IMDb > "Barney & Friends" (1992) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Barney & Friends"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Barney & Friends" More at IMDbPro »

Page 5 of 8: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [Next]

Barney is evil I tells ya! EVIL!

Author: Salazar from New Zealand
23 October 2007

Barney is that idiot dinosaur who (unfortunaltely) didn't go extinct with the other dinosaurs many eons ago. Instead he sings stupid songs and has stupid morals about life that are 100% worthless and/or extremely dangerous: that is "STRANGERS ARE YOUR FRIENDS YOU HAVEN'T MET YET!". The reason why I say he's evil? Well, on YouTube, there's a video of a Barney song about toy balls. When it's played backwards, it comes out as "WE'LL ALL COME HANG YOU! LET'S STAB THE KNOCKERS!". Don't believe me? See it for yourself! I also read on another review that they are now reading out PC folklore and fairy tales. Now that is just stupid with a capital S! I mean, really! Anyways, I don't recommend letting your kids watch this filth as it contains stupid morals like strangers are your friends (as said before), there is never a reason to be sad and if you are sad eat junk food, being an individual is taboo, magic can solve all of your problems and heaps of other ridiculous crap.

Give it a break

Author: mann700 from Atlanta, ga
18 January 2007

OK. Is Barney the best children's show of all time? Of course not. But in some of the comments left by other members of IMDb you would think it was a multi million dollar production with high class actors and a ridiculous budget for special effects. Well guess what? It's Barney for God's sake. He shows children good behavior, good manors and that it's OK to be who you are. For those of you who find him annoying that is because you are not five years old and the show was not meant for you. To the IMDb member who wrote the review on the first page I think you may have gone a little too far. Did you actually describe a Sesame Street character as "down to Earth"? Grow up everyone, this is a great show for preschoolers and actually does help children learn in a fun and creative way.

Some choose Barney, some profanity and crude language..

Author: marcnatalya from United States
23 September 2005

Everyone chooses for himself of course. Crude and uneducated people ridicule Barney, while kind and pure at heart love it. That's why Wikipedia encyclopedia describes this show as loved by children and hated by adults. Isn't it better to say and hear " I love you" and have your child growing up on these words, than to hear " shut up" hundreds times a day from a parent? Don't you all hear enough "shut ups" not only from parents but copied and repeated by small children even addressing their smaller siblings.. Doesn't America treasure an image of cultural nation.. Don't you know what an American thought overseas of? Crude and stupid.. Maybe because that's not the Barney show the adult Americans were watching in childhood and the morals of which they practice in their grown up lives as well. According to a major study of Interactive Technology Univerisity of Austin, Tx-"Children who watched Barney show between 2 and 5 years old have better sharing and other positive social behavior" My child of 2 years old never fights for toys, greets all the children that he sees, even though most of the children even don't wave back.. Parents now days seem not to take time to teach their children social manners, nor they think highly of Barney evidently. I have not seen all of Barney shows of course, but I don't agree that there is no individualism on the show. All children that play on the show now days are so different. I also don't agree to those who claim that Barney states that it's wrong or immoral to be unhappy or sad or angry.. There was a recent show about people's feelings where Barney was stating that it's OK to be angry, but you have to communicate with each other and talk your anger over. The parents should remember that Barney is only a "helping hand" and coach children right on social dangers that Barney may not cover as sexual abuse etc. You can't take off parents responsibility and scream that it's Barney's fault that children are so trusting and naive. Parents are to be responsible for their children. Barney is to help to form social skills that most parents don't have time to take time to teach their children to. To me and my child Barney is fun to watch.. When he gets older he may outgrow Barney, but that's fine, I know he will carry the knowledge of sharing and kindness with him that Barney shows help me to coach my child on. When you think about morals that Barney is carrying to our children, they are very similar to the Bible's morals. Please don't put the Bible morals down as well. At least remember what you do when you go to your Sunday church with a solemn face. Don't be a hypocrite.

"Barney is our family's best friend!!

Author: anonymous
12 February 1999

We love the TV series "Barney & Friends" and the home videos, too. He is very educational and he is fun. He uses songs and talks in a child like manner to make learning fun. I highly recommend this PBS series. Every episode teaches a variety of different things, but the the shows have a basic theme. Some good teaching shows that I personally recommend are: "Alphabet Soup" -in this show Derek uses letters to spell out a word and he tries to teach Kathy and Min how to read it. To do this, Barney and the children sing a song and/or play a game with each letter of the word. (Cast of characters: Barney, Baby Bop, Derek, Kathy, Min, and Tina) "Barney's Colors and Shapes" -this is a bonus two-pack show that uses fun games to teach about basic colors and shapes. (Cast of characters: First show "Red, Blue, and Circles too" Barney, Baby Bop, Tosha, Michael, Kathy, Tina; "The Treasure of Rainbow Beard" Barney, Derek, Michael, Kathy, Min) "Barney's Parade of Numbers" -this show has a guest apppearance by a special character named Mr. Tenagain; who of course loves games and songs that have the number ten in them. The children, along with Barney, Mr. Tenagain, and Baby Bop, sing lots of fun songs and even read a book that involve counting from 1 to 10.(Cast of characters: Barney, Baby Bop, Mr. Tenagain, Tosha, Michael, Kathy, Min) "1-2-3-4-5 Senses" -this show is obviously about the senses. The children meet a blind girl named Patty and learn about their senses in the meantime. (Cast of Characters: Barney, Michael, Luci, Kathy, Tina, Patty) "Playing it Safe" -this show is about a lot of different safety rules including, car safety, safety crossing streets, not talking to strangers, and picking up your toys so that you do not fall and get hurt. (Cast of Characters: Barney, Baby Bop, Derek, Luci, Kathy, Min) "1-2-3-4 Seasons" -Home Video; BJ gets upset because he can't play all the sports he wants because the seasons are wrong. Barney and the children take BJ to every season in one day by using some magic jars. (Cast of Characters: Barney, BJ, Shawn, Tosha, Maria, Rebeccah) "Home Sweet Homes" -teaches about different kinds of homes for animals and people. (Cast of Characters: Barney, Tosha, Michael, Kathy, Tina) * "Barney Songs" is something I greatly recommend, especially children under one year old. It is scenes from the "Barney & Friends" series of 1995. (Cast of Characters: Barney, Baby Bop, BJ, Shawn, Tosha, Jason, Kathy, Juan, Carlos, Min, Kenneth, Julie) I highly recommend Barney to any parents of children ages 6 and under.

One of the Worst Shows of All Time

Author: WalletGuy from Hill Valley, California
9 September 2003

Hands down the most cloying kids' show ever. Maybe the most cloying show of ANY kind. And it isn't the big purple dinosaur that has parents and others dreaming of the series extinction- it's those hyperactive, overacting children, mugging and prancing in ways even Soupy Sales couldn't have imagined. "Jurassic Park" was never as scary as Barney & Friends.

We Must Remember This is A Kids Show.

Author: (robocoptng986127@aol.com) from U.S.A
19 November 2002

I know parents across the nation do not like this show and ridicule it constantly. I've watched a few episodes and it really isn't as bad as everyone says it is. But we must remember this show is for very young kids.

Barney is a stuffed purple dinosaur who comes to life magically and plays with kids in school. Barney's friends include Baby Bop, a green dinosaur and B.J., a yellow one. Barney and the kids would do all kinds of stuff. Sometimes Stella the Storyteller would come and tell the kids interesting stories. The kids also learn lessons about not talking to strangers and how to share. Though it may not be the best kids show ever made, it's still one of the best shows to entertain your kids. Would you rather have your kids watch poor quality cartoons like The Powerpuff Girls or Cow & Chicken? Worse: Ed, Edd & Eddy! So be thankful you've got hosts like Barney who will teach your kids right from wrong instead of teaching them how to be criminals. When you painstakingly watch Barney with your kids next time, just keep in mind: it could be worse.

A severely underrated (and a classic) show

Author: SonicHOG from Edina, MN, United States
15 June 2009

I can understand how Barney can be annoying to some, but the hatred he gets is very ridiculous. Barney was made simply right from the beginning and simplicity isn't bad, especially for the young ones he entertains. I personally find this show to be very underrated period. Barney & Friends is a very educational show in my opinion and even 17 years after its debut (and nearly 21 years after the character's debut on home video), he proves time and time again that he still appeals to young children. Maybe less so than in the early 90's where Barney was the Hannah Montana of the time, but he's still a classic. As a fan of Barney myself, I feel that I should defend him in a way that doesn't seem like spam. The way the purple guy teaches things may be very simplistic and unrealistic, but would you rather have them hearing about war? Be thankful some one (a costumed dinosaur, but still) is there to comfort kids and let them be kids simply. In this day and age, I feel that we rush our kids to grow up and Barney is there to say you can still be a child at heart. In addition, many of Barney's lessons on current episodes about plagiarism, being honest, and yes... even death, could appeal to everyone, not just his target audience. Besides, our children need to learn to be kind and respect others for who they are, and he helps them do that. In short, Barney may be annoying to some people and I completely understand why, but cut him some slack. All he and his friends (along with HIT Entertainment, his production company) are trying to do is help kids not only learn necessary skills, but to have fun and to also look at the positive parts of life. If more people listened to their children's favorite character and viewed him through their eyes, maybe we wouldn't be so negative about him and possibly life itself.

Wow Psycotherapy is alive and well in the USA

Author: billr672002-1 from Ireland
23 October 2008

I'm not claiming to be a Barney fan however both of my Children love him, and my daughter is still the smart mouth scamp that my wife and I love so I'd be less inclined to worry about the effect Barney has on a child's individuality and more concerned about how deeply Barney has affected some of the people who've commented on the show here (boy some of you really need help so seek it fast). My son simply loves him and watching his happy smiling reaction when the big purple goon appears on TV makes me feel great. He's too young to care if Barney is singing about Incy Wincy Spider or the War in Iraq! One thing I do agree with though is that bloody Ice Cream song, I saw three episodes recently and they all contained that song. I mean come on who sponsors this show? Ben and Jerry's? Haagen-Daz? Give it a rest please.

I Love Barney

Author: hanleymac from Orange County, California
2 July 2004

I Love Barney. "Barney & Friends" is a innocent tv show, and there aren't many left. The only reason people hate it so much is because there is no perversions and filthiness.

People love perversions and filthiness. They like to watch Howard Stern, Jerry Springer, and MTV. Those shows are popular because they exploit freaks and sexuality, and they use curse words, and this degenerate society loves filth.

Barney teaches rightness, goodness, and morality. Barney and Sesame Street are the only good PBS shows out there. Everytime Barney sings the "I Love You" song at the end, I sing with him. Barney is always nice and cheerful. No sadness or depression or insanity or putdowns or wisecracks, just goodness and love.

No respect

Author: sngbrd39 from US
21 July 2000

I have very little respect for a show that talks down to its audience. "Barney and Friends" is one of the worst perpetrators of this crime. One may say that it's made for a certain age range and it appeals to them, but to those who do, I have two words: "Sesame Street". "Sesame Street" is geared mostly towards the same audience and deals with many of the same topics as "Barney", but it treats that audience a lot more intelligently, with better writing, characters, acting, etc. "Barney" is just a half-hour of mind-meltingly overt cuteness with some education thrown in somewhere.

Page 5 of 8: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [Next]