IMDb > "Barney & Friends" (1992) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Barney & Friends"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Barney & Friends" More at IMDbPro »

Page 5 of 8: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [Next]

We Must Remember This is A Kids Show.

Author: ( from U.S.A
19 November 2002

I know parents across the nation do not like this show and ridicule it constantly. I've watched a few episodes and it really isn't as bad as everyone says it is. But we must remember this show is for very young kids.

Barney is a stuffed purple dinosaur who comes to life magically and plays with kids in school. Barney's friends include Baby Bop, a green dinosaur and B.J., a yellow one. Barney and the kids would do all kinds of stuff. Sometimes Stella the Storyteller would come and tell the kids interesting stories. The kids also learn lessons about not talking to strangers and how to share. Though it may not be the best kids show ever made, it's still one of the best shows to entertain your kids. Would you rather have your kids watch poor quality cartoons like The Powerpuff Girls or Cow & Chicken? Worse: Ed, Edd & Eddy! So be thankful you've got hosts like Barney who will teach your kids right from wrong instead of teaching them how to be criminals. When you painstakingly watch Barney with your kids next time, just keep in mind: it could be worse.

4 reasons this show is bad

Author: asaloverboy7 from United States
26 January 2014

1. CHILD ABDUCTION - Barney is telling us "A stranger is a friend you haven't met". That is basically telling them there are no bad people (I know they're little kids and they don't understand murderers, thieves, But all the other educational shows, books and even our parents have said "Never talk to strangers". So picture this - you're a two-year-old Barney viewer, you're at the playground in the sandbox and a man walks up to you and says "Hey you, you wanna come with me?" and you say "Yes, because you're a friend I haven't met". And your parents look up from a newspaper or magazine they were reading and see you getting into the man's car. And the parents run up to the car but they make it there too late. You've been kidnapped.

2. OBESITY - The only food they eat on the show is junk food. This is teaching kids that the only kind of food in the world you can eat is sugary foods. And our parents have always said that junk food is bad for us. So when we're one or two, our minds are completely open. And when we see those kids on Barney eating nothing but junk, we think that's the only kind of food in the world. So, later in life when you've eaten nothing but sugar in your life so far, you become overweight, obese, or maybe even have diabetes.

3. KIDS STEALING AND CHEATING - According to Barney, cheating is "creative thinking". So cheating on tests by writing the answers on your arm is "creative"? Our parents have always told us that cheating is wrong. Also according to Barney, stealing is "okay as long as the person you stole from doesn't know it's gone". Don't even get me started on this. STEALING IS OKAY?!!! So say you're a one-year-old Barney viewer with a mind completely open and you hear Barney say that. Years later, you're in a video game store and you find a game that you really want but you don't have enough money for it. Then you think "Wait a minute, didn't someone tell me as a baby stealing is okay?". So you shoplift the video game and you get caught and arrested. What you would you say? "The purple dinosaur made me do it"?.

4. ADULT/CHILDREN RELATIONSHIPS - Revert you back to the previous quote "A stranger is a friend you haven't met". Also Barney is also teaching children that they should love everyone and give everyone a big kiss on the cheek. So picture this - you're a two-year-old Barney viewer and you're at the playground in the sandbox and a man walks up to you and you stand up and give him a kiss on the cheek, after that the man gets a strange (you know what I mean) look on his face and asks you if you would like to go with him and well, I think you can see where I'm going from here.

Wow Psycotherapy is alive and well in the USA

Author: billr672002-1 from Ireland
23 October 2008

I'm not claiming to be a Barney fan however both of my Children love him, and my daughter is still the smart mouth scamp that my wife and I love so I'd be less inclined to worry about the effect Barney has on a child's individuality and more concerned about how deeply Barney has affected some of the people who've commented on the show here (boy some of you really need help so seek it fast). My son simply loves him and watching his happy smiling reaction when the big purple goon appears on TV makes me feel great. He's too young to care if Barney is singing about Incy Wincy Spider or the War in Iraq! One thing I do agree with though is that bloody Ice Cream song, I saw three episodes recently and they all contained that song. I mean come on who sponsors this show? Ben and Jerry's? Haagen-Daz? Give it a rest please.

Barney is evil I tells ya! EVIL!

Author: Salazar from New Zealand
23 October 2007

Barney is that idiot dinosaur who (unfortunaltely) didn't go extinct with the other dinosaurs many eons ago. Instead he sings stupid songs and has stupid morals about life that are 100% worthless and/or extremely dangerous: that is "STRANGERS ARE YOUR FRIENDS YOU HAVEN'T MET YET!". The reason why I say he's evil? Well, on YouTube, there's a video of a Barney song about toy balls. When it's played backwards, it comes out as "WE'LL ALL COME HANG YOU! LET'S STAB THE KNOCKERS!". Don't believe me? See it for yourself! I also read on another review that they are now reading out PC folklore and fairy tales. Now that is just stupid with a capital S! I mean, really! Anyways, I don't recommend letting your kids watch this filth as it contains stupid morals like strangers are your friends (as said before), there is never a reason to be sad and if you are sad eat junk food, being an individual is taboo, magic can solve all of your problems and heaps of other ridiculous crap.

Give it a break

Author: mann700 from Atlanta, ga
18 January 2007

OK. Is Barney the best children's show of all time? Of course not. But in some of the comments left by other members of IMDb you would think it was a multi million dollar production with high class actors and a ridiculous budget for special effects. Well guess what? It's Barney for God's sake. He shows children good behavior, good manors and that it's OK to be who you are. For those of you who find him annoying that is because you are not five years old and the show was not meant for you. To the IMDb member who wrote the review on the first page I think you may have gone a little too far. Did you actually describe a Sesame Street character as "down to Earth"? Grow up everyone, this is a great show for preschoolers and actually does help children learn in a fun and creative way.

I Love Barney

Author: hanleymac from Orange County, California
2 July 2004

I Love Barney. "Barney & Friends" is a innocent tv show, and there aren't many left. The only reason people hate it so much is because there is no perversions and filthiness.

People love perversions and filthiness. They like to watch Howard Stern, Jerry Springer, and MTV. Those shows are popular because they exploit freaks and sexuality, and they use curse words, and this degenerate society loves filth.

Barney teaches rightness, goodness, and morality. Barney and Sesame Street are the only good PBS shows out there. Everytime Barney sings the "I Love You" song at the end, I sing with him. Barney is always nice and cheerful. No sadness or depression or insanity or putdowns or wisecracks, just goodness and love.

No respect

Author: sngbrd39 from US
21 July 2000

I have very little respect for a show that talks down to its audience. "Barney and Friends" is one of the worst perpetrators of this crime. One may say that it's made for a certain age range and it appeals to them, but to those who do, I have two words: "Sesame Street". "Sesame Street" is geared mostly towards the same audience and deals with many of the same topics as "Barney", but it treats that audience a lot more intelligently, with better writing, characters, acting, etc. "Barney" is just a half-hour of mind-meltingly overt cuteness with some education thrown in somewhere.

The Barney and Friends Show is an oasis in this world full of violent cartoons and movies for children.

Author: roxifoxiv from Puerto Rico
4 August 2005

Me and my kids have seen this series since my older child was 3 in 1997, and they love it. My little girl, now 2, sings along with Barney many songs that the characters sing in the show. My older children sing along too, and I also encourage this singing while I sing with them.

In the show kids learn to make friends and to play with others. It also shows the importance of friendship, companionship, sharing, cooperation, and good behavior between friends. In general, some of the values that are very important for the developing children. It also teaches some other skills, like music, colors, shapes, numbers, and promotes the use of imagination.

I enjoy to see cartoons with my children, so I can decide whether a show is appropriate or not for my children to see. I have seen some shows and cartoons that disguise themselves as good for children. But when you see them, you realize that they teach the youngsters to steal, to lie, to deceive, to have a violent behavior and to take advantage of others. And that is true for some cartoons, movies for children and TV ads that the children see on TV while watching their favorite cartoons.

Shows like Barney and Friends are like an oasis in this world full of violent cartoons and movies. Producers should make more of this kind of cartoon for young children.

Barney & Friends is a very educational show for kids

Author: filipinopinay92
23 June 2005

Barney & Friends is a very good show and it teaches children how to act in real life. Like when I was little, I liked to watch this show also. Now my little sister watches this show also, now that I'm a teen, I still watch it. I cannot resist this show because when my sister watches it, she lets into watching it. Even tho, it says it's for ages 1- 8 I still watch it, it is so interesting how my sister reacts when she watches Barney and see kids on the show. My sister dances and copy everything the kids do. I can't imagine that I'm still watching it today. Kids will like this show a lot. They will learn a lot from watching "Barney & Friends."

Remember! It's a Kid's show!!!!!

Author: pinkprincess88 from Michigan, U.S.
29 November 2002

From the adult perspective, this show would seems really stupid and horrible. But for my brother and I as toddlers watching the show, I loved it. My brother and I learned things about sharing, different cultures, mixing colors, etc. At the time, I thought it was a great show. You all have to remember, IT IS A KIDS SHOW. It is not meant to make tons of sense in a real-world setting or be a wonderful, inspiring show (actually, to a toddler, it is a wonderful and inspiring show). It's just a nice, entertaining program for very young children. Nothing more, nothing less. But then again, are any childrens shows anything more than that? No. Barney and Friends has given me some really fond childhood memories of just enjoying things for what they were, not analyzing them. Save the horrors of that for when children are older. Anyway, If you really want some bad childrens television, watch teletubbies. You'll probably become dumber.

Page 5 of 8: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [Next]