IMDb > "Barney & Friends" (1992) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Barney & Friends"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratings

"Barney & Friends" More at IMDbPro »

Page 3 of 8: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [Next]

Dissing Barney Does NOT Make You Cool.

Author: powermandan from Canada
3 October 2015

Barney has gained reception as being one of the worst TV shows ever. The main reason being that everybody is too "cool" or too "mature." "I can't watch Barney because I'm too cool!" You don't understand that it is a kid's show only. You don't remember what it is like being a kid that young. You don't even know what Barney contains!!!

Something I will say is that Barney overstayed his welcome. It was on the air for almost 20 years and got very repetitive and stale the last half of his run. But the older episodes are the good ones. Unlike, say, Sesame Street, Barney's age range is smaller like under the age of 7. Everybody talks in cheesy and juvenile voices. That is because it is a juvenile show! Many kid shows are like that! Barney is no different. "Why doesn't Barney teach things like counting and not dangers of drugs and everything?" Tell me, what kind of 3-year-old is hooked on drugs? Give an example of a toddler that does not need to be taught how to count. because I watched Barney and listened to his lessons, I was way ahead of most students by the time I got into school.

What I really hate is when people say Barney is one dimensional because everybody is too happy all the time and there's no seriousness involved. A: that is 100% false. B: why not have a happy show? Every show for kids tries to be as happy as can be!!!! There's lots of bad things in the world today, so good thing Barney can provide the happy escape that is much needed. I wish I was that innocent and happy all the time! And saying Barney is one dimensional because it is just happiness is plain false. I remember there was almost an entire episode dedicated to Steven losing his favourite stuffed animal. That was depressing! I'll never forget when Chip got all angry when Baby Bop accidentally busted his tower. Here's some proof that you're all wrong. I remember seeing a couple of reviews about the dangers of"A Stranger is A Friend You Haven't Met" episode. THERE IS NO SUCH EPISODE!!!!! He has a song about the dangers of talking to strangers. It's not just that, people say Barney sends the wrong message to kids because they only teach that everything can be solved with magic and imagination and that's not how the real world it. *facepalm* Sure everything is imaginary, but is an allegorical message about what can happen when you put your mind to things. Let your mind and imagination soar and you will be surprised with what can accomplish. Since this is a show for kids, the magic is imaginary friends that help kids.

All you Barney haters are probably struggling to find your next batch of weed.

Barney is the Devil!! Or so a lot of idiots would have you believe....

Author: georgefamilycrafts from US
12 November 2014

Many folks on these reviews have either never watched the show or allow the television to raise their children. This show is great for preschoolers and my kids both loved it when they were little. In my case, I actually monitor what my children watch, and I find nothing wrong with Barney. The show tries to promote what most of us accept as good social behavior. Some of the reviews on here are so ridiculous that I will not even try to respond to them. I would hate to hear what the same people think about the old cartoons I watched as a kid. Great show for preschoolers... don't listen to these trolls with these absolutely ignorant, bad reviews. Thanks, Actual parent of two young kids that loved Barney as toddlers!

barney is just another kids program

Author: ahmay88 from nz
1 March 2011

what is it 2 adults? what barney does, its not a show for you??? As long as it keeps your kids entertained and their having fun...watt more can you ask for??? At the end of the day your kids comes first!!!! I reckon you as a parent should teach your kids whats wrong and whats right NOT barney he's just a t.v show like any other preschool shows.. did you forget that. he's not your kids teacher he's just a t.v show.. and what kind of person teaches their 2year old kid reality?whats wrong with you??? whats wrong with imagination?(for example:)

look at most of the people in the world using Santa as image to your kids instead of you telling the the truth about giving them the gift so you guys are using imaginations ?? and another example:

tooth fairies?? instead of taking your kids tooth!! WHY do you tell them that a tooth fairy is taking their tooth for money why not tell them truth if you don't want to use imagination...

the list can keep going on and on....

so and the end off the day your kids come 1st if they chooses to watch barney let them and if anything seems wrong to you well teach them the right-way how its suppose to be cause remember barney is not your kids teacher YOU are!!!!

I can't believe how badly this show got slaughtered

Author: sinisterdrecc88 from United States
28 March 2009

OK, when I was little (and I mean like 2 or 3, not 6 and 7) Barney was one of my favorite shows. I then grew out of it and threw all my old Barney tapes away. So one day as I'm flipping through channels, I see that Barney now takes place in a caboose, and I thought "Um huh is this the right show?" Once I realized it was, I freaked. Why did they change the show's setting from a school to a CABOOSE? Ever since then, the show has been absolutely terrible, and the only reason I'm giving it a 2 is a) because I'm nice, b) because of Riff, and c) because in the old times the show was tolerable. Now I just hate it. HATE IT.

Corny!

Author: Lynne Bates from United Kingdom
24 June 2008

I AM NOT LYNNE BATES MY NAMES IS RITICHIE BUT LYNNE IS MY MUM I'M JUST USING HER ACCOUNT! Barney and Friends, (Or Barney, as it is called here in England) is the corniest show ever. I never really liked it, It had been about for 3 or 4 years when I was born, so It was nothing new. My friend, however, loved this dildo of a show. I was about 6, and I was at his house once, and he had a Barney VHS tape playing on the TV. I turned the power off, and he burst into tears. GROW UP ITS A TALKING DINOSAUR FOR CHRISTS SAKE! Anyway, I happened to catch the Barney movie on TV later that year, and I loved it. I got the VHS of it a few months later, and I wore the tape out I loved it so much! I gave that tape away a few years ago now, but I loved it at the time. But the show! My god the show was bad! Several kids fell victims to paedophiles because of this butt plug of so called entertainment! Never again, never again! Its not just me who hates Barney, either! 85% of all the comments on this show are bad, and and just look at the amount of You Tube Poops and videos that take the mess out of Barney are on You Tube! And don't get me started on Blow Job BJ! Why the hell would the producers dare give a character such a sexual name! Yet another subliminal message in a kid's show! And that Baby Bop is the worst thing since Osama Bin Laden! All in all, I give Barney and Friends MINUS 1000 OUT OF 10!

It's really a good show

Author: AnnEliz5 from Southern California
10 March 2004

I have been watching this since my 9 year old nephew was just a year old. Over the years, and now that my own children watch it, I see it differently. My son really remembers the things that Barney and Friends teaches and I am thankful. It's almost like Barney confirms the things I teach my son and they seem to sink in better (say manners). I have noticed that even at my age, I have favorite characters and can see the obvious difference between the original shows when it was The Backyard gang, and the new shows. Since this is meant for kids and it really gets down there with kids, it seems that parents and other grown ups who find it annoying, should just leave the room. I personally didn't start liking the show until I sat down with my nephew and watched it with him, singing and dancing with him. He had so much fun seeing me do what they were doing! Yay for Barney!

Good Comments

Author: storybookcorner from U.S.
6 April 2004

All four of my children watched this show during their preschooler years. I have a two-year-old who watches every day and owns a couple of videos.

This show is about using your imagination. It teaches musical skills. It teaches the alphabet, numbers, memorization, and good behavioral techniques. When the show originally aired it was all imagination. Barney was a stuffed toy owned by a girl named Tina who imagined she was back at school playing with her friends and classroom toys. Now it has evolved to a treehouse in the center of a park and the focus is friendship. Thanks to everything decent this show has to offer, my kids have grown up more intelligent and they are not afraid to show off their knowledge and talents.

Bottom line - my kids are happier because of Barney being a part of their lives. That makes this show TOPS in my book!

Here are my thoughts on the big purple carnivore:

Author: perni from Owensboro, KY
18 July 2002

Yeah, I watched this show back in the day, but not religiously. And looking back, there are some odd things to note about it. For example, the school that the kids and Barney hung out in...why was it always empty? There were never any adults around, so we can't conclude that the children attended some sort of after-school program. They could go anywhere, even the classrooms! Something tells me they paid off the old janitor for his ring of keys and just went wild. Finding the dino doll was just an insanely drug-induced perk. What, you're saying these kids weren't high? THEY SAW GIANT DINOSAURS! Also, if you watch the very early shows, the kids who met Barney were always white upper class tykes with swimming pools. As the show progressed and got even more popular, however, everyone had to get politically correct, so they added the black kid, the Asian girl, the Siamese twins, the kid with headgear, the kid in a wheelchair, the girl with a dead fetus attached to the side of her head. No wait, that was South Park. Also, some of these kids were REALLY too old to be hanging out with Barney by the time the show ended. There was this blonde guy who just kept showing up, and he had to be, like, 15 or 16. Sheesh dude, get a girlfriend! The dino's bringing you down! All the kids are like, hey, did you hear about Rick? He's still talking to that dinosaur! Sheesh, what a dip! We stopped visiting him in the fourth grade!

And finally, I hated Baby Bop. I still do. She was simply the most annoying character to ever hit television. Oh, and what about her brother BJ? I'm not going to say anything more about that...

Haters Gonna Hate

Author: zsofikam
24 December 2016

For a bit of background, I really enjoyed this show a lot when I was younger. My possessions included a Barney doll and some DVDs and I even saw Barney at Universal Studios. However, once I got to grade school I began to jump on the anti-Barney bandwagon with my classmates. It was when I began my babysitting job that I noticed how much many of my charges loved Barney that I remembered how much I myself used to like it. I've heard some people complain about how Barney only teaches about happiness. What's wrong with happiness? Do you think young kids need to be shown sadness, anger, and fear? Kids aren't immune to life an their lives are more than what they see on a TV show. Plus, it doesn't teach exclusively happiness. There are times when it talks about sadness, anger, fear, embarrassment, etc. It is true that they are happy most of the time but what else would you expect from a preschool show. While that is the main complaint I see, apparently people actually insult kid's shows for being too imaginative. Apparently there's a surprising amount of people who think imagination must be drug-fueled and I'm not sure if they're serious or joking but if your serious, hear me out. Imagination is a wonderful thing and was how you came up with what to write in your reviews. If you don't like it then fine, you're allowed to have your opinion but please don't hold a show's penchant for joy and imagination against it.

Loved this show as a kid and now as a parent I love being able to share this show with my daughter who absolutely loves it!

Author: joyaugustyn
25 May 2016

After reading so many negative reviews I felt that I needed to write my own review. As a child this show was great! It taught me how to have a very active imagination, it gave me a love for music and dancing and it taught me how to see the good in things and how to keep a positive outlook. I loved the show so much I even named our dog Barney ( the dog we got when I was about 4 and was completely obsessed with the show).

I had totally forgot about Barney for the most part until one day I started singing a song to my daughter that was from the show. So I found a whole bunch of the old episodes and movies that I watched when I was little on YouTube for my daughter to watch. One episode in she was hooked and I remembered every single song and taught her how to sing along with them. One thing I really like about the show is that it encourages kids to get up and move and dance while watching the show. Most little kid shows seem to try to get the kid to just sit still for the whole thing. Yes the music is simplistic, because its for little kids.

One of the reviewers complained about how all of the kids looked and dressed the same. I have to say that's completely wrong. This was a show that had kids from all different nationalities and body types as I am typing this up my daughter has an episode on and in it there is a girl of Asian descent, a Latino girl who is on the chunkier side, a African American boy and only 1 white boy and each of them have their own distinctive style. If you look at plenty of other kid shows there is a lot less diversity. Another reviewer complained about the show only showing junk food, and we just watch an episode where all the snack were either fruits, vegetables, or nuts, not to mention Barney has its own song about eating apples and bananas.

Another reviewer complained about the kids always being happy, which again is not true there are plenty of episodes showing a whole range of emotions, from jealousy, anger, fear and so on. But each one talks about how to handle your feelings, and yes how to have a positive outlook ( which by the way, its been proved that the most successful people are the ones with a positive attitude).

Lastly while it does have some educational qualities its not a crazy amount but TV is not supposed to be educational. TV is for entertainment and if you are relying on TV to educate your kids, you will be failing them, Parents need to take an active part in their kids education and not expect a TV show to do it for them.

Pretty much all kids shows are somewhat annoying but Barney is far less annoying then Kipper or Cailliou, or the Barbie movies ( don't even get me started on them, fighting over glitter, enough said). Also Barney does not push any agenda on the show. There are plenty of shows out there that are pushing their own view points on kids and I am thankful that Barney doesn't. That way my child can approach any issue with no pre-conceived notions and her and I can have an open and honest discussion so that she can make up her own mind on what she believes without feeling like her favorite TV show taught her to believe something else!

Page 3 of 8: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [Next]