IMDb > "Slayers Try" (1997) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

"Slayers Try" More at IMDbPro »"Sureiyâzu Try" (original title)

Good, but not "Next"

Author: Auryn-4 from Sweden
22 March 2001

While I enjoyed this series, I found it to be a little anti-climatic when seen after "next" and still having that series fresh in mind. In "Try", the plot is more complicated (I got totally lost at times), the filler-episodes are somewhat less good than the previous fillers, and I was very disappointed in that Lina cast the Giga-Slave after what happened last time. There was no chemistry between Lina and Gourry this time =( , but on the other hand, Amelia is starting to get hooked on someone (hehe...). Also, I totally adored the interaction between Filia and Xellos. And I loved Valgaav! He had that sad, pained air about him that just makes me want to be on his side instead...

But what's up with no Drag-queen episode? ;-) I missed that. Would have loved to see Zelgadis in drag again... ;-) The closest they got in "try" was dressing Gourry up as a mermaid to make a virgin sacrifice out of him for a dragon.

See it!

/Anna

Get Along, Try Again

Author: SoulfulFX from Virginia
27 January 2004

While not quite as good as Slayers Next, Try does seem to have a slightly more serious undertone in the story line than the previous two Slayers seasons. There are still lots of comedy moments, but nothing quite like what Next or the first season pulled.

Try seems to have more of a moral story to it than the other two, and that may make it seem bogged down at times compared to Next, but if it is watched in the context of having seen the other two series, understanding those first two seasons will make Try more accessible.

It's awesome ! Love it !

Author: dira*^^* from London, England
1 January 2000

Another adventure yet for Lina, Gourry, Zelgadiss & Amelia ! This is the best Slayers episode yet ! It's twisted, full of evil things, new enchanting characters, cool plot. yup, definitely a must see. It's related to the other two series and this one is the best in my POV. I love the new characters and also old ones. It's gruesome and sad at the same time...anyway, it you're a fan of Slayers, don't miss this !

Terrible

Author: DarthBill from United States
9 April 2003

A real insult to anime. After "NEXT" this was just more of the same but without the same charm and spunk, regardless of whether you're watching it dubbed or in the original Japanese language. Lina still has fire and an erratically whimsical nature, but she has lost much of the girlish charm that made her a winner with the audience in the first place. Here, she's just an annoying, spoiled, selfish, and self-righteous little bitch. Gourry, after his swan song moment at the end of "NEXT", has little or nothing to do here except standing around, looking befuddled, and saying or doing the wrong thing at the wrong time (and how could he give up the Sword of Light like that, after all he's been through?). Amelia is still Amelia, thank goodness, but Zelgadis... well, he's lost something. Filia was okay, but I never really liked Xellos. And after a while, I found I couldn't even like the bad guys. This is like the M*A*S*H of anime, and not in a good way. This season is so self-righteous and full of itself and its own bloated message of tolerance that it's more annoying than fun.