IMDb > "Slayers Next" (1996) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Slayers Next"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratings

"Slayers Next" More at IMDbPro »

"Lina... could you consider MY feelings a little next time?"

Author: DarthBill from United States
17 August 2004

Probably the best of the three "Slayers" TV seasons, this one has Lina Inverse, the short, scrawny, bad tempered, feisty red haired sorceress with an unquenchable appetite, Gourry Gabriev, her big blond idiot swordsman friend, Zelgadis the cranky man of stone, and bouncy, justice loving princess Amelia going out on a quest to find a legendary book called the Claire Bible, hoping that it can save the world from a threat from the demonic monsters who wish to destroy our lovely little world. Along the way they are dogged by the mysterious (and obnoxious) Xellos, the obsessive Princess Martina who wants to destroy Lina because Lina blew up her home town, and once again they are eventually joined by Sylphiel, Gourry's fan-girl like admirer.

Better animation than the first season and far less obnoxious and self-righteous than the ensuing "TRY", "NEXT" comes closest to balancing the nuances of the characters with lots of slapstick humor and drama. The English dub track is actually pretty decent (and keeps closer to the original Japanese dialogue than most English dubs) with Lisa Ortiz (Lina), Eric Stuart (Gourry), Crispin Freeman (Zelgadis) and Veronica Taylor (Amelia) giving their all, but what would essentially be one of the better English dubs is ruined by the crucial casting error of David Moo as Xellos. I don't know what the casting people were thinking, but David Moo is badly miscast as Xellos, making the character sound most annoying, borderline stereotypical nerd, when he should sound smooth and slick; unless the original and proper Japanese interpretation of Xellos IS an annoying little nerd.

But for those of you who don't listen to the English dub, it's all good. Favorite moments include the oxy-moronic attacks of Amelia's dad Prince Philionel of Seyruun and Gourry being turned evil and unleashed against the other characters. Lina's unexpected attraction to Gourry is also funny along with nice opening and closing theme songs.

LINA: "Just how long do you plan on protecting me?"

GOURRY: "I dunno... the rest of my life?"

LINA [blushing & incredulous]: "The rest of your...?"

Go to Next, and then Again

Author: SoulfulFX from Virginia
27 January 2004

Of the three Slayers series, this perhaps is the best. The comedy moments, the action moments -especially Lina and the Lord of Nightmares-, and the story in general are all great.

There are no shortage of times where the characters get chances for embarrassing moments but come right back with an awesome fight scene.

Next can be a stand-alone season, but some parts of it viewers may not understand unless they've seen Slayers.

So, what happens NEXT?

Author: SSJAniFan from Pine Valley, California
24 June 2003

Contains some spoilers

I haven't seen the original series/season, but I was able to catch two of the episodes of Next on the International Channel, and they interested me. After I earned enough, I bought the Slayers Next DVD box set.... and believe me, it's great.

The main plot for this season is Lina and co. are reunited when annoying whiner Martina and her father capture Amelia during some negotiations. Let's just say that Martina and her pop's plans soon fall apart. Afterwards, Lina learns Zelgadis is searching for the Claire Bible, so they team up to search for it. Martina, who wants revenge, but can't honestly think of a plot to really threaten them, follows. They meet Xellos, who is also searching for his own reasons, and form a somewhat uneasy alliance with him. And things just go more crazy from there.

When they're not searching for the Claire Bible they're fighting evil monsters and stuff, in some stories that can take up to seven episodes. The great blend of action and humor make this a must-see. While some stories are more focused on humor(the one where they try to cook a dragon is HILARIOUS), some are a bit more serious(like when Hellmaster kidnaps Gourry).

The animation is great, the music is great, and the voices are great... well the Japanese ones anyway. The English dub is okay, at best, and though some of the voices are somewhat tolerable, some, like Xellos, really get on my nerves. Only watch the English dub if that's the only format you're able to get your hands on.

BOTTOM LINE: If you get the International Channel, watch it. If you see ANY of the old videos, get them. If you have enough cash, buy the DVD box set. Just see this series, or you will be missing out on something great. P.S., Cartoon Network, if you're reading, add this to Adult Swim!!!

A very amusing and fun series.

Author: moussegirl from USA
1 May 2002

Slayers Next shows you that maybe sequels can be better than the originals. The series of Slayers gave us a not-so-typical leading female and continued to add more amusing characters. Slayers Next throws us a couple more fun characters and an interesting and fun storyline.

Wow!

Author: Auryn-4 from Sweden
22 March 2001

This is... beyond words! I was pretty impressed with the 1st series, but this one outdoes it in every aspect. We've got more chemistry between the characters, more powerful badguys, better animation and even funnier jokes. And best of all: the mysterious priest, Xellos! I absolutely adore that guy! "Sore wa himitsu desu. ^_^" He's so evil and sadistic, while at the same time handsome and charming with a classy style. Every time he opens his eyes it makes me shiver... they have really managed to caputure his age, wisdom and wickedness in that glance.

And the finale of the series! WOW! It really had me on the edge of my seat, heart pounding the whole time.

See this... you won't regret it!

Just one piece of advice though: see the subbed version! The english dub absolutely SUCKS SUCKS SUCKS and doesn't at all manage to capture the charm the japanese voice actors created.

/Anna

Keeps getting better!

Author: S. J. Lewis (i0_9@hotmail.com) from SE PA
10 April 2001

"Slayers" was the funniest anime series I'd ever watched...then I saw "Slayers Next". The series just kept getting better, especially with the introduction of Xellos, a character whose motives, means and intentions are always in doubt until the last minute. He makes an excellent addition to the funny, familiar team of Lina, Gourry, Amelia and Zelgadis.

Hilarious Sequel to the original!

Author: Valgarv from California, USA
12 June 1999

Anime fans who have enjoyed the first series of Slayers will not be disappointed with it's hilarious sequel! It is the best in which I give it a 10. For those who have not seen the first series, the story stands on it's own so don't worry. I highly recommend people who are new to Anime to go and pick this title up as a must see!

Dragons, spells, and comedy!

Author: Milla from Lawrence
4 March 2004

Slayers Next is a follow-up to the popular Slayers series. It follows the loud and brass sorceress Lina Inverse and her not-so-smart but muscular sidekick Gourry on another adventure. Lina and Gourry meet back up with familiar characters, Amelia and Zelgadis, and the newly introduced Martina. Our heroes also encounter the new villains Gavv and Hellmaster, giving them new challenges to overcome - and giving Lina a chance to learn spells not yet seen in the first series. The voices are great as usual. Most of the original cast from the English version of Slayers has returned. Or if you prefer the subtitled version, you'll most likely be familiar with popular Japanese voice actress Megumi Hayashibara lending her talents to Lina Inverse once more. I highly enjoyed this series, even more so than the original or the follow-up to this one, Slayers Try. Slayers Next is a hilarious adventure with a great deal of heart.

Could this get any funnier?

Author: JayKeith from VA
13 August 1999

If you want to laugh out loud then quickly picked this and the original Slayers series up. There isn't a moment where it gets boring. In fact it gets funnier as the show progresses. The movies Slayers Perfect, Return, and Great are also as hilarious as the TV shows. See this now.

Dead-set hilarious stuff!

Author: Anthony Einsel from Hastings, NE
20 June 2000

This is my first introduction to the Slayers series, and believe me, it has been great. The series is outstanding in quality and fun. Action easily blends in with slapstick anime style comedy with many interesting things in between. In some terms, this series uses action as comedy. There's nothing more hilarious as blowing up stuff for the heck of it and laughing at it in between. I love the English dub and the Japanese dub the same way and I suggest you buy this series even if you haven't seen the original.