IMDb > Puddle Cruiser (1996) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]

Broken Lizard Classic

Author: dancerwh86 from Savannah, Georgia
6 October 2004

This flick highlights the comedic skills of the broken lizard troop and is a must see for any fan. It is my personal favorite of the three films the troupe has made and it is every bit as funny as Super Troopers if not more so. Steve Lemme is excellent as the romantic lead a different role than he has played in the other films. Erik Stolhanske is also incredibly funny as the trippy Freaky Reaky. The story is simple, but the writing fully makes up for it. It is incredibly dialogue driven and original. An excellent debut film and it must be noted that without they probably wouldn't have been able to make Super Trooper so all of their fans owe a big debt of gratitude to this little scene indy.

Not necessarily the funniest BL movie, but my favorite.

Author: Aldo-9 (tdecaro@hotmail.com) from Texas
29 February 2004

Before I get into the review, it's necessary for me to explain the summary. Super Troopers is a very funny movie, though I find Club Dread funnier, but I think Puddle Cruiser has the best story and is the best made film of the three. Now on with the review:

I love romantic comedies, and the fact that this movie is a romantic comedy (though not in the conventional sense, is great. Each member of Broken Lizard is great in this film, though I particularly love Eric Stolhanske as Freaky Reaky, he's just a fun character and easily on the level with Farva from Super Troopers, another character who is just out there and weird. Heffernan and Soter are great as Grogan and Matt, the two characters that set this story into motion. They are the comic relief of this movie and they pull it off nicely.

Jay Chandrasekhar plays the best friend character of the movie and it's always great to see Jay, since I know he must really be talented cause he's able to direct while acting in the movies, which is a treat (I get a kick out of actor directors for some reason).

And finally, we get to the main character. Felix, played by Steve Lemme. This character is so far removed from Mac in Super Troopers, and even Jaun in Club Dread that you'd almost mistake them for different actors. Hell everyone in Broken Lizard is able to play completely different characters that if you didnt know all three movies were made by the same people, you might think it was five different actors in each movie (except for Paul Soter, as much as I like him he doesnt seem to change much from movie to movie).

Not as bad as everyone makes it out to be

Author: bigworm0072000 from United States
9 January 2006

Most everyone on IMDb has been bashing this movie, saying that "it's nothing like Super Troopers or Club Dread" when, in all reality, it has the SAME exact humor as either of those movies. Kevin Hefferman is comic gold along with the rest of the Broken Lizard Comedy Group and this was not a disappointing buy for me simply because I love their material and this was nothing different from their normal humor. So stop listening to all the critics, go out and rent it, and form an opinion for yourself. Then, after viewing it first-hand, you can form your own opinion based upon what you actually saw, instead of what everyone on IMDb says about the movie. Now that's all I have to say, and I just need this stuff to fill my 10 lines necessary to post on the page.

Really good first film for Broken Lizard

Author: C G from United States
26 July 2006

Since one would most likely be watching this movie after seeing Super Troopers and/or Club Dread, one would be tempted naturally to compare this movie to the others. One should keep in mind this was their first film, and the budget was very low. That said... it is a good movie, well worth watching. It has several laughs out loud moments which in itself is worth the rental fee. It is very slow paced, and the film is almost completely dialog driven. However, there is great humor to be found in this dialog, the same humor which is found in S.T. or C.D..

Having been out of college for over 10 years now, I imagine this would be even funnier watching this as a college student, as the plot centers around college life in a small pond. However, it has a nostalgic nature seeing this, as it did bring back some of my college memories.

The acting of the lead character by Steve Lemme is extremely flat and tedious, helping to keep the pace fairly slow. (Lemme however in S.T. makes up for this ten fold.) Fortunately, the supporting characters played by the rest of the Lizard troop are exaggerated and outlandish. The repartee between Kevin and Paul's characters is particularly hilarious.

Jay and Kevin are excellent editors, and Jay also chose great music for the soundtrack. Jay also avoids the usual mistake of a young film-maker with a dialog driven script by having good and interesting cinematography. The mail room scenes with Freaky are funny and show off Jay's creativity behind the camera.

Again this is a good movie. It of course doesn't stand up well against Super Troopers, (which in my opinion is one of the funniest movies I've ever seen.) And it will not be as visually as interesting as Club Dread which must have had a budget 100 times bigger than Puddle Cruiser. But it is a good and funny movie which can stand up on its own. I highly recommend it to any Lizard fans, and any fans of good comedy.

Shows the strengths - and weaknesses - of Broken Lizard

Author: adamwhite from United States
19 January 2006

Like a lot of people on IMDb, I saw Super Troopers first and laughed my *ss off, thinking these guys were the second coming of Monty Python or something. Then I saw Club Dread, which had a significantly higher budget and more studio support, and I was certainly let down. So when I saw Puddle Cruiser on the shelf, I thought this might be the holy grail of Broken Lizard movies: an early effort in which these guys' talents could really shine, without being overpowered by the production.

But alas this sluggish, only sporadically amusing film brings to light one glaring fact about the BL team: these guys may be charismatic and talented, but writing is NOT their strong suit. This script is simply not funny, and no amount of natural comedic talent can cover that up. That makes it all the clearer why Super Troopers worked so well, while Club Dread didn't. Just compare the scripts, and you'll see that one is full of great jokes and situations ripe with comedic possibility, while the other is more of a premise than anything else.

So while Puddle Cruiser is a charming look at the roots of these guys' collegiate comedy bond, it is far from a solid film. Watch it for the nostalgia value, and hope these guys put as much effort into their future scripts as they did on Super Troopers.

Don't miss this one, it's a riot. You'll laugh off a kidney!

Author: monkeysvsrobotsdotcom from NorCal, CA
27 January 1999

A hilarious movie made by a comedy group called the "Broken Lizard". They were recently-graduated Colgate students who raised a pile of money to make their movie. Armed with a great script, a bunch of unknown actors and a great soundtrack they made their movie on the campus about a group of friends, a girl, and a guy named Traci Shannon aka "Thunder". The acting is great, the lighting and sounds are amazingly well done. It is amazing what you can do with $160,000 and a good imagination. They are currently touring the country in a Winnebago, going to college campuses to show their movie. Look for it! You won't be disappointed.

Overall a must watch

Author: Ben from Washington DC
29 December 2005

This movie is not intended to be any sort of blockbuster or indie prodigy.

It was produced for roughly $250,000 and shows it. However, what it DOES do is show hidden raw talent these guys have. This movie won a award for a reason and while it didn't get picked up (I don't think it should have), it did prove that if given more money the Broken Lizard guys could produce something amazing (aka super troopers).

The movie itself is worth renting (I bought it for the audio commentary which is very interesting to me). Some of the jokes are dry and not funny but the few that are will have you out of the seat. The on going joke about the phone number is really clever and some of the one liners are just great and in Broken Lizard style (I love the answering machine).

If you take a chance to listen to the audio commentary you get a chance to see some of the real gems of the movie (such as did you know Steve Lemme was caught red handed breaking into the same cafeteria as a sophomore or that Jay Chandrasekhar really did get people to go see the northern lights to get a girl only to have them not appear - he did get the girl though).

This movie is rough and is not perfect but it is worth seeing.

Hilarious college comedy rivaling PCU in mischievous antics!

Author: Matt Andrus from Houston, TX
5 February 2002

This movie is absolutely hilarious. I saw this for the first time when Broken Lizard was on their nationwide tour and I had to tape it when it came on the Sundance Channel so I could watch it again and again. You can tell that all the actors (most of whom are also the writers) have a natural comedic talent and despite the slow movement of the early scenes, everyone really shines by the end. The scenes involving 'Grogan' (Kevin Heffernan) and 'Matt' (Paul Soter) are priceless as they do everything they can to make each other's lives miserable, despite the fact that they are inseparable. And 'Zach' (Jay Chandrasekhar- director) has perhaps the best timing of them all with his deadpan delivery of lines. With "Super Troopers" releasing nationwide this year, I expect to see a lot more of these guys and can't wait for their next film.

Don't expect much

Author: jasonklingensmith from United States
27 December 2005

Super Troopers was an instant classic. Club Dread, while disappointing to many, had its moments. Puddle Cruisers has fewer moments. I saw this movie on the shelf of my local video store and saw at the bottom that it was made by the Broken Lizard group who made Super Troopers, so naturally I picked it up. I only found one scene to be laugh out loud funny. A far cry from Super Troopers. All in all, I was very disappointed. I would not recommend this to anyone, unless you have an abundance of free time, and really need to kill some time. However, you're better off playing video games, or watching something that might make you laugh or think.

Comedy About College Done Right . . . Pretty Much

Author: D_Burke from United States
14 January 2009

"Puddle Cruiser" is a very funny movie, and it surprised me how good it was when I saw it. I saw the movie recently after seeing Broken Lizards other three more recent and more popular movies. There was the hilarious "Super Troopers" (2001), the not-quite-as-funny follow-up "Club Dread"(2004), and the redeemingly funny "Beerfest" (2006).

One of my friends had a DVD copy of "Puddle Cruiser" which had the cover art stating "From the guys who brought you 'Super Troopers'". I read the description on the back and thought that because this movie takes place on a college campus, it could be either really good, or really bad.

One problem with movie comedies that take place in college is that it seems as though the movie makers want to make another "Animal House". Hence, they inundate the movie with binge drinking, dumb frat guys with no apparent study habits or visible means of income, bikini-clad girls with similar ambitions, and the tired misconception that college is one big 24-hour orgy. Mind you "Animal House" was a great movie, and one of the Top 10 best comedies of the last 50 years. However, when other filmmakers try to top the "Animal House" antics with outrageous stunts, they forget one main ingredient: actual genuine humor.

Fortunately, to Broken Lizard's credit, they made here a smart college movie with absolutely no ambition to be the next "Animal House". They made a college comedy on their own terms, and the results are surprisingly good.

The characters in the film are well developed and often times appealing, even when they're dislikeable (the character of Traci Shannon comes particularly to mind here). They're also memorable with a slew of unforgettable lines. My personal favorite characters include Freaky Reaky (Erik Stolhanske), the mailroom worker who talks like a late night DJ, and Emily (Alison Clapp), the hottie's best friend who really sells each scene she's in. It's surprising that this movie is Clapp's only movie credit to date. All the performances are relatively consistent, and that's rare for a movie made by first timers.

The scene at the end is probably the best, when the big rugby match is about to be played. Not only does it start out very funny with a scene that deliberately spoofs "Spartacus" (1960), but the game commences in a very unpredictable way. It still has me laughing weeks after seeing it.

What differentiates this film from "Super Troopers" is the fact that the humor is very deadpan. There isn't as many visual gags, nor is there as much swearing, as in Broken Lizard's breakthrough cult hit. It also seems as though each member of Broken Lizard takes turns in each movie playing the straight man and the funny man. The character Steve Lemme plays in "Puddle Cruiser" is mild mannered, likable, and slightly naive, far different from the slightly dumb risk taker he later played in "Super Troopers". I could go on forever with comparisons between the two movies, but the films should really be watched side by side because they are funny differently, but equally.

Regardless of whether you've seen "Super Troopers" already, this film is worth checking out. I'm not sure its cult status, but it deserves to be recognized for the incredibly funny movie it is. I highly recommend it.

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]