IMDb > The General's Daughter (1999) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The General's Daughter

The General's Daughter More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 28:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Great movie unfairly savaged by critics.

Author: john from nashville
30 March 2005

THE GENERAL'S DAUGHTER is movie that has been done before. But it knows this and is able to look past it's cliché's and have fun with the genre. A cop(Travolta) is called to an army base to investigate the death of a general's daughter after she has been raped and beat to death and left naked and tied to the ground with tent stakes. It's a ghastly sight and everyone wants him to get to the bottom of it as soon as possible. The problem is that EVERYONE has something to hide or is hiding someone who has something to hide. This has an all-star cast and they are terrific. The story is well written and the cast has some fun with it along the way. Director Simon West knows how to tell the story with a slight tongue and cheek flavor and still maintain the very serious nature of the subject matter. The action sequences are very well choreographed and the climax is pretty intense. So if you are looking for a familiar but really good, intense, and exciting action murder mystery THE GENERAL'S DAUGHTER is well worth seeing. No matter if the critics thumbed their elitist nose's at it. They're loss is our average Joe's gain. ***1/2 out of 4.

Lots Of Pluses and Minuses, But Entertaining

Author: ccthemovieman-1 from United States
3 March 2006

This was an excellent drama marred only by a little too much profanity and the normal Hollywood obsession of portraying the United States military as corrupt. (I have a news flash for filmmakers: there are some honest men in the military....really!!!) Feminism in the armed forces is another "agenda" item in this film.

There are many pluses, however, with this movie that should be noted. . The acting is excellent with a deep cast featuring John Travolta, James Cromwell, Madeline Stowe, Timothy Hutton, James Woods, Clarence Williams III, Leslie Stefanson and more.

I loved the dialog between Travola and Woods. It reminded me of the film noir films of the 1940s. The general's daughter, Stephanson, is a bit hard-edged in here but it's understandable when you find out why she acts the way she does. The characters the actors are all interesting and the story hooks you in right away. The cinematography is great. This looks stunning on DVD.

There are no lulls in this film and the action isn't overdone, either. Very entertaining.

Disturbing Thriller

Author: mjw2305 from England
7 January 2007

A beautiful army officer is murdered in compromising circumstances that the fort MacCallum officials would rather keep quite. John Travolta and Madeleine Stowe are the investigators into the murder, and it's seems that someone wants to keep the truth hidden.

Travolta and Stowe both capture the necessary elements of their characters and they are well supported by James Cromwell, Timothy Hutton, Clarence Williams II and James Woods.

This suspenseful mystery thriller delivers the disturbing truths of the story very well, it does have its flaws, but they are largely forgivable due to the captivating delivery and direction.

very good

Author: OzzyCash from Nashville, Tennessee
28 August 2000

These people below me are out of their minds, I don't think they watched the whole movie... I thought it was excellent, very good story, great acting, one of the best endings in movie history. John Travolta does a good job as usual, this is definitely worth seeing by everybody!

Seen it many times and still enjoying

Author: steve-ruzicka from United States
17 April 2010

I have developed a large DVD library over the years, some 1,000 today! There are only a few which I will see more than once or twice. And The General's Daughter is one I keep seeing with pleasure. You will have read many reviews, scattering ratings from 1 to 10, as usual, but with a poor average rate. I personally like the movie for its excellent tempo and accompanying music. Travolta, Cromwell and Stowe fit their respective role perfectly. The global integration of filming, dialogs, acting and plot come out exactly right. So of course I try to understand why the rating is so poor. I have read criticism regarding the poor adaptation from the book, the way the army is depicted so unjustly, the average performance of Travolta and his annoying southern accent and more. Well, we have the right to our choices and own judgment. On a closing note, I wish people would stop repeating the plot in their reviews: it's boring, redundant and does not provide a bit of film analysis.

Very mysterious

Author: MisterWhiplash from United States
15 July 2000

The General's Daughter may be flawed, but thanks to the acting, it's hardly a matter. John Travolta gives a good performance and James Woods gives an even better one, showing that one scene with back and forth dialougue can make one film pretty interesting. Still, a good mystery, with the plot set in good place for one of Travolta's best pics. A-

Very interesting, keeps you guessing.

Author: Lawrence Sanderson (kd0yz@n-connect.net) from Manchester, Iowa
28 January 2000

I was intrigued and kept guessing who and what all the way through. It kept me interested and on edge. Entertainment at its best. John Travolta keeps growing as an actor and Madeline Stowe is always excellent. A good story, well told that will keep you interested all the way through.

Rape scene

Author: katie-rayson from United Kingdom
6 June 2007

The film was altogether very interesting but at the same time tragic, especially the gang-rape scene which left me incredibly disturbed. The storyline is amazing and is enough to draw someone into the film even if halfway through and the direction of the film is very well done. The characters were very convincing and the acting of both the daughter and John Trovolta's character was unbelievable. The point at which the daughter was told not to talk of her rape - you could actually see every emotion through her eyes, enough to make anyone break down. Although the whole plot of the film was based around a young, murdered woman, it did cast a very negative view on how woman are treated in the US forces which could be seen as unfair. Although this is true, it did show a very valid point of how, in any job, men still value themselves as having a 'right' to be in the job over women.

..The General's Daughter is anything but "general"..

Author: fimimix from United States
21 February 2007

I liked this movie so much, I watched it twice, once tonight just to make sure I had the story right. There are SO MANY colonels, captains and generals in "The General's Daughter," it's ludicrous to even name the actors who played them. I am from a military town (2nd World War); there were tens-of-thousands of troops from all over the world on the base, but only one colonel ran it.....a gay one, at that. This kinda ties-in the feature of this film about gays in the military - it's been around forever......

One-time-pretty-boy from "Saturday Night Fever" star, John Travolta (CID officer Paul Brenner) really did an excellent acting-job in this movie. I was surprised to see that he had put-on a lot more weight, hard to accept about the really hot-looking guy who played in the movie named here. I've seen other films (look at "Blowout" for another great movie he starred in) and was aware that he was going to be heavy. I just can't see him that way.

Brenner and CID Sunhill(Madeleine Stowe) are investigating the nude death of Capt. Liz Campbell (Leslie Stefanson), who just happens to be the CO's daughter. Because it took place on a military training-base, everyone is covering-up for everyone, and most of them are guilty in some way for the murder. Seems the captain was at the top of her class at West Point, and not very well-liked there - she was brutally raped by her classmates in a war-game, stapled to the ground by tent-spikes and abandoned. Her murder was a re-enactment of the rape, but with a twist which shouldn't be revealed by a review. Col. Robert Moore (James Woods in an excellent role) is the prime suspect. A military base seems to be just like a small town - everyone knows everything about everyone.....Capt. Campbell was a promiscuous lady, but I won't reveal another twist, which is the main theme of the movie. Some commenters seem to think folk in the military lead pristine lives - they apparently have not heard of, or have forgotten, the many sexual attacks perpetrated against female airmen at The Air Force Academy in Colorado.

Tim Hutton (Col. William Kent) plays a good role in "The General's Daughter", also. We won't get into that, because he also plays a major role in the movie. Usually, I don't like too much violence in films, but this is a good story with good acting by major stars, such as James Cromwell (Lt. Gen. Campbell). To tell too much about the plot will spoil the story, if you haven't seen it yet - but should.

I feel certain an alert viewer will get the point about "abandonment". Although I realize it's necessary for the military to train under "live-fire", I personally do not accept it is moral to do so with a "live" mine-field. I reveal this feature of the movie, without disclosing how it is used.

Director Simon West and scriptor Bertolini get it all together for this film. The plot is faced-paced - maybe a little over-the-top for actual, military life - and will keep you guessing and entertained throughout the whole thing. I recommend it for all adult viewers. I have no idea how it is reviewed here so negatively by so many commenters - I say bravo !

Screen Play Took Away From the Book

Author: Sambarb337 (Sambarb337@cs.com) from Orange County California
17 October 2002

Before renting the movie, I listened to Nelson Demille's audiobook. The book got me hooked. I got up at 4:00 a.m. and treked out to the car to pick up the last few tapes.

Overall, as a father, the effect of this book was to make me realize there are certain things that a father can't say, actions a father can't take if that father wants to avoid destroying the trust between himself and his daughter. It's not just a question of career over family.

It's a question of being in touch with emotions, and understanding feelings.

The compromise General Campbell made in West Point, to not stand up for his daughter, to not rock the boat, to ask his daughter to forget, was more understandable in the book. All the West Point Brass was pressuring him to not destroy the school. Convince his daughter not to make a stink.

I find few movies as good as books. Books allow me to use my imagination. The whole rape area, as I envisioned it, was much more rural, much more out of the way.

Paul's confrontation with the General in the end, his getting the general court martialed seemed just too politically correct. After all, if you go for the general, go for the West Point staff that was pressuring the general to shut the incident up. Go for them all.

John Travolta and Madeline Stowe did a fine job. However, the sexual tension and underlying passion between them was pretty much avoided between the book and the movie. That made a big loss.

Nelson Demille is a great writer. I look forward to reading more of his works.

It's hard to turn a great book into a good movie.

Page 1 of 28:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]