IMDb > The Boondock Saints (1999) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 88:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

A true original

Author: Ledare from Los angeles, CA
1 September 2002

This film had the sad history of being blackballed in the United States due to the incident at Columbine...which is a real shame, because it is a treasure...written and directed by Troy Duffy, Boondocks is set in Boston...it is the story of fraternal twin Irish boys (Connor and Murphy McManus) who work in a meat packing plant...when their friend, Doc, is being stiff armed by the Russian Mafia, the boys and their friends step in to help...and away we go! Two of the most interesting characters in the film are played by veteran actor William Dafoe, and a newcomer to the silver screen, David Della Rocco. Dafoe's character is Paul Smecker, a gay FBI agent specializing in organized crime...Rocco plays an Italian Mafia package boy who is a close friend to the Irish brothers...the central theme of the film is the indifference of good men...Connor and Murphy are not indifferent, and after helping their friend, Doc, the two embark on a crusade to rid the streets of Boston of criminals...with the assistance of their comical and zany friend, Rocco...This film had positive elements on all sides...humor...a moral message...and incredible actors...you will no doubt find yourself repeating the many memorable quotes from the film...I am a woman, and not at all into your typical "shoot 'em up" guy films...this is not another one of those films...it has become an underground "cult" sensation...See it...you will not be disappointed!

The Saints Come Marching In!

Author: Ben Burgraff (cariart) from Las Vegas, Nevada
21 August 2003

The Boondock Saints is one of the most pleasant surprises I've had in my years of watching indies, and it proves conclusively that you don't need a massive budget to do a terrific action film!

Two blue-collar Boston Irish brothers (Sean Patrick Flanery and Norman Reedus, who are both terrific!) rid their favorite pub of an influx of Russian gangsters, and soon decide they are on a Mission from God to execute all the 'heavy hitter' criminals from the city. While this makes them local heroes, it also sets sympathetic detective Willem Dafoe on their trail.

The story is reminiscent of the 'Death Wish' series, without the glossy superficiality of the Bronson films. At times funny, at times disturbing, it never loses momentum, with a twist ending is both satisfying and thoroughly insane!

While the violence is graphic, the story is character-driven, and never allows the executions to overwhelm the plot. You actually like the brothers, and may be hard-pressed NOT to root for them, even if you do feel a bit guilty about it!

The Boondock Saints is a fabulous film, one that deserves your attention!

Great unusual action film

Author: Grann-Bach (Grann-Bach@jubii.dk) from Denmark
8 February 2004

Very intelligent action movie, about two Irish brothers who kill 'sinners' to punish them. The movie is a bit different from the typical action movie, as it doesn't have car-chases or explosions. The action consists of stylish shooting sprees. It also has a fairly original idea that is utilized in nearly every action scene in the movie, and that should be used more often in action films; first you see the aftermath, the crime-scene, the police investigating, counting bodies, etc. After/as the police come up with theories to the crime, we see the actual scene, of the brothers punishing criminals. It's a different kind of vigilante movie. It's particularly gory and bloody, but this just makes it all the more realistic. In real life, there is a significant amount of blood when someone is shot in the head. The movie has some Christian subtexts, I think I've heard about five major theories about the whole movie's meaning. This shows, in my opinion, that there was obviously a lot of thought put into the movie. I'd recommend it to anyone who can stand the gore, even if they aren't Christians. 10/10

Take it or Leave it.

Author: ScarlettWeasel (kgreene2@ithaca.edu) from Ithaca, New York
31 March 2004

You've either seen it or you haven't; you either love it with a fiery passion, or curse it for ever being thought up. Boondock Saints is one of those films that people just can't seem to be apathetic about.

I happen to be one of the those who love it with a firey passion. I thought that Willem Dafoe's character was fantastic and created a gay man unlike the stereotypes of "Queer Eye." I also thought Duffy's was well suited to the tone of the movie, and created several fascinating shots that I love as a film student. The credit sequence strikes me as brilliance; the film raises a lots of questions of where the line between good and evil lays and about perceptions of God. The writing made me laugh, the music made me shiver (the opening sequence is The Blood of Cu Chulainn--fantastic if you like that genre), and the characters made me care. On a purely shallow feminine note: just as straight boys have twin fantasies, so do I with a pair of fraternal Irish twins...thank you Troy, thank you.

Of course then there's the opposite side of the coin. Allowing yourself to be immersed in the story takes some huge suspension of belief. Common examples: Conner jumping off a building and not breaking bones--possible, but unlikely, and the boys falling through the air duct after magically taking a coiled rope, untying it and getting tangled in it enough that when caught would hold their weight allowing them to shoot every major boss in the Russian Mob--yeah, I don't buy it either, but it's extremely cinematic! Some people would point to that and say "divine intervention! God loves them!" Yeah well, God loves us all, but you don't see people flying off buildings because of it--well you might, but you get my drift. So my point is that, while I love this movie, I could very easily see where someone else wouldn't.

If you haven't seen it; you should. Give it a chance. Don't listen to anybody else before you do. Hell, if you haven't seen it why are you reading this? Go rent it, burrow if from your friends, whatever; watch it and form your own opinions and then join in some huge fight on the message boards. Good fun can be had by all, whether you loved or hated it.

Purely just a Fun Movie

Author: Party_Hard from West Chester, PA
17 June 2004

I know there's a lot of people who either worship this movie or hate it. Truth be told this movie is just a fun action movie with a good plot, great characters, and very good direction. Compare it to whatever you want, but you can do that with any movie out there. If you haven't had the chance to catch this flick, go out and rent it! it's one of those movies that shouldn't be missed. I guarantee that once you see it you'll be quoting it left and right. Sean Patrick Flannery and Norman Reedus have amazing chemistry together, and David Del Rocko just adds the comedic relief that makes the trio one thats hard to take your eyes off of.

See the Boondock Saints and get ready to have a good ole celtic time.

(B)

Great (but not always new) ideas - great realization. Entertainment in the tradition of "Pulp Fiction".

Author: Christoph Heumann from Bonn, Germany
15 August 1999

Preliminary remark: the comments refer to a pre-release version that was shown at the "Fantasy Film Festival" in Cologne, Germany, in August 1999.

"Boondock Saints" is a clever, funny, sufficiently violent movie with an overall high entertainment value. The story revolves around two Irish-American brothers and an excentric gay FBI agent (awesome: William Dafoe). The brothers - devout Catholics - who speak several languages fluently and work in a slaughterhouse find themselves equipped with money and weapons and subsequently start their very own crusade against the evil men of Boston - professional killers, mafia bosses and drug dealers. The agent is at their heels from the outset, but he has to realize that justice is on the side of the brothers...

This basic plot is the foundation for a highly energetic narrative: we get excellent and at times highly comic dialogues (with a high F***-word ratio), running gags, and lots of crazy situations and plot developments that are as absurd as they are funny. The action/shooting scenes are well-choreographed with a fine eye for the detail, but it's the main characters, their dialogues and developments around which the movie is develops rather than the action sequences.

On top of this, we get a fractured time/place structure that's already familiar from movies such as Kubrick's "The Killing" or Tarantino's "Reservoir Dogs", but "Boondock Saints" takes it to new extremes - and thus it's fun to watch.

Of course, the characters are a bit shallow every now and then and one would love to learn more about their background, but that's only a slight criticism. Overall, and measured by its own intention, "Boondock Saints" is great entertainment. More, it doesn't need to be.

Somewhere between Tarantino and Ritchie lies Duffy

Author: Tom Burns (ox95) from Chicago, IL
5 August 2003

A fourth year film student with a chip on his/her shoulder will probably tell you that this film is simple, uninspired, derivative, gratuitous..... ignore him/her just like you always do and see this genuinely funny movie. It has an inspired performance by Willem Dafoe and enough new ideas to keep you glued. The social commentary should probably be looked at as more of a plot device than intelligent thought, but I found myself watching this movie repeatedly and enjoying it more the second and third time around. This is definitely a naughty pleasure for the movie enthusiast.

The Boondock Saints

Author: BankBastard from Massachusetts, USA
12 July 2003

*A lot of Spoilers*

Almost all of my friends told me to watch this movie. "It's so sick", "Great Movie", "It's so badass", and "It is in a category of it's own"... well, I can honestly say that "The Boondock Saints" was one of the worst movies I have ever seen, and had it not been for Willem Dafoe, it would have easily been the worst movie of all time. (A title currently held by both The Exorcist II and The Amityville Horror). This movie is crap, there is no way around it. The cult status it has climbed to is baffling. The fact that many people enjoy this movie is beyond the realm of human comprehension. I cannot understand. It has a lousy story line, and it doesn't gel or make sense. The action is GARBAGE. I don't care what anyone says, it blows. Its cheesy, dull and anticlimactic... Half of the "action" is bad quick-cut scenes zooming in on aftermath, or shots of people shooting up a storm. For some reason people can't seem to shoot each other from ten feet away, and while dangling upside-down in a room full of gangsters, these jerks kept their bearings and shot up the joint, killing almost 10 mobsters (How can they shoot so well? why can't mobsters shoot? what was holding up the rope?). Why were they so smart? why did they pack meat for a living if they could speak multiple languages? How come he didn't die after jumping off a building at least 5 stories high into an alley? What the hell was the writer thinking? The acting, with the exception of Willem Dafoe (why did he have to crossdress? honestly...), was ghastly. The Irish accents were brutal, and the overdone villains were just as horrendous. The whole "we're catholic, but we execute Mobsters" thing was also swill. The prayer being spoken in unison was so lame!! Who writes this crap? The whole symmetric action shots of them lighting cigarettes, praying, shooting, etc. were so corny I was ashamed of myself for watching, and I was hoping nobody would come into the room and watch... I would have been reprimanded for watching such trash. The accents from the "Saints" were like a poor man's Mickey, from "Snatch"...a good movie. This movie is so flawed, so cheesy, and so boring I was shocked after I watched it. Also, another atrocity is that its being compared to Reservoir Dogs and Pulp Fiction. How dare someone make that comparison? Those movies are masterpieces, with good actors, excellent dialogue, perfect direction, fitting music (this movie had the worst music I think I've ever heard in a film) and reasonable story lines. This movie was the polar opposite of that. Irish people should be appalled by this... anyone from Boston should be appalled by this... every person on the face of the earth should be appalled by this. What gets me the most is the alienation that people who don't like this movie feel. They become outcasts in the conversation... I Just don't get it... we need more movies like Commando, Terminator, Aliens, Rambo, Cliffhanger, or Predator... hell, even Marked for Death or Cobra (that's right, 1986 Sly Stallone) is better than this. Its a sad day when people think that Matrix movies and this refuse are excellent action films. Shed a tear for a near dead genre. I wouldn't recommend this to anyone, unless you want to watch it in order to make a subsequent film look really good. ½ star/ 5. This movie is on par with Jaws 4 and Barb Wire... despicable... May god have mercy on Troy Duffy's soul.

a whole new kind of comedy/action/crime drama

Author: tsavage from Birmingham, AL
20 September 2004

My son called me from Korea (Army Medic) to tell me that I had to see this movie. He brought it home with him on leave and we watched it together and he was absolutely right. It was "off the chain" as he says. It was so different from the standard fare that only substitutes different faces into the same tired story lines. We love it and I am now buying my own copy. I recommend it to any one that I know is a discriminating movie lover. I can't wait for the sequel. By the way , I'm a 43 year old mom of three so it's not just for 20 something males. Willem Dafoe was over the top but absolutely perfect for this movie. My husband hates movies and any TV that doesn't have a ball and a score, but he actually loved this movie too. It kept him on the edge of his seat and he actually laughed out loud several times.

Non-linear storytelling executed well

Author: stumblefoot
28 July 2003

I've always enjoyed non-linear storytelling. A number of people seem to have picked up on this aspect of the movie and thus dubbed it similar to Pulp Fiction (though no one mentions Reservoir Dogs) when this movie takes non-linear storytelling to a level beyond where Quentin Tarrantino was ever able to go.

Now, certainly Memento came along afterwards and transformed the entire art of non-linear storytelling. However, Memento uses it to keep the movie watcher guessing until the very end, whereas Boondock Saints puts the pieces on the table, letting you try to put them together, but then will continue handing you pieces until the picture becomes clearer.

Clearly the movie is designed to be over-the-top, both from Williem Dafoe's character to the action sequences themselves. Williem Dafoe makes this movie for me. The plot, which centers on religiously-inspired vigilante justice, has an air of being somewhat cliched, although I would be hard pressed to name another movie which handles it in this matter.

I still fail to see how others consider this movie vacuous and without meaning, when its message about the pitfalls of our current legal system and the need for something that transcends it is quite clear. I thought the ending, in which various people are interviewed about their opinion of the "Saints" and how for some vigilante justice was an incredibly sensitive issue, made this point very clear.

Page 1 of 88:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]