Pocahontas II: Journey to a New World
Page 1 of 7:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [Next]

Erase this movie from your mind

Author: cey_2525 from United States
22 August 2007

My sister and I deny the existence of this movie.

Please do not watch it, it'll only ruin your memory of the original Pocahontas. The animation is sub-par and the musical numbers are dreadful. I sat there asking myself why characters in the movie suddenly burst into song, which is not something that you are supposed to do while watching a musical. It's supposed to be a seamless transition which in this movie, it definitely is not. The dialogue is silly and the movie contains absolutely none of the magic and romance found in the first movie. I wish I could unwatch this movie, so if you have not yet seen it, count your blessings and forget it exists.

A 0 out of 10.

Typical animated sequel

Author: Nur Hazwani Harun from Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
5 March 1999

As most animated sequels, one cannot expect much from the plotline, the music, or the animation. But, even with this in mind, I found Pocahontas 2, although having its moments, was quite disappointing, and a major contradiction to the original feature film. Most of the characters were two dimensional, and the depth and feeling of the first film was non-existent. The movie's short length also prevented the movie from going any further and explaining all the abrupt changes in character, especially the romance between Pocahontas and John Smith, as well as between Pocahontas and John Rolfe. For anyone who liked the original film, the sequel could be hazardous to your health.

The things I do for my kids...

Author: Rosabel from Ottawa, Canada
5 January 2002

Including having this piece of garbage in the house. I thought I'd seen the worst of Disney crap with the Beauty and the Beast sequel, but I was wrong. This is much worse. The dialogue is unbelievable - would anyone in the 17th century have talked about "respecting my culture" the way this thoroughly PC Pocahontas does? The cartooning is dreadful - James I is portrayed as a ninny, who makes the old Bugs Bunny parody of Charles Laughton as Nero look like a Holbein portrait. There's some silly "My Fair Lady" plot tossed in, complete with historically nowhere costuming. But the worst thing is the music. It's smeared on everything, like a layer of cheap paint, and it is all completely pointless. This movie gives rise to the question, fatal for any musical, "What is this music here FOR?" In a good musical, the music and songs are supposed to add layers of meaning that mere spoken dialogue can't do - sort of like reaching for another medium to convey more than you can do with words. But in this, the music is just stuck on there because - well, because this is a Disney film, and that's what Disney films DO. It goes on and on - half the time I think they put in songs because a song will take up 3 or 4 minutes, and will use up more time than a spoken line. The dialogue seemed to be tiny little bridges between one ghastly song after another. And everything was a cliche - the chorus was always shouting, the English were always singing some jiggity-jiggity-jig song and Pocahontas was forever warbling long, flowing ballads. The whole thing is a mess.

Don't watch it. Just don't.

Author: Becky (dreams_break_like_glass) from United Kingdom
8 February 2008

I wish I'd never watched the Pocahontas sequel. Seriously. I've watched most of the Disney sequels, and while, yes, most of them are awful (though there are some rare exceptions - Bambi II is adorable), but that movie is just...beyond awful.

You can't mess with history in the original movie and then change your mind and try to set it right in a direct-to-video sequel.

Yes, in reality she ended up with John Rolfe, but -bleep- reality. I don't want reality. When I sit down to watch a Disney movie I want to get lost in a world where every princess gets her (ORIGINAL) Disney hero. I REALLY don't like new dudes with ZERO personality coming in and nabbing the princess just because "that's how it REALLY happened".

Likewise, when I read the original "The Little Mermaid" by the great Hans Christan Anderson I adore the tragic ending, but when I'm watching Disney I wouldn't want to see Ariel go ahead and toy with the idea of making a Prince-Kebab out of Eric. Do you follow? Yes, John Smith was far older and Pocahontas was years shy of puberty. I know in reality their relationship was platonic, but dude, making Disney!Smith out to be a complete arse just so that they could justify her waltzing off with Rolfe was a crappy move.

Who have we to thank for this? The history buffs who -beeped- and moaned when the original was released. I wonder if the same history buffs -beeped- and moaned when Ariel didn't die at the end of "The Little Mermaid".

I digress.

What happened to "I'd rather die tomorrow than live a hundred years without knowing you"? What happened to "no matter what happens, I'll always be with you, forever"?

"We walked the same path once. Now I know where I belong."

Just stamp on my childhood a little more, Disney. :(

There are enough horrendously complex and painful things in the real world without kids movies (yes, I do know that's what they are) getting corrupted by "how things REALLY are". Little girls will soon realise that not everybody gets their prince charming. Do we really have to let them in on this early?

Thank goodness "The Little Mermaid III" is going to be the last direct-to-vid sequel.

Crushed the favorite romance of my childhood

Author: irahru from Russian Federation
2 May 2009

Pocahontas 1 was and still is my very favorite Disney cartoon and one of my favorite movies ever - a bit more adult than other Disney works, especially due to its most beautiful love story - Pocahontas and John Smith.

For those who know the real story of Pocahontas it is clear that the cartoon was simply inspired by the real story: it has never been proved she had any romantic involvement with John Smith, John Smith did have to leave the land due to an injury, then she thought he was dead, married John Rolfe, had a son with him and only THEN went to England, where she fell ill with smallpox and died, never seeing her home again. So Disney decided not to make speculations on the story but make it more or less how it really was.. omitting the marrying and having a child part..

So here is what I can tell you Disney: I do not CARE how it was in reality. I wanted to see how John Smith and Pocahontas get together again.

No.. They decided to follow reality. So their task was to make Pocahontas' choice for a new boyfriend justified. So they decided to show off Smith as a complete moron, a terribly selfish Narcissus, who does not approve of her ideas, does not understand and does not support her. The epic moment was the last part when he says "I got a ship" and then corrects I to we - and this is the moment when Pocahontas realizes that John Rolfe is better: he was the one who always believed in her. Just discard the "love you forever" part from the ORIGINAL movie. Well, thank you Disney for killing the best fictional couple for the sake of making it look historical.

I wish I never watched it. I will try to erase this heresy from my memory.

A Disgrace of a Sequel.

Author: rinoa-heartilly from United Kingdom
27 January 2007

I saw Pocahontas when I was little and to this day it is still my favourite Disney film. So when I saw Pocahontas II on the TV, I had to see it. Now I wish I hadn't.

The animation is so much poorer, the plot is okay but a bit pointless, and the songs and music is terrible. It's a disgrace for this to be called Pocahontas II in my opinion. They didn't even fully revive Pocahontas's personality for this film, as soon as you see her she acts much different than she did in the original but with the same basic values. The script undoes everything that Pocahontas did and completely changes the characters.

They should have left it at the end of Pocahontas instead of making such a terrible film. I prefer to think of the whole Pocahontas story ending at the end of the first film. If you loved the Pocahontas story and do not want to be disappointed by a poor follow-up that cannot possibly match the splendour of the original, then avoid this movie at all costs! They should attach a warning label saying "Watch at your own risk" in my opinion.

it's so awful that it infects the first one

Author: tomas_ducci from Chile
20 October 2006

Pocahontas (the original) is the best Disney movie I've ever seen. I saw this sequel with little expectations just to know how the story went on. But I regretted when I saw it. First, the cartoons are so bad-looking that you hardly recognize the characters. I expected the music to make you feel as in the first movie. But it's awful (they changed the composers) and it's just to make the movie longer. It doesn't even make you laugh and the plot is the worst aspect of the movie. Pocahontas forgets Smith in one second and starts a romance with John Rolfe. It's no chemistry between them, and you keep all the film angry with them. Then John Smith returns, but Pocahontas ¡prefers Rolfe! Don't mind if I told you the end because you won't wait to see it. It ruined the first one, even it's so great.

The worst Disney picture of the 90s.

Author: studebaker from UK
27 August 2001

This is by far the worst Disney film in a raft of pointless remakes and sequels which Disney chucked out in the late 90s. The animation would be a disgrace to a seventies TV cartoon. As for the art direction...

One example of this travisty will suffice. When P arrives in London, the artists manage to mix up Medieval, Tudor, Stuart and Regency period dress all in one seen. Oh, and London has Gas Lights...

The horror, the horror!

No good

Author: Bookluvah from United States
22 December 2006

I know a lot of people have been saying that children don't care about history. That's not always the case. I remember as a nine year old being disappointed in the original because of a few historical inaccuracies...mainly that Pocahontas was not a buxom 18 year old when the English arrived. But this movie was much worse. Whereas the original songs were lovely and stuck in your mind, these were entirely forgettable and made me cringe most times. As did the characterization of most of the people in the movie. Ghastly.

Children care about what they choose to care about, and I'm sure there are some out there right now shaking their heads at this wreck of a movie.

This is something that Disney WILL NEVER LIVE DOWN.

Author: fox-glove-647-791592 from United Kingdom
28 January 2010

Disregarding the ridiculous 'music', low-quality animation, horrible characterisation and overall messed up, uninteresting plot -not to mention the 'romance' that is supposedly there- there is one flaw in this movie that mostly everyone has a problem with.

A. Disney. COUPLE. BREAKS. UP.

I repeat: A bleeping _DISNEY COUPLE_ BREAKS bleeping UP.

That, that right there- that is SO wrong, on SO MANY LEVELS.

For one- how does Disney make money? All the kids (and occasionally teens, with a few adults, but mostly kids) drag their parents and plead and beg and argue and throw tantrums until they can see/buy Disney movies and later get merchandise of aforementioned movies. Don't deny it, you and I both know that's how it works.

So, why do kids love Disney? Well, there's the animation, the witty banter, the music- but, surprise surprise, A LOT OF THE KIDS CARE MORE ABOUT THE FAIRY TALES, ROMANCES AND HAPPILY EVER AFTERS.

Disney, to kids, stands for Happy Endings (yes, with capital letters).

Disney, for children and other age groups, is an escape from the unfair and harsh world, an escape to different lands with different stories- and sure, the bad guy may get close to taking over and a father-figure or two might die, but in the end, all the kids know that there will be a classic Disney HAPPY ENDING. Guy gets girl or the other way round, or main characters fulfill their dreams, all that jazz.

Pocahontas 2...goes against the very ESSENCE of Disney that all the kids love.

That kiss between Pocahontas and Rolfe? Kids around the globe gaped, cried and threw tantrums. And I'm pretty damn sure poor Walt turned in his grave!!

Disney isn't ABOUT historical facts. Disney isn't ABOUT being realistic (most Disney Couples fell in love within a week OR DAY for God's sake!).

Disney IS ABOUT HAPPILY EVER AFTERS. TRUE LOVE. SOUL MATES.

_N_O_T__B_L_E_E_P_I_N_G__B_R_E_A_K__U_P_S_!_!_!_!

If we wanted history, we'd watch documentaries! If we wanted drama, we'd watch Soap Operas!

IF WE WANTED BREAK UPS WE'D TAKE A LOOK AROUND THE DAMN NEIGHBOURHOOD.

People want HAPPY ENDINGS. THAT is why they bleeping WATCH Disney MOVIES.

Ugh. And they used to be able to say no Disney Couple breaks up.

In short: Do yourself a favour. Don't watch this movie. Don't read about it. Don't learn about it. Don't even think about it.

IT MAKES YOU SEE WHY SOME PEOPLE PREFER WARNER BROS!!!

Page 1 of 7:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [Next]