IMDb > My Old Town (1948) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

My Old Town More at IMDbPro »

A nostalgic look at a small American turn in the early 1900s...

Author: Neil Doyle from U.S.A.
22 December 2008

Nostalgic but not exactly stimulating is my brief description of this rather quiet little short subject narrated by John Nesbitt, a tribute to his old hometown.

Images of spring, firecrackers on the 4th of July, farmers ploughing the land, a boy fishing and swimming with pals, school days, high school graduation exercises, and young men pursuing more adult pleasures such as the poolroom, dances, summer concerts, etc.

The narration concludes with the statement that "No path leads to yesterday," and the glimpse of small town life is over as the scene shifts to the present day 1948.

Anyone who has grown up on MGM films can spot scenes from "Our Vines Have Tender Grapes" used as stock footage with "Butch" Jenkins as the boy doing the fishing and seen in a couple of other farm images.

Nice Short

Author: Michael_Elliott from Louisville, KY
29 December 2008

My Old Town (1948)

*** (out of 4)

Part of John Nesbitt's Passing Parade, this short has the narrator talking about his love for his hometown even though the exact city is never named. After reading the description to this film I was rather worried even though it only ran 10-minutes but it turns out that the movie is actually a lot more entertaining than it should have been. Nesbitt's narration is right on the mark as he talks about nostalgia and he really captures the mood of an adult looking back over his life. We get to see what he remembers as a young kid, like the July 4th parties and then what he remembers as an adult, like dating, his first cigarette and so on. The film does a very good job at what it tries to do and that is look back at something from our past that sticks with us as adults.