IMDb > The World Is Not Enough (1999) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The World Is Not Enough

The World Is Not Enough More at IMDbPro »

Page 21 of 69: [Prev][16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [22] [23] [24] [25] [26] [27] [28] [29] [30] [31] [Next]

The World Is Not Enough... but 19 Bonds are

Author: Cathz from Cumbria, England
13 May 2000

It's quite amazing that more Bond films are still being made after almost 40 years, and if you watch 'The World Is Not Enough' you can see that they have indeed overdone it all. Every joke and every action-piece - however spectacular - is nothing new. We've seen it all before, and done just as well if not better.

No disrespect to Pierce Brosnan though, who in my opinion gives his best performance as 007 yet, and also Sophie Marceau, who makes a perfect villainess. I can't say the same for Denise Richards however - a believable Lara Croft, yes, but nuclear scientist?? Still, the late Desmond Llewelyn as 'Q' has made a fine last performance, and I think the films will lose something without his memorable presence.

Overall, this film is very watchable for pure entertainment value, but I hope the Bond producers will consider calling it a day before they ruin what was, in the beginning, a great phenomenon.

Entertaining and Solid Entry into the 007 series

Author: secret_agent_man_0007
28 April 2000

Im a really big fan of the James Bonds so I had to see this twice in the theaters. The first time i thought it was rather disappointing and dull but the second time...it was total entertainment.

After 19 outings James Bond hasnt lost it yet. This has the normal action, gadgets, locations, villains, and girls. Pierce Brosnan is probably the best actor to play 007 (along with Connery and Moore).There are people who say that oy its the same stuff everytime and its never going to change. Well theyre right but James Bond will never change. We will always want to hear him say Bond James Bond again and again...so face it 007 will be the same forever.

I enjoyed this film very much. Its better then Goldeneye but not as good as Tomorrow Never Dies. There are problems with the film. For one the villain Renard is great concept but is so underwritten that we forget hes there. The screenwriters should have developed him more and drop Electra King from being the bad guy.

The action this time around the action is a re hash of the older 007 films. The opening sequence was the best part of the movie and probably one of the best opening sequences. We have seen the skiing chase before but its lamely done. The bunker and helicopter sequences are good but then the climax which should be the best part is lame.I have notice something about the action scenes in the last 3 007 films they all concentrate on one thing.Like in Goldeneye it was stunt sequences, In Tomorrow Never Dies its shoot outs and this one there are lots of explosion.It does matter if there on snow something will blow. Theres no huge shoot outs or fights on a top high buildings...no we get a fist fight in a tilted submarine. Oh Well at least Densie Richards wet tank top saves the ending.

The cast is fine. The usuals return M,Q, and Moneypenny. Valentin returns from Goldeneye in an amusing role. We are introduced to R played by John Cleese who is seemly going to replace Q. Sadly Desmond who has played Q was killed in December...he will be missed. The girls this time are more sexy then TND. Denise Richards is the sexist, perhaps she lacks credibilty on being a nuclear scientist but I enjoyed her preformence more then Marceua.

In the end despite numerous flaws this remains a entertaining time and an above average 007 film. Enjoy

Review: 8/10

Lives on a good Bond-feeling.

Author: revival05 from Sweden
19 April 2000

**Please excuse me for some spelling mistakes**

I'm afraid ''The World Is not enough'' have the same sickness as the very lousy ''Tomorrow Never Dies''. It is just too much over explored actionscenes, and too many people gets killed for a Bondmovie.

It would be stupid not to compare t.w.i.n.e with any other Bondmovie, and then it is painfully obvious that this one is quite low in the list. But it has one thing that ''Tomorrow never dies'' didn't (and not ''License to kill'' either buy the way). Some real Bond-feeling. There is a lot of things that are wrong in this movie, but I still think that it is a pure Bondmovie. The quick lines (''I've always wanted to have christmas in Turkey'') are perfect and everything else seem to fit in. But it is tragic to admit it, but it was better in the old days Bondmovies and in the new ones the glamour disapears. They will never make a Bondmovie like they did before. Go see ''From Russia With love'' and ''Goldfinger'' to see what Bond really is all about. My rating is 3 out of 5.

The bad guys are not as mean as they were before... i think i have to cry **Please excuse me for some spelling mistakes**

The bad guys are not as mean as they were before... i think i have to cry

Brosnan in his element

Author: Vlad W.
19 April 2000

In my opinion The World is Not Enough is easily Pierce Brosnan's finest outing as James Bond. I would even be tempted to call this the greatest Bond since say The Spy Who Loved Me if not for The Living Daylights.

To begin with we (the audience) get more action packed into the first 15 minutes than most full length movies provide. Some have complained of the boat chase's length but I found every minute of it pulse pounding.

The story is too involved to explain here and I find this another good point. The plot is intricate and believeable and the film is populated with wonderful actors, with the sad exception of Denise Richards. All the same Sophie Marceau, both beautiful and talented, more than makes up for Ms. Richards. Robert Carlyle is chilling without going over the top. Judy Dench's increased screen time is quite interesting despite my misgivings about bringing M into the fray. And Brosnan shines. He is both cruel and unforgiving as well as witty and nonchalant, something that only Connery had achieved before this.

But for all this it is also a great 007 adventure. There are plenty of explosions, fast vehichles, beautiful women, gambling, vodka martinis, skiing, guns, Q gadgets(sadly the last from Q), and the world's most style consious secret agent in the middle of it all. Above all else this film is exciting entertainment, and for that there is only one name...Bond, James Bond.

Don't you just love James Bond!

Author: stephengward from Suffolk, England
2 April 2000

The nineteenth 'official' 007 opus sees Bond leaving the twentieth century in style. After so many adventures the audience more than knows what to expect. With this in mind, it still baffles me when people complain about the tiredness and sameness the series lapses into. A simple fact should be noted here, a review stating that a Bond movie is unoriginal ain't a review in the first place!! Unoriginality is part of the series' charm and the audience does not take kindly to major changes to the proceedings. 'The world is not enough' is a great action movie in its own right. A superb pre-title sequence takes place on the river Thames in London - death defying stunts reign supreme. Bond movies are the benchmark for cinematic action. The contribution the series gives the industry in this field is immeasurable. Well where's the review of the movie I hear you ask! If you've seen one then you have the blueprint for many. Here Bond is sent to protect 'Elektra King' a wealthy heiress to an oil empire. En route he encounters various baddies who have their own vested interested in Ms King, primarily 'Renard' played by Robert Carlyle is top of this list. Sadly the film marks Desmond Llewelyn's last appearance as 'Q'. Ironically in this film 'Q' is all set to retire and is provide with an assistant - 'R'. Therefore future generations will deem this as the way 'Q' is written out of the series. However, tragically Mr. Llewelyn was killed in a car crash not long after the film had been released, - he will be missed greatly. The Brosnan era has returned 007 to the forefront of cinemagoing audiences. Both Pierce and his alter ego are a success. Future predictions, the aforementioned actor will stay with the franchise until 2007 thus clocking up seven bond films, after which some other actor will take over for a few movies but won't be accepted in the role, following this a long-term replacement is found, thus the cycle continues. In short, Bond movies are just like diamonds - they are forever!

I wanted to make a couple of points!!!

Author: (uj87@yahoo.com) from Kobe, Japan
1 April 2000

I think it`s the best of the Brosnan Bond films, that`s not really saying much.... But again like every James Bond film it goes on and on and on.....It could have been cut by 30 minutes no problem. MY big comment is the casting of Denise Richards as Dr. Christmas Jones.. A nuclear scientist, what a joke!!! What a terrible actress!!! The director seemed focused on shooting her in a wet halter top... It only added to my laughter. Denise Richards recently won worst supporting actress in the Razzies.. An award she deserved..

So Good It Even Denise Richards Can't Ruin It

Author: chrstphrtully from Washington, DC
31 March 2000

When it was announced Pierce Brosnan would be taking over the role of Bond, I for one was extremely worried. Having lived through the worst of the Roger Moore Bond films ("Moonraker" and "A View to a Kill"), I was pleasantly surprised by Timothy Dalton's rendition of the part, which returned to the no-nonsense style shown by Sean Connery in "Dr. No" and "From Russia With Love". Given my prior experience with Brosnan was primarily with "Remington Steele", you can imagine why I was concerned.

"Goldeneye" was much better than I imagined, as was Brosnan in it, and "Tomorrow the World" was not nearly as bad as it could have been. With "The World Is Not Enough", Brosnan and the series seem to have hit full stride again.

The plot is wonderfully complex, setting up a marvelous twist halfway through that sustains the plot through the last half of the film. The performances (one excepted) are uniformly excellent. Brosnan gives his character the kind of depth (e.g., guilt over failure to protect loved ones -- you can almost see Teresa Bond's face in his eyes) reflected in Connery's and Dalton's performances, which makes Bond all the more dangerous. Sophie Marceau and Judi Dench also gives a wonderfully multi-layered performance, as a woman with more going on in her mind than the audience can begin to comprehend. Robbie Coltrane is a lot of fun in his third go-round as Bond's Russian-gangster contact Zurofsky, and John Cleese looks to be a promising new addition to the series. Best of all the performances is that of Robert Carlyle as the chief villain -- his villain has to be one who feels nothing, yet there are key moments (particularly with Sophie Marceau) where the dispassionate mask falls ever so slightly. This is the sign of a great actor -- the things he can tell you without saying a word.

Which leaves Denise Richards -- what can be said about a mediocre actress playing (unconvincingly) a nuclear scientist named "Christmas Jones". Ah, well, every rose must have its thorns; fortunately, there are a lot more petals than thorns on this rose.

A final note should be made about Desmond Llewelyn, in his swan song as Q. Cleese will probably do a fine job in the role he seems set to take on, but there's something about Llewelyn that will be seriously missed about the series. From his dyspeptic reactions to Bond's treatment of his work to the later films where he truly develops a link with Bond, Llewelyn's personality has always been a welcome one to the films. Having closed out his career as Q just before his own untimely death, Llewelyn's final line of the series takes on a truly poignant note -- "Always have an escape plan." All true Bond fans will miss him.

Good flim but not the best.

Author: Jarrod (cyrus@cgocable.net) from Welland, Ontario, Canada
14 March 2000

This was one of the better bond flims but was not one of the great bond flims there was not enough action in it. The story was one of the best one`s that is what i liked the best about this one. The one villian was not really good i thought the male one the female was very good but rather bad at times during the movie.

simply a Bond movie! Anyway it is not my favorit type of movies

Author: Firas from Kiel, Germany
15 February 2000

In fact I don't watch this kind of movies. I avoid principally movies with violence, smart men with guns and beautiful women who fall in love at once and sleep with them, and especially when they such an aggressive enemy! This could be the main plot of many movies. Anyhow I watched it because I wanted to have some change and watch a movie in English since most of the movies here in Germany are dubbed. I also wanted to watch the beautiful Sophie Marceau. Well there is not much to tell about. The main idea that crossed my mind was that James Bond parody movies like "Austin Powers" are not really necessary since James Bond makes fun of himself in his movies! Another thing is that I never can understand why could be some people so wicked, at least in movies? Adding to that a bunch of scientific mistakes were unsurvivable situations like for example holding a Plutonium rod without being fatally radiated (the consequences should manifest later). The music was good and in fact I passed a nice time mocking of Bond and friends. It is also always a delight to watch Sophie, although I prefer to watch her in better movies.

Standard Bond film with some new character changes.

Author: Richard Brunton from Edinburgh, Scotland
7 February 2000

This standard Bond flick seems to be continuing the slow move toward set pieces separated by weak storyline, although in this film two things stood out, and they weren't attached to Denise Richards! The latest Bond baddie is deliciously evil, yet even he seems to be mislead and all too human, despite his superhuman qualities. Bond himself is meaner than normal, showing a harder edge brought about by his loyalty, and quite possibly affection, towards M. The storyline is stock, with the ante upped on the stunts, set pieces and one liners, with more personal involvement from M and an spooky appearance from Q, it's a must for all Bond fans and a good evenings entertainment for non-fans. Let's hope the next Bond film emphasises more on Bonds' hard edge and character development only touched on here.