IMDb > Batman & Mr. Freeze: SubZero (1998) (V) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Batman & Mr. Freeze: SubZero

Batman & Mr. Freeze: SubZero (V) More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 5:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]

A truly great Batman movie.

Author: thedarkknight-89 from United States
3 May 2005

Alongside Mask of the Phantasm, this movie is a great tribute to the Animated Series that brought Batman into children's lives. This movie, even though it was animated, was serious, realistic, and had a great plot. The fact that it came out after Shcumaker's Batman & Robin, is a shame, due to the fact that this movie, an animated movie, blows the big screen movie out of the water. Just goes to show the difference between a great movie and director, and a horrible movie.

The voices for the characters were picked perfectly, and unlike the Freeze of Batman and Robin, this Dr. Freeze was perfectly in alignment with the mentality and actions of the comic book villain.

Kevin Conroy sounds just like you expect Batman to sound like, blowing George Clooneys frankly oddball and campy rendition away. Conroy acts like people expect the real Batman to act, assuming of course you are not Joel Schumaker or anyone who thinks said directors movies are good.

Superior to B&R

Author: Op_Prime from Ardmore, PA
14 January 2000

To start with, the animation is fantastic. The story is exciting and fast paced. Not as dark as the previous animated film, but it was like the way Batman acts in the comics and show. He solves the crime, looking for clues and has a great fight with the bad guy. This could have been a big screen contender but because Batman and Robin failed, Warner Bros. said no and released it to video. But this is still great and superior to Batman and Robin. They have to make another animated Batman film, and not that Batman Beyond film they're talking about. Recommended for all.

Well done animated "Batman" film that's full of drama, explosive action and it ends on a sentimental note!

Author: Danny Blankenship from Petersburg, Virginia
14 August 2008

I for one have never really been a big fan of animated cartoon type movies, that is since I'm now an adult but in my past as a kid I treasured them. And being a big "Batman" fan I just had to check out the animated films even as an adult. I must say that this film featuring villain Mr. Freeze: Subzero didn't let me down either. As Freeze wanted to chill Gotham City this animated film brought red hot explosive action! The drama and story is well laid out with a plot twist that would even appear in a big screen movie. It centers around Barbara Gordon("Batgirl") who finds herself being the unlucky one that's kidnapped by Freeze when he finds out that she's an organ donor. The thing is the wife of Freeze needs an organ transplant to return to her normal state. Never fear "Batman" and "Robin" are to the rescue! Really watch this if you haven't it ends with everyone on a happy note just like the days when you as a kid watched cartoons! Overall great animated work of a "Batman" film.

WHAT BATMAN AND ROBIN SHOULD HAVE BEEN!!

Author: fjustice1988 (fjustice1988@charter.net) from somewhere in my head
6 December 2002

This isn't the live action Batman, but much like Mask of the Phantasm, is an amazing animated Batman! So amazing in fact, that they should've made it Batman and Robin! It is so much what the last Batmovie Batman and Robin should have been. Totally amazing.

Similar plot, better results.

Author: Tresix from Chicago, Illinois
15 June 1999

That SUB-ZERO should come on the HEELS of BATMAN & ROBIN with George Clooney, Chris O'Donnell and Arnold Schwarzenegger is a blasphemy. This movie should have been released first to give Joel Schumacher an idea of how his film should have been. SUB-ZERO uses much the same plot as B&R, but with way better results. SUB-ZERO also does it without relying on heavy camp humor as the live-action film did. Like BATMAN: MASK OF THE PHANTASM, SUB-ZERO can stand alongside those Max Fleischer SUPERMAN cartoons from the Forties.

AWESOME CARTOON FILM

Author: Big Movie Fan from England
6 March 2002

I have nothing but respect for the 1990's Batman cartoon series. It's dark, action packed, the animation is superb and the storylines very interesting indeed.

My favourite Batman villain would probably be the Joker but in the cartoon series I think Mr Freeze is probably the best.

There have been Batman cartoon series before this in the 60's and 70's. Mr Freeze did make appearances in both series but he was portrayed as an evil villain. In actual fact, Mr Freeze is not an evil villain. He has a good heart deep down and this movie portrays that wonderfully. Rather than making him into some sinister villain who wishes to freeze everything in sight the producers portrayed him as a tragic man who became a villain through little fault of his own. This is what makes this a good cartoon-it's very thought provoking.

Besides all that, it's an action packed movie with great action scenes in it. Check it out.

Blows Batman and Robin Out of the Water!!

Author: mitchell5954 from United States
29 April 2013

Batman Subzero is what Batman and Robin should have been. This movie, like Mask of The Phantasm, is a animated movie based on Bruce Timm's animated series. This movie is one of my favorite batman movies both animated and live action. It's in the top 10. Compare to Mask of the Phantasm, this film is kind of underwhelming, but a good film nevertheless.

Subzero is based on an episode of the animated series called Hearts in Ice, which centers around the villain Mr. Freeze. Like many incarnations in this universe this Mr. Freeze is my favorite incarnation of the character. In the old comics and in Batman and Robin he was a generic bad bad bent on world domination. In this movie, he is more of a tragic character. Freeze's wife has an incurable disease, and he is trying to come-up with a cure. This plot element is the driving factor for the film.

The other main characters were good as well. Kevin Conroy as Batman is always great. He is my favorite Batman. Robin was okay. Barbara Gordon/Batgirl is okay as well, though she is mostly the damsel in distress in this film. Her relationship with Robin was pretty nice.

The art and animation is great as usual. The score is good as well. Most of the music is from the animated series.

The problem that I have with this film, and that others might have as well, is that it is basically a rehash of Hearts in Ice. If you have watched the series and seen that episode, you might be a bit disappointed. It basically has the same plot as the episode except extended. This movie is not in the same league as Mask of the Phantasm. However, it is still a fun and entertaining movie. This movie did take itself seriously and treated the viewers like adults, unlike Batman and Robin.

Overall, this film is an example of what Batman and Robin should have been. I think it is criminal that this went straight to video, and Batman and Robin got into theaters.

Top Quality Batman Movie That Should Have Wo Some Awards

Author: voicemaster71 from United States
15 December 2005

If Mask of the Phantasm compliments the first 70 episodes of Batman: The Animated Series, Subzero compliments the 15 episodes that comprise the Adventures of Batman and Robin. Mr. Freeze is one of my top favorite villains in this show thanks to Michael Ansara's magnificent portrayal of a tortured man, who although dead to emotions is more determined than ever to save the life of his dying wife Nora. I love this movie better than Mask of the Phantasm because being a Batman and Robin fan, I was thrilled that Robin was included in this Direct to Video Release. Kevin Conroy and Loren Lester are once again, superb in their roles as Batman and Robin. Regarding Batgirl, I was not exactly happy that she was in costume only briefly, but as Barbara Gordon, she was great as a damsel in distress, but still able to take care of herself, just like in the Heart of Steel 2 part episode. We even see a potential romance develop between Dick Grayson and Barbara Gordon. Dick's wild motorcycle ride after Freeze's van is definitely worth seeing. The animation quality is even better than ever, partially due to CGI, but hey! I'm not complaining.

It's interesting to note two voice overs in this movie, George Dzunda (Scarface and the Ventriloquist and Perry White on Superman) is the voice of Dr. Gregory Belson and Dean Jones (Disney's Herbie the Love Bug movies) is the voice of Belson's Stockbroker.

My biggest gripe about this movie was the fact that WB decided to wait an entire year before releasing it. I felt they should have gone ahead and released it in the summer of 1997 so people could have enjoyed a better "Batman and Robin" movie than the abomination that Schumacher made. By airing the WB episodes first and then releasing this movie in 1998 was a mistake I felt. Why? Because if you saw the WB episode "Cold Comfort" you would already know the upcoming fate of Nora Fries, so WB's decision to bump the release spoiled the surprise of this delightful movie for everyone.

Of all the three animated Batman movies, I felt that Subzero is by far, the best of the three. It's also the last time we see the Batman characters in the Fox style before their revamps on the WB network, plus, with the exception of the "Old Wounds" episode, it's Dick Grayson's last adventure as Robin. And my hats off to the late Mary Kay Bergman, who voiced over Barbara Gordon/Batgirl in this movie. Like Mask of the Phantasm, I highly recommend Subzero for purchase or rental.

sure, compared to Batman & Robin it's quite good...

Author: MisterWhiplash from United States
30 July 2008

This doesn't necessarily put Subzero, a straight-to-video release about Mr. Freeze's ongoing attempts to resurrect his wife, into the pantheon of great Batman animated movies. When comparing to Mask of the Phantasm or even Batman/Superman, it's nowhere near as ambitious. It's actually kind of run-of-the-mill in its storytelling, with some solid peril as Batman and Robin try and crack the mystery behind Batgirl/Barbara Bordon's kidnapping, but some lackluster animation. When the filmmakers try to inject some computer animation into some sequences, like with some of the chase scenes or the ones up in the arctic, they completely fall flat. And the romantic entangling we see Dick Grayson and Barara get into is weak as well. Only when the animators stick to what works best on the TV series, and when we get a few moments of pure Batman action, does the movie strike any decent ground.

It's maybe worth seeing once, mostly if you're big into Batman or the series (hey, who can resist Kevin Conroy voicing Batman?), but its appeal isn't one for repeat viewings, save if you're really young and don't care either way.

Ehh....it's alright.

Author: THEBIGL
17 December 1998

The animation, no doubt, is top-notch. That's a given, though, when you're dealing with this particular series. As for the plot, it's simple enough. Kinda spooky, though, for me given that I share that blood type. (Thankfully I don't fit the demographic.) Anyway, Mr. Freeze comes off as he should: a tragic display of a man who's fighting to hold onto his life as he knew it. Mr. Freeze is not a villain by nature, but by default. To achieve his goal of restoring his wife, he's forced by circumstance into lawbreaking. Outside of that, Mr. Freeze is no more menacing a person than you or I. Unfortunately, Mr. Freeze is the only one with development in "Sub Zero." Bruce/Batman appears more or less in a cameo this time, the lack of screen time not letting him really display any characterization. Dick/Robin has enough going on that he shows off some, sure, and there's some tension for him, but that's really as far as it went. Barbara/Batgirl got to showcase herself better than the Dynamic Duo, most likely to show us why she got to sign on permanently with Batman in the new series. But for all she does in this one, we don't really walk away feeling we know anything new about her, either. Oh, sure, we know her blood type. But aside from that, she basically just got more lines than the guys. Would I recommend "Sub Zero?" Definitely. After all, where this creative team is concerned, even their "Just OK" material is usually superior to most anyway.

Page 1 of 5:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]