IMDb > Looks Can Kill (1994) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Looks Can Kill More at IMDbPro »

A short sharp shock (spoiler)

Author: Darragh O' Donoghue (hitch1899_@hotmail.com) from dublin, ireland
24 February 2000

This must be one of the shortest films ever made. A lap dancer does her act in front of a gaggle of appreciative grotesques. The dual means of her livelihood (this is a family site after all!) become machine guns, and she mows down her admirers. The guns remetamorphose, and the lady's act is finished. And that's about it.

More films should be as economic, and more political films should make their points with such concise wit. I don't actually know what the politics are, beyond the passive spectacle, the object, the woman, taking over the phallic power and destroying those who would pin her down, but she still remains an object of admiration for us. We may be grotesque, but we're not dead, unless her real-life counterparts take her cue, which would be as interesting as it would be exciting (because I think that's the real, Lara Croft-style thrill of the film).

Who cares? The lively animation is reminiscent of REN AND STIMPY's more heightened, nightmare moments, in which an excessively bright focal point moves against a sombre, melancholy, petrified background. The music and sound effects are hugely inventive. The whole sick joke has the air of a genial all-American parade. Weird.