IMDb > Dragon Ball Z: Lord Slug (1991) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Doragon bôru Z: Sûpâ saiyajin da Son Gokû

Dragon Ball Z: Lord Slug More at IMDbPro »Doragon bôru Z: Sûpâ saiyajin da Son Gokû (original title)

Highly Underrated

Author: nightdawndaylandofthedea from United States
4 August 2006

I really don't see why people don't like this movie. I did like it and it was finally a Dragon Ball Z movie that I liked every aspect of. Lord Slug was a pretty cool villain and beat Goku pretty bad. Actually I liked the beating. My favorite part was when Goku became a sort of Super Sayian. I call it that cause all that happened was his hair went up like a SS and his eye color left, almost Kaioken, not the blonde hair like the regular one. The animation was cool, going into the much better animation that came into the show at the time of this movie. The voices were great too. These were the voices that made the characters who they are. Goku and Gohan especially.

Another solid DBZ offering

Author: MovieLord23 from San Antonio
1 September 2015

Lord Slug is another of those movies that don't care about being cannon with the series and offers an individual situation. It all follows the typical formula of a DBZ movie, but the end result was still entertaining enough.

Good: The fights here are short, but are fun. Piccolo gets a lot of attention and the best moments. Goku of course gets the main fight with Lord Slug and it is decent. Lord Slug himself is an OK villain even if he's underdeveloped.

Bad: The movie is as predictable as the other ones and nothing new happens here or memorable for that matter. The side villains are very weak.

Overall, it is a disposable entry. It has fun moments, but it doesn't leave much of an impression either.

A good DBZ movie but bad English dub..

Author: John Doe from Unknown
12 May 2015

Dragon Ball Z: Lord Slug is the fourth Dragon Ball Z film released originally in Japan on March 19, 1991 under the title 'Doragon Bōru Zetto: Sūpā Saiyajin da Son Gokū' which means 'Dragon Ball Z: Super Saiyan Son Goku' The FUNimation title is 'Lord Slug' and the UK title is 'Super Saiya Son Goku'.

Anyways, the movie is quite bad and has a terrible FUNimation English dub. The script is badly written and doesn't follow the original Japanese version.

The story is that a Super Namekian named Lord Slug has come to planet Earth to take it over. Goku turns into a False Super Saiyan and uses the Spirit Bomb to defeat Lord Slug.

FUNimation added some hard rock bands replacing the original Japanese music which I like. including Finger Eleven, Dust for Life, American Pearl and Disturbed.

I give this movie a 5 out of 10.

Enjoy this more than DBZ Kai

Author: Rashid Ehzaz
10 March 2013

I actually like this more than the recently Remake of the series (Kai) which released on the channel "Kix", so anyways this film was what I always wanted, my favourite rock band "Disturbed" composed some songs in it and the voice cast from Kai in it (except for Gohan and Bulma I think), don't know why people don't like the English ver, I just think that the rock music fits in with all the action and I couldn't be bothered watching it in Japanese because I couldn't understand it, I can't be bothered reading the subtitles, Goku has a stupid chipmunk voice and the cr*p music. It's just my opinion so if you want to watch it in Japanese thats fine, but the English offers more if your into rock and anime.

Fast paced DBZ adventure.

Author: Aaron1375
27 July 2010

I enjoyed this Dragonball Z film, it did not have quite the story or length as the first film featuring Broly, but it makes up for this fact by being fast paced. It is especially fast paced when compared to "The World's Strongest" and "Tree of Might". The English version I got of this one also did a pretty good job of syncing a rather good rock soundtrack to this one. The film has a mysterious alien force has descended upon Earth. Its goal, to turn the Earth into a spaceship, the villain a being known as Lord Slug. Enough with the introductions let the fighting begin. There are your typical fights with characters such as Krillin and Gohan. Piccolo also shows up to lend a hand. Still, most of the others do not do so well and then Goku shows and proceeds to wipe the floor with all the baddies. That is until he faces Lord Slug who gives him one heck of a nice fight. I am guessing this took place right before Goku turned Super Saiyan for the first time in the series as they sort of have a brief transformation of Goku to a state that is not quite Super Saiyan. All in all it is a rather good movie, the action is fast and the rock music soundtrack in the English version is just so perfect for this one. They would try again to do that in the Cooler movie, but it doesn't quite work in that one.

DBZ Movie 4: King Picc...I mean, "Lord Slug"...

Author: jasonmadrid from United States
6 September 2008

Where the first three DBZ movies gave fans a lot of what they wanted (including the mind-blowing action sequences that were used in the opening credits for the show, "Rock the Dragon!"), the fourth movie, "Lord Slug," is a major step down, especially considering that they should be a lot more powerful by now.

The plot is as follows: A killer comet or some such space rock is headed for Earth, somehow causing a bunch of natural disasters in the process. Just when it seems that all hope is lost, though, the meteor is diverted...only for a new threat to descend on Earth from the asteroid.

Enter Lord Slug, the enigmatic tyrant from beyond the stars who has come to claim the Dragon Balls and turn Earth into his new frozen, barren homeworld. It's up to Goku and co. to stop him!

I remember getting this on VHS when Mom and I were at Target (I don't remember which one of us actually paid for it though lol). It was this one and "Big Daddy," and unfortunately the tape has since been eaten by my cheap VCR so I can no longer watch it. It's decent for an action film (though nowhere near the first 3 movies), and the fight sequences, while lacking the intensity of its predecessors, are at least memorable. This so-so direct-to-video movie is somewhat redeemed by a heavy metal-type soundtrack including Disturbed and what's-their-faces. (Of course, the version which aired on Toonami had a different soundtrack, which made it feel kinda like a let-down.)

This movie tends to suffer from what I call "GT Syndrome." The fights are okay, but the animation and frankly the movie as a whole is bland and kind of rushed, even compared to other movies in the series. Its place in the main timeline is also a question for the fans, although there is the possibility that it takes place after Goku arrives back from space and he simply hasn't learned to control his SS powers yet. The overall plot is okay and even the threat to the planet seems halfway plausible (the aliens in space-suits, their takeover of the planet), but the end seems kind of tacky (think "Tree of Might," only instead the tree is a mass of clouds). Even the main villain isn't that original...

Highlight: Goku transforming into something that King Kai abruptly calls a "Super Saiyan," but it doesn't look like a Super Saiyan, act like a Super Saiyan, or seem half as strong as a Super Saiyan. Wikipedia calls it an "Enraged Super Saiyan," or "1/2 Super Saiyan," an SS transformation driven by pure rage which pushes him about halfway into it.

Final ruling: Basically sets the bar even lower for DBZ movies. It doesn't fit in the timeline, the animation is so-so, and it's not even as fun to watch as most of the other movies. Basically, only for those who have the money to waste and/or are hardcore fans. (Why release 2 movies a year if this is the end result?)

Pretty nice, but the dubbed version sucks!

Author: Todor Kunov (toshguy@abv.bg) from Bulgaria
13 April 2007

I watched the dubbed version of this movie first, so I'll begin with it. First of all I would like to state that the music in the American version was simply atrocious and even a bit insulting for DBZ. The dub voices are slightly better than the ones from Ocean Group but still aren't very good. At least none of them are as annoying as most of the Ocean voices were.

The thing I most liked about the original version was the music. Superb, as always. The Japanese voices are really cool (also as always), although Goku's voice is quite annoying and too feminine. I think they should have replaced Masako Nozawa with a male actor for DBZ.

Anyway, on to the plot - certainly not as nice as the ones of the previous movies, but still better than the plots of most animes and since it's DBZ it's pretty good. But they used an almost totally different definition for the term "Super Namekian" than they did in the series.

I recommend the previous three movies more than this one - not only because they have better plots, also because the dubbed versions have the original music score in them, because of which I'm willing to put up with the annoying voices.

The Best at the Point

Author: nightdawndaylandofthedea from United States
4 August 2006

This was the best DBZ movie that was ever made at the time of it's release. While the first three weren't that great and the fourth was the in my opinion the awakening of the films, the fifth was when the movies came into their own. Cooler is a really cool villain and much better then Frieza in a lot of ways, (1 way is he doesn't sound like an old woman who smoke for 50 years)Cooler is also the first really awesome villain in the films. Probably one of the best in the whole DB franchise. He's everything that Frieza should have been. Also I like how Goku still couldn't go Super Sayian whenever he pleased and still needed anger to do it. All in all I really enjoyed this movie and recommend it.

My first review.

Author: (llynnkp@yahoo.com)
20 November 2003

SPOILERS AHOY, MATEYS! ------------------------------------------------------------------------

Welcome to my first review. Well, let's cut to the chase. I am a Dragonball/Z/Gt fan. I was skeptic about buying this on DVD, when I was told it was a sucky movie. I decided to buy the uncut version on DVD, and I'm glad I did! It is about when an asteroid is about to strike earth. No problemo, Goku can just blast it to bits, right? WRONG!!!! It is inhabited with life forms, and Goku doesn't want to hurt the extraterrestrials, yet if he doesn't, everyone on earth will die. Rather thorny situation..... Until the rock changes course, and explodes, but not before a spaceship speeds out of it. Then emerges LORD SLUG and his minions! He is the ultimate enemy, and is tearing Goku and hes friends apart! Will earth fall at the hands of this villian? Not before slug and Goku turnb to their uuber-cool super forms for one final deathmatch in the ruined city! Don't miss this one if you're a DBZ fan! If you buy it, be sure you get the uncut PG-13 version, the edited for tv one is just plain sorry.

10 stars

Author: Bruce Vest from USA
21 July 2002

(Warning Spoilers)

this a great dragon ball z movie, lord slug comes to terra freeze earth and make it a satilite, this is an awesome movie and i recommend it for true dragon ball z fans

stars(1-10)**********