IMDb > Dragon Ball Z: The World's Strongest (1990) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Doragon bôru Z: Kono yo de ichiban tsuyoi yatsu

Dragon Ball Z: The World's Strongest More at IMDbPro »Doragon bôru Z: Kono yo de ichiban tsuyoi yatsu (original title)

Excellent animation, but uncharacteristically science-fiction plot

Author: AnthonyRS1983 from New York
2 July 2002

This is the second Dragon Ball Z movie released during the series' Japanese TV run. This movie's plot, unlike the first DBZ movie, is not a re-telling of a particular moment in the TV series, but more of a side story. While Gohan assists Oolong on a trip up to the Zulmitezubri Mountains to recover Dragon Balls to wish for women's underwear, they stumble upon the Dragon Balls being used by an assistant scientist named Dr. Kochin. He makes a wish to the Eternal Dragon, Shenron, to free his mentor, Dr. Wheelo, from the ice that for fifty years buried him after the heavens punished him and Dr. Kochin for their selfish and inhumane intentions of their scientific endeavors. After the two scientists abduct Piccolo, Master Roshi, and Bulma, Goku sets out to rescue them and save himself from being used as a puppet controlled by Dr. Wheelo's only remains, his brain. This movie's plot is radically different from the usual demons-and-martial-arts affairs. It focuses on science fiction elements, which were actually developed later on into the TV series during the Cell era. The science-fiction story elements often causes the movie to drag inbetween the fight sequences, but the animation continues to be superb and surpasses that of the previous DBZ movie Return My Gohan! a.k.a. Dead Zone.

GRADE: 2.5 out of 5

Best out of the 3 Pioneer Dubbed Movies!

Author: hybrid_theory_bd from Canada
15 December 2006

This Dragonball Z Movie is one of my very favorite, It has Excellent fight scenes and a very... Different original story, And on top of that the movie is pretty fun to watch, a lot of variety here. We got Master Roshi fighting, we got Dr. Wheelo's hand transforming into a Gun! and a lot of the fight scenes are some of the best in all of the movies. The fights are long and go pretty much throughout the entire movie, this one is also 60 minutes and is MUCH more better than "The Tree Of Might" which is also 60 minutes... I also found the animation for this movie was the best out of the three Pioneer Dubbed movies, just motion wise, I found that the fight scenes in the Worlds Strongest had more smooth motion fights and a lot of pretty unique fights, As of Dead Zone and The Tree Of Might they had there awesome fights here and there but The Worlds Strongest had excellent smooth animation throughout the entire movie.

Pretty nice.

Author: dieusani
18 March 2002

Out of the three DBZ films I've seen--Dead Zone, The World's Strongest, and Tree of Might--The World's Strongest is the one I most enjoyed. The plot is decent enough: evil guy tries to take over the world, Goku and pals have to stop him...there's a little bit in there about Goku's rival/ally, Piccolo, getting mind controlled and having to fight Goku. This all leads up to some nice, fast-paced action with the least stalling ever featured in DBZ. ^_^ What's really great about the action in this film is that unlike most other DBZ stuff, it concentrates mostly on martial arts rather than the flying and massive blasts of power and charging up that is the center of the action on the TV show. The martial arts action is very well-animated, and the fights manage to be very dramatic for the most part. Now for the bad. Gohan...sings...a...song...in...honor...of...Piccolo. I will never get those few minutes of my life back. "Di di di, Pic-co-lo..."

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH! Sorry...having flashbacks. That is seriously one of the most screwed-up, insane songs in the world and I worry that the people who made that sequence were on some sort of mind-altering substance...there is no other explanation for its existance. Anyway, fast-forward past THAT insanity and this is a film you should enjoy.

A must see for Dragon Ball Z fans

Author: Op_Prime from Ardmore, PA
15 January 2001

This was an excellent movie. The animation is just great. The story seems pretty weak and it doesn't have the greatest dialogue in the world, but it's still pretty good. The fight scenes are terrific and more than make up for the story. This is a definite must see for all fans of the series.

Awesome

Author: culwin
21 February 2000

Although it probably helps if you are already familiar with the characters and storyline of the Dragonball Z series, it is not a necessity. The animation of Dragonball Z has always focused on fighting, and this movie is no exception. If you've never seen this series and you're wondering what you're missing, this is a good place to start. I also recommend seeing "Dragonball Z: Dead Zone" if you get the chance. Both are must-sees for any die-hard fan.

Who is the strongest fighter in the world...

Author: DoubtfulHenry from United States
9 November 2008

Dragon Ball Z: The World's Strongest is my favorite dragon ball z movie. The animation is smooth, the fights are awesome, and it's just an all around fun film to watch.

The world's strongest takes place somewhere before namek but after vegeta. Doctor Wheelo is a bio-scientist and together with his assistant ko-chin, they plan to take the body of the most powerful being on earth and use it as a vessel for doctor wheelo's genius brain.

The story as far as anime goes is passable, but in comparison to film in general, it's kinda ridiculous. But hey, i don't watch dragon ball z for story. I like it cuz of the crazy fights and fun characters. The World's Strongest delivers this. Goku, Krillin, Piccolo, Master Roshi and Gohan are all in top form. The fights here are great, and as mentioned before, have fluid animation. The voices are are alright but some of the dialogue is annoying. The music is classic original DBZ, which i dislike very much actually. Thankfully there isn't too much of it And i didn't enjoy the dream sequence where gohan falls asleep while doing homework. Oh well, still a great movie. I highly recommend this movie if you are a fan of dragon ball z. Nonfans will be lost and probably unhappy with it, but for real fans, you can't find any better than this.

The World's strongest indeed.

Author: emasterslake from United States
15 June 2008

For sometime the crazed Dr. Wheelo has been resurrected as a brain in a robot. Now his desire is to inhabit the body of the world's most powerful fighter. Master Roshi was targeted as the body to snatch. While little did Wheelo knew is that there's someone far stronger than Master Roshi himself.

Like the previous movie this one is like watching a 2 parter episode.

The idea of the story was entertaining and it has all the promising characters making an appearance. Course this was an alternate telling during the first part of the series, so it doesn't feature those who make an appearance later in the long lived anime.

If you like the first one, then this one is right up your alley.

Better then the Dead Zone....Not Saying Much Though

Author: nightdawndaylandofthedea from United States
4 August 2006

The World Strongest was a decent Dragon Ball Z. I mean it tries to be original. While the first film The Dead Zone retold the beginning of the show, this one made a honest attempt to make an new story....problem is....the story's pretty plain. Goku's friends are hurt, Goku shows up, fights a few of the lackeys, get the living crap beaten out of him, finds a way to beat the bad guy. No surprise. Well one. Goku's spirit bomb works on the boss. Goku's used that thing four times. Only hurt Vegeta, barely hurt Frieza, killed Buu, and this robot guy. That was pretty cool. I also don't like the voices in the movie as I don't like the early voices of the show. They just don't fit the characters.

Review of World's strongest

Author: Ardin Henderson from Edinburgh
27 May 2005

I don't know how this movie fared on the market yet I liked it. The movie unlike others, (others meaning ones translated by FunImation) kept the original musical score. BIG +. Though dialogue at times was a little naff (writer Christopher Neel), I was simply too hooked into the fight scenes to notice. Goku vs Piccolo, as evil as he was, had to take the cake. Especially when Piccolo smacked Gohan round. You got to see everyone fight, even Master Roshi which was pretty cool. I really liked the detail in this movie. Being set in the mountains, steam was drawn wafting from the characters mouths at points. A nice touch.

The plot was decent enough. Dr. Wheelo even got a little history thrown in. His three elite fighters if I recall had next to no lines, so they kept a real evil air about them when fighting. As for bad points. The voice chosen for Dr. Wheelo was somewhat annoying and he tended to have rather bad lines. He could have been made much more evil than what he was. Many a time lines were just the problem, if only he had said that instead of *sneer* .... that. It was also some what uninventive that Goku finished with the spirit bomb attack. If all else fails I guess. But overall I did like this film, it is the better of the few I have seen.

"I am my own best quote"

A good flick.

Author: Aaron1375
24 September 2001

This DBZ movie is very good. It is the only movie so far that I have seen where you get to see Master Roshi fight. Sure the fight doesn't last long, but he does good for a bit. This movie is about a crazy doctor who is now a brain in a jar. This guy wants the strongest person in the world so he can have his body. He hasn't been around lately so he mistakes Master Roshi for the strongest, but Bulma tells him that Goku is. Goku is on his way to rescue them and a bunch of cool fighting begins. Gohan, Krillin, and Picallo also are on hand for the fight.