Dragon Ball Z: The World's Strongest (1990) Poster

Not as good as "Dead Zone", but still a good watch
SlyGuy217 September 2017
For being a self contained story, with no build-up for the antagonists, this is structured really well. You can see elements from the Saiyan Saga, as well as the Ginyu and Frieza Sagas, but it doesn't feel super condensed like "Mythical Adventure" was. The action's good, the humor's good, and the plot's easy enough to follow. The biggest problem the movie has is Dr. Wheelo himself. He's not as interesting as Garlic Jr. was, and his plan, while evil, seems more suited for "Dragon Ball", instead of DBZ. Aside from that though, there's not much to complain about. If you're a fan of DBZ, check this out, there's a lot to like about it, and it's a quick sit.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Dr. Wheelo want's Goku's brain...
John Doe23 August 2015
This is the second Dragon Ball Z Feature film, being called 'Doragon Bōru Z: Kono Yo de Ichiban Tsuyoi Yatsu' which means 'Dragon Ball Z the Movie: The World's Strongest' but the Toei title is 'The Strongest Guy in the World', anyway, this film stars off with Dr. Whello summoning Shenlong to resurrect Dr Kochin from his icy grave. and, now together, they kidnap Bulma and Master Roshi so Goku and his friends must rescue her, but it turns out that Dr, Kochin wants Goku's brain (Dr. Kochin is actually a giant brain living in a tank i kid you not) so he can be the strongest fighter in the universe.

This film is actually quite good for being only sixty minutes long having good action scenes with the story being tied up nicely in the end.

However, I think the Ocean Group dub was better written over the FUNimation script and the FUNimation dub replaces the original Japanese music but i do prefer the FUNimation voices over the Ocean Group dub. This is a good Dragon Ball Z movie That fans will enjoy.

I give The World's strongest a 7/10.
I'm Impressed!
tequila10120 August 2012
After watching Dead Zone and claiming that it was the only thing I loved about DBZ, I'd say it's that this next film which came out straight after it is good.

I think the voices are contrasted well between conversations, fight scenes and introduction.

I think the music is generally great and I like the snowy atmosphere. Definitely different to other DBZ settings, mainly contrasting Dead Zone.

The only problem I really had was this film did drag on at a few points which kept me waiting for something. In my opinion, its definitely not as amazing as Dead Zone.

I still like it and it has intrigued me to watch the other 13 or so films they have made in the on-going series! 8/10
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Who is the strongest fighter in the world...
DoubtfulHenry9 November 2008
Dragon Ball Z: The World's Strongest is my favorite dragon ball z movie. The animation is smooth, the fights are awesome, and it's just an all around fun film to watch.

The world's strongest takes place somewhere before namek but after vegeta. Doctor Wheelo is a bio-scientist and together with his assistant ko-chin, they plan to take the body of the most powerful being on earth and use it as a vessel for doctor wheelo's genius brain.

The story as far as anime goes is passable, but in comparison to film in general, it's kinda ridiculous. But hey, i don't watch dragon ball z for story. I like it cuz of the crazy fights and fun characters. The World's Strongest delivers this. Goku, Krillin, Piccolo, Master Roshi and Gohan are all in top form. The fights here are great, and as mentioned before, have fluid animation. The voices are are alright but some of the dialogue is annoying. The music is classic original DBZ, which i dislike very much actually. Thankfully there isn't too much of it And i didn't enjoy the dream sequence where gohan falls asleep while doing homework. Oh well, still a great movie. I highly recommend this movie if you are a fan of dragon ball z. Nonfans will be lost and probably unhappy with it, but for real fans, you can't find any better than this.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Not perfect, but still pretty slick
jasonmadrid8 September 2008
The first DBZ movie to air on Cartoon Network (and thus, the first DBZ movie I ever saw) is definitely one of the most memorable. "The World's Strongest" is one of the original, higher-quality movies of the film series and easily the best of the original three.

The plot is simple enough. A disembodied mad scientist wants to claim and take over the body of the world's strongest person, and as such, targets the Z Fighters. The rest is some of the slickest action sequences I've ever seen in an animated movie.

This movie's main strength is that the Z Fighters are treated as just that: martial arts fighters with some superhuman moves, rather than superhumans (or even Super Saiyans!) with some martial arts moves. The result is some of the most intense fights that I've ever seen between cartoon characters. They're also more vulnerable to high-tech and even conventional weaponry this time around (disregarding the fact that Goku once took an axe to the head in the "Dragon Ball" cartoon when he was just a kid), which opens up an endless number of possibilities. One memorable scene features Goku using his martial arts prowess to stay one step ahead of a room full of spiked balls (something you'd never see in a DBZ movie for the simple fact that your typical Super Saiyan isn't afraid of some shiny little spikes). Combine this intense action with an evil brainwashed Piccolo and some good quality animators, and you've got one of the best DBZ movies out there.

Its main weakness is that the hardcore fan isn't too sure of this movie's place in the timeline. Goku uses some techniques from his time as a dead man, which means that the Saiyans should've already shown up, but Piccolo is still alive...let's face it, though, these movies aren't known for staying true to the series. Even as far down the line as Movie 6, there are still some issues that haven't been resolved.

Final ruling: A fine piece of cinema this still isn't, but there's a reason this was the first movie that Toonami showed in their little DBZ movie block. If you can get past the minor details and errors between the main show and the movie and watch it for what it is, there's no way you can't enjoy it. (Take it from 12-year-old me...)
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
The World's strongest indeed.
emasterslake15 June 2008
For sometime the crazed Dr. Wheelo has been resurrected as a brain in a robot. Now his desire is to inhabit the body of the world's most powerful fighter. Master Roshi was targeted as the body to snatch. While little did Wheelo knew is that there's someone far stronger than Master Roshi himself.

Like the previous movie this one is like watching a 2 parter episode.

The idea of the story was entertaining and it has all the promising characters making an appearance. Course this was an alternate telling during the first part of the series, so it doesn't feature those who make an appearance later in the long lived anime.

If you like the first one, then this one is right up your alley.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Best out of the 3 Pioneer Dubbed Movies!
hybrid_theory_bd15 December 2006
This Dragonball Z Movie is one of my very favorite, It has Excellent fight scenes and a very... Different original story, And on top of that the movie is pretty fun to watch, a lot of variety here. We got Master Roshi fighting, we got Dr. Wheelo's hand transforming into a Gun! and a lot of the fight scenes are some of the best in all of the movies. The fights are long and go pretty much throughout the entire movie, this one is also 60 minutes and is MUCH more better than "The Tree Of Might" which is also 60 minutes... I also found the animation for this movie was the best out of the three Pioneer Dubbed movies, just motion wise, I found that the fight scenes in the Worlds Strongest had more smooth motion fights and a lot of pretty unique fights, As of Dead Zone and The Tree Of Might they had there awesome fights here and there but The Worlds Strongest had excellent smooth animation throughout the entire movie.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Better then the Dead Zone....Not Saying Much Though
The World Strongest was a decent Dragon Ball Z. I mean it tries to be original. While the first film The Dead Zone retold the beginning of the show, this one made a honest attempt to make an new story....problem is....the story's pretty plain. Goku's friends are hurt, Goku shows up, fights a few of the lackeys, get the living crap beaten out of him, finds a way to beat the bad guy. No surprise. Well one. Goku's spirit bomb works on the boss. Goku's used that thing four times. Only hurt Vegeta, barely hurt Frieza, killed Buu, and this robot guy. That was pretty cool. I also don't like the voices in the movie as I don't like the early voices of the show. They just don't fit the characters.
Review of World's strongest
Ardin Henderson27 May 2005
I don't know how this movie fared on the market yet I liked it. The movie unlike others, (others meaning ones translated by FunImation) kept the original musical score. BIG +. Though dialogue at times was a little naff (writer Christopher Neel), I was simply too hooked into the fight scenes to notice. Goku vs Piccolo, as evil as he was, had to take the cake. Especially when Piccolo smacked Gohan round. You got to see everyone fight, even Master Roshi which was pretty cool. I really liked the detail in this movie. Being set in the mountains, steam was drawn wafting from the characters mouths at points. A nice touch.

The plot was decent enough. Dr. Wheelo even got a little history thrown in. His three elite fighters if I recall had next to no lines, so they kept a real evil air about them when fighting. As for bad points. The voice chosen for Dr. Wheelo was somewhat annoying and he tended to have rather bad lines. He could have been made much more evil than what he was. Many a time lines were just the problem, if only he had said that instead of *sneer* .... that. It was also some what uninventive that Goku finished with the spirit bomb attack. If all else fails I guess. But overall I did like this film, it is the better of the few I have seen.

"I am my own best quote"
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
This movie just doesn't make any sense
johnnythewolf22 December 2004
This movie isn't the worst DBZ movie ever, but absolutely not the best either.

The story started up okay. It's about an evil doctor named Wheelo who wants to put his highly-advanced brain in the most powerful body in the world (the world's strongest, duh). So, he sends his assistant, Dr. Cochrin, or whatever his real name is, and a bunch of "saibamen-like" henchmen to capture what he thinks to be the world's strongest, Master Roshi. Then, Gohan, Goku and Krillin come to the rescue and yada yada.

The main problem of this movie is actually what should be the main interest of it: the fights. In fact, there is too many incoherences in those. For example, Roshi fights Wheelo's biowarriors and don't seem to have any problem in doing it. On the other side, Goku, who is a LOT stronger than Roshi, couldn't do it without Kaioken. Such a nonsense! Also, why in the world Wheelo wants to put his brain in Roshi's body if his super cyborg-like form is so powerful? There's a lot of people who think that Lord Slug is one of the worst DBZ movie ever made. I don't. At least, fighting scenes in Lord Slug make sense! And it has a TRUE villain, not some kind of giant self-underestimating cyborg who sounds like Darth Vader.

But at least, World's strongest do have some serious fights scenes and a decent story if we put aside the incoherence. So, I guess this movie is not THAT bad. Oh, and it's still better than "Return of Broly".
2 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Excellent animation, but uncharacteristically science-fiction plot
AnthonyRS19832 July 2002
This is the second Dragon Ball Z movie released during the series' Japanese TV run. This movie's plot, unlike the first DBZ movie, is not a re-telling of a particular moment in the TV series, but more of a side story. While Gohan assists Oolong on a trip up to the Zulmitezubri Mountains to recover Dragon Balls to wish for women's underwear, they stumble upon the Dragon Balls being used by an assistant scientist named Dr. Kochin. He makes a wish to the Eternal Dragon, Shenron, to free his mentor, Dr. Wheelo, from the ice that for fifty years buried him after the heavens punished him and Dr. Kochin for their selfish and inhumane intentions of their scientific endeavors. After the two scientists abduct Piccolo, Master Roshi, and Bulma, Goku sets out to rescue them and save himself from being used as a puppet controlled by Dr. Wheelo's only remains, his brain. This movie's plot is radically different from the usual demons-and-martial-arts affairs. It focuses on science fiction elements, which were actually developed later on into the TV series during the Cell era. The science-fiction story elements often causes the movie to drag inbetween the fight sequences, but the animation continues to be superb and surpasses that of the previous DBZ movie Return My Gohan! a.k.a. Dead Zone.

GRADE: 2.5 out of 5
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Pretty nice.
dieusani18 March 2002
Out of the three DBZ films I've seen--Dead Zone, The World's Strongest, and Tree of Might--The World's Strongest is the one I most enjoyed. The plot is decent enough: evil guy tries to take over the world, Goku and pals have to stop him...there's a little bit in there about Goku's rival/ally, Piccolo, getting mind controlled and having to fight Goku. This all leads up to some nice, fast-paced action with the least stalling ever featured in DBZ. ^_^ What's really great about the action in this film is that unlike most other DBZ stuff, it concentrates mostly on martial arts rather than the flying and massive blasts of power and charging up that is the center of the action on the TV show. The martial arts action is very well-animated, and the fights manage to be very dramatic for the most part. Now for the bad. Gohan...sings...a...song...in...honor...of...Piccolo. I will never get those few minutes of my life back. "Di di di, Pic-co-lo..."

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH! Sorry...having flashbacks. That is seriously one of the most screwed-up, insane songs in the world and I worry that the people who made that sequence were on some sort of mind-altering substance...there is no other explanation for its existance. Anyway, fast-forward past THAT insanity and this is a film you should enjoy.
A good flick.
Aaron137524 September 2001
This DBZ movie is very good. It is the only movie so far that I have seen where you get to see Master Roshi fight. Sure the fight doesn't last long, but he does good for a bit. This movie is about a crazy doctor who is now a brain in a jar. This guy wants the strongest person in the world so he can have his body. He hasn't been around lately so he mistakes Master Roshi for the strongest, but Bulma tells him that Goku is. Goku is on his way to rescue them and a bunch of cool fighting begins. Gohan, Krillin, and Picallo also are on hand for the fight.
2 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A must see for Dragon Ball Z fans
Op_Prime15 January 2001
This was an excellent movie. The animation is just great. The story seems pretty weak and it doesn't have the greatest dialogue in the world, but it's still pretty good. The fight scenes are terrific and more than make up for the story. This is a definite must see for all fans of the series.
3 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
This is not the best DBZ movie,its not the worst either.
Nips17 November 2000
This is not the best DBZ movie,its not the worst either.The animation in this movies is great,but the plot isnt.They also need to focus on other characters in the story instead of just Goku.I did like this movie,and I think that any person who likes DBZ should see this movie,some of the fight scenes are cool.(well to me anyway)
0 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Good Anime
Hal 9000-95 August 2000
It is without a doubt, the best in the trilogy of films. The DVD has kick-a** sound. The plot is pretty standard, world is threatend by an evil madman, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah. Anyway this film is much better than Dead Zone, and 100 times better than Tree of Might. All it needs now is 79 minutes of new footage. Grade: A
The best of the Dragon Ball Z movies so far
whamontree26 June 2000
From the opening frames of an icy wasteland, to the pounding drumbeat of the opening credits, to the simply awesome appearance of Dr. Wheelo, this movie is a standout amongst action animes. Most of the action takes place inside a huge fortress (which always offers limitless potential for coolness) before moving to the upper atmosphere for the climax. Almost everything here is perfectly realized and I'm guessing the animators were very pleased with the result of their hard work. Check it out, whether you're a DBZ fan or not, you won't be disappointed.
0 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A good way to begin a passion.
GasperSK24 May 2000
This is probably one of the best movies to help a newcomer to the series to get a handle on all that goes on. A BIT better then Dead Zone, but much better then Tree of Might. Though not in continuity of the series, it's still worth the watch. Highly recommended.
Awesome
culwin21 February 2000
Although it probably helps if you are already familiar with the characters and storyline of the Dragonball Z series, it is not a necessity. The animation of Dragonball Z has always focused on fighting, and this movie is no exception. If you've never seen this series and you're wondering what you're missing, this is a good place to start. I also recommend seeing "Dragonball Z: Dead Zone" if you get the chance. Both are must-sees for any die-hard fan.
3 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
out of the characters in the DBZ saga piccolo is the coolest
piccolo20 January 1999
This movie is the ultimate, super, coolest next to the tree of might. NO ONE can beat some of the animation in this movie. so in other words i'm saying Akira Toriama outdid himself on this movie.