IMDb > Dragon Ball Z: Broly - Second Coming (1994) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Doragon bôru Z: Kiken na Futari! Sûpâ senshi wa Nemurenai

Dragon Ball Z: Broly - Second Coming More at IMDbPro »Doragon bôru Z: Kiken na Futari! Sûpâ senshi wa Nemurenai (original title)

Broly is back!!!

Author: jake-law123 from United States
5 August 2010

The second installment to the Broly series reprises the second coming of the Legendary Super Saiyan. Its time to continue the fight for the start of the legendary super saiyan rebirth. This one includes a lot more humor, less intensity, but still keeps the DBZ feeling, and name.

Its been seven years since the fight with Broly, with Goku in the Otherworld, and Trunks, Goten, Gohan, and Videl on a search for the Dragon Balls. They encounter a village under attack by a monster, and soon learn who the monster is. Broly becomes resurrected, and takes on all four on his own.

Although short, this film is quite epic, as well as funny. It is rather ridiculous at times though, like when Trunks pees on Broly's face. Its mostly just child play humor with Goten and Trunks, but when Gohan enters the battle, it gets really intense. Has awesome music, just like the first one, and gives us exactly what we expected. The Legendary super saiyan fighting against Gohan, for the fate of the universe. The way he's defeated is pretty decent, and the fighting scenes make the movie seem longer.

In conclusion, its well made and continues the Broly series on a high note!

Poor humor, a shallow story and a boring fight.

Author: Fake Name from Inthemiddleof, Nowhere
14 June 2005

WARNING! THIS COMMENT CONTAINS MANY SPOILERS. In my opinion the movie is simply awful compared to the last movie where Broly appeared in. I am a hardcore Dragonball Z fan, but this movie was boring to me. The storyline was(to me at least)in no way interesting and Broly seemed to be a horrible amount weaker and not very ferocious compared to the 8th movie so the fights were not very exciting. When a Dragonball Z fan knows that The Legendary Super Saiya-jin (who Broly just happens to be)is appearing in a movie he/she will probably be expecting to see a good fight. Not Broly chasing after a couple of kids for half the movie, only to be defeated (while he was in his FULLY powered up form) by only 3 FIRST level super saiya-jins combined powers. What happened to the Broly that could effortlessly destroy a planet? I find it hard to believe that this is the same guy who was pulverizing the south galaxy. But a bad comment or two won't stop a real fan from watching this movie. I truly hope that you like it more than I did.

Someone woke up on the wrong side of the bed!

Author: smetin from United Kingdom
17 June 2017

I loved the first Broly film. It had everything I love from Dragon Ball - a funny premise, ki-blasts aplenty and a great villain. I love the way the creators of this show have so much fun. I mean, the idea that a Super Saiyan of astronomic proportions is so angry is because Goku kept crying as a baby? Proper tongue in cheek there!

The second movie picks up 7 years where the first left off. Despite his apparent destruction, Broly is indeed alive although he is 'inactive'. It is only when Goten's loud cry (bearing resemblance to Goku's crying as a baby) rings through the ice do we see Broly wake up. Boy oh boy was he angry! Without the controlling headband, Broly is unleashed from the start and unlike many Dragon Ball movies, the action starts very early on into the movie. I felt this was somewhat rushed. Perhaps we could have had a bigger build-up. A further glimpse into the back story of Broly would have been great too. I just felt something was missing here that the creators failed to capitalise on.

The action sequences that ensued Broly's reactivation were very different from the first movie. Unlike the serious nature of battle captured in the first movie, the involvement of Goten and kid Trunks adds an element of humour here that I felt was great fun. Others may feel that Broly is one the villains in the Dragon Ball series who had so much potential, but was given a storyline that failed to meet it. To me, I loved the fact that the creators matched one of the strongest fighters in the universe with such a comedic storyline. It was a tale of polar opposites! The only thing I wanted to see was more of a fight from the younglings before teen Gohan came into the picture.

When the story came to an end it felt a bit anticlimactic. The story was just so basic that I thought there would have been more to come after the battle scenes. Perhaps the creators could have involved a further sub-plot of Saiyans who tracked Broly's reactivation and they could have also come to fight. Anything would have been welcomed here, but I suppose when you only have 50 minutes to play with there is only so much you can do.

If you liked the first Broly movie, you will enjoy this. It is very different from the first, but it is still enjoyable. However, don't expect a deep story because this is as basic as fisticuffs in Fight Club.

Broly stares menacingly while everyone does whatever they want, unlike how in the previous movie he was a brutal killing machine of unbridled insanity.

Author: Adamakw1 .
26 August 2015

Felt like it was phoned in. The worst of all the DBZ movies I've seen. Broly wasn't even anything like the Broly from the first movie, he was basically neutered. He was brutal in the first movie, death incarnate. But in this one he just kind of floated around waiting for everyone to do whatever they wanted. They could have thrown a party in the middle of the fight and he just would have floated in the background staring menacingly until they decided it was time to fight him again. Gohan and Trunks didn't even seem to recognize him; no look of fear or even mentioning that they believed he died. It seemed like they made this just because they could, not because they had a good or thought out idea for a movie. Terrible and disappointing.

A weaker sequel, but still fun

Author: MovieLord23 from San Antonio
28 April 2015

The first Broly film is fantastic. This sequel has flaws, but it still delivers on the action and entertainment.

Good: I like that Gohan is the main character here instead of Goku. Goten and Trunks provide some light-hearted laughs and it is good to see Videl step it up. The fight scenes are good also. The ending scene is great that hearkens back to a classic DBZ moment also involving Gohan.

Bad: Broly is not as intimidating here as he was in the last movie. He mostly just speaks one word (Kakarot) and doesn't strike as much fear here. The comedy does get childish as well with some pee jokes that weren't funny. I also thought the whole subplot with the village was unnecessary.

Overall, it lacked the suspense and intensity of the original, but it still delivered some worthy entertainment for fans of the series.

Broly's Back...

Author: gigan-92 from United States
19 April 2010

Oh Jesus, the Legendary Super Saiyan is back, and stronger than ever. Apparently at the end of the first film Broly's body wasn't completely destroyed; although that appears to be what we clearly saw. Whatever...

Any who, Broly has returned and has now arrived on Earth. Once he is freed (due to Goten's crying), he displays an even higher power than last time. This probably due to the fact that when a saiyan recovers from a near death injury they gain a tremendous power-up. Goku's fist tearing through his stomach likely fitted into that category. Amazingly enough, he appears to have power that is now beyond a super saiyan two's, seeing as Gohan could barely stand against him during their fight. To some disappointment, Broly has gone insane to some extent, his only dialogue other than "Kakarot" being "I will not stop until you lie dead at my feet." Other than that Broly is just as menacing as he was in the first film. But this film is far shorter and neither Piccolo nor Vegeta get a second chance at the Legendary Super Saiyan, what?!! Instead the story relies on Trunks, Videl and Goten to fuel the action. A more or less bad decision.

Less actual rock but an excellent ending leaves with me the decision to give this one an overall good review for the most part.

A bit of a disappointment

Author: Eric Stevenson from United States
9 May 2017

It was interesting to see Videl and actually play a fairly big role in one of these movies. Unfortunately, this movie made the mistake of being too short, which is what made the original so good. I also missed Piccolo, Future Trunks, and Vegeta. The end credits actually show stock footage from the first movie. Couldn't they even show stock footage from their own movie? Of course, this was by no means terrible. It helps that we have all the great action that the series is known for. It's just great to see Broly back.

There were so many Dragonball Z movies, I'm glad they had a recurring character as part of it. We really do get some nice bits with Goten and Trunks here too. Congratulations on them for their first movie appearances. Maybe that's why they were featured so much. Goku does in fact appear, but only for a few minutes at the end! I missed him for a lot of the movie, but it was pretty interesting to see some other characters take the spotlight for once and to see Goku and his two sons fight together. **1/2

Broly is back!

Author: John Doe from Unknown
3 September 2015

This is the 10th Dragon Ball Z movie, being released in Japan as 'Doragon Bōru Z Kiken na Futari! Sūpā Senshi wa Nemurenai' which means 'Dragon Ball Z: The Dangerous Duo! Super Warriors Never Rest', The FUNimation title is 'Broly: Second Coming' this is a very good movie where it is the second appearance of Broly in the film series. His body is in solid ice and Trunks and Goten awaken him. There are a lot of action sequences and Videl is in this film too.

FUNimation chose to yet again use hard rock music for the film, choosing the band I.O.N (instead of several music bands) but its still a good choice. The English script is well fitted to the original Japanese version. This film has comedy and action.

I give 'Dragon Ball Z: Broly: Second Coming' a 6/10.

Great Comedy... kinda lacking everything else.

Author: lucas-42 from Texas
10 December 2002

It's a funny movie with Trunks and Goten running around looking for the Dragon Balls just because Videl wants to see it. The movie seems kinda dull though. Not much of a storyline. Brolli is back, and unfortunately he doesn't really belong here. The storyline makes sense, but it's not really a great reason to bring Brolli back. He has no place here now. He is just a villian they needed to help get some jokes across. The fighting doesn't REALLY begin until Gohan shows up to save those two kids butts from big bad brolli. However, Brolli is still very very powerful. It takes a combined effort of THREE Kame Hame Ha's to defeat him. That's the best part of the movie. ..... there is a funny surprise in there too. Look for it. You'll know it when you see it. Can anyone say, Mr. Piccolo!

Not much to improve upon

Author: kakarott55 from Baton Rouge, LA
16 October 2001

***SPOILERS*** ***SPOILERS*** I've been a fan of DBZ for some time and I've developed my likes and dislikes like everyone else. I enjoy the fighting scenes and humor but sometimes the plot leaves something to be desired. One thing I can't stand sometimes is that the characters always use the dragonballs in the aftermath of a battle but never to help with the battle, but if they did then the fighting wouldn't be as good(oh well). This movie features my favorite villain, Brolly, and he is seriously tough as usual. I enjoy the humor that Trunks and Goten bring and seeing Gohan grown up is cool. If you are any kind of DBZ fan then check this out now. If you like any anime then I also recommend this movie. NOW FOR THOSE WHO HAVE SEEN THE MOVIE. SERIOUS PLOT SPOILER: It was kind of old stuff with Brolly, I admit, but damn he's cool. For some strange reason he couldn't think or say anything not about kakarot. If Brolly had to meet his end I'm glad the writers decided to use the dragonballs to beat him and not any specific character. It was a cool ending with the family all firing at the same time and throwing Brolly in to the sun. Whether or not Goku was really there, or he was an image to inspire Gohan and Goten is up to us to decide. I think Goku was and image that Shenron made and Shenron also weakened Brolly and that's why his blasts had no effect after Goku showed up. I think I might be dissecting it too much but that's what's fun about these types of endings in movies.