IMDb > Casper Meets Wendy (1998) (V) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Casper Meets Wendy (V) More at IMDbPro »

A Kids Movie

Author: bluzman from United States
14 February 2004

As I started to read the prior comment, I thought I had accidentally brought up comments on Titanic or Gladiator.

Actually, I found this mildly amusing, It didn't have that humor/storyline for everyone of a Shrek or Nemo, but that is okay. Not every Kid's Movie has to appeal to the whole family. Since this is a Kid's Movie, and I don't like to rate/inflict adult standards onto purely Kid's Movies outside of appropriateness -- message, if any; language and type of action, etc. The whole thing boils down to "How did the kids react to it?"

Well, the kids liked it a lot. And at the bottom line, when the day is done, that is what counts when you rent or take your kids to see a Kid's Movie. That being said, I am not interested in the complexity of plot lines, holes in story or academy award quality performances.

The kids say 7, and that is good enough for me.

What a surprise! Fun, fun, fun!

Author: gwshogi3 from United States
1 September 2005

I rented this for my four-year-old son from our local public library. As the third Casper film, and a direct-to-video release (the only advertising I remember was on cereal boxes), I wasn't expecting much from this little venture, but I was delightfully surprised. I actually sat and watched the whole thing, and the climax is quite suspenseful. A great cast, some witty writing, and fine performances by George Hamilton as the villainous arch-warlock Desmond Spellman (am I the only one who thinks this is a dig at Aaron Spelling?), Richard Moll, Vincent Schiavelli—and the three adult witches, Shelly Duval, Teri Garr and Cathy Moriarty. The CGI ghosts are well done.

But the biggest surprise of all is Hilary Duff's sparkling performance as Wendy. Based on all the ditzy teen idol crap she did later-- rolling her eyes and huffing every thirty seconds as "Lizzy McGuire" and singing those plastic pop tunes--I expected her to just float around on her broom and look cute. But this is the best acting I've ever seen her do. I can hardly believe it's the same person. She's a delightful little bundle of energy, delivers her lines intelligently, and really works her little duff off (sorry, couldn't resist that). It's a shame her career took such an airhead direction. This video shows she was capable of better things, but she's already being forgotten.

One caution: The ending, with the swirling "Mystic Abyss", when it seems like Wendy might actually be a gonner, as well as the "possession" scenes might be a little too much for some preschoolers.

A Fun, Wonderful Family Film!!!

Author: Snapper from Indianaplis, Indiana
10 August 2004

Hilary Duff AAA+++ & George Hamilton AA++

I must say that this is one of the sweetest, cutest films ever made. Hilary Duff is beautiful and her lead role as Wendy the Good Little Witch is pulled up with the alluring spunk and childish impishness that carries this delightful tale of Good over Evil.

And to be sure, George Hamilton as Desmond Spellman the evil Wizard/Male Witch is a perfect choice for the role of the heavey...along with his trademark "Is my hair OK?" self-indulgence and his magical way of being a really bad guy while still being fun. Hamilton is a real meanie, but in a light enough way that the whole family can watch without fear of foul words being uttered from his mouth, or some vulgar ethnic South Central L.A. ghetto gestures that are too overused today in too many movies today. Hamilton brings a classy elegance to the role of a villain we can hate, but like at the same time.

Wendy's aunts and the Casper's 'uncles' are played beyond perfection by each gifted actor/actress in those roles. They are hilariously funny, outlandish and perfect imitations of what the comic books and prior movies have led us to know them to be, all these years. Not remarkably it was like watching my favorite paperback episode come to life. You loved them all, but you really enjoyed it most when Wendy and Casper would achieve the upper hand.

Wendy/Hilary was tremendously successful in her part and viewing the Wendy Meets Casper was an experience akin to love at first sight. Love for the the prettiness of Hilary Duff, love for the sweetness we have learned to expect in both Wendy the Good Little Witch and Casper the Friendly Ghost, and love of a good time where the whole family can laugh at the magnificent special effects and the gaiety in the movie from beginning all the way to its happy conclusion.

On a scale of 1 to 10, Wendy Meets Casper can only be given a full 10!

10 points for Hilary Duff as the perfectly enchanting Wendy. 10 points for all the fab actors and actresses playing the co-lead and support roles 10 points for the storyline...a truly magical event 10 points for the special effects 10 points for Wendy in her dancing dress...*blushes

All in all, a must see for every family.

A Kids based film...

Author: Viddy24 from ...
20 December 2004

I recently got this film on DVD. Hilary Duff is SO adorable. She defanatly stole the movie with her adorable charm. The movie is defanatly a kid based film. Older than 13... probably not going to enjoy it. The acting, GREAT. The plot was cute and had a great meaning. The movie was cute but not the best movie ever. many bits were boring but others were high energised!

***SPOILER*** The movie of course has to include flying and stuff. This films graphics were not good. Yes, it was made in 1998 but the graphics will turn you off. I would give the graphics about two out of ten!

Overall, I think the movie was sort of disappointing but yet it was cute! If you are over 13 years old, I would say, do not watch this film because it is based for children. 6/10

A Fun, Wonderful Family Film!!! I LOVED it!

Author: Snapper from Indianaplis, Indiana
10 August 2004

Hilary Duff AAA+++ & George Hamilton AA++

I must say that this is one of the sweetest, cutest films ever made.

Hilary Duff is arguably the most beautiful young girl ever to star in a Hollywood movie...on par with Brooke Shields in Pretty Baby... and her lead role as Wendy the Good Little Witch is brightened up with the alluring spunk and childish impishness that thematically imbues this delightful comic book tale with Good over Evil.

As an aside, Hilary's youthful voice with that cute-as-pie chipmunk quality ensures that she is not another one of Hollywood's too-old adolescents trying to play the part of a child. Hilary was the PERFECT choice to play Wendy. She was breathtaking in her winsome appeal before the camera and in her interpretation of the comic book Wendy as I've come to know of her over the years.

And to be sure, George Hamilton as Desmond Spellman the evil Warlock is a perfect choice for the role of the heavy...along with his trademark "Is my hair OK?" self-indulgence and his magical way of being a really bad guy while still being fun. Hamilton is a real meanie, but in a light enough way that the whole family can watch without fear of foul words being uttered from his mouth, or some vulgar ethnic South Central L.A. ghetto gestures that are too overused today in too many movies today. Hamilton brings a classy elegance to the role of a villain we can hate, but like at the same time.

One can read other reviews where ''hate' and 'vitriol' seem to be the main focus of the reviewer's diatribes. But I think it is clear that this movie is much more magical to a younger child or to an adult who appreciates sweet things. This is sugar on candy and there is no use pretending it was meant to be more.

Anyone reading the scathing ululations of some of the other critics, please keep in mind that for the most part those critiques appear to be worse than the movie they imagine they viewed.

Casper Meets Wendy was meant as clean, dear family viewing, where the younger children and their loving parents are the targets of the director's audience...no one else. And in this sense, Casper Meets Wendy succeeded spectacularly well. My family adored it and my children, boys and girls, ask to see it over and over again.

Hilary Duff was tremendously successful in her role as Wendy and when we first viewed Casper Meets Wendy it was an experience akin to love at first sight. Love for the gentleness and caring that comes from within Hilary's young heart...appreciation for the prettiness of Hilary Duff...and warm and cuddly feelings for the sweetness we have learned to expect in both Wendy the Good Little Witch and Casper the Friendly Ghost.

This is a movie where the whole family can laugh at the wonderful special effects and the gaiety in the movie from the beginning all the way to its happy conclusion.

On a scale of 1 to 10, Wendy Meets Casper can only be given a full 10!

10 points for Hilary Duff as the perfectly enchanting Wendy.

10 points for Wendy in her dancing dress...*blushes

All in all, a must see for every family.

Old-fashioned slapstick comedy for young children

Author: coyets from Hamburg, Germany
1 November 2006

The main reason I decided to see 'Casper meets Wendy' was the fact that it was the first one that Hilary Duff acted in apart from being an uncredited extra in 'True Women'.

The leading male character is Casper, an animated child ghost, and the leading female character is Wendy, a girl witch, played by the then inexperienced Hilary Duff. Although the plot, which is kept simple so that the target viewers, young children, have no difficulties in following it, is about the forbidden friendship between Casper and Wendy, in a way a prepubertal 'Romeo and Juliet', the main vehicles for humour are the adult witches and ghosts, the latter contributing many of the slapstick elements.

Adults watching this film, who may well be the parents of the members of the target group, may well find some amusement in the deadpan reactions of most of the adults who take no part in the storyline, but witness some of the extraordinary behaviour of the witches and ghosts. Many adults even enjoy some slapstick humour, and may well find it rewarding to see the more riotous scenes, particularly in the company of some members of the target group. The sartorially-minded will quite probably enjoy the frequent and extreme changes of clothing by the one child and three adult witches. Finally, it is quite interesting to see the main message of 'Romeo and Juliet', 'West Side Story', 'The Color of Friendship' and many other works of art, that it is wrong to stand in the way of friendships simply because two people have different backgrounds, conveyed by a film made for such young viewers.

The casting was brilliant. All of the characters seemed perfectly suited to their role in the proceedings. As the star of the non-animated cast, Hilary Duff displayed a sufficient variety of emotions to keep the viewer involved in the uncomplicated story, while avoiding extremities which could have extended the film into something too dramatic for very young children. It would be unfair, however, to compare her performance with that of the then inexperienced Reese Witherspoon in 'The Man in the Moon', which is of necessity a far more mature and rounded portrayal of the leading character, since it is a very moving and dramatic story. Apart from that, Reese Witherspoon was a few years older when she played the role of Dani Trant.

Personally, I got rather bored by so many slapstick scenes in 'Casper meets Wendy', but I have seen many films that are a lot worse.

Cute kids movie marking the debut of Hilary Duff

Author: leanne82nw from Perth, Australia
5 January 2004

This is by no means a great movie at all, the special effects are pretty dodgy and the story quite weird also. The main reason why this would be of interest to viewers is that it marks the film debut of Hilary Duff, who is 11 years old in this film. This movie was one of her first ever jobs and she does a good job, given the material she is working with. Her voice is a lot higher pitched than it is on Lizzie. A standout scene would be Wendy and Casper dancing under a gazebo.

"Meet"-cute...

Author: Mister-6 from United States
9 February 2000

The "Casper" franchise is alive and well and here's the film that proves it.

In "Casper Meets Wendy", Casper and his uncles are back to their old tricks and, deciding to take a vacation, accidentally run into some witches at the same vacation resort. What begins from there is a kind of "Romeo and Juliet" friendship.

Wendy (Duff) and her witch aunts (Moriarty, Duvall, Garr) are hiding from an evil warlock (Hamilton, a well-aged ham) who wants to do away with Wendy, the only one who could challenge his great powers. But in meeting Casper, she ignores her aunts' warnings about not trusting ghosts, as does Casper about his uncles' anti-witch beliefs.

There are even more family-friendly laughs in this film than the first two, especially at the resort dance where the Ghostly Trio possess three guys and hook up with Wendy's aunts. That's a scream. And so is the running gag about Hamilton's henchmen (Moll and Schiavelli) looking and acting like the "Pulp Fiction" hitmen ("You know what they call French toast in France?" "Toast?").

I can see this series of movies growing at a constant rate, especially now that they've finally hit on the right tone for the material; one that kids, ghosts and witches alike can appreciate.

Nine stars for "Casper Meets Wendy". Casper, you're the ghost with the most.

Cack

Author: mutty-mcflea from Lincolnshire, UK
13 June 2014

The third film in the 'Casper' series is a boring mixture of poor CGI, inane dialogue and pitiful jokes. It's full of actors who deserve better than this slop.

This time around Casper and his mean uncles take a vacation at a holiday resort where witches Teri Garr, Shelley Duvall (why, ladies, why?) and their niece Hilary Duff are also staying, leading to many naff visual effects and a story that ping pongs all over the place as warlock George Hamilton tries to get his hands on zzzzzzz.

Worse than 'A Spirited Beginning', this is a half-assed movie full of cut-price visual effects and tacky gags that hits bottom with (another) turn from Pauly Shore, of all people. A minimum of effort in just about every department ensures that this cheapo cash-in dies a horrible death, much like its title character must have done at some point.

A breath taking adventure!

Author: jacob herbst from United States
8 December 2012

I love this movie, it's perfectly paced,acted and all around fun! It's easily the best movie ever and it should have won at least 100 Oscars. If not more. It's appropriate for anyone and everyone. I highly recommend this astonishing picture. It's a perfect 100/10! Compared to Godfather it doesn't even come close! The only problem is that there is no sequel. It needs to have a follow up. People across the glob have long waited a second film. Let us see number 2! and then MORE! The final thing I must say is the CGI is way better then E.T., Close encounters of a third kind, and star wars have really bad special effects. So then go check it out. I AM Using 100% SARCASUM!