IMDb > "The Panel" (1998) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

"The Panel" More at IMDbPro »

Funny, funny people.

Author: leo1 (leo.oshaughnessy@gmail.com) from Dublin, Ireland
23 May 2001

Unfortunately I cant get this back in Ireland and I so wish I could because it is consistently hilarious. A panel of comedians, and the Cream of Australian talent Rob Sitch, Tom Gleisner and Santo Cilauro, sit around and discuss the weekly news and media. These guys are responsible for the aussie movies The Castle, a masterpiece in human observation and honest humour, and the Dish a bigger budget heartwarming comedy about a rural community in Australia during the Apollo 11 moon landings in 1969.

These are talented, talented people.

Mindless Drivel

Author: Muldwych from South Korea
1 January 2006

Back in the 90's, Rob Sitch, Tom Gleisner, and Santo Cilauro were my heroes. I LOVED (and still love) The Late Show, a program that showcased the talent of these men. They were quick-witted, hilarious, versatile, and they put together a show that you wanted to talk about and quote endlessly, the trademark of many a good piece of visual entertainment. They followed it up with the superb Frontline, and several great movies including The Castle. Somehow they decided it would then be time to spend the better part of a decade sitting at a desk, interviewing vacuous celebrities, spouting the government's 'safe' and convervative viewpoints, and passing off infotainment-style humour so bad they make Bert Newton look like Bill Hicks. What the hell happened? Is this supposed to be the crowning glory that sits on top of all their earlier brilliance? It's so desperately lame that it doesn't surprise me it's lasted this long. Any show that's so bland and inoffensive that a gay-hating bishop would give it the thumbs up is always guaranteed prime-time immortality.

I moved overseas a few years ago, but managed to catch the 2005 Christmas Special, out of curiosity. Good lord, can this show sink any lower? They were actually hawking products and advertising sales under the guise of comedy 'ads'. For charity. What charity is this? A charity for all the mentally-slow viewers who can't see the shows they watch have actually become advertisements themselves? Folks, if you want charity, tell them to donate half their weekly earnings to any cause you care to name. Then we'll see how serious they are about promoting their favourite corporations. Either that or donate said money to get Australian comedians on TV who haven't completely sold out to the point of blinding embarrassment.

Maybe the title of this show should be called "We Need New Yachts", because I cannot possibly think of another reason why these former talents make this crap. Either that or call it "We're Rich, Who Cares?"

Must-See TV

Author: JJFabbsy from Melbourne, Australia
13 June 1999

This is a show I make sure I never miss.

You could call it Australia's own "water-cooler" show. The discussions are (most of the time) lively, depending on who's on The Panel and the one-liners steal the show.

Simple concept, great viewing.

the panel is what TV needs

Author: singlewhitematt from Canada
31 October 2006

I lived in Australia for 3 years, and the Panel was mandatory weekly viewing. I think it is just what TV needs, some spontaneity, humour, live music, and they put everyone that comes on the show at ease. Big TV and movie personalities come on the show and are totally relaxed, so you can see what they are like. I remember many cool moments from the Panel - Harry Shearer doing all of his Simpsons voices, Chris Isaak live, too many to recount. Any big American star that was in Australia would stop by and the hosts of the show would test them (like any good Australian would) to see if they have a sense of humour! Lots of levity, good guests, live music, and Quarters with the weekly sports - what more could a TV show deliver - The Panel rules!

Not bad a show.

Author: archie_boy (returnfrom86@yahoo.com) from Australia
29 September 2004

I like The Panel, its an entertaining way to catch up on whats happening around and about, its one of my fave Australian TV shows along with roy and hg. Also I read they don't just accept any guests on the show, they want guests that are interesting to them so they can keep the ball rolling with the talking so it doesn't feel like just another boring TV interview. And that theory seems to work because the interviews with the guests/celebrities come across as casual as if they're just chatting around a coffee table. My only negative view on the show is the musical acts how they get shoved away back behind the desk, you can hardly see them! But all in all its a cool show.

Vaild*

Author: Kerry R (kern86r@hotmail.com) from Wollongong, Australia
2 August 2002

This show has to be one of the most simple shows on television yet it is also one of the best chat shows (along with the abc's glass house)on Aussie TV that i have seen. The whole show is fantastic in my opinion except for when Steven Quartermain talks about sports, don't get me wrong, I like to hear about sports, I just don't like this guy's opinions on sports, he seems like he doesn't know all that much about them, I rather see someone like the guy who presents sports tonight or Tony Squires(from the Fat). Away from that though, the people on the panel are very wity, they will say there own points of view things and they will talk with people like scientists or politions ect. They've talked about(and to)the refugees when most other shows will runaway from topics like this. I would also like to add that this show, although on a commercial station, is more like something you'll see on the ABC(it's very laid back,etc)

*this is what one of the guys on the panel said in hope to make it the next catch phase however it didn't really catch on, although it did get on a McDonalds's ad.

One of the funniest, most clever "Talk" shows in history

Author: Liam from Australia
25 September 1998

On Wednesday night, a lot of people tune in for this little beauty of a show. A bunch of people sitting around a desk talking about the weeks news around them - No big deal, but the people on this show make it worth it. Witty comments fly, jokes get thrown from end of the desk to another... so on. Probably the most intellectually interesting shows on Australian TV.

The only essential viewing of the week

Author: Nick O from Melbourne, Victoria
21 July 1999

'The Panel' is, in my opinion, by far the best show on Australian television. Its ability to consistently attract interesting guests and hilarious and intelligent panel members make it a funny and informative experience. It deals with everything from politics to sport and even sometimes wrestling (Santo's favourite), and presents them in a fresh, exciting way. This show once again proves that Working Dog are the most creative team in Australian Television/Film.

Daryl Sommers hates it - naturally it rocks.

Author: shaggy-21
25 June 1999

Once a cult show, now a mainstream hit, the Panel rocks Australia every Wednesday night with the latest in entertainment, sport, current affairs and mugs. With it's winning blend of comedic value and great guests, it's a must-see, must-tape, round-the-water-cooler-the-next-day show. Anyone who saw the first time Dr Cindy Pang went on will have been won over forever, and who will ever forget "David van der Beek".

I Love It!

Author: Riki Jewell from Adelaide, Australia
8 May 1999

This show is one of the most original shows on the Television. I would highly recommend it to any one who can receive it in Australia.

Well Done to the Working Dog team for another fine peace of work following such greats as Frontline & Funky Squad!!