IMDb > "Mighty Max" (1993) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

"Mighty Max" More at IMDbPro »

Too young for Ninja Turtles, Too old for Yu-gi-oh. THIS. IS. MINE.

Author: radloffr from United States
7 November 2007

The title of my summary pretty much covers my review.

This is to me what Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles was to someone 5 years older. While I missed out on that little pop-culture wave, I embraced the toy line and t.v. series that was Mighty Max with both arms.

You wanna know how into this I was? I went as Mighty Max for Halloween.

Thank God for the internet. Thanks to Demonoid, last week I was able to watch this great show from my childhood for the first time in over a decade.

I'm watching this right now, having just been blown away by recognizing Rob Paulson of Animaniacs, and am also loving the celebrity humor in "Tar Wars". 4 minutes in, and they have already mentioned, By NAME: Clint Eastwood, Governor Arnold, Dustin Hoffman, John Wayne, AND Ace Ventura. Hells yeah.

Damn, it is only upon writing this that I realize there is NO WAY IN HELL I can give this series anything less than a perfect score. Any imperfections have been lost in the fog of time.

This Is My Childhood. This Is Awesomeness. This Is The Mighty One.

I Miss The Max

Author: Ginger87 from New York City
22 August 2004

I remember watching "Mighty Max" a few years ago on UPN weekday mornings before I went to school. I really enjoyed "Mighty Max" and was upset after UPN canceled it. One thing that attracted me to this show was the animation which I really liked. I also thought Max was cute for a cartoon character. I also liked the idea of a talking owl. That was cool. Max's friend Bea was cool, too.

My favorite "Mighty Max" episode is "A Bellwether in One's Cap", the first episode that started it all. I really enjoyed this episode and didn't want it to end. I also liked the episode "Max vs. Max".

I miss this show and hope I see it again one day. I give this show 9/10 stars.

One of the most underrated animated series on television

Author: Brad L. Wooldridge (HulkSmash@windstream.net) from Barry, Texas USA
17 May 1999

Mighty Max, based primarily upon a micro-sized toy line, was a terrific animated series which died prematurely but will always be remembered. Max, a young pre-teen, is the "Cap Bearer", a mystical warrior who is transported all over the world in order to combat evil in many forms. Along for the ride is Virgil, a Lemurian and a sentient owl, and Norman, a Nordic warrior, voiced excellently by Richard Moll. This series was well-animated and acted, and presented good storylines and memorable villains including Skullmaster, maliciously voiced by Tim Curry. The series ender was very peculiarly made, in that it ends with Max and his comrades beginning their adventures all over again, making the show seem seamless, but nonetheless sad. I was privileged to view Mighty Max on a Canadian satellite wild-feed, and taped much of the series, but true fans should petition channels such as Cartoon Network to present Mighty Max to its fans and potential viewers.

An underrated and now obscure vision of unique value and quality...

Author: (SciBry) from Rochester, NY
29 October 2000

'Mighty Max' was a surprisingly well-made and, though based on a quaintly narrow concept, very well written and animated journey. Max, the young 'Cap Bearer' is accidently and unwantedly bestowed with the age-old responsibilities of protecting Earth from the diabolical Skullmaster and his army of minions who try desperately to emerge from the planet's depths [The Skullmaster yearns for the cap so he can gain ultimate control and mobility] while the boy just wants to maintain a normal life. Supporting characters like the ancient, wise [yet retrospectively out-of-date], owl, Virgil and sworn bodyguard, Norman, give Max's naive quest against the Skullmaster both a chance and comedic action as each episode begins with a multitude of interesting ways for summoning Max to his current mission [i.e. Virigil slipping the message into nearby objects and such - unexpectedly interrupting his fun times. I recommend, though I have yet to find it in local syndication, that if this well-done program becomes available again, to give it an unobjective chance and stick around for the finale which makes the whole program complete in a spectacular finish. It's not just another 'kid's show,' but rather another classic example of good sci-fi production subjected to stereotypical myths.

Bad animation, wedded to unique, quality writing

Author: Judexdot1 (judexdot1@yahoo.com) from Minneapolis MN USA
20 March 2004

I discovered this as an adult, but, amongst the wasteland of cheesy toy commercials, it shone like a supernova. It was the usual limited animation, but there were was actual intelligence on display in the writing. (Quality writing appears to be less expensive than quality animation, in regards to this show, and many others. Too bad there isn't more of it around.) I really fell in love with it, when an episode showed up, that incorporated aspects of the Cthulhu mythos, only the 2nd cartoon I've ever seen do so. (the other was "The Real Ghostbusters", where Peter Venkman and crew, faced off against Cthulhu itself!). I always appreciate Lovecraft overtones, but this had so much more, even touching on the Arthurian mythology. A good blend of ideas and action. Put my vote in for a revival on "Cartoon Network", "Boomerang", or anybody that could show it. We Want Max!

--Judex.1--

I loved it.

Author: willywants
7 December 2003

When I was younger, maybe 9 or 10, I can remember getting up early Saturday morning to watch MIGHTY MAX. It was a really great show. It had some cool monsters in it (Two-headed dragons, aliens, giant crabs, zombies, fish creatures....monster galore!), appealing if not high-tech animation, swift paces and good twists. I so miss you, mighty max. Perhaps some day Mighty Max will be shown on cartoon network, until then.........WE MISS YOU, MAX!!!!!

Mighty Max is one of the funniest cartoons

Author: joecho5 from Los Angeles, United States
18 July 2006

All the characters in this cartoon were hilarious. Norman the Viking guardian had some memorable phrases and the skull master, the bad guy, would always be vowing to kill Max with some insane cackling. The writing is the best.

I was glued to the set when this would come on when I was younger. If they came out with a DVD of all the episodes they made I would be forced to buy it. This and a Conan the Barbarian cartoon are the ones I miss the most from childhood. I think these cartoons are the most unappreciated out of all the great cartoons. I used to watch these cartoons on channel 13 in the Los Angeles Area.

I remember the owl was always afraid, warning Max that he was in trouble and that he was the chosen one. Max didn't believe that he was the chosen one and always gave the owl trouble. Norman was less talkative but his simplicity was funny. He would say things like "I eat monsters for breakfast" when he was battling them. And then when he was battling zombies he would say "I eat zombies for...nevermind." Classic cartoon comedy and action.

I vote that they re-air Mighty Max.

Wonderful and very underrated show

Author: TheLittleSongbird from United Kingdom
17 September 2011

Even as a 19 year old I love animation. I grew up on it and apart from some bad ones have been impressed by those with beautiful animation, great memorable music, writing that amuses and touches you, likable characters and stories that thrill you. I have had several favourites over the years, but there were also some I shamefully forgot. Mighty Max was one such show.

Thank goodness for YouTube, who are so good usually with finding or re-discovering new gems. Mighty Max is a wonderful and very underrated show that is quite unique and kept me thrilled right until the end. As for the ending of the show, I have seen some controversy. I personally loved it not just for its dark tone but also how truly thrilling it was.

The animation does have some limited spots with some episodes lacking fluidity in the backgrounds or with the odd static movement, but I always noticed some impressive visuals in the action, the characters in general look great especially Skullmaster and there are some lively, ethereal colours.

I love the music too. The opening for Mighty Max sets the tone for each episode wonderfully, and the incidental music never feels out of place. The writing is one of the strongest assets of Mighty Max, it is funny, scary, moving, thoughtful and what's more quite educational too. Top hats also for some very well-thought out and engaging story lines.

The characters are delightful. Max is not bland or obnoxious, he has real steel and is very brave such as when he says "I'll die trying!", something I don't hear many animated kids saying now. Virgil is noble and wise, Norman makes me smile with his understated simplicity and Skullmaster is a terrific villain, smooth yet very malevolent.

Other than the writing and characters, I also have to highly praise the voice acting. Rob Paulsen is wonderful as Max, and never feels like he's overdoing it. Tony Jay matches him in every way as Virgil, while Tim Curry's menacing and distinctive intonation as Skullmaster is pitch perfect.

All in all, a wonderful show. 10/10 Bethany Cox

A surprisingly great cartoon in the same league as Batman:TAS and its ilk

Author: Professor Chaos from Canada
7 May 2006

A surprisingly great cartoon in the same league as Batman:TAS and its ilk, I enjoyed it in my youth and recently had been able to watch them all again, great voice acting from Tim Curry, Richard Moll, Tony Jay, and Maurice LaMarche in various roles. The only qualm I had was Rob Paulsons voice seemed a little too old for the title character, but that wasn't a big deal as the stories were great, and the fact that the whole thing has a great time loop twist ending. Some people say it was a cop-out, but I found it refreshing compared to many series that just leave things hanging. Hopefully one day they put this series out on DVD, unfortunately it came out at a time when DVD's weren't yet prevalent and the cartoon probably only served to sell a particular type of toy, which I never found appealing despite the entertaining cartoon.

Excellent

Author: Op_Prime from Ardmore, PA
2 August 2000

This show was not one of those not funny and lame shows, Mighty Max did not have the best animation, but the writing was excellent. Far above that of most children shows. It was great from start to finish. I really like the series finale, taking the show back to the beginning.