IMDb > The Insider (1999) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Insider

The Insider More at IMDbPro »

Page 17 of 53: [Prev][12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [22] [23] [24] [25] [26] [27] [Next]

A cinematic masterpiece

Author: †HÈ Ñ宮‡Ør from Sydney, Australia
9 December 2000

I watched The Insider last night on video for the second time. I have to say that it is one of the best movies I have ever seen, nearly flawless, with Mann's superb direction, frenetic camerawork, brilliant music score, and a phenomenal performance from Crowe as the whistleblower of a tobacco company, defining him as a promising future star. He is always convincing and a joy to watch. Al Pacino is in his typical fiery form as a 60 minutes producer, and it all combines to make this exceptional masterpiece, a great work of genius. 10/10.

An extraordinary film.

Author: juancduran54 from surrey, england
8 December 2000

"The Insider" is a masterpiece.I only saw it because Al Pacino was in it;the theme really wasn't very interesting for me(I though that was the usual "political-correct" film against tobacco),but then came the big (big!) surprise;I found myself seeing an incredible good film.It has wonderful performances by(of course)Al Pacino ,Russel Crow,Christopher Plummer and Diane Venora.It's one of that strange cases when the theme of the film isn't very interesting , but the film is so well made that you enjoy it like if it would have the most interesting theme possible.Michael Mann shows that is one of the best directors;making an absolutely absorbing film ,starting with a non much interesting theme ;it has nearly hypnotic moments (the most of them when Al Pacino and Russel Crow are having a phone conversation).It's so absorbing that the 2 hours and a half of it seems like lees than 1 hour.I can't say what's the best thing the film has,why?;because it's all;the performances, the dialogues,the locations (with incredible shadows and lights in everyone),the direction,etc.So, if you want to see one of the best films (if not the best )of 1999,see this masterpiece.

Gritty, intense and full of nervous tension and suspense.

Author: moviebuf-31 from Independence, Kansas
24 November 2000

"The Insider" is an intense, almost painful, movie to watch, due to the angst, fear and personal turmoil imparted by actor Russell Crowe. Crowe is a master of his craft, and succeeds in making us feel at least a little of the agony Jeffrey Wigand must have felt during his whistleblower ordeal, although I am sure there are few who could truly understand what he went through. If you can stand movies that are thought-provoking, tension-building, and mysterious rather than action oriented, this movie is worth watching. Al Pacino is better in this film than he has been in a long time. This is the true Pacino, for admirers of his work. He does not overplay this role, yet succeeds in letting us see passion and loyalty. Even though this movie is not billed as a thriller, it has the same intensity and nervous tension, and keeps you on the edge, as if you are constantly waiting for the bogeyman to jump out of the screen and grab you. Sad that it is based on a true story.

Wrong Message, Right Movie

Author: lju3 from Austin, Texas
23 November 2000

The acting, directing, and writing in this film are superb. Russell Crowe and Christopher Plummer especially do noteworthy jobs. The story is also told very well, and it avoids getting too preachy, which many of today's PC anti-whatever movies do. One thing which proves this movie's quality is the fact that I totally disagree with its underlying message and still found it very good. Anyone who smokes does it at their own risk and shouldn't whine when their lungs turn black and they have to breathe through a hole in their throat. Apparently, the producers of this film don't think along the same lines. All in all, this is a great movie that you should rent whenever you have a chance.

We Can Be Heroes

Author: Steve-785 from London
21 November 2000

By far and away Michael Mann's best film, with outstanding performances by Crowe, Pacino and Plummer. A true story of tobacco industry exec turned whistle blower to the 60 mins TV program, but for me the real message of this film is that anybody can be a hero as long as we stick to what we believe in.

Brilliantly filmed and acted

Author: Anders Åslund (anders.aslund@xpress.se) from Karlstad, Sweden
13 November 2000

This film was breathtaking. Michael Mann is responsible for my favorite movie of all time, "Heat", and there are some similarities in the "poetic visual language" that he has mastered fully.

The performances are amazing, both Crowe and Pacino are immersed in their characters and make them so real and alive that one hardly thinks of them as actors in a movie.

But what really makes this film excellent is the filming. It is beautiful, alive and vibrant. The images convey the sadness, fear, frustration and anger that the leads are experiencing. Fantastic. I can't wait for Mann's next masterpiece.

By the way, the music one hears when Wigand discovers the agents in and around the house (that later reveals themselves as his bodyguards), and rushes towards his house is music from "Heat". In that movie, it is played when Shiherlis (Kilmer) drives away from his wife, presumably forever.

make it 60 minutes shorter

Author: hans beijer (sylans@worldonline.nl) from Leiden Netherlands
12 November 2000

A nice film but way to long. It runs for 150 minutes or more. Cut sixty minutes out of the film and you have a strong story based in reality with very actual problems. Make more clear that everybody has a secret agenda and that there are only a few people in this world who really go for their beliefs. Al Pacino was convincing as Lowell Bergman. The other actors were very one-dimensional despite the long playing time of this film.

Great Film, would have been a classic if half an hour shorter

Author: bobulus from Ireland
8 November 2000

The film is very good. It's been said before but its closest rival is all the president's men. The reason that president's is a classic is that it is more tightly edited. Half an hour of screen time isn't needed. If i were Mann I'd re-edit, minus at least 25 minutes, release it as a director's cut (against the general trend of such things to be longer) and it would be an almost flawless piece

Great acting, great film

Author: AKS-6 from Sweden
3 November 2000

I was supposed to see "The Insider" at the cinema six months or so ago. Of course, the day before I was to see it they took it down in my town. Just my luck. Luckily, I got a second chance now when it is out on video. Michael Mann's "Heat" is a great action film, this film is certainly nothing like it. Well, apart from the ‘great' thing, because "The Insider" is a great film. Of course, like most films it should have been made shorter, 2.5 hours is just too long. But good direction, an interesting script and great acting (read: Russell Crowe!!) makes up for the film's length. Great movie! (7/10)

In a word: amazing!

Author: wishkah7 from Brooklyn, NY. (Where I'm from originally.)
1 November 2000

This movie tells the true story of Lowell Burgman, a 60 Minutes producer who has his work cut out for him when he has interviews. He also interviewed Russell Crowe's character who happened to work for the tabacco industry and how their relationship grew into a media blitz. I won't reveal much.

I especially enjoyed Christopher Plummer's performance as Mike Wallace. Michael Mann did a brilliant job directing this movie about exposing the naked truth about the tabacco industry and so forth. Even though this movie was based on a true story, some parts were fictionalized. But it's still an excellent movie that's worth checking out.

What this movie boiled down to was exposing the truth can indeed be dangerous sometimes. If you're in the mood for a drama that's also based on actual events, this is the movie for you. :)