IMDb > The Thirteenth Floor (1999) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Thirteenth Floor

The Thirteenth Floor More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 31:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

I think therefore I am... A film that questions the believe that self choice means you are flesh and blood.

Author: skelk from Notts, UK
2 January 2005

A small simulation set in 1937 has been created. Our main character discovers that his recently murdered partner (the simulators creator) has been using the simulation before its release for human trial. He also discovers that a message has been left in the system for him to find. A message that promises to ultimately change everything.

I recommend this film to all those who enjoyed eXistenZ etc. Fans of David Lynch will not be disappointed either. If you are a great fan of Lynch, then you will see this as an easy to follow film that has some nice turns and twists without forcing you to pause and rewind or watch again.

The film manages to persuade you of the complex simulated world without spending too much of its budget on special effects, unlike the matrix, which ultimately destroyed itself by its overdone sequels. Great set of actors here too. Ones that deserve the job title "actor" and have many creditations to their name.

I am surprised that this little effort hasn't been more popular since it manages to get a complex story line and make it very easy to follow without becoming bogged down with the characters explaining each scene (ergo the matrix).

Overall, definitely one to watch and one to own.

Thoughtful Sci-Fi in the Vain of Gattaca

Author: stvartak from Little Rock, Arkansas
17 December 2001

The Thirteenth Floor is a thoughtful and engaging film that asks its audience to think about the difference between reality and virtual reality. The Matrix asks similar questions in an action format appealing to a wider audience, but the Thirteenth Floor exceeds the Matrix in two respects. First, it uses a thoughtful approach that establishes its characters as more than 2-D, comic-book type heroes and villains. Second, it builds longer and with more subtlety, so that the payoff comes much later.

And a delightful payoff it is. Imagine the Matrix with less action fluff, real human relationships, and a plot twist reminiscent of the Sixth Sense. Fans of thought-provoking science fiction in the vain of Gattaca will enjoy the Thirteenth Floor just as well.

Not bad.

Author: Rob Deschenes (kalibur@softhome.net) from Toronto, Ont. Canada
26 September 2001

Although the first half does not account for much, THE THIRTEENTH FLOOR is a surprisingly half-decent movie. The story is well put, the acting seems to fit. What seems to be another TWILIGHT ZONE knock-off is saved by an endless supply (maybe too many) of twists and turns. THIRTEENTH FLOOR is watchable!

A famous computer scientist is murdered in his own virtual simulation and his friends investigate. Particularly Douglas Hall, who is suspect #1 of the murder.

What starts out as questioning the use of virtual reality (Do virtual people have a soul?) becomes much more than that. Science never ends. The 'poor man's MATRIX' as it was called in 1999 is a good, involving story that may be confronted in the future. Some boring moments aside, THE THIRTEENTH FLOOR is a welcome addition for science fiction.

A retro Gem

Author: vizfam from United States
22 July 2006

I am a child of the 50's, and spent my preteen years feasting on all the classic sifi gems, such as " The day the earth stood still", "Forbidden Planet' etc. The 13th floor reminds me of those movies. This movie has been compared to the matrix, and that is unfair, Special effects are fine, but when they become the focal point of the movie, I think film suffers because of it. I liked the 13th floor because it didn't get caught up in all that technology and reallied on a great script, and a wonderful ensemble cast. I would highly recommend this movie to all, especially if you prefer the old "War of the Worlds" over the new one.

1937 Los Angeles looks really good

Author: Jeff (spoonjef@aol.com) from L.A. CA
29 May 1999

The Thirteenth Floor boasts an outstanding production design. Not the futuristic computer lab but the Los Angeles of the thirties. The art direction is remarkable. The Wilshire Grand Hotel is amazing to look at, both inside and out. The first time we see Los Angeles, we are amazed to see cable cars! Pretty much a rarity these days. The surrounding desert shows what LA used to look like, and it makes you wonder what life was like back in that era. As for the movie itself, it's not that bad. The film really moves when it centers in on the mystery of who killed who. Craig Bierko, sounding like Jeff Goldblum, delves into the LA of the past to find out what is going on. Of course, LA of the past only exists in a computer. The film zips along and carries us for the ride, only toward the end does it seem to drag down a little.

As others would say, question of playing god...

Author: Peteris Krisjanis (peteris.krisjanis@os.lv) from Riga, Latvia
17 July 2004

Movie touches idea about creation and living in the virtual world and how it could impact you, how power makes you ill and crazy and you start to destroy your creation.

Yes, someone maybe can claim a movie dull sometimes, but it's really different mood, it's not action-based, but thought and dialog based. And end, altought I guessed it could be like that way, surprised me anyway.

In overall, good, very interesting point of view to virtual worlds and playing god theme. Hollywood ending is somehow very oversweet (for me doesn't matter, I like happy endings sometimes, when it involves romance :)), it raises many points to think about.

8 out of 10.

All that we see or seem is but a dream within a dream

Author: ske1fr from United Kingdom
3 June 2005

Wonderful.

I haven't read any Rotten Tomatoes reviews on this movie, I only saw it recently broadcast on TV. This movie is not the Matrix! Interestingly the old movie "Tron" was shown on TV just a few days before, and this is perhaps appropriate.

If you've played "The Sims" then this movie might make you think again. What if the game you were playing was with real people? Who are the real people? This is a layer cake of a movie. The imagery in this movie is stunning, with the 1930s LA a visual feast. Loved the sepia tinting of these sequences, passed off in the movie as a software fault that needed work.

The plot is straightforward for the first 2/3rds of the movie, but then it accelerates and goes into left-field. I thought the ending was acceptable: indeed I thought the colours in the ending suggested that that this was another level to the virtual reality, which left a pleasant taste as it were in my intellectual mouth.

Best visual effect? The Edge of The World.

Quantum Leap!

Entertaining and thought-provoking....very underrated

Author: The_Void from Beverley Hills, England
13 November 2005

The Thirteenth Floor is one of those films that has gotten lost under all the more well-known films of the late nineties; and this is a shame, because it's a damn sight better than a lot of the films that always receive praise from the critics. Not everything in this film works, and for that reason and others; it's no masterpiece, but you've got to admire The Thirteenth Floor for it's originality, and it's ability to pull a coherent plot out of a scenario that has 'disaster' written all over it. The film is based on the book "Simulacron-3" by Daniel F. Galouye, which is the same book that inspired Rainer Werner Fassbinder's "World on a Wire". Whether or not this version is better, I can't tell you having not seen Fassbinder's version; but I can tell you that this version is worth seeing. The film follows the death of a computer programmer. He was working on a computer simulated world before his death, and his colleague; Douglas Hall, believes that the programmer left the key to discovering his murderer inside the virtual world...prompting him to go in search of it.

The film works both as an entertaining science fiction flick, and a thought provoking drama. The film asks questions about the value of life and the ills of playing God; and although these questions have been asked by many films many times before; here, it's done so well that you forget that and ask yourself these questions all over again. The twist at the centre of the movie extremely well worked, and after it hits you'll ask yourself how you didn't guess it sooner - and that is testament to the excellent plotting preceding it. Despite being a science fiction film, there is very little in the way of special effects in this film. However, the movie makes up for this with the excellent way that 1937 Los Angeles is created - it's easy to buy into the film's multi-world plot, and for that reason; it doesn't need special effects to work. The acting is largely good, with Craig Bierko impressing in the lead role. Vincent D'Onofrio, Gretchen Mol and 24's Dennis Haysbert, who is excellent in his small role, support him. On the whole, this isn't brilliant or a masterpiece; but as far as modern Sci-Fi goes; this is one of the best I've seen.

Sci-Fi Film Noir

Author: sircmichaels from United States
1 January 2006

This movie is clever and fun, and relies on less action and more thought to drive it along than, say, The Matrix.

I am not a fan of martial arts films, and while I don't mind action films, I tend to find them to be a bit boring.

This is a real thinker, a sci-fi film quite unlike any other I have seen. I've always been fond of this movie, with actors who are not well-known but still manage to shine on their own. With relatively unknown actors in the film, it made it much easier to accept the reality of the story than if there were stars all over this film.

Also, there are actions scenes but they do not require unrealistic kung fu moves that go on and on for twenty minutes. Instead, there is a nod to the film noir genre, with its tough-guy characters, shady dames, and guns and fists.

If you enjoy detective films, sci fi, or just like to be entertained, this will definitely serve well.

If you are looking for some run of the mill sci-fi goof-off, go check out something else.

Wonderfully inventive movie...

Author: barryjaylevine from United States
14 July 2008

...unlike the second and third Matrix films, "- Rehashed" and "- Regurgitated".

Lots of twists and turns to keep you guessing all the way to the end. Just enough good special effects to generate some "wow!"'s. At heart, this is a film noir murder mystery that Rod Serling would have loved; shows what a good script with a hard-working cast can do (if kept far enough away from George Lucas).

Twenty years from now, when the Matrix trilogy is finally relegated to the dustbin, if only because it took itself too seriously, The Thirteenth Floor will be remembered with the respect it deserves.

Page 1 of 31:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]