IMDb > The Thirteenth Floor (1999) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Thirteenth Floor

The Thirteenth Floor More at IMDbPro »

Page 5 of 31: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [Next]

Flawless, unbelievable

Author: Ariel Guerra (web-534-393830) from Switzerland
20 November 2012

Praise to the excellent direction and screenplay to Josef Rusnak and team!

From magnificent Daniel F. Galouye's book "Simulacron 3"

The plot may look simple at first sight, the world has created a new world within, through the use of technology, but the story will lead us to an even unknown dimension that not even The Matrix would as clearly set as The Thirteenth Floor.

The music, rendering and camera angles just fit the standards (higher than the average though)

There's a thick and refined work in here where Gretchen Mol and Vincent D'Onofrio take most credit for a delighting performance.

Then the pace of the movie is, to my concern, dedicated to the complexity of the characters and the implications of a parallel life and even life after death, rather than tricky special effects. That's maybe why this film did not hit a wider audience?

More questioning reality on film making please, this planet needs this!

Definitely a film worth watching twice, keeping and cherishing.

Far better than Matrix

Author: IgBar from Russia
7 January 2012

I think that The thirteenth floor is far superior to Matrix. Actually, I almost walked away from the first of Wachowski's "masterpiece", so hollow and childish and CGI-ridden it seemed. The thirteenth floor has superb acting, great locations and touching music (especially in the scene when the "end of the world" is discovered by Doug). There is great chemistry between the main characters, and the dialogue is very believable and authentic all along. It is surprising that there are no plot holes in a relatively complex story. This movie is for adults, not for post-puberty greenhorns (that's Matrix' audience). No offense, it's just an opinion of a grown, experienced person.

Like the 1999 movie "Matrix," but with more levels to reality.

Author: VernonPope
12 June 2001

Very thought provoking, and leads you to wonder, "At what point does it stop so I can wake up?" I love how most of the actors play characters in more than one level of the reality, lending a dream-like sense of "deja-vu" to each new level.

Surprise ! Cleaner than the Matrix and in the end better

Author: sjavlord from Conflans, France
6 August 2000

Well, at first sight it looks like a common B-movie. But nice surprise ! The acting and directing is very clean, temperate. Special effects are just there to strengthen the plot, and that plot is damn' interesting. Descartes's quotation (I think Therefore I am) was very well chosen.

Of course this movie reminds the Matrix. But the story is better and the special FXs don't invade the screen as they do in the Matrix.

It seems that some people remember that a sci-fi movie does not just need tremendous effects. Good work guys, carry on.

My rating : 10/10

Paper or Plastic?

Author: Robert J. Maxwell (rmax304823@yahoo.com) from Deming, New Mexico, USA
5 July 2008

I have to admit that this one got beyond me from time to time so these are just some impressionistic shards.

It's about a software engineer (Craig Bierko) whose boss (Armin Mueller-Stahl) is murdered, sliced to pieces in fact, one night in Los Angeles. The police come to suspect him. Bierko feels that the clues to the recent murder lie in the past, in Muehler-Stahl's youth, in the Los Angeles of 1937. Mueller-Stahl has been working on a device that sends the user back in time and it's possible that he has been leading a double life, one in modern LA and the other in 1937 LA. When the subject's consciousness is transferred, it loses awareness of itself and assumes a different, time-specific identity that does not remember the future. Bierko has his friend and co-worker (Vincent D'Onofrio) send him back for two hours. (Anything more than one hour is dangerous.) The machine has a glitch or something and before you know it, there are several people switching back and forth from past to present. One of them is Gretchen Mol, which is nice.

It's all pretty jumble and confusing to me and seems mainly an excuse for magnificent displays of computer-generated images, bars of laser-light like, and all the expectable rest. Splendid production design, though, in both parallel worlds.

Mueller-Stahl is always reliable and Gretchen Mol is a beautiful young woman. Craig Bierko has a talent that seems made for TV. His performance is adequate but illustrates the limits of his range. George Clooney with a voice that squeaks when it expresses excitement. Very good performance by D'Onofrio with a face and demeanor that could go either way.

Have you seen the Los Angeles of 1937 in "Chinatown"? (If you haven't, then do so at once, I implore you.) It's all sunny and bright. Fewer cars, less smog. Fewer people, more orange groves and flowers. This 1937 Los Angeles is dark and wet, just like the Los Angeles of the present. Everything is dark. Even the offices of the software company are dark. I'll bet the surgical teams are performing laparotomies in total blackness. Well, maybe a candle or two. It's just a silly fad, this dark lighting.

In fact, considering that another movie about time travel and solving a murder was released about the same time, "Deja Vu" with Denzel Washington, I'm beginning to wonder if time travel to solve a murder isn't liable to become a craze in and of itself. It would be nice if it were a genuine possibility. I'd like to go back to 1937 Los Angeles myself, but only with my present consciousness intact, so I could buy up all the real estate and discover Lana Turner in Schwab's Drug Store.

Things being what they are, however, and being stuck in the present, I gave up on this about half-way through. It simply didn't seem interesting enough to hold my attention. They blew too many opportunities. For example, there ought to be multiple instances in which people are transported into the past and bump into different fashions of quotidian life. Isn't anyone surprised at the price of gas at the pump in 1937 Los Angeles? Where are the bottles of milk with the cream separated at the top? I'm listening to the climax now, from the other room, and it's full of the kind of gun shots that suggest the time-travel mystery has turned into a more familiar shoot 'em up, but in any case I doubt that the sun is shining, wherever and whenever the characters are.

A virtually dull reality

Author: Bogmeister from United States
22 July 2005

The 2nd 'virtual reality' thriller of the year (following The Matrix), this did not enjoy a fraction of the former's success, probably due to a lack of stars and poor marketing. The concept is great: what if we create an alternate reality through our use of computers and all the 'inhabitants' of this computer-reality, despite being just bits of data, consider themselves as real & valid as us? It all goes back to that old saying: I think; therefore, I am. This idea is then refurbished halfway through with a surprise revelation (though experienced film-goers will guess this about a third of the way in). But, somehow, the exciting ideas are not translated well thru the story. There is a hum-drum monotonous tone throughout and most of the actors kind of sleepwalk through their roles (Mol, especially, is completely lacking in any screen presence). The filmmakers also fail to fully develop the repercussions of these tantalizing, even mind-blowing concepts. After all, this all seems to point to some very dangerous aspects, philosophically, of our ever-growing technology. The dangerous potential is glossed over in the end, as if prepping for a sequel, which looks doubtful now. Armin Mueller-Stahl appears as the originator of the technology.

Head-funk film

Author: hellholehorror
1 October 2017

This is the type of head-funk film that you need to watch twice. Although having now watched it twice I think that you should only ever watch it once – a lot is lost on the second viewing. It is confusing but when you get your head around the concept it becomes very interesting and pertinent. One problem though is that this kind of film will date badly. It already looks a bit preposterous in some ways. Possibly that was deliberate as nothing is tangible. Or should that be nothing is intangible? Just want to confirm that the effects look cheesy but overall it is fine to watch – the camera-work was a touch static – I do like that jittery new style. Apart from the strong thoughts that I cannot get out of my head I would still say how powerful this exploration into our mind's reality is. A little more action and graphical effects would have been nice although this is only a minor gripe. It is possibly a bit predictable too but not a long way in advance. Made me think a little too much possibly, I may unravel the mystery... The tacked-on love story is stupid but the premise is clever and gripping.

Inside the park home run

Author: joshyates1980 from Montgomery, Alabama
27 August 2017

Overall, the movie was one of the best I've seen in many years. As a software developer professionally and as a hobbyist, I watched this movie and became more motivated to develop more virtual reality applications.

The movie begins with a shady bartender reading a confidential letter that was not intended for him to read. He was suppose to hand it off to another individual. Next, there were some murders for the viewer to try and figure out the murderer.

Without spoiling the plot, the simulated world has more layers of mystery than I thought over halfway through the movie. I kept thinking the movie was about time travel because our reality appears linear.

Before I began watching the movie, I was expecting a base hit or maybe a double. But, by switching my perspective to a more physics standpoint or high dimensional, then the movie rounded the bases for an inside the park home run.

Within my reality, I can not classify this movie as fiction.

Strong Vincent D'Onofrio Role

Author: gavin6942 from United States
30 September 2015

Computer scientist Hannon Fuller has discovered something extremely important. He is about to tell the discovery to his colleague, Douglas Hall, but knowing someone is after him, the old man leaves a letter in the computer generated parallel world his company has created.

Right off the bat, I have to say how good of a role this is for Vincent D'Onofrio. He has spent much of his career in mediocre roles, but should be praised for the great actor he is. This should go right up alongside "Full Metal Jacket" and "Daredevil".

Beyond that, this is a great mind-bending science fiction film, with virtual reality and worlds within worlds. Things may not be as they seem. In a very general sense, it shares some common themes with "Dark City", which came out around the same time. Strangely, "Dark City" is the better known film, though they are equally good science fiction detective stories.

It is one of the most underrated Sci-Fi films.

Author: The-Eternity-of-Time
2 February 2015

Computer scientist Hannon Fuller has discovered something extremely important. He's about to tell the discovery to his colleague, Douglas Hall, but knowing someone is after him, the old man leaves a letter in the computer generated parallel world his company has created (which looks like the 30's with seemingly real people with real emotions). Fuller is murdered in our real world the same night, and his colleague is suspected. Douglas discovers a bloody shirt in his bathroom and he cannot recall what he was doing the night Fuller was murdered. He logs into the system in order to find the letter, but has to confront the unexpected. The truth is harsher than he could ever imagine. On the whole, this isn't brilliant or a masterpiece; but as far as modern Sci- Fi goes; this is one of the best I've seen.