IMDb > The Thirteenth Floor (1999) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Thirteenth Floor

The Thirteenth Floor More at IMDbPro »

Page 5 of 31: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [Next]

This is how a movie should be: plot before special effects!

Author: MKA from Milk Way
1 February 2012

This is a great Sci-Fi movie made with just $16,000,000. It's filmed in L.A., and, if you know something about filming costs, you know that $16,000,000 is a ridiculous budget AND that L.A. is one of the more expensive places to film in.

But this movie has something many other ones don't: a good plot!

The 13th Floor changed my way to think a movie by showing me a great film that has almost no special effects. The story doesn't need them, they'd have probably degraded the movie, contaminating its plain noir atmosphere. This is even more relevant if you think that it's a Sci-Fi movie, so a genre that usually (together with action movies) exceeds in special effects and stunning scenes.

I've been so lucky to watch it years before the "other so-called similar" movie (that actually isn't similar at all) which partially overshadowed this masterwork, so I appreciated The 13th Floor much more (and never really appreciated too much the other one, that would have been nothing without special effects).

I suggest everyone who likes good stories (not only Sci-Fi) to watch this great movie, I ensure no one will regret.

Far better than Matrix

Author: IgBar from Russia
7 January 2012

I think that The thirteenth floor is far superior to Matrix. Actually, I almost walked away from the first of Wachowski's "masterpiece", so hollow and childish and CGI-ridden it seemed. The thirteenth floor has superb acting, great locations and touching music (especially in the scene when the "end of the world" is discovered by Doug). There is great chemistry between the main characters, and the dialogue is very believable and authentic all along. It is surprising that there are no plot holes in a relatively complex story. This movie is for adults, not for post-puberty greenhorns (that's Matrix' audience). No offense, it's just an opinion of a grown, experienced person.

Like the 1999 movie "Matrix," but with more levels to reality.

Author: VernonPope
12 June 2001

Very thought provoking, and leads you to wonder, "At what point does it stop so I can wake up?" I love how most of the actors play characters in more than one level of the reality, lending a dream-like sense of "deja-vu" to each new level.

Surprise ! Cleaner than the Matrix and in the end better

Author: sjavlord from Conflans, France
6 August 2000

Well, at first sight it looks like a common B-movie. But nice surprise ! The acting and directing is very clean, temperate. Special effects are just there to strengthen the plot, and that plot is damn' interesting. Descartes's quotation (I think Therefore I am) was very well chosen.

Of course this movie reminds the Matrix. But the story is better and the special FXs don't invade the screen as they do in the Matrix.

It seems that some people remember that a sci-fi movie does not just need tremendous effects. Good work guys, carry on.

My rating : 10/10

Paper or Plastic?

Author: Robert J. Maxwell (rmax304823@yahoo.com) from Deming, New Mexico, USA
5 July 2008

I have to admit that this one got beyond me from time to time so these are just some impressionistic shards.

It's about a software engineer (Craig Bierko) whose boss (Armin Mueller-Stahl) is murdered, sliced to pieces in fact, one night in Los Angeles. The police come to suspect him. Bierko feels that the clues to the recent murder lie in the past, in Muehler-Stahl's youth, in the Los Angeles of 1937. Mueller-Stahl has been working on a device that sends the user back in time and it's possible that he has been leading a double life, one in modern LA and the other in 1937 LA. When the subject's consciousness is transferred, it loses awareness of itself and assumes a different, time-specific identity that does not remember the future. Bierko has his friend and co-worker (Vincent D'Onofrio) send him back for two hours. (Anything more than one hour is dangerous.) The machine has a glitch or something and before you know it, there are several people switching back and forth from past to present. One of them is Gretchen Mol, which is nice.

It's all pretty jumble and confusing to me and seems mainly an excuse for magnificent displays of computer-generated images, bars of laser-light like, and all the expectable rest. Splendid production design, though, in both parallel worlds.

Mueller-Stahl is always reliable and Gretchen Mol is a beautiful young woman. Craig Bierko has a talent that seems made for TV. His performance is adequate but illustrates the limits of his range. George Clooney with a voice that squeaks when it expresses excitement. Very good performance by D'Onofrio with a face and demeanor that could go either way.

Have you seen the Los Angeles of 1937 in "Chinatown"? (If you haven't, then do so at once, I implore you.) It's all sunny and bright. Fewer cars, less smog. Fewer people, more orange groves and flowers. This 1937 Los Angeles is dark and wet, just like the Los Angeles of the present. Everything is dark. Even the offices of the software company are dark. I'll bet the surgical teams are performing laparotomies in total blackness. Well, maybe a candle or two. It's just a silly fad, this dark lighting.

In fact, considering that another movie about time travel and solving a murder was released about the same time, "Deja Vu" with Denzel Washington, I'm beginning to wonder if time travel to solve a murder isn't liable to become a craze in and of itself. It would be nice if it were a genuine possibility. I'd like to go back to 1937 Los Angeles myself, but only with my present consciousness intact, so I could buy up all the real estate and discover Lana Turner in Schwab's Drug Store.

Things being what they are, however, and being stuck in the present, I gave up on this about half-way through. It simply didn't seem interesting enough to hold my attention. They blew too many opportunities. For example, there ought to be multiple instances in which people are transported into the past and bump into different fashions of quotidian life. Isn't anyone surprised at the price of gas at the pump in 1937 Los Angeles? Where are the bottles of milk with the cream separated at the top? I'm listening to the climax now, from the other room, and it's full of the kind of gun shots that suggest the time-travel mystery has turned into a more familiar shoot 'em up, but in any case I doubt that the sun is shining, wherever and whenever the characters are.

A virtually dull reality

Author: Bogmeister from United States
22 July 2005

The 2nd 'virtual reality' thriller of the year (following The Matrix), this did not enjoy a fraction of the former's success, probably due to a lack of stars and poor marketing. The concept is great: what if we create an alternate reality through our use of computers and all the 'inhabitants' of this computer-reality, despite being just bits of data, consider themselves as real & valid as us? It all goes back to that old saying: I think; therefore, I am. This idea is then refurbished halfway through with a surprise revelation (though experienced film-goers will guess this about a third of the way in). But, somehow, the exciting ideas are not translated well thru the story. There is a hum-drum monotonous tone throughout and most of the actors kind of sleepwalk through their roles (Mol, especially, is completely lacking in any screen presence). The filmmakers also fail to fully develop the repercussions of these tantalizing, even mind-blowing concepts. After all, this all seems to point to some very dangerous aspects, philosophically, of our ever-growing technology. The dangerous potential is glossed over in the end, as if prepping for a sequel, which looks doubtful now. Armin Mueller-Stahl appears as the originator of the technology.

Wow! Incredible movie!

Author: Peter Midknight
30 April 2015

Soooo far ahead of its time, what an amazing film! Sure the Matrix had more money and better FX but I'd be willing to bet my left nut that if this were remade (for modern times with a generous budget), a smarter audience would agree that this film blows that cyber punk hacker crap called The Matrix way out of the water.

From beginning to end this movie had my attention and of course I could pick a little at the dialog here or there or this or that, but it was made in the 90's, over a decade and a half ago. I mean, in 5 years, we'll be 20 years ahead of where we are now, so considering that, this has just earned a 9/10 in my book.

I have absolutely no reason not to recommend this to anyone. Well, anyone with the ability to see beyond the (very slight) limitations of when this was made. Even then the 1930's was fantastic and so was the future. I'll stop there so that there aren't any spoilers, but if you have any interest in this sort of thing, I can guarantee that you'll at least be able to appreciate the movie and its ideas, if not, actually enjoy it and have a good time as I did.

(In order to avoid stone throwing, I have to add this >) There is quite a following for The Matrix and we can never really compare movies side by side as these stories were different and so was the 'feel' (unless its a remake of the very same movie, maybe.) and The Matrix had 4 times! the budget this movie had. So.. anyway:

DO NOT SKIP OUT ON THIS MOVIE. You just might regret it.

That's Allstate's stand ... are you in good hands? ;)

"Innovative And Revolutionary"

Author: kimi_layercake from India
27 February 2011

"The Thirteenth Floor" is a science fiction film based on alternate reality or virtual existence. It centered around two scientists who on their quest of virtual simulation, stumbled upon a revelation that leads to murder and shocking twist and turns.

Cast wise, Amazing. I have never seen any movie of Craig Bierko, but his acting is very good in the movie. His masculine and rugged charm works great for him. Gretchen Mol looks stunning throughout the movie. Armin Mueller-Stahl and Vincent D'Onofrio were perfect in their respective pivotal role. rest chipped in well.

"The Thirteenth Floor" storyline might be inspired from multiple sources but it's storyline has formed the basis for lots of movies, including "Inception", a fact accepted by Chris Nolan himself. Beautiful screenplay and very good set design wields a very unique and fascinating look to the movie. The special effects are very creative and realistic.

Overall, "The Thirteenth Floor" is a must watch movie. It goes much beyond the average science fiction movie. Actually, It's a cult movie.

My Verdict: 7/10

Interesting Sci Flick. Great Performances.

Author: Dgoldyn from fort lauderdale
13 March 2002

I'm not a sci-fi fan but this one took me by surprise. Wow! The cinematography, direction, art direction are quite amazing. I never heard of this flick and I rented it on a whim because a friend of mine had a small part in it.

Creating the world of the thirties, the future and now was quite amazing by the art director. The feel of each of these times and places was wonderfully captured by the director and cinematographer. What a thrill to see Wilshire Boulevard circa 1937. It's grown a bit since then. Also great were performances by Craig Bierko--who is always good (First found him when he stole the movie Sour Grapes from everyone around him) Gretchen Mol and Vincent Donofrio.

This movies asks the question--what if we are all computer simulations? And nothing is real. Who is controlling the computer? Who really is the puppet master or God. And if we are all simulated, is love real?

Really fine well done flick. See it.

Well worth watching

Author: koneko from Ireland
27 December 2001

Though it may not be the best, or as good as The Matrix was in delving into this subject, the film is well worth watching. Though it starts off slow, and may get a little tedious in parts, the second half really picks up, and works pretty well. A big messy, and the acting could have been better, but an interesting idea.