IMDb > The Thirteenth Floor (1999) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Thirteenth Floor

The Thirteenth Floor More at IMDbPro »

Page 3 of 31: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [Next]

Anyway, the acting, story, cinematography, etc, all great!

Author: me-0-821422
13 March 2011

I vaguely remember watching this movie when it first came out. I thought it was lame, and it seemed a bit phony. Now here I am 12 years later, and I just watched it again. I really liked it a lot. Who could truly understand this movie in 1999? These days I spend my time playing GTA4 and JustCause2 for many more hours than I like to admit. I wonder what games will be like 12 years from now? When my real life gets boring, it's easy to relate it too a big video game, that has grown tiring. It all just feels a bit fake or surreal. This movie does a great job of making a person question their own reality. Maybe we are all just pre programmed. Could we all just be some experiment, monitored by those of higher enlightenment outside our understanding? Maybe when you die, you just wake up to into a much grander design!

Pretty good noir virtual reality thriller film

Author: KineticSeoul from United States
21 September 2010

Although this film wasn't a big hit, nor did it have any top actors or actresses. It still was interesting and entertaining from beginning to end with it's well developed plot. There is some philosophical aspects to the film as well if you pay attention, which I thought went well with the whole scenario. The film isn't very complex nor does it try to be, but it still gets the job done and although the twist and turns are simple, it's still not that predictable. It's thought provoking and works sort of like a detective movie, where the protagonist and even the audience is trying to find out what it going on and has enough substance to go with it. The protagonist is basically trying to solve a murder while he is the number one suspect. There was also plenty of ways to lengthen this movie while being fast paced with more character development and more philosophical with some detail of some of the aspects of the stuff that goes on, which I wouldn't have mind, cause I wanted to see more after the credit started rolling. A lot of films in the future is going to be influenced by this film like "The Matrix" has. Good movie about virtual reality and it's layers.

i wish... i could seen this earlier

Author: ib_adnan from Pakistan
14 September 2010

wawoooooooo what a movie,,,

i just saw that movie yesterday after eid and it was like wow... i m big fan of fiction and this one was class act ;) from start till end we are unable to found out what is really happening and that is the beauty of fiction and suspense movie... although it can be more better if some parts of movie more clear ... like when the bar tender was killing the other person main hero.. and suddenly he woke up due to interruption by his college,,, other person must be died at other part of the world but... later on it was showing that it was in his back of car... bit little flaws are there but movie was fantastic...

8/10 ..

Great Movie...In Some Respects

Author: infocyde from United States
8 July 2006

Firstly, The 13th Floor really isn't an 8, it is more like a 6.5. The 13th Floor does deal with some concepts that were pretty far ahead thinking for when the movie was made, so I will give The 13th Floor an 8. The 13th Floor is a movie about virtual reality and like the movie the Matrix The 13th Floor has an interesting spin on "what is real." I also liked the way the movie depicted how users who enter realistic virtual 3D worlds where they can do anything they want often become warped by those worlds. I think with emergent 3D worlds like Second Life the affects of what people do in the virtual and how that both reflects and affects the actual will become big issues in our near future. The 13th Floor was ahead of its time by dealing with that issue, which impressed me.

You see a few big name actors in this film before they were famous and a few actors that you wonder why didn't their careers didn't go further.

The ending for me was a little disappointing and I thought a weak spot in the script writing. If the ending would have been different and maybe if The 13th Floor has slightly better visual effects the movie could have been a solid 9. The visual effects guys did do a great job by 1999 standards of creating what Los Angeles probably looked like in the 30ies. Also the custom and set designers did a fantastic job for the 30ies sets as well.

So, I would recommend it because it gets you thinking a bit. Is it a keeper for the DVD collection? I would say borderline.

One of the greatest concept films

Author: khieriel from Oregon
22 May 2003

I consider this film great as a concept film because its metaphor of humans living in a provisional reality--one that has only relative substance which can be awakened from or "died to" at any point. And then the new reality is only provisional too!

What is the "real" world we live in? We live on a plane of relative existence but meditate or eventually die to wake into another dimension of existence. Most people doubt this to be true, and imagine this material world is all there is. But films like eXistenZ, The Thirteenth Floor, The Truman Show, Matrix, and several others are trying to wake humanity up to the illusory state of things.

And incidentally The Thirteenth Floor did this job extremely well by using the metaphor of the dialed in computer model of the virtual.

Not as bad as the critic thought

Author: ( from Denton, Texas
2 May 2002

Pros: Special effects, script.

Cons: Gets a bit too unbelievable, last 20 minutes ruins it.

The Thirteenth Floor was critically panned but it really isn't that bad. Craig Bierko is an inventor of a virtual reality game in which all the characters are real enough to, as Dennis Haysberth puts it, "f**k". His mentor, played by Armin Mueller Stahl frequents this land and comes upon a secret. He gives a note to a bartender (played by Vincent D'nofrio) to give to Bierko. The bartender instead reads it and discovers the secret. Armin Mueller dies and Bierko must go into this land to find out who killed him. The plot twists are many and startling as you begin to watch the movie. Similar to the matrix and Dark City because the charactes are in a prison and they are unaware to it. I call the Matrix, Dark city, and the Thirteenth floor the Perception Vs Reality series. The Matrix takes the philosophical side, Dark city the humanistic side, but Thirteenth Floor explores the technological side of the argument of what makes us human. Ultimately inferior to the prior films, it is still one of the best sci-fi films of the 90's.

Premise: Bierko must find out who killed Stahl.

The thirteenth floor was nominated for best science fiction film at the Saturn Award.

Grade: 8.2/10 (Good Film)

A Must-see if you are a fan of matrix

Author: Hunky Stud
29 May 2001

I thought that Matrix might be a copy of this movie. However, to my surprise, both movies were made in 1999. Those two movies have similar concepts.

An audience has to be actively thinking in order to understand the logic and intelligence of this movie. The writer and screenwriter must have spent some time to make up a story that flows so smoothly. Of course, there is one obvious mistake. In order to make computers that are so sophisticated, I do not think that there could be only two workers working in the lab.

It does not have all those high tech movement as in the Matrix, however, it is absolutely a smart movie. The common audience might not even understand.

I am glad that I have seen this movie. I have never heard about this movie until I accidently found it at a local library. Too bad, it did not make a big hit in the main stream. Otherwise, we can expect a sequel II.

It is definitely a must see!

One of the best movies I have ever seen.

Author: George League ( from Raleigh, North Carolina
20 March 2001

This movie has it all. Riveting plot, sharp editing, fantastic soundtrack, good acting, and special effects that are so good that you don't realize that they are special effects (the recreation of 1937 Los Angeles). There have been comparisons to The Matrix...The Matrix was all special effects and little else. This movie grabs your heart and soul and takes it for a very thought-provoking ride. It is NOT a rip-off of the Matrix, since it is based on a novel written many years ago, and was in production long before the Matrix was released. Absolutely one of my all time favorites.

An exciting movie and it makes you think.

Author: Pete-104 ( from Redmond, WA
16 October 1999

This is a great movie. It has vitual action, like the Matrix, great acting and f/x, and makes you think at the end, like Contact. It is kind of like the Matrix, but not a ripoff. While it has similar elements, it's not about action or a quest like Neo's; it's mostly story-focussed, which is less common in movies these days. It also had exciting parts, but not just mindless action. If you like movies with interesting stories and twists plus action and suspense, rent this movie, but make sure the ending isn't given away.

A twist here...a twist there

Author: Mike Morris from Muskegon, MI
29 May 1999

On the whole a very good movie. The mechanical part...the photography, both in the "real world" and in the synthetic world are done in graphic splendor. I especially loved the 30s scenescape. The actors were well cast. The story itself, especially the idea of a synthetic world, is good. The only drawback to the whole movie was that like a whodunnit that wasn't scripted perfectly, I pretty much knew what was gonna happen at the end long before we got there. Still was fun watching them get to that point. I sincerely recommend this movie to all. Won't compete to the new Star Wars release...but on it's own will do well.