IMDb > The Thirteenth Floor (1999) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Thirteenth Floor

The Thirteenth Floor More at IMDbPro »

Page 3 of 31: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [Next]

A 1999 like of "I N C E P T I O N"!

Author: RainbowCastel from Switzerland
31 October 2010

Well, well. What a surprise I got here watching this 11 years old movie!

After watching the Inception, searching about reviews on it on the net and more good Sci-Fi movies, I noticed the name of this movie.

I can tell you that I was amazingly surprised of the quality, act, story, ambiance and the final twist of this movie. Although there are not much CGI compared to these days movies, it keeps the viewer hooked to the story and characters.

For me it is in the same category as Dark City, The Matrix and now the Inception.

Very underrated. A great solid, multi layer and feel good Sci-Fi movie. One of those at the end you start looking around thinking, What If ...!

They say déja vu is a sign of love at first sight, well this sure was a déja vu, but love it wasn't.

Author: stamper from The Netherlands
27 August 2000

Well this is not only an original thriller but a pretty good one too. Although it sure makes a little bell ring in my head (SPOILER AHEAD<>WARNING MAJOR SPOILER AHEAD), for the way the film goes reminded me a lot of eXistenZ. However these two films are not the same. Whereas the twist is saved for the ending in eXistenZ in The Thirteenth Floor you are told in the film a long time before the film ends, plus you can figure it out before if you really search for something and if you keep your attention, which I didn't (END OF SPOILER<>START READING AGAIN). Furthermore there really isn't that much to say, the effects were good as was the acting and the plot. The only thing that I really didn't like that much in this film was, that it sometimes was too predictable and I think it's a pity, because it kind of made the film a bit worse than it actually was, because it was an entertaining and exciting movie. This film was just the way a thriller is intended and meant to be.

7 out of 10

Within the looking glass

Author: p-stepien from United Kingdom
5 November 2012

The peculiar year of 1999 brought about three sci-fi based flicks circling around the theme of virtual reality. The bombastic "Matrix" attacked sensorically, whilst inspiring some covert philosophical questions. Meanwhile David Cronenberg retreading paths already ventured eking out a somewhat redundant, albeit intriguing take on the new technoorganic future of mankind with "eXistenZ". With these two powerful pieces "The Thirteenth Floor", much more coy in ambition and restrained in goals, got somewhat overlooked, taking a historical back-burner, nonetheless garnering some fan-base, which allowed the picture to linger.

Hannon Fuller (Armin Mueller-Stahl), the creator of a virtual realm filled with conscious beings re-imagined in our likeness, ventures one last time into his 1930s inspired world to leave a message of warning to his associate Douglas Hall (Craig Bierko). Some grim mystery unravelled leads Fuller to desperation, but soon meets his end when murdered by an unnamed assailant. In order to uncover the cause of his mentor's death Douglas decides to enter the VR with the help of his coworker Jason Whitney (Vincent D'Onofrio). Meanwhile the heir to Fuller's company - a previously unknown daughter - Jane Fuller (Gretchen Mol) appears with claim to the fortune and to her father's discoveries...

Unmistakenly neo-noir, especially and unsurprisingly when thrown back to the razzmatazz of 1930s Los Angeles, "The Thirteenth Floor" creates a world, which feels instantaneously attractive. The concept itself of living in a programmed world may seem somewhat trivial, but the delivery is anything but. Hannon Fuller turns out to be less than perfect, as he used his newly created world to venture into sexual escapades with hotel dancers, living excessively and without remorse (unfortunately not an issue fervently explored). Similarly other people using VR tend to usurp the power given to do things they would never think of in real life, as if using the VR as a valve for releasing hidden anxieties and wants.

The problem however with "The Thirteenth Floor" comes with the final act. When the pieces start falling into place there remains no mystery and the solution becomes evident long before the puzzle has been solved. After a captivating setup the direction soon becomes all too obvious, thus the atmosphere of intrigue dissipates, leaving a rather hollow shell on which the director places a somewhat sappy love story with a twist. This part of the movie sticks out sorely and the director seems to put in all his best effort to close out and finish before everything spirals out of control. Once offering the solution to the mystery Josef Rusnak has nothing left to offer, albeit the issue of realising inner dreams in an alternative reality seems ripe for the taking (as well as the ills of playing God). Despite some overall allure a lot of the movie doesn't really work, which makes it a different take on the matter. Enjoyable but ultimately not one offering much deeper insight and with a faltering delivery (despite an astute and well bent script).

The movie that it could've been...

Author: lplohmann from Brazil
3 June 2012

Don't be misguided by the reviews saying this movie sides with ones like Blade Runner or Matrix. While I must admit it clearly had the potential to do so, in the end, well, it just isn't so.

The plot of this film is very interesting. I wonder the book in which it's inspired must be very good. The characterization of the Los Angeles of 1930 is great. But the movie itself is very badly directed and most of the actors are just equally bad. Thi first half of the movie is very rushed what makes the characters seem pretty unreasonable and superficial.

So the in the end the result is just an ordinary movie. It's a little enjoyable, but far from memorable. I give it 5/10 for the studio having wasted such a good history.

The Ultimate Movie Review! - http://tss5078.blogspot.com - @tss5078

Author: Tss5078 from United States
14 January 2013

The Thirteenth Floor was Columbia Pictures answer to the Matrix and is based on the award winning 1964 Sci-Fi novel, Simulacron 3 by Daniel Galouye. I have known about this movie for a long time, but was always hesitant to see it, because when something like this appears in theaters 6 months after a groundbreaking film like the Matrix, you fully expect it to be a complete rip off. I was sitting at home flipping through the channels and saw the Matrix on, but I didn't wanna see it for the millionth time and decided to see if the Thirteenth Floor was streaming and sure it enough it was, and what a terrific story it turned out to be! In the year 2000, scientists have found a way to transfer a persons consciousness into a fully interactive computer program which has the potential to replace video games. The creator however has discovered a major problem with the system and is found dead. The second in charge of the project soon learns the answer to this brutal murder appears in the simulator, which is a replica of 1937. The story is absolutely ingenious and I loved how the film jumps between present day and the 1930s, it was like watching two stories at once that you knew would eventually come together. Craig Bierko stars in what turns out to be one of his few leading roles and he's just terrific. I remember him as the bad guy in the Long Kiss Goodnight and I thought he was great then, and he's great now. To make the cast even stronger, they take the intense Bierko and pair him with Law & Order's Vincent D'Onofrio, who is quite possibly the most intense actor in Hollywood. To top the whole thing off, this movie has a huge twist in the end, a twist that will make a lot of people wonder about the true nature of their own reality. The Thirteenth Floor is a fresh story with an amazing cast that will make you think, movies like this don't come along as often as they should!

This is how a movie should be: plot before special effects!

Author: MKA from Milk Way
1 February 2012

This is a great Sci-Fi movie made with just $16,000,000. It's filmed in L.A., and, if you know something about filming costs, you know that $16,000,000 is a ridiculous budget AND that L.A. is one of the more expensive places to film in.

But this movie has something many other ones don't: a good plot!

The 13th Floor changed my way to think a movie by showing me a great film that has almost no special effects. The story doesn't need them, they'd have probably degraded the movie, contaminating its plain noir atmosphere. This is even more relevant if you think that it's a Sci-Fi movie, so a genre that usually (together with action movies) exceeds in special effects and stunning scenes.

I've been so lucky to watch it years before the "other so-called similar" movie (that actually isn't similar at all) which partially overshadowed this masterwork, so I appreciated The 13th Floor much more (and never really appreciated too much the other one, that would have been nothing without special effects).

I suggest everyone who likes good stories (not only Sci-Fi) to watch this great movie, I ensure no one will regret.

Artificial

Author: tedg (tedg@filmsfolded.com) from Virginia Beach
21 October 2001

Spoilers herein.

Most movies are at least superficially about real people. `Matrix' (`Truman' and many others) put real people in artificial worlds. `Bladerunner' (and lessor films like `AI') put artificial people in the real world. Now finally we have artificial people in artificial worlds, unknowingly as in `Bladerunner.' A clever beginning, but not enough.

The production values are not the problem, nor is the level of acting -- so many successful scifi picts have uninspired acting that it is nearly a prerequisite. The problem is that the film is too safe. It decides to impress on an intellectual level, which is noble but dangerous.

Safety: everything is understandable, even predictable. The ending is safe: there IS a reality and creators after all folks. The mechanics are safe: controllable (at least in this story) computers.

The notion could have really done a fine number by using a more sophisticated notion of computers (the story seems set in the 60s so far as technology) and by tying the notion of virtual reality for entertainment to film and then the very film WE are watching. Like `My Dinner With Andre.' Like `Draughtsman's Contract.' Even `Sweet and Lowdown' which also had Gretchen.

A Must Watch

Author: firefly900 from dublin
11 October 2011

Other reviewers will explain this movie, but i just wanted to say that it was a pleasant surprise to watch, it was a book that referenced this film that brought me here, otherwise i perhaps would of passed it by because i never heard of it, its a shame that it is so Underrated but it really is a great film. The acting was quite good as well and it was interesting to note Vincent D'Onofrios performance as another pleasant surprise, this is the actor that played private pile in Full Metal Jacket, i had never seen him in another role after that movie and so it was good to see him and his fine acting again. Not forgetting Craig Bierko the lead actor was also very good.

Do watch this, you will be happy with the result.

Anyway, the acting, story, cinematography, etc, all great!

Author: me-0-821422
13 March 2011

I vaguely remember watching this movie when it first came out. I thought it was lame, and it seemed a bit phony. Now here I am 12 years later, and I just watched it again. I really liked it a lot. Who could truly understand this movie in 1999? These days I spend my time playing GTA4 and JustCause2 for many more hours than I like to admit. I wonder what games will be like 12 years from now? When my real life gets boring, it's easy to relate it too a big video game, that has grown tiring. It all just feels a bit fake or surreal. This movie does a great job of making a person question their own reality. Maybe we are all just pre programmed. Could we all just be some experiment, monitored by those of higher enlightenment outside our understanding? Maybe when you die, you just wake up to into a much grander design!

Pretty good noir virtual reality thriller film

Author: KineticSeoul from United States
21 September 2010

Although this film wasn't a big hit, nor did it have any top actors or actresses. It still was interesting and entertaining from beginning to end with it's well developed plot. There is some philosophical aspects to the film as well if you pay attention, which I thought went well with the whole scenario. The film isn't very complex nor does it try to be, but it still gets the job done and although the twist and turns are simple, it's still not that predictable. It's thought provoking and works sort of like a detective movie, where the protagonist and even the audience is trying to find out what it going on and has enough substance to go with it. The protagonist is basically trying to solve a murder while he is the number one suspect. There was also plenty of ways to lengthen this movie while being fast paced with more character development and more philosophical with some detail of some of the aspects of the stuff that goes on, which I wouldn't have mind, cause I wanted to see more after the credit started rolling. A lot of films in the future is going to be influenced by this film like "The Matrix" has. Good movie about virtual reality and it's layers.

7.6/10