IMDb > The Thirteenth Floor (1999) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Thirteenth Floor

The Thirteenth Floor More at IMDbPro »

Page 3 of 31: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [Next]

A very under-the-radar science fiction film. And a pleasant surprise.

Author: Mr-Fusion from United States
26 April 2013

The first thing you're stuck by while watching this movie is how stylish is it, both in terms of look and movement. A very odd concept: a murder mystery set in 1930s Los Angeles by way of virtual reality. Indeed, it's like the technology (very '90s) hopped in the sack with the design elements of "Gattaca" and nine months later, "The Thirteenth Floor" was born.

Solid performances from the cast, notably Craig Bierko's accused man, straining to get his questions answered before the cops get him (which includes the likable-but-still menacing Dennis Haysbert). And before I forget, the quite fetching Gretchen Mol. Not really much in the way of character development, but it helps that the focus here is on the central mystery plot.

But it's a story that keeps the viewer thinking from the very beginning, and one that leads to a nice surprise of an ending (not a shocker). And overall terrific production design that plunges you right into Los Angeles, 1937.

The movie that it could've been...

Author: lplohmann from Brazil
3 June 2012

Don't be misguided by the reviews saying this movie sides with ones like Blade Runner or Matrix. While I must admit it clearly had the potential to do so, in the end, well, it just isn't so.

The plot of this film is very interesting. I wonder the book in which it's inspired must be very good. The characterization of the Los Angeles of 1930 is great. But the movie itself is very badly directed and most of the actors are just equally bad. Thi first half of the movie is very rushed what makes the characters seem pretty unreasonable and superficial.

So the in the end the result is just an ordinary movie. It's a little enjoyable, but far from memorable. I give it 5/10 for the studio having wasted such a good history.

Most underrated Sci-Fi of all time

Author: p k from United States
7 October 2013

I will immediately say that this movie was panned by critics a like. I will also say that this is one of the most thought provoking sci-fi movies that has come out in recent years. Think of Inception but 12 years earlier. It's also very similar to Matrix without the violence. More of an artistic-noir look at Virtual Reality. If you're a sci-fan give this title a chance, you won't be disappointed. The acting is also underrated. Most of the actors in this movie have gone onto become big time actors. I think the problem was that Matrix came out at the same time and provided the de-facto standard for new Sci-fi, and what they are supposed to be.

This is how a movie should be: plot before special effects!

Author: MKA from Milk Way
1 February 2012

This is a great Sci-Fi movie made with just $16,000,000. It's filmed in L.A., and, if you know something about filming costs, you know that $16,000,000 is a ridiculous budget AND that L.A. is one of the more expensive places to film in.

But this movie has something many other ones don't: a good plot!

The 13th Floor changed my way to think a movie by showing me a great film that has almost no special effects. The story doesn't need them, they'd have probably degraded the movie, contaminating its plain noir atmosphere. This is even more relevant if you think that it's a Sci-Fi movie, so a genre that usually (together with action movies) exceeds in special effects and stunning scenes.

I've been so lucky to watch it years before the "other so-called similar" movie (that actually isn't similar at all) which partially overshadowed this masterwork, so I appreciated The 13th Floor much more (and never really appreciated too much the other one, that would have been nothing without special effects).

I suggest everyone who likes good stories (not only Sci-Fi) to watch this great movie, I ensure no one will regret.

Artificial

Author: tedg (tedg@filmsfolded.com) from Virginia Beach
21 October 2001

Spoilers herein.

Most movies are at least superficially about real people. `Matrix' (`Truman' and many others) put real people in artificial worlds. `Bladerunner' (and lessor films like `AI') put artificial people in the real world. Now finally we have artificial people in artificial worlds, unknowingly as in `Bladerunner.' A clever beginning, but not enough.

The production values are not the problem, nor is the level of acting -- so many successful scifi picts have uninspired acting that it is nearly a prerequisite. The problem is that the film is too safe. It decides to impress on an intellectual level, which is noble but dangerous.

Safety: everything is understandable, even predictable. The ending is safe: there IS a reality and creators after all folks. The mechanics are safe: controllable (at least in this story) computers.

The notion could have really done a fine number by using a more sophisticated notion of computers (the story seems set in the 60s so far as technology) and by tying the notion of virtual reality for entertainment to film and then the very film WE are watching. Like `My Dinner With Andre.' Like `Draughtsman's Contract.' Even `Sweet and Lowdown' which also had Gretchen.

Wow! Incredible movie!

Author: Peter Midknight
30 April 2015

Soooo far ahead of its time, what an amazing film! Sure the Matrix had more money and better FX but I'd be willing to bet my left nut that if this were remade (for modern times with a generous budget), a smarter audience would agree that this film blows that cyber punk hacker crap called The Matrix way out of the water.

From beginning to end this movie had my attention and of course I could pick a little at the dialog here or there or this or that, but it was made in the 90's, over a decade and a half ago. I mean, in 5 years, we'll be 20 years ahead of where we are now, so considering that, this has just earned a 9/10 in my book.

I have absolutely no reason not to recommend this to anyone. Well, anyone with the ability to see beyond the (very slight) limitations of when this was made. Even then the 1930's was fantastic and so was the future. I'll stop there so that there aren't any spoilers, but if you have any interest in this sort of thing, I can guarantee that you'll at least be able to appreciate the movie and its ideas, if not, actually enjoy it and have a good time as I did.

(In order to avoid stone throwing, I have to add this >) There is quite a following for The Matrix and we can never really compare movies side by side as these stories were different and so was the 'feel' (unless its a remake of the very same movie, maybe.) and The Matrix had 4 times! the budget this movie had. So.. anyway:

DO NOT SKIP OUT ON THIS MOVIE. You just might regret it.

That's Allstate's stand ... are you in good hands? ;)

A Must Watch

Author: firefly900 from dublin
11 October 2011

Other reviewers will explain this movie, but i just wanted to say that it was a pleasant surprise to watch, it was a book that referenced this film that brought me here, otherwise i perhaps would of passed it by because i never heard of it, its a shame that it is so Underrated but it really is a great film. The acting was quite good as well and it was interesting to note Vincent D'Onofrios performance as another pleasant surprise, this is the actor that played private pile in Full Metal Jacket, i had never seen him in another role after that movie and so it was good to see him and his fine acting again. Not forgetting Craig Bierko the lead actor was also very good.

Do watch this, you will be happy with the result.

Anyway, the acting, story, cinematography, etc, all great!

Author: me-0-821422
13 March 2011

I vaguely remember watching this movie when it first came out. I thought it was lame, and it seemed a bit phony. Now here I am 12 years later, and I just watched it again. I really liked it a lot. Who could truly understand this movie in 1999? These days I spend my time playing GTA4 and JustCause2 for many more hours than I like to admit. I wonder what games will be like 12 years from now? When my real life gets boring, it's easy to relate it too a big video game, that has grown tiring. It all just feels a bit fake or surreal. This movie does a great job of making a person question their own reality. Maybe we are all just pre programmed. Could we all just be some experiment, monitored by those of higher enlightenment outside our understanding? Maybe when you die, you just wake up to into a much grander design!

Pretty good noir virtual reality thriller film

Author: KineticSeoul from United States
21 September 2010

Although this film wasn't a big hit, nor did it have any top actors or actresses. It still was interesting and entertaining from beginning to end with it's well developed plot. There is some philosophical aspects to the film as well if you pay attention, which I thought went well with the whole scenario. The film isn't very complex nor does it try to be, but it still gets the job done and although the twist and turns are simple, it's still not that predictable. It's thought provoking and works sort of like a detective movie, where the protagonist and even the audience is trying to find out what it going on and has enough substance to go with it. The protagonist is basically trying to solve a murder while he is the number one suspect. There was also plenty of ways to lengthen this movie while being fast paced with more character development and more philosophical with some detail of some of the aspects of the stuff that goes on, which I wouldn't have mind, cause I wanted to see more after the credit started rolling. A lot of films in the future is going to be influenced by this film like "The Matrix" has. Good movie about virtual reality and it's layers.

7.6/10

i wish... i could seen this earlier

Author: ib_adnan from Pakistan
14 September 2010

wawoooooooo what a movie,,,

i just saw that movie yesterday after eid and it was like wow... i m big fan of fiction and this one was class act ;) from start till end we are unable to found out what is really happening and that is the beauty of fiction and suspense movie... although it can be more better if some parts of movie more clear ... like when the bar tender was killing the other person main hero.. and suddenly he woke up due to interruption by his college,,, other person must be died at other part of the world but... later on it was showing that it was in his back of car... bit little flaws are there but movie was fantastic...

8/10 ..