IMDb > Training Day (2001) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Training Day

Training Day More at IMDbPro »

Page 4 of 64: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [Next]

A different Denzel - and how

Author: rogerdarlington from United Kingdom
8 January 2012

Don't be misled by the innocuous title of this 2001 movie - for Los Angeles cop Jake Hoyt (Ethan Hawke) on his first day with the narcotics division, this is going to be a day from hell. And don't be caught out by the casting of Denzel Washington as Detective Alonzo Harris, Jake's mentor-cum-nemesis - this is is not the Washington whom we first met in 1987 in "Cry, Freedom" who has since played a whole series of good guy roles. In this movie, he is one real m****r f****r. And, if you don't like this sort of language, don't watch the film because it is replete with four- and six-letter expletives as well as street language that is sometimes hard to follow .

Writer David Ayer and director Antoine Fuqua have provided a violent and bloody narrative that grips from start to finish. Both Washington and Hawke are rarely off the screen and Washington in particular gives a capital performance. In fact, both actors attracted Oscar nominations with Washington deservedly winning for Best Actor for his bravura turn. The Alonzo Harris character was loosely inspired by the disgraced LAPD officer Rafael Perez who served two prison terms totalling six years. If he ever saw the movie, he would feel that it could have been a whole lot worse.

Denzel Washington got an Oscar for this? Not so much...

Author: hughman55 from Texas
1 April 2010

This movie is about the worst first day at work ever. Must have been a bad year for Best Actor for DW to get Best Actor by giving a "Jack Nicholsonesque" over the top performance as a crooked narco cop who trains his new partner, Ethan Hawke, on his first day on the job. Ethan Hawke is a serious cop (and he plays the role well). Even so, his trainer, Denzel Washinton, manages to get him to, or I should say the "script" manages to get him to, on their first day together as partners, smoke PCP, take responsibility for a murder, release two rapists, shake down a drug dealer in a wheelchair, drink beer and hard liquor on the job, conduct an illegal search, and more. It defies believability. The core of the movie seems to be a vehicle for DW to be the big angry, over the top bossy, black guy, and call his new rookie "nigger" for the first fifteen minutes of the movie. There was no suspense, no tension, just an angry black man yelling at his new white rookie for two hours. Nothing here for me. Why this rates as anything Oscar worthy for anyone is a mystery, more of a mystery than anything in this film... If you have two hours of your life you don't know what to do with don't waste them here. Take Defensive Driving or something...

Repulsive and stupid

Author: sommerjd from Ohio
26 January 2003

I was eager to see this film, having missed its theatrical release. I wanted to see Denzel Washington's Oscar-winning performance. Unfortunately, it was a waste of 2 hours.

Ugly scenes pile up one after the other in this film, one more repulsive than the other. The film makes a weak gesture at introducing an interesting moral dilemma: is it possible to fight the evil of drug-dealing while holding onto one's own sense of morality? But ultimately, it has nothing complex or thoughtful to say about that dilemma. The best performance in the film is actually Ethan Hawke's, a character torn by conflicting impulses. Hawke does a fine job of conveying that inner turmoil. Washington's performance is mostly just showing off, but then his character is largely a cartoon character. The Oscar is a make-up for other better performances that have gone unrewarded.

And isn't it enlightening that all of the film's people of color are despicable drug dealer or corrupt cops while the film's conscience is the white cop?

I was generous; I rated the movie a 3.

Oscar material? Yeah, right...

Author: Superunknovvn from Austria, Vienna
28 October 2005

"Training Day" is a third rate cop drama/thriller with an uninteresting plot and not one believable character. The movie couldn't be further removed from reality. If this was supposed to be a brainless action movie it wouldn't bother me that much, but since this flick has won an Oscar one can't be so forgiving.

It's good to see Denzel Washington not preaching about American History or Human Rights for once, but that's not saying he can't give any speeches here. He still finds more than his share of opportunities to go on and on about the tough life on the street, what it means to be a cop, etc., etc. His character is a joke. The things he is saying all day are so obviously BS, that no one would buy it. Ethan Hawke's character is ridiculously naive and/or stupid to fall for Washington's excuses every time he screwed up again. Good cop/bad cop are just two of the stereotypes in the movie. Add to this countless "ghetto nigga"-clichés, a peaceful drug dealer who wants to quit the business and start a new life, and a bunch of brutal but honorable "gangstaz". This is no portrayal of reality, it's a kid's (or an ignorant white guy's) imagination of life in the drug squad.

What's worst is that the movie isn't even entertaining for the first hour or so. It's not until the third act, when we've finally accepted the stupid nature of the movie, that it gets a bit thrilling. It's still implausible and annoying how all of a sudden every character turns against the bad guy. I can't figure out how this shallow script convinced anybody. There are better dramas and there are way better cop movies out there. This "Training Day" is better soon forgotten.

Police crime drama classic

Author: Floated2
6 January 2016

Training Day, Denzel Washington pulls out all the stops and delivers a performance. Written by David Ayer and directed by Anthony Fuqua, Training Day grabs you. While the ending suffers from an overload of coincidences and contrivances, the movie still packs a wallop as it asks the question: Can honorable men deal with the worst of humanity on a daily basis without being corrupted?

Co-starring Ethan Hawke plays Jake Hoyt, a Los Angeles cop out to become detective. To that end, he tries to join an elite squad led by Alonzo Harris (Washington), an undercover officer legendary for his effectiveness. The hitch is that Jake has only one day to prove his worthiness to Alonzo. Even within his drug haze, the boy soon realizes that Alonzo is not merely an officer that plays fast and loose with the rules - he's a full-fledged rogue cop willing to do anything to get what he wants.

Some of the most harrowing moments take place in a neighborhood completely under the control of thugs. Alonzo lives there, convinced he is respected by his brutal neighbors due to his ability to work the system. In fact, they loathe the man and put up with him solely because of his badge and gun.

Taking place over the course of a single day, Training Day builds momentum and never backs off. The film creates and maintains a sense of genuine danger. As the proceedings grow ever more dark, you begin to wonder if the key players can possibly survive the day. Until the last 15 minutes, that is, when the story wraps up too quickly and in far too pat a fashion.

Jake Hoyt' from Valley patrol's Training Day of 24Hrs in the Narc unit run by dirty cop Alonzo Harris.

Author: Tonni-Pedersen from Denmark
15 November 2015

In the next 24hrs you will learn about the streets and you will be asking yourself the same question over and overs... Is there some kind of code for the police? And in this case when it comes to Narcs. Is there a code and a drawn line for how much you use that you are the law as an excuse to actually break the law? What do you do if somebody crossing that line... Training Day is one of the best and hardest film i have ever seen. When it comes to the violence, blood and such yeah their might be a lot of movies that is wilder on that point. But Training Day is a very cold and also violence experience that leaves you with the code questions and a wild, mixed, weird feeling because you know that almost all of what you've just seen? Is real life and probably happens on a daily basis. Jake Hoyt (Ethan Hawke) is from Valley Patrol, he is married and he's got a daughter an infinite child to be 100% correct. Finally the opportunity to get higher in the police ranges has come which is in a narc unit run by Alonzo Harris (Denzel Washington) And Jake has now 24Hrs to show what he is made of. Driving around with Alonzo does that Jake quiet fast finds out that something isn't like it is suppose to be and more than one episode or incident is not handle/played by the book. Soon he is sucked into a world that he didn't ask to be apart of, with dirty cops, tough decisions trapped in lots of dirt where only battle and yourself is your chance to get out! Master directed by Antoine Fuqua and an amazing screenplay/story-line by David Ayer with such an amazing cast where everybody from extras to the leads delivers real solid action through the whole movie. And the film shooting locations which is real ghettos. Number two of my favorite films, if you like/want to be really entertained, if you like realism, cold Action/Thriller Training Day will not disappoint you.

Outstanding film

Author: PopWashington from Melbourne
22 June 2015

I first watched this film 10 years ago and remember being very impressed.I watched it again the other day and it blew my socks off. This is a film for the ages.What sets it apart is not the riveting performance by Denzel Washington but the ensemble performance by all the actors in this film.Every word and gesture seems authentic and true.If you like observing people in all their complexity this is the film for you.It is very much a film about the 'mean streets' and it's violent inhabitants but this is no simple exploitation action film.It reminds of a play that was adapted for the screen in the way that every scene is carefully crafted and woven into a rich,complex narrative.

Huge fan

Author: marlowe poitier from United States
20 June 2015

I would just like to say I am a HUGE FAN of this film, & even go as far as to say that this film Singke handedly, with the work of the cast and crew, motivated me to Pursue a career in the Production industry. I am a huge fan of Denzel Washington, he brings a sense of discomfort and compassion together in such a manor one cannot fathom not watching to find out what will happen next. Perhaps the re watchable nature of the film is another reason the film is one of my all time favorites, there is so much going on and everything is so well put together new things are discovered even on the 1,00000 time watching it. The directors name speaks for it self on this one and it is often the first film I ask people if they have ever seen because far to many have not !

Great film!

Author: joshuadrake-39480 from Springfield, TN
12 May 2015

Training Day is a good movie and I think it is a good movie for all of the right reasons.

The plot is very interesting.

It follows two LAPD narcotics detectives named Jake Hoyt and Alonzo Harris over a twenty four-hour in the gang neighborhoods of North West and South Central Los Angeles and they ride around the block, do some cop work and this leads into a very good and intense ending.

The acting is amazing in this film.

Ethan Hawke plays Jake Hoyt and he did incredible in all of his scenes, including that fight he had with Denzel Washington at the end of the film and I am surprised that he did not win the Academy Award for Best Supporting Actor for his part. He deserved that Oscar and I will forever be mad that he did not get it.

The real credit is given to the man himself, Denzel Washington, who I reviewed as The Equalizer in the 2014 film based on the television series of the same name.

Denzel Washington plays the villain Alonzo Harris really amazing and his performance was just top-notch and very amazing and not only he played that part amazingly, he did a great job with the dialogue written for him at the end when all of the gang members turn against him after letting Ethan Hawke's character got home and the scene where he was shot by Russian gang members just had me wanting to cry the first time I saw this film.

He won the Oscar for Best Actor and he was spectacular in the role and it is a departure from his usual roles that he played and he would play Frank Lucas in the 2007 film American Gangster and he did a really amazing job.

The rest of the cast, nothing more to say about them, but they all do great, especially Dr. Dre and Snoop Dogg in the screen time that they have.

The music by Mark Mancina is just amazing and I listen to the musical score and soundtrack for this film on my phone and it sounds really good in the film and I could have not been more happier.

Overall, I love Training Day. It is a fine example of what police dramas should be and this film does not get enough credit.

8.5/10

King Kong ain't got sh*t on this movie !!!

Author: Raymond Karago from Los Angeles, California
15 April 2015

One thing I will say about this film is that it has some of the best one liners ever put on film. I would say that you would have to watch this film for the one liners that Alonzo (Played by Denzel Washington) spills.

The film as itself is a lot of fun but it still has some flaws. Overall praise has to go to Denzel Washington, who is loving every minute of his performance as the villain. He does all the villain clichés, smiling, laughing and ranting, things you just love to see villains do. However, they don't just make him bad, the brilliant writing also makes him a complex character, giving a twisted morale compass. You actually question his sanity because, despite all the evil things he does, he actually thinks he is doing the right thing, its performances like this that remind me why Denzel Washington is my favorite actor and can do almost no wrong.

The film also does well at setting atmosphere, you really get a sense of these places in fact I even read that they had filmed in areas such as Compton. The appearances by Dr. Dre and Snoop Dogg were awesome and well place and I loved the Latino gangsters that Hoyte has to face at the end of the film, one of them played by Cliff Cirtus who I believe can play any ethnic group.

However, I do have one issue with the film and that is its secondary character, Hoyte, played by Ethan Hawke. Don't get me wrong, I will take nothing away from Hawke's performance but they made the character of Hoyte so bland and predictable, the goody goody, always does right and I know thats what they were going for but they could have made him more interesting, maybe he is tempted by Alonzo and almost turns to the dark side or at the end of the film, something to make him more complex, particularly after all he has gone through.

Overall, if you like cop/crime thrillers then you will definitely enjoy this, if you want something with a lot of depth this may not be for you but hey, watch and make your own conclusion.