IMDb > Training Day (2001) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Training Day

Training Day More at IMDbPro »

Page 3 of 64: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [Next]

Didn't like it much

Author: sllovejoy from California USA
12 June 2002

I thought the bad guy was "too bad". Maybe there are people in the world who are that bad, but I don't find movies about them very interesting. I did not see any complexity in his character at all, and no redeeming qualities - the witch in Wizard of Oz was more likeable.

As for the "good cop", he was just a greedy wimp. (SPOILERS) Sure, he turns down the buttload of money he's offered after the bad guy kills the drug dealer... but does that matter? Through most of the movie he puts up with or participates in illegal activities "against his will" - why? - because he wants to work his way up the ladder to a better job - why? - for the MONEY. "You should see the houses THEY live in" he says to his wife in the first scene. He acts so righteously offended by the bad cop right from the beginning, but goes along and goes along because he wants to attain his career goals. Some moral high-ground, huh?

The bad cop was bad right from the start - the rookie had no reason to respect him, take his advice, or want to follow in his footsteps. I much prefer corruption movies where the bad guy's evilness slowly leaks out into the story, and where the rookie at first has reason to trust and respect him. The moral dilemma and internal conflict of having to change your view of someone is just much more interesting than knowing from the start that he's a jerk.

So the two main characters just left me feeling nothing except annoyed.

Then, there's the plot. I found too many things hard to swallow - that Washington's character was so very very bad and had apparently never been caught at it (yeah, there are corrupt cops, but this was too much), that he would involve the rookie in THAT MUCH corruption on his first day as a "test" of his character, that Washington's character thought even for a second that the rookie would just buy into his bulls*** and cover for him... I thought it was contrived and basically made no sense.

The only thing that I *did* like plot-wise was the most contrived thing of all - the young woman the rookie saved turning out to be the cousin of the man who later would have killed him. Now THAT'S a contrivance I would have liked if the rest of the movie hadn't annoyed me so much. Sure, it's totally unrealistic, but at least it had some sort of point to make.

All in all, it kept me awake and provided minimal entertainment. It was interesting seeing Washington being a bad man. But I wouldn't see it again or recommend it.

unrealistic and disappointing

Author: submerged99 from united states
20 January 2003

*Spoilers*

I watched Training Day a few days ago and thought the movie had some major plot holes and wasn't impressed by DW's perfomance.

"King Kong aint got nothing on me?" come on... I can think of other characters he's played that were much better than his Training Day character...Alonzo.

I was wondering why the whole elaborate set-up for Hoyt (Ethan Hawke) to take the fall. Why didn't Alonzo simply shoot Scott Glenn, take his money, and leave the body until someone discovered it and conclude Glenn killed by robbers?

Also, after when they were in Glenn's house, they dug a big hole in his kitchen to get the money that had been buried in a chest. They cut through the floor with an ax and dug it out. After Alonzo shoots his partner, they radio the dispatch to tell them an officer has been shot.

This would've gotten an immediate response from all cops in the area. How did they fill in the hole in the kitchen so quickly and replace the floor boards they chopped up witht he ax? If they didn't do that and the hole was still uncovered..it seems like a homicide detective would have been somewhat curious about it and would have asked questions.

Plus, they tell the officers that Hoyt was shot Glenn and the cops don't take him in for questioning and let him continue on his shift. It's seems like he would've at the very least been taken off his shift until internal affairs investigated the shooting.

Next, Alonzo leaves Hoyt with some gangsters, assuming they were going to kill hoyt. How did Alonzo plan to explain that to his supervisors? He abandons his partner on the first day, his partner disappears and no one would think twice about it?

Police Chief"Detective Alonzo, your partner is missing, he never clocked out of his shift and his wife and family want to know what happened to him. Can you tell us what happened to your partner and why you never reported his disappearance to us?"

Detective Alonzo"Chief, I went to see some Mexican gangsters with Hoyt, while we were still on duty. When I was ready to leave, Hoyt was playing cards with the gangsters and drinking with them. He was having such a good time that I decided to let him stay. I didn't think it was important and that's why I never reported it to anyone."

I guess I could go on and on about this movie but I was extremely disappointed with it and expected more out of it.

Oscar winning performance by Denzel Washington...

Author: lakshmi kanth vizzu from India
6 May 2011

Training Day is one of the best cop movie ever made..also an intense and uncompromising crime thriller...It astonishingly visualizes the dark side in LAPD....Denzel steals the show by his performance....this might just be his masterpiece..

Denzel played a role of a narcotics cop named Alonzo and this character is one of the most menacing villains to hit the screen, and it's all because of Denzel..

Ethan Hawke done his best but Denzel steals the show away from him...

Plot is very clear and picking up irrelevant plot holes is pointless..

Another good thing of movie is dialogues..Just imagine powerful dialogues with worlds finest actor...

Its the best Hollywood's finest actor can offer Go watch it now...

If you really liked the movie check out the DVD with the extras..

My Rating 9/10...

Top-notch 20th century gangster movie.

Author: walion from Bulgaria
7 February 2016

With its authenticity "Training Day" shows us that "the street" can yank anyone to the gangster street life, a life that only the most callous killers and criminals are living. It's simple - carry a gun if you want, but it will not help you. There is a rule saying - "It does not matter what you know, It matters what you can prove".

This gangster-policeman relationship kind of movie is brought to us by the director Antoine Fuqua, who also after 13 years would bring to life "The Equalizer". Written by David Ayer (one of the screenplay producers of the Oscar winning movie "U-571") "Training Day" unfolds the story of Det. Alonzo Harris (Denzel Washington) - an LAPD narcotics officer, and his colleague - the rookie Jake Hoyt (Ethan Hawke). Alonzo and Jake have to deal with the tough street gangsters and the drugs that they are spreading all over LA.

"The street", as shown here, can change everyone for less than 24 hours. Once becoming a member of one of the street gangs you can never go back again. There are no law rules on the street - the guns are the law.

Gritty, thoughtful police drama with an outstanding performance by Denzel Washington

Author: Screen_Blitz from United States
28 January 2016

This unflinchingly realistic police drama takes viewers into the dangerous world of drug dealing that runs rampant in the streets of South Central Los Angeles and where is a subject on nearly every street of the area. Along the side, this film also gives viewers an inside look at the corruption of law enforcement and police brutality that remains a major issue in the United States today. The film places Ethan Hawk in the role of Jake Hoyt, a rookie cop who ventures on a 24- hour 'ride along' with veteran narcotics detective Alonzo Harris (played by Denzel Washington). Cruising through the dirty, crime-ridden streets of Los Angeles, Harris pulls Hoyt in the grueling of crime and drug-busting. However, when Alonzo's lines between right and wrong become blurred and his bold decisions put Hoyt's life at risk, Hoyt soon find himself in a dangerous game of survival. This film is directed by Antoine Faqua and written by David Ayer who would later go on write and direct many other cop dramas.

Not many films portray the harrowing reality of the law enforcement as realistically as this one does, and this film does not shy away from the dark side of police corruption as we watch the characters venture through the sordid streets of the South Los Angeles suburbs and experience the violence and gang activity that consumes these neighborhood. Thanks to Denzel Washington who breaks his usual good- guy typecasting to portray a narcotics cop who suffers significant ethical dilemmas and brings his first-time partner in jeopardy. The intensity of his character drives the plot in a long run, to the crescendo in the last half hour of the film At one point during the training, his character busts two teenagers for possession in marijuana with phencycldine, upon taking it he smokes it and then offers it to Ethan Hawke's character who in response smokes it. This scene immediately leaves you questioning on who his character is and leaves you with thoughts that this character could be up to no good. Denzel Washington gives an outstanding performance as Detective Alonzo Harris. Throughout the film, Washington is just drowned out in his role with such powerful effort. It is quite astonishing to see him play in a villainous role so well after watching him play in good-guy roles in his other works. Ethan Hawke does a magnificent job here too. He is shown to be very committed in what is arguably the best role of his career, and his talent shines bright here.

Training Day is a highly entertaining movie and a textbook addition to the police drama genre. Complete with mesmerizing performances by Denzel Washington and Ethan Hawke, powerful directing by Antoina Faqua, and a spectacular screenplay by David Ayer; Training Day definitely hits home.

Great movie!

Author: joshuadrake-91275 from Clarksville, TN, United States
22 September 2015

Training Day is a good movie and I think it is a good movie for all of the right reasons.

The plot is very interesting.

It follows two LAPD narcotics detectives named Jake Hoyt and Alonzo Harris over a twenty four-hour in the gang neighborhoods of North West and South Central Los Angeles and they ride around the block, do some cop work and this leads into a very good and intense ending.

The acting is amazing in this film.

Ethan Hawke plays Jake Hoyt and he did incredible in all of his scenes, including that fight he had with Denzel Washington at the end of the film and I am surprised that he did not win the Academy Award for Best Supporting Actor for his part. He deserved that Oscar and I will forever be mad that he did not get it.

The real credit is given to the man himself, Denzel Washington, who I reviewed as The Equalizer in the 2014 film based on the television series of the same name.

Denzel Washington plays the villain Alonzo Harris really amazing and his performance was just top-notch and very amazing and not only he played that part amazingly, he did a great job with the dialogue written for him at the end when all of the gang members turn against him after letting Ethan Hawke's character got home and the scene where he was shot by Russian gang members just had me wanting to cry the first time I saw this film.

He won the Oscar for Best Actor and he was spectacular in the role and it is a departure from his usual roles that he played and he would play Frank Lucas in the 2007 film American Gangster and he did a really amazing job.

The rest of the cast, nothing more to say about them, but they all do great, especially Dr. Dre and Snoop Dogg in the screen time that they have.

The music by Mark Mancina is just amazing and I listen to the musical score and soundtrack for this film on my phone and it sounds really good in the film and I could have not been more happier.

Overall, I love Training Day. It is a fine example of what police dramas should be and this film does not get enough credit.

8.5/10

The power of Denzel

Author: SnoopyStyle
18 August 2015

LAPD narcotics detective Alonzo Harris (Denzel Washington) takes rookie detective Jake Hoyt (Ethan Hawke) on his training day. Alonzo is a harsh spoken street-wise cop pushing the envelop in South Central L.A. Mostly he goes right over the edge.

This is all Denzel all the time. It's his relentless power. There's no logic or plot worthy of following. That's not the point of this movie. The audience is Ethan Hawke as he tries at first to submit to the Denzel hurricane. Then we're trying gather our feet in the storm. Finally we have to make a decision about his character. This is a tour-de-force performance from Denzel and nothing less.

If I could only use one word to describe this movie: BADASS

Author: Gustavo Schroeder A
3 July 2015

Training Day is a brutal, violent film. But it is a film that doesn't hold anything back and forces the viewer to take it as it is. There are no clichés, nothing feels sappy, and it is a hard experience for the viewer at times to see the reality of the streets of L.A. and its corruption depicted in this movie.

Powered by an amazing performance from Denzel Washington, the man's performance was 100% Oscar-worthy. It is one of those few performances that it doesn't feel like the man's acting, it just seems natural and you think that he IS the character. Ethan Hawke is not bad at all in the film, he's actually pretty good but he lives in the shadow of Denzel's performance in this movie.

A lot of people complain about the ending, for some reason. I can only say Training Day is as real as a film can get: it is bloody, brutal, nasty and I love every minute of it.

One Word...Classic!

Author: OrigKRN from United States
30 June 2015

First off Denzel Washington was amazing! This is truly one of his finest movies ever. You must watch this if you are a Denzel Fan! His portrayal of his role as a police officer is just simply amazing.

This movie is straight up action, crazy thrills and a huge roller coaster like feeling! It is a classic police movie but with a bad boy twist. You will feel like a troublemaker but also a hero at the same time when you are done watching this! The movie shows how far people are truly willing to go for their life. Your eyes will never close for a single second because something interesting is always happening! Hey people love things always happening. Hands down simply amazing!

Good

Author: Brandon Santana from United States
18 October 2014

Denzel Washington and Ethan Hawke did a Amazing job in this movie, They made it seem real like it's natural to them. The Plot, The Directing, Production and writing was done well. From the beginning I was hooked to the movie I didn't want to take my eyes of it. Fanatics of Crime, Thriller and Drama Films will find this movie interesting, I recommend it to everyone though, I believe any person can find this movie entertaining. I could watch this movie again and won't get tired of it. Anyone who hasn't seen it find a way to watch it, I guarantee it won't waste your time. I gave it a 8 out of 10 for the reasons I mentioned. Overall a good movie.