IMDb > Training Day (2001) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Training Day

Training Day More at IMDbPro »

Page 15 of 65: [Prev][10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [22] [23] [24] [25] [Next]

Smiles And Cries.

Author: derekdiercksmeier from United States
12 November 2012

Antoine Fuqua Is A Very Talented Filmmaker And "Training Day" Is His Finest Film. Ethan Hawke Plays A Rookie Cop Who Is Training To Be A Narcotics Officer In The LAPD And Denzel Washington Co-Stars As The Highly-Decorated Officer Assigned To Train Him. First Of All, The Two Leads Are Absolutely Fantastic. Hawke Delivers The Best Performance Of His Career As Jake Hoyt. As Rookie Hoyt, Ethan Hawke Is Never Stiff Or Inauthentic. Washington Is Amazing In The Role Of Detective Sergeant Alonzo Harris. Denzel Washington Practices Total Role Immersion In This Film And After A While You Forget You're Watching A Movie Star And Just Get Lost In His Brilliant Performance. The Film Is Shot In Such A Gritty And Compelling Way Which Lends The Film Such Gravity And Realism. David Ayer's Script Is Intelligent, Taut, And Totally Fearless. As Good As The Script May Be, The Performances Of Hwake And Washington Elevate The Film To Riveting Heights. Everyone Knows That Denzel Washington Is A Great Actor, He Won The Academy Award For This Role, But Anyone Who Doubts The Talents Of Ethan Hawke Will Be Stunned By The Great Performance That He Delivers In This Film. The Story Is Compelling, Even If The Ending Is Less Than Satisfying. I Highly Recommend "Training Day" For The Powerful Filmmaking On Display And The Terrific Performances By Ethan Hawke And Denzel Washington.

Not the first day one would expect to have

Author: MovieNewsAndUpdates from India
4 November 2012

Firstly I must say I am surprised to have not seen this incredible movie till date. But better late than never. So after finally watching the movie i am writing this review. The best part about training day is that it grips you from the very first scene. It doesn't give time for you to sink in and get absorbed in the semi dark appeal of it (which at least i felt). It engages from the first scene and confuses you at various moments leaving you mystified as to what exactly will the next scene be (something i assume that every movie buff loves - unpredictability). Denzel Washington like always delivers an incredible performance. But its Ethan Hawke who stands up and delivers a performance equally good as his co-star. The story is well written and aptly portrayed. My favorite moment in the movie is the conversation of the two leads after having interrogated a woman in her house

Decent film!

Author: Johan Devenpeck (j-devenpeckjr) from Netherlands
23 February 2012

I hate to break the news to you guys but cops like Alonzo ARE OUT THERE and need to be acknowledged. Acting like the problem doesn't exist does not solve it. You don't have to go that deep to know that Alonzo was once a good cop who just got fed up w/ 'police procedures.' If you acknowledge that Jake's shallow-mindedness at the beginning of the film only allows him to look at the perks of making detective and how the progress of the day transforms him, you can really appreciate Ethan's portrayal of him. Let's face it, a bad day at the office when you're a narcotics detective differs greatly from that of an office executive and the different stresses can warrant different results.

Even the street rhetoric was authentic. Maybe you guys need to get out of the 'burbs more. You guys didn't actually expect eloquent dialogue with little or no profanity, did you? The only part of this movie I struggle with is Dr. Dre's terrible overacting and that isn't nearly enough to take away from the overall result.

Modern classic

Author: sondanielshah from Netherlands
9 September 2011

There are 2 scenes in this movie that will just always stay with you:

1- The bathtub scene 2- Alonso's "Kingkong" speech

The acting is superb. Denzel seems really comfortable in his role as bad cop and Ethan Hawke is the perfect casting for the insecure rookie that gets confronted with challenge and choice between good and bad every 10 minutes or so in the movie.

What I also find really well done is the fact that the entire movie takes place during one day and not more. It really adds to the tension and realism of it all.

Wonderful movie...anyone who likes action without too much special effects will love this movie.

You wanna go to jail or you wanna go home?

Author: Davyd Teather from North Vancouver, BC, Canada
7 July 2011

"Training Day" is a very awesome movie. This is one of the best cop movies to come out of Hollywood in years. Denzel won an academy award for best actor for his role as Alonzo Harris. And he deserved it. Ethan Hawke was nominated an academy award for best supporting actor for his role as Jake Hoyte but he did not win it. I thought he did an outstanding job. In this movie, Denzel Washingtons role was not his usual good guy roles. He plays a police officer who was once a good cop who now administrates his own brand of justice and is fed up with by the book police procedures. He is more mean than the mean streets he is supposed to be shaking down. This movie has a good plot, top notch acting, the cinematography is well done and it is very well paced. If you are a fan of Denzel Washingtons films, I would recommend Training Day. It is definitely worth a watch and time well spent.

He Don't Need No Training

Author: thesar-2 from United States
14 November 2010

Much like Nicole Kidman in To Die For, this Training Day was a Denzel Washington vehicle. Both movies were ho-hum, but held the character of a lifetime and is highly recommended just on their command performance.

This is not to underplay Hawke's almost (90%) equally acting – he was very good, himself, but Washington was so good, that when I first saw this back in 2001, long before the Oscar Nominations were announced, I said: "He better both be nominated and win." On a side note, unfortunately for Washington Fans – he has tried to recapture this high since and that's made me very sad to say I once was a devote Washington follower. Meaning: almost every role since 2001's Training Day, he has screamed "OSCAR!" without acting much.

But, I digress, this is about Training Day, a good (again, not great) film, but one you should see concerning the troubling day both Rookie Hoyt (Hawke) and Harris (Washington) are having.

Eager to please and diligent to keep his job for his growing family, Hoyt is joining the narcotics hard-core L.A. team, but he needs to deal with drama-filled Harris, who may (or may not) be on the take with the crooks he's paid to take down. (Watch FX's excellent series The Shield for further adventures on the same plane.) You see, Harris might be in over his head with a deal/incident gone wrong in Las Vegas, pissing off the wrong people, despite his demeanor. And he must trust the Clark Kent'ish Hoyt if he's to get away with it.

That's pretty much it. I don't want to spoil much more than that, and the fact I brought up The Shield, which covers pretty much the same ground. That's pretty much it…for the plot. Watch this fantastic performance from Denzel who, up to this point of his excellent career, hadn't played a true baddie. And he does it in spades. It's worth the Orientation Day for him alone.

Training Day

Author: Angelus2 from United Kingdom
17 October 2010

Detective Alonzo Harris believes he is in the wild west, having to bend and break rules to keep peace on the streets, but new recruit, Jake Hoyt is not too comfortable with Alonzo's radical approach.

This is a film about the mean streets and the things that need to be done to survive, but I did not find this film the least bit interesting, Hoyt character was far too much of a coward, and Alonzo was just annoying, maybe that was Denzel's intention...Eva Mendez was stunning as ever, here her appearance is limited, the one aspect of the film I did find interesting was the deal with the Russians, I felt more could have been emphasised about Alonzo's money problem. Having a bunch of rappers make appearances did not give the film any real credibility..I expected better from Mister Washington....But the end scene was great, as Alonzo met his fate.

That's all?

Author: RainDogJr from Mexico City
1 September 2009

Training Day is, as you already know, set in only one day in Los Angeles and is about a rooster (Ethan Hawke's character: the rookie cop Jake Hoyt) and a wolf (Denzel Washington's character: the experienced big narcotics detective Alonzo Harris). Is as simple as this: the film begins and is sort of having the experienced big detective who certainly knows how is that world opening the eyes of the rookie who just wants to track down big drug dealers, who just wants to do a good for the society. The transition we have is that Jake stops seeing Alonzo as the type of dude he has to learn a whole lot from to can deal with the new type of world he is entering and be successful and starts seeing Alonzo as nothing but a criminal that well tried to kill him, if at one point Jake smoked some weed because Alonzo said to him, in other things, that a good narcotics agent must know and love narcotics at one point Jake will go for his revenge. Saw bits of the making of documentary from the DVD…incredible level of reality? Unforgettable minor characters? Not quite (the part with everybody turning their backs on Alonzo is like from a kids movie!); the acting of both Denzel and Ethan is good of course, pretty much their acting is the very best thing of the film, I mean I didn't found unforgettable and memorable characters in the ones played by Snoop Dog, Dr. Dree and well anybody else. It's a watchable film that once is over, well let's see, recently I bought the double feature DVD with both Training Day and Fallen (also with Denzel Washington and directed by Gregory Hoblit) just because I wanted to see again Antoine Fuqua's film again after many years (I remember seeing it when it was brand new as a rental). In that DVD Training Day is pretty much the main attraction and Fallen the bonus, minor feature (I never heard a thing before about Fallen), the Side A with "Day" has much more extras and stuff. Now that I saw Fuqua's film pretty much Fallen has all the chances to become the only reason for me to say something like "well, buying that DVD was a great choice" since basically by the end of Training Day I was like "that's all?", certainly for me now Fallen has not a really good contender for being the best out of the two films on the DVD but I will see.

Excellent display of corruption.

Author: insomniac_rod from Noctropolis
30 December 2008

Training Day is a the perfect example of corruption, violence, and drug dealing issues inside police.

Alonso Harris is a character that will be always remembered for it's realism; people like him sadly exist. Is it for low incomes? Is it for the desire of power? "Training Day" perfectly explains Alonso's behavior through many violent scenes that not necessarily deal with phyiscal violence, but also with drug abuse, corruption, sexual matters, and also display situations that start with home.

The movie is very intelligent because through Ethan Hawke's character we learn that not every single cop member is the same; in fact, the good cops follow a long hard road before becoming corrupt and more. Through his character, we learn that not only good intentions are needed to fight against crime...

So "Training Day" is in my opinion one of the best cop movies ever made because it doesn't follow the typical "cop features" and goes further and insert sub-plots that satisfy the new millennium tendencies.

Please watch Denzel Washington's extraordinary performance. Also, there are many interesting cameos like from Snoop Dogg.

A Movie 'MADE' for an actor like Denzel

Author: muhammad-uz-rauf from United States
26 August 2008

I love movies like this and Im sure Denzel Washingtons enjoyment of acting in this movie greatly assisted him in achieving the Oscar for best actor. The movie is intense and I can't pass on a picture about a corrupt police officer and who better than Denzel. I was gripped to the screen the entire time. He has always done a great performance with movies involving gangsters and the ghettos, the violent sides of society. His being a police officer added a bunch to the movie and really increased the interest. He is actually a gangster at heart yet is a cop so feels he has power over people and may do whatever he wishes.