IMDb > Training Day (2001) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Training Day

Training Day More at IMDbPro »

Page 13 of 65: [Prev][8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [22] [23] [Next]

Excellent

Author: slash from Bucharest, Romania
15 January 2009

This is one of the best movies I ever saw. It was a long time since I saw a such a good movie. First when I heard about this movie I thought that is another 'gangsta movie' with a boring story, a gang war or something like that, in the first 15 or 20 minutes I was a bit disappointed but after this I've realized that is a great movie.

I thought at this movie o hole day after I saw it,is so close to reality, it is like a reality show or a flagrant made by police with a hidden camera, i never thought a movie like this is possible,makes us think at the life we livin', at the society as it is, naked, without any clothes on it. The movie has a few errors, but at a movie with such a story does not matter a few issues, practically the story and the mode the movie is made "repairs" the issues keeping you close to screen that you can't see them. Denzel Washington plays awesome, I haven't seen somebody playing so good in this kind if role since Al Pacino in Scarface, I'm sure that if a person that doesn't know Denzel Washington as an actor, watches how he plays, that person will probably tel you that is a men taken from the streets, not an actor. Ethan Hawke plays great to, he was probably deserving an Oscar at the time but perhaps it was just bad luck.

It's an excellent movie with a great story that is waiting for entering Top 250, if you wanna see an exceptional movie you should watch this, I can't find my words to describe it so I probably have to end my comment here.

Great authentic movie

Author: slimakasoldado from United States
4 July 2008

Although the subject matter in Training Day may be unfavorable to acknowledge, the movie is still significant because of the quality of work throughout this film. One of the most authentic depictions of the streets in recent memory. The gangsters in this movie act like they came right off the corner. I think it is important that people realize that this movie is not at all far fetched when you consider the Rampart scandal and the story of "corrupt cop", Rafael Perez and the "boy scout" detective that eventually blew the whistle on this corrupted department. Rap fans would be interested to know that this same Rafael Perez and one of his colleagues David Mack have been linked to Death Row CEO Suge Knight and many loosely suspect they had some hand in the rocky events that eventually led to Tupac and Biggie's deaths. Great performances by Denzel and Ethan. To me this movie is hard to look at for some people because the injustice it shows never affected them and in a sense they either feel guilty for it in a way or they just despise the whole environment but whether you chose to accept it or not you can't hide from this movie because the subject matter is relevant and the movie's quality is exceptional.

Great movie, Great Acting. It keeps you guessing...

Author: aerixu from Singapore
14 December 2006

This is one of the best movie i have watched and Denzel washington's acting is top-notch as usual. Denzel's character is hard to figure out and its not until the end of the movie that u know what he truly is. But throughout the whole movie u'd try to make guesses on what kind of person he is because of what happens and what he does. Ethan Hawke also played a great performance as a rookie cop who just wants to be detective. The language in the movie is very vulgar. But that just makes it more realistic. And the violence, i'd say there was not much of it. Oh but there were a few pretty violent scenes. I'm used to seeing Denzel as the good guy and seeing him spouting vulgarities and being kinda crooked, its a surprise. But he does it really good to because the whole show is about manipulation and u dunno if denzel's character really is telling the truth or is he just out to play u. The movie isn't that famous i think but this is the kind of movie for mature adults.

Unbelievable coincidence

Author: mcgriswald from Tampa
26 January 2007

In Altman's "The Player" there is a subplot that involves a writer of a film who insists that his film retains his dark "non-Hollywood" ending--he is adamant during his pitches that "life is like that" and that people don't always live and that endings aren't always happy. He ends up selling out, and his movie has a stereotypical Hollywood ending in which a character played by Bruce Willis pulls a daring last second rescue of the formerly doomed heroine, played by Julia Roberts, complete with snappy exchange between the characters.

In "Training Day" there is a unrealistic coincidence that allows Ethan Hawke's character to survive a situation where he should have died; I immediately thought about "The Player". I can hear the producers insisting that the hero (Hawke) survive, and that the villain (Washington) get a comeuppance. They may have shot an ending in which Hawke dies, and Denzel Washington's character goes on leading his corrupt life, but like in "The Player", it "didn't test well" with audiences in an advanced screening.

I also was never convinced that Denzel could be so rotten, the fact that he always played heroes weighed on my ability to suspend disbelief, but that is my own subjective opinion. Denzel certainly played the character well, but I am not alone in my opinion that the Academy gave him the Oscar as a "makeup" for his being passed over before.

What ruined the movie for me was the pat ending, and the coincidence that allowed it.

Watch it for Washington's performance; some well made, unpredictable scenes and let it just draw you in.

Author: johnnyboyz from Hampshire, England
4 August 2007

What we have with Training Day is a big mixture of: gangster, crime, cop/buddy and something close to resembling a ghetto drama all in one. Needless to say that all these aspects of the film work together in a reasonably effective way which, in the end, leaves you feeling satisfied. There are individual strokes of greatness but these are limited to things like Denzil Washington's performance who reminded me of a Wesley Snipes character out of something like 'New Jack City' (1991). There is also the element of unpredictability for the best part as relative rookie Jake (Hawke) gets put through some pretty harsh paces for the first forty minutes or so.

I came away from Training Day liking it overall but there were some distinct things that had me thinking to myself 'Yeah, I see exactly what they're trying to do here.' And this is relatable to the 'buddy/cop' sequence. Jake and Alonzo (Washington) are the absolute binary opposites of one another: you couldn't get two more different characters. One is a 'desk' cop who books illegally parked cars and probably takes the odd trip to the doughnut shop one too many times (although his build doesn't suggest this) whereas Alonzo is one of those cops you see in films and if you were ever going to become a law enforcer, you'd want to live their lifestyle: guns, girls and plenty of softly earned drug money. Although this is nothing new, it was refreshing to see it done in an unpredictable manner and of course, Washington's performance sees it out.

Secondly, the way in which each character acts – Jake seems sharper and wants to do everything by the book whereas Alonzo's methods include something more reminiscent of: instead of arresting two rapists, just threaten in an extreme manner to shoot their genitalia off if they catch them doing it again and let them go. Jake even talks and dresses differently and of course, Ethan Hawke is a white Caucasian American – Washington is coloured so these two characters make for great entertainment in an easily explosive situation when you've got two people so different in looks and lifestyles.

Thanks to some good film-making, certain situations of tension and spontaneity happen and are carried out well. These situations are also very awkward and since we're supposed to map onto the character of Jake more so than Alonzo, we do sort of feel what he's feeling – again, this is thanks to Washington's amazing performance; especially when he either forces Jake to take a smoke of some drugs or when someone is unexpectedly shot and Jake is panting heavily or even when they drive though a bad neighbourhood and Alonzo states: 'Don't you ever come here without me' as black ghetto gangsters eye up the vehicle. Although this manipulates our opinions on Jake as a bit of a wimp and further makes us think Alonzo is sort of invincible, the payoff for thinking these things is great – the filmmakers make us think of one thing so much that all the odds seemed stacked against us later on.

What was also clever is the way in which the film can change so dramatically – although not entirely realistic all the time, one situation or setting can very quickly change in an instant. This could include when Jake is in big trouble with some Mexican gangsters but gets out of jail thanks to a previous deed that he did. Although this was a bit of a fluke, it would still be possible in the tightly knitted world of crime that particular city possesses. Although these changes are unpredictable and entertaining, lines must be drawn somewhere especially in which the finale is played out: where several characters seem to switch sides to team up with a guy who they've known of for about twelve hours, which was a little unbelievable.

In the long run, Training Day is a very entertaining film that doesn't cover too much ground in terms of innovation or anything deeper than that but it is a clever example of how to suck an audience in and play with them later on.

Denzel deserved his Oscar

Author: dcameli from United States
2 September 2008

I had never heard of the movie Training Day, until after I saw A Beautiful Mind. Then I had only heard of it because I could not believe how Russell Crowe could have lost the Oscar for best actor. So I researched some critic reviews on Training Day, got my snacks, rented the movie, and sat down to try to figure out why Mr. Washington beat Mr. Crowe.

Boy it did not take me long. The very first scene in which Denzel Washington's Alonzo appears, grabbed my attention and made me stand back and say "Okay, I think I'm going to like this performance". However, not only was I absolutely blown away by Mr. Washington's potrayl of a cooked cop, but I found the movie to be extremely enjoyable. Ethan Hawke was a perfect contrast to Washington, and the director and writer did a great job of capturing the feel of such a neighborhood.

It's still hard for me to say that Russell Crowe did not deserve to win, however after seeing this movie and knowing what a great actor Mr. Washington is, I can honestly say that I have no complaint with his victory. It was a tough decision to make between the two, but in the end I am glad Mr. Washington got his Oscar.

how about a nice ice cream Sunday??

Author: DonutLover from United States
20 February 2007

After watching this movie, I needed some chocolate, or something fun and silly, to get the "ick" out of my brain. There is really only one, or two movies which I have ever seen which have disturbed me in this way, and this is one of them. (The other was "Death Wish", which I saw when I was 19 yrs. old, so it's understandable why it was so disturbing). Why this movie was so disturbing can be summed up in three reasons: 1) a cop never surrenders his gun. Why? why? why is the gun surrendered? The fact that the viewer can understand, that the young officer is trying to trust the corrupt Denzel, is probably what is so disturbing. We KNOW he is blowing it, he should NEVER hand over his gun. And somewhere in his gut, he knows it too.

2) The images of the Mexican dude's house, the home, where the rape/murder was going to take place. There was a wife in the home, there were babies in the home, there were crucifixes on the wall. Yet, a disgusting, unacceptable crime was going to occur in the bathroom. Yuck.

3) The fact that I, as a viewer, thought that maybe Denzel really was a good guy, and that maybe his "way" was the way, to get the job done, the job of a good guy. So, in simple terms, the fact that I too, along with the new recruit, could have been tricked.

I know lots of folks liked this movie. I guess if it turned as many people on as much as it turned my stomach, it must have something!

Unbelievable, too over the top.

Author: mm-39 from Winnipeg
27 March 2002

This could be a good film, but I found this too over the top. Parts of the plot become weak, and the ending is too much. Why would they show a rookie too much on his first day? I can not see why Washington got an award for this one. There are bad cops out there, but if I wore the uniform I would find this movie insulting.

I wondered what it had to say, and then...

Author: youdontsmellbad from CA
14 October 2001

I saw previews for Training Day and foolishly deduced that it was a film with a message, something about street justice versus legal justice. That's not the only reason I'd see this kind of movie; it was just my preception. I didn't get what I expected but I did stay through the whole thing.

Denzel plays a psychopathic police officer (impersonator in my opinion) "training" Ethan on his first day as a rookie narc on his way to becoming a detective. Along the way Denzel spouts philosophical mumbo jumbo about street justice and about how he's the real cops and not the guys helping old ladies with their groceries, that sounds real good on previews -hey they got my seven dollars fair and square, right? Unfortunately on the way to possibly becoming something appealing intellectually, it back pedals and turns into an over-the-top action-suspense yarn.

In the end I was not satisfied, though I may have been had my expectations not been contrary to the true intentions of the movie. looking back, the best parts of the movie were probably the ones I enjoyed the least- the silly ones. Were I watching in a different state of mind this movie might have grown on me. But don't go out of your way to see it. There's always cable.

Another disgusting "Cop gone bad"

Author: MSF1146 from WASHINGTON D.C.
17 January 2003

I cannot believe DENZEL WASHINGTON could win an acting award for the vile, vulgar dialogue of his character.The main word in the movie was "dog" this & "dog" that.What a complete ton of garbage.The plot of the movie was fairly & cleverly thought out.However, there is a lot of warmed over milk with this police type theme.You can find dozens of 'cop' thrillers at the video store.What separates this movie from being average is the abhorrent language utilized by the feature character. Awards? Maybe for the worst dialogue by an academy award winner in history!