Training Day (2001) Poster

(2001)

In too deep
SlyGuy2117 February 2018
While I did like the contrast between the two main characters, and the conflict of their clashing personalities, the ending is a bit of a disconnect. The question of "How far is too far?" comes up a lot in this, and Hawke's morality driven mindset completely clashes with Denzel's self-centered one. The thing that holds the film together though is Denzel's heel turn as Alonzo Harris. The plot's good, Hawke is alright, but the most memorable part is Denzel. While his character is incredibly brutal in his tactics, and uncaring of those around him, you feel like he wasn't always this corrupt. Like he started this job with the same intentions as Hawke, but lost his way to madness. That's a good dynamic, the part with the Russian mob though, is a bit of a drawback. It's brought up about halfway through the movie with no real introduction, and it's never fully explained. It's like the conflict that was already there is swept under the rug for this faceless mob vs corrupt cop plot. The ending is also just kind of there. Denzel gets shot by the mob and dies, after somehow escaping a neighborhood that hates him holding him at gunpoint. Had it ended with Hawke walking away, and Denzel's rant being interrupted by a bullet, I think it would've ended better. "Training Day" is an interesting film, with some concepts and performances I can appreciate, but the ending and random Russian mob plot drag it down a little for me.
Tough, Tougher, Toughest
betty dalton15 February 2018
It doesnt get any tougher and more real than Training Day. One of Denzel Washingtons very best performances ever. If you like dirty cop movies and you havent seen this one yet, you will be in for a real treat.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Falls just short of a true crime thriller classic
StarWarsDisco14 February 2018
Let me start off by saying I loved this movie. It is an intense, non-stop crazy ride that feels absolutely authentic and dangerous down to every last gritty detail. Real tight direction by Antoine Fuqua. The performances are uniformly excellent, particularly by Denzel Washington in a well deserved Oscar winning performance. Give Ethan Hawke some love as well as he really stood his own with the titan Denzel. I won't divulge too much of the plot, as you can simply read the description. However, my only problem with this movie, and I've seen it twice now, is in a crucial part of story execution. I still don't understand, and maybe I'm just too dense to get it, what exactly Denzel's character did to get himself into trouble so that he ultimately had to abhorently sell out his partner.
Excellent movie!
jeffrymiranda-2585829 January 2018
This is a well-paced movie that shows what could be happening behind any law enforcement agency in the world. This shows a sub-world or subculture that we are not aware of, and once you're drawn into it the plot, you can't stop watching. Very well developed characters, story lines, plot, everything!
Great movie
Kenyae Kofi11 January 2018
This movie was great. It was an excellent performance by Denzel Washington! When watching this movie it was interesting to see Denzel be the corrupted cop attempting to corrupt the other cop and partner. Ethan Hawke also did an amazing job just learning what it's like to be in the hood and adapting to gangster culture. We also can see Denzel's character clearly was a man that lost his mind. It was interesting to see Snoop Dogg and Eva Mendez in this movie as well for a moment. I did not like the fact that the bad cop was the black guy, but realistically speaking I guess even the black cops are corrupted. It was interesting to see Jay the whole time be the good cop actually fighting for justice and you see how all corrupted people give you no choice but to be corrupted as well. Also, Denzel's character was very good in using lies and reverse psychology to control Jay's integrity. I loved seeing Jay gain not only his integrity back but he also kept his courage with him. I loved Lonzo's final speech and yelling with King Kong ain't got nothing on me. It was so enjoyable to watch the movie.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Training Day is worth watching, any day! It's a masterpiece.
ironhorse_iv21 December 2017
'King Kong ain't got sh*t on me!' That's sure, right! 'Training Day' was an amazing movie! Directed by Antoine Fuqua, and written by David Ayer, this neo-noir crime thriller, tells the story of a young naive LAPD officer, Jake Hoyt (Ethan Hawke) undergoing a nightmarish single day evaluation by corrupt, yet renowned and respected narcotics officer Alonzo Harris (Denzel Washington) who has big sinister plans for him. Without spoiling this movie, too much; while this good/bad cop film has amazing performances from both main & supporting actors like Ethan Hawke, Cliff Curtiss, Scott Glenn & others, much of the success of this movie has to go with how surprising good, Washington was as the villain. It's sad to think, that Denzel had to depart from his usual squeaky clean image, to win, an Oscar for best actor, but the performer really does shines in this type of roles. You can truly tell that, with his use of body language and tone. The way, Washington show, primeval street grit, with long, hard stern looks, loud boisterous charisma yelling, and disregard for the public safety, such as bumping into people as he walks, show how much of an utterly detestable character, Alonzo can be. No wonder, why most of the audience were so eagerly for his comeuppance, even if Denzel, personal, is so beloved. Yet, there was another part of the character, Washington was able to display, without the writer spending too much time on his character backstory, visually; which was showing empathy for Hoyt. You see this, whenever Jake does anything, valor and honest & Denzel having to react from that. Its shows the struggle of guilt, within Alonzo. It tells the tragic story of a mild-mannered, family man, slowly morphing into a ruthless criminal in a matter of a few words & stares. It's nearly perfect. Yet, there was a few flaws, with the character as a whole. Much of that, comes from the misuse of the source material, which 'Training Day' is loosely based on. While, Alonzo is somewhat based on real-life, corrupt Los Angeles, police officers, David Mack, Rafael Pérez & Kevin Gaines. Some of the actions, the character commits as a Narc Cop with Hoyt, throughout the film, just doesn't seem very plausible or realistic. They come across as too flashy, gimmicky and cartoonish, rather than smart street cops. One such example is the smoking, a confiscate drug scene. First off, it's a little hard to believe, that an officer like Hoyt that use to do patrols, would be that gullible and foolish, what it takes to become a narc. In most cases, police officers received an average of 41 hours up to 540 hours of instruction training before going into that field. There would be, no way, Hoyt would be that adequate. Secondary, it really doesn't make much sense that he would take the drug, knowing full well, that he was going to drug test in a few days & he wasn't dealing with any perps at that time. Third, it's highly bizarre, that Alonzo would plan out, for a whole week of stuff, on a specific one day plan that relies so much on the highly off-chance that Hoyt would take the drug, in order to blackmail him. Much of this movie could had be resolve in the first couple of minutes, with Hoyt, saying 'no'. Fourth, how in the hell was Alonzo's many crimes, overlook for so long!? I get that, he get stuff done in the department, but even if most of the department share the same corruption as the officer on the field; cops still have to write reports, submit a financial disclosure statement, undergo random drug testing, and pass recurring background investigations, yearly. There is no way, they can hide everything from the public & other government agencies. The corrupt cops would eventually get caught. Probably quicker than later, like what happen in real-life, with the Rampart scandal; which this movie is loosely based on. Also, none of the criminal sequences, throughout the day, felt anywhere near realistic. The idea that they easily find illegal drugs, as soon, as they pull a corner is far from truth. In real-life, Narc spend hours on end, on one, suspicious activity, with little to no pay-off, that a crime is being committed. Also, much of the crimes, portray in the film, felt more like step-up sequences, rather than isolate scenarios, which occurs more, likely. Regardless of that, I do have to fight against the claims from critics that this movie is nothing, but the continuous negative stereotype of minorities in film, by saying the movie does show that corruption happens in every level, regardless of class and race, such as the case in the restaurant scene & with Roger (Scott Glenn). As for the critics that says, Hoyt was nothing, but a ''white savior' cinematic trope whom job is it to rescue people of color from their downward plight. I also have to disagree with them, as the film shown in the end, Black & Hispanic communities, are willing to stand up against crime. Hoyt didn't make them, change. They did it on their own. Nevertheless, the film approach to women, could had been a little better. Most of the women in the film does nothing, but look and act like sleazy floozies. Sadly, actress, Eva Mendes is just there, for eye-candy and pointless nude scene. Still, that's a lot better than the jarring use of black musicians artists, like Macy Gray, Snoop Dog, and Dr. Dre, as criminals. That was awkward. Still, great use of their music in the soundtrack. Nevertheless, this strong Rated R movie, was an intense & compelling watch. While, this crime drama is not for everybody, due to rough language, graphic violence, drug use, and sexual references. It's still worth checking out, unlike the 2017's TV Series of the same name. Forget that show. Watch the movie, instead.
It's all about Denzel
A J...10 December 2017
One of the few Movies that keeps getting better every time you watch it!!!

Never thought much of Ethan Hawk. As an actor, especially. Still don't. However, Denzel.....Brilliant Actor.

He steals the Film from his first scene, to the end.

This movie is Unbelievably Entertaining!!!

I guarantee once you begin, You won't want to stop.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Washington and Hawke's powerhouse performances fuel this fantastic thriller that's masterfully realistic and breathlessly entertaining.
Pjtaylor-96-1380444 November 2017
It's a piece built around two powerhouse performances, the first being Denzel Washington's Oscar-winning turn as an unpredictably volatile veteran detective confidently walking on the wrong side of crooked and the second being Ethan Hawke's slightly over-looked (probably because it isn't as 'loud' as his co-star's) yet still deservedly Oscar-nominated rendition of a naively honest rookie who's determination to do things 'by-the-book' gets directly in the way of his desire to make detective, and it is the ever-changing relationship between these two equally interesting characters that drives the piece forward with a constant momentum that often amounts to edge-of-your-seat suspense; it's really thanks to the amazingly grounded and realistic script that the film is so effective, as every single line of dialogue feels incredibly natural and each word that is said adds to the overall narrative in some way, and the effortlessly entertaining picture becomes incredibly engaging by its pulse pounding third act to the point that its few issues can be easily ignored - truly a phenomenal piece of filmmaking. 8/10
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
phenomenal performances anchored by a tight script make this one a classic.
MitchellCombden31 August 2017
Training day is a classic film. it's difficult to find negatives here. the screenplay is tight and realistic. the acting is phenomenal, the run-time doesn't feel too short or too long, and in terms of production value the film is top notch. the sound and visuals are great. so lets get into the details of why everything is so great.

firstly, the performances are excellent. Ethan Hawke gives us a timid yet bold performance as the rookie narcotics agent who's not all that comfortable with the way his first day unfolds. his character's main goal is to become street ready and become the best cop he can possibly be. he starts out as a soft yet passionate officer who isn't very in tune with all of the street details that are required to perform the job. in scenes where he needs to be a little reserved and in his head, Hawke pulls it off. in scenes where he needs to be bold and charismatic, Hawke pulls it off as well. the key to the character is the outstanding morals he displays. he is at his core, a good man who seeks to do good. Denzel Washington's character is the polar opposite. the grizzled vet who knows what it takes and might cut some corners in order to get the job done. Washington is very charismatic and sells his characters motivations and morals perfectly. his character acts as the corrupting force that could be Ethan Hawke's characters undoing. the interplay between the characters moral differences is what drives the plot and keeps the story flowing smoothly and with consequence. each scene where a moral question comes into play could or could not affect Ethan Hawke's character in a major way. it's interesting to see how each scene plays out and how it will affect our perceptions of the characters as well as the perceptions that characters have of each other.

what really ties everything together though is the script. the screenplay allows for both the characters to propel the plot and the plot to propel the characters. it's this balancing act that makes the movie special. an event happens, we learn about our characters, they learn about each other which causes a new reaction or event and the story flows smoothly. every time Denzel's character teaches Hawke's character something, although it may be immoral or even insignificant at the time, it comes into play in the third act. Hawke's character grows and towards the end of the film becomes the cop that he set out to become. completing the character's arc and completing the story with a tightly wrapped bow.

it may not be on the level of the godfather or citizen Kane, but it sure is a great film and if you haven't seen it.. watch it.

0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
It's a thriller rather than a drama
soranamicooper8 August 2017
This film is billed as a drama (more specifically, a crime drama), which suggests a focus on character development rather than plot line with inevitable outcome. In fact, the characters lack depth, largely conforming to stereotype and I didn't get any real sense of motives for people's actions other than the obvious, cliché response to the immediate situation. I watched it due to its high score (7.7) and 'drama' billing, but it actually has the characteristics of a thriller rather than a drama. If you like that genre, you may well find it entertaining, but you won't learn much about the human condition.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
This is a fabulous movie
camilleaquene2 May 2017
If you're not watching this movie with your boss...you're doing work ALL wrong! Me and my boss love this movie (nope, we're not cops). I'm not going to give any spoilers or anything. It is one of Denzel's better movies in my own opinion, but I'm not a huge fan of his anyway. Due note that the first part is probably exactly what a cop would say. I really am not a cop.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Hard as a brick
putosamofficial31 March 2017
One thing, DENZEL! This is Denzel Washington at the top of his game, his acting in this movie is just so overly insane that you could quote or clip everything he says or do. Overall, the cinematography is very consistent with some really nice shots at some points, the storytelling is very well crafted and intriguing for a 2 hour movie that sticks you to the screen into a brutal but true world. To watch and reflect, probably the best hood movie ever.
Excellent Action / Thriller with Superb Lead Performances
85122229 March 2017
Greetings from Lithuania.

"Training Day" (2001) is definitely one of the most memorable action thrillers that came in a period 2001 - 2010. It has amazing acting by two leads, which is thousand times better then in your usual genre movie, acting by Denzel Washington and Ethan Hawke is one of the kind here. Denzel creates this Alonzo guy - a crooked cop on the edge so memorable, that it actually carries this movie in higher realms. No wonder he won Oscar for this performance, when usually no one wins Oscars for action movies - it is a statement of this performance is one of the kind. Directing by Antoine Fuqua was great as well as solid script by David Ayer. It is an intense, involving movie that you kinda can't stop watching no matter how many times you have seen it whenever you catch it on TV - it is that good.

Overall, "Training Day" is a great genre movie which goes above the rest genre movies because of a legendary performance by Denzel Washington. solid script and good directing. You can't ask more from a straightforward action thriller.
Denzel Shines. Worthy Oscar Nod - His 2nd
Glory was a breakthrough role for Denzel This is the 2nd best work he has done. I might mention that while I was studying theater at Lehman College, Denzel was still making his bones on Carbon Copy (with George Segal of Goldbergs fame) and St. Elsewhere. Unfortunately Denzel, I did not graduate from Fordham. Excellent work. 10 out of 10.

Where is David Morse today? LOL Everywhere!!
A revelation!!
beresfordjd12 March 2017
While I always knew that Denzel is one of the very best screen actors of the modern age, it was a revelation to see what a great villain he could be. That said, he was still Denzel the charmer as Alonzo in Training Day. We even began to believe that he was redeemable after he shot the Scott Glenn character as he explaining that that sort of thing was a necessary evil. I was annoyed that Eva Mendes was nominated for an award for an appearance that lasted seconds over all. Also cameos from Snoop, Macy and Dr Dre were totally redundant and distracted this viewer. They really do not have the chops for parts like that. Ethan Hawke was terrific in this film too and was the perfect foil for Mr Washington. It has been a long time since I saw TD originally and it impressed me greatly then. The impact has not lessened over the years.
0 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Great Acting by Hawke and Washington!!!
adonis98-743-1865034 February 2017
On his first day on the job as a Los Angeles narcotics officer, a rookie cop goes on a 24-hour training course with a rogue detective who isn't what he appears. I finally got to see Training Day and it really did got me by surprise because this is a very good and well made film with 2 great performances by Ethan Hawke and Denzel Washington because both men gave their heart and soul to achieve their roles and they nailed it also the rest of the cast did a pretty good job too. My only flaw with the film was probably the twist with Alonzo and some of the dialogue at times became a bit childish but other than that this is a well shot and well directed movie starring 2 great actors and Antoine Fuqua alongside David Ayer created a great film. (9/10)
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Arrogance of power and corruption
KineticSeoul12 January 2017
This has got to be one of my favorite street/hood movies I have seen. Although this is more from the point of views from a good cop and a crooked cops perspective of things. The narrative is easy to follow but there is street smart and street depth to it. Despite few parts not being all that believable, especially when it comes to some of the decisions and actions of some people in this. So yeah, the story connects really well together even the parts that just look like subplots. And when you throw in Denzel Washington putting on his most explosive, menacing, charismatic and powerful performance. You got yourself one heck of a awesome street/hood/crime movie that pushes towards what street justices is like. Ethan Hawke is even believable playing a naive rookie officer with a good heart. This is a entertaining and yet enthralling experience to sit through, especially because of Washington's performance in this. Overall, this is a movie I can highly recommend.

1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
This training is not what he'd expected.
saurabh_9710 December 2016
Training Day seems passionately made and well crafted. It's fast paced from the start, scene-to-scene, though slows down at some places, likely for the need of character development. One small scene where Alonzo talks to his son in Spanish, is emotionally captivating, even when one is unaware of the language; and most importantly - describes his somewhat affection for his closed one, amidst his brutal actions and dialogues throughout the movie.

What Denzel Washington's character (Alonzo) mostly does is evidently the 'wrong' convention of doing things; it does sometimes looks like this 'cop' has a pretty decent idea about how things work (he even exclaims during one scene, "Nothing's free in this world, Jake. Not even arrest..") This makes Alonzo implausible.

The film aptly uses the location of Los Angeles, which suffers from the socio-economic issue of drug cartels and gang wars, also relevant to the plot's context.

I've seen it once as of, but definitely wouldn't mind watching again, since it's no-campy, complex story line makes one to delve deeper into it's dialogues, thus increasing it's re-playing ability.
Strong safety, huh?
sharky_5515 November 2016
Ethan Hawke has made a career out of perfecting the nervous smile and candid shake of the head. Even as he gets older he has retained that youthful naivety about him. In Lord of War I noted he was woefully miscast as the FBI hotshot - Hawke is not the arrogant, in control type. In Training Day he is a different brand of law enforcement, where his character plays to his strengths. In the beginning Jake Hoyt feigns confidence and ambition, but soon after is immediately wringing his hands and vibrating with a nervous energy because of the things he is being asked to do (he put this aura to great use as the fresh faced teenager in Before Sunrise). Hawke is like a modern Jack Lemmon, but dropped into a urban, unforgiving environment and a tireless role. His body is withered and lean, with a scratchy, unkempt beard as a symptom of long nights. He represents a rat, a narcotics cops scurrying over to the dark side.

Alonzo Harris is his opposite, who shares the same traits as Hoyt that might sooner mistake him for a dealer instead of a cop. Washington is relentless to the point of being overblown; with his skullcap, black 'matrix style' trenchcoat, silver crucifix necklace and penchant for double wielding pistols (with one aligned in the 'kill-shot' position), he treads the dangerous line between authenticity and the Hollywood vision of the edgy, corrupt cop. His dialogue is fast and furious, showcasing his 'street' knowledge and his wielding of racial capital to play both sides of the thin blue line closely, and often recklessly. In another world it would be easy to imagine him as a drug kingpin.

It is this approach that leads to Hoyt's first challenge. Harris underlines the offer with a bit of wisdom that makes so much sense that almost makes up for his methods: to be a narc you must know and love the drug. The second part of his nefarious plan is to lace the joint with PCP and create a trial of evidence that will later come into play. The 'drug vision', shot from the perspective of the dazed Hoyt, is where the film shows some of its false colours. It's ridiculous, highlighted with a nightmarish green tint, canted dutch angle and erratic shaky-cam straight out of some Don't Do Drugs PSA for a high school crowd. The nauseous combo with extreme close-ups barrelling in on the young rookie's reactions are part of Fuqua's treatment of 'realism', albeit a shiny, sanitised version of working narcotics. Occasionally, he even is allowed to splurge, and the result of this is a dramatic rooftop meeting of similarly corrupt cops about to raid an informant, or as they call it, 'cashing in an account'. We understand that each of the four have gone through the same trial by fire that Hoyt is being pushed through. But what's wrong with a Starbucks?

The ideal behind Hawke's Hoyt is a good one, if not simplistic. An early scene tacks a wife and child onto him like some sort of moral compass point, but not as part of a three dimensional character. He's an amalgamation of the characteristics that we and Hollywood like to see often in movies - white, middle class, young father, morally upright. Fuqua aligns the audience alongside him, and we nod and agree with his moral choices, before all that is upended and we discover that the streets operate on an entirely different level than the cinematic black and whites we are so used to. But the film also falls victim at the same crux. It posits that sometimes the bad guys win and that simple morality might not always be such an easy out, but then lets the angelic protagonist navigate the messy and heartless territory it has worked so hard to establish with relative ease and a few convenient narrative strokes.

Training Day recalls other tangled crime dramas about figures trying to navigate the corrupt waters of the system, in particular the Hong Kong film Infernal Affairs and its more well known western counterpart, The Departed. While the former wears its pulp on its sleeve by using a flashy action aesthetic and showy, soap-opera-esque flashbacks to push the narrative along, the latter was well and truly americanised. As with many of Scorsese's films it verges on the point of being overdone, stretched an extra fifty minutes and made gritty, grey and quietly devastating. A distinct difference lies in the treatment of the undercover gang member who infiltrates the police system: the original had a way of swinging allegiances and evoking Buddhist sentiments of a perpetual guilt, whilst Scorsese all but batters Matt Damon into the ground, leaving no room for dispute. Interestingly, Training Day was released but a month after the 9/11 attacks, with the American public distraught, and fear and paranoia running rampant. In that climate a cop could do no wrong. Nowadays I look around and see a very different environment, one where the lessons of Training Day might not be so shocking. While the two former films are more or less straight thrillers, Training Day attempts to say a little more, but it's not entirely successful either.
Lost in inconsistency
Time Saver11 October 2016
This movie started with telling one story, but ended telling some completely different. And it wasn't due to the plot, but due to the inconsistency.

The idea itself is nothing new; nowadays we all know many stories about the crime on the streets and how the cops are trying to handle that problem. But at some point, almost abruptly, the story went to some other direction, adversely changing the pace of the movie.

The choices and motives of the main protagonists are blurred and unclear, and the movie didn't offer a reasonable explanation for some of their rather radical actions. Even though the acting and the role assignment are more than good, the overall character development is rather poor, giving the impression that the movie is just too short for this story.

All in all, this movie is nothing special due to a shallow realization and isn't really worth the time. I can only say that I wouldn't watch this movie again.
0 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Amazing Film
Kevin Manteaw14 September 2016
What A Movie ! I Would Definitely Recommend Watching It. Denzel & Ethan's Acting Was Fantastic. The Storyline Itself Caught My Attention And Drew Me In. I Have A Lot Of Favourite Scenes In The Film, The Shots & Filming Was Definitely On Point. I Would Give It A Rating Of 8/10. Extremely High.

If You Are A Fan Of Denzel Washington, Then This Movie Is For You. It Was Different To See Denzel As The Villain But It Was Played So Well. Alonzo (Denzel Washington) Is A Feisty Character, Who Will Stop At Nothing Till He Gets What He Wants. A Big Well Done To The Director Antoine Fuqua On Making This Movie Happen. This Is One Of Those Movies You Can Watch Again And Again And Again.
Superb crime drama. Incendiary work from Washington
NateWatchesCoolMovies22 July 2016
"To protect the sheep, you gotta catch the wolf, and it takes a wolf to catch a wolf." This questionable sentiment is how rogue LAPD detective Alonzo Harris (Denzel Washington) justifies a heavy laundry list of dirty deeds, scary volatility, sociopathic backstabbing and a complete disregard for the badge that he wears on a chain like dog tags. And indeed, inner city Los Angeles can seem like a war zone, but its like he's in fact more part of the problem than the dark angel of justice he sees in himself. Antoine Fuqua's combustible crime drama Training Day rightly won Washington an Oscar for his unsettling runaway train of a performance, and he owns it down to the last maniacal mannerism and manipulative tactic. The film takes place over one smoggy L.A. day (hence the title) that feels like an eternity for its two leads, as well as all the colorful and often terrifying people they meet along the yellow brick road that's paved with used needles and shell casings. Harris is tasked with showing rookie cop Jake Hoyt (Ethan Hawke) the ropes in his neighborhood, in the hopes that he'll pass the test and achieve Narc status. Jake is prepared for a run of the mill crash course, but as soon as he's treated to a verbal beatdown from Harris in the diner they meet at, he has a feeling it ain't gonna be anywhere close to a normal day. This is just another day for Harris though, as he drags Hoyt by the scruff through drug busts, gang warfare, the worst neighborhood in town and pulls him deeper into his very dangerous world. Fuqua has a knack for getting the atmosphere of his settings just pitch perfect, and the feverish nightmare of the inner city comes alive, seemingly possessing the characters themselves until the atrocities just seem like a way of life. The trouble really starts when they run across Harris's old drug lord buddy Roger (a wicked Scott Glenn in a role originally intended for Mickey Rourke), who proves a valuable asset later, though not in the way you might think. Harris introduces Jake to his equally crooked and scary team, including Peter Greene, Nick Chinlund and Dr. Dre who struggles in the acting department, especially in a room full of such heavy hitters. Jake is aghast at the horrors he sees and cannot believe the streets are like this. Harris devilishly assures him that this is the job, mutilating the symbol of his badge even more by justifying such behaviour as necessary. Tension reaches unbearable heights during a visit to a Latino gang household run by Cliff Curtis, Raymond Cruz and the eternally scary Noel Gugliemi. This is the heart of darkness fpr the film, a story beat from which there is seemingly no escape, until it becomes clear that Jake has somehow evolved a step up the food chain as far as LA goes, and is now ready to put down the dog who taught him, a dog who has long been rabid. People complain that the final act degenerates into a routine action sequence. Couldn't disagree more. With a setup so primed with explosive conflict, it can't end up anywhere else but an all out man to man scrap, which when followed by no flat out action sequences earlier in the film, hits hard. Their inevitable confrontation is a powerhouse, especially from Washington, who finally loses his composure and yowls like a trapped coyote, his actions caught up to him. In a role originally intended for Tom Sizemore (who would have rocked it in his own way) I'm glad Denzel got a crack at it, for he's absolute dynamite. Watch for Harris Yulin, Raymond J. Barry and Tom Berenger as the three senior LAPD dick heads, Eva Mendes as Alonzo's girlfriend, Macy Gray as a screeching banshee of a ghetto whore and Snoop Dogg as your friendly neighborhood wheelchair bound crack dealer. Fuqua keeps attention rooted on the dynamic between Washington and Hawke, who is excellent in as role that could have easily been swallowed up by Washington's monster of of a performance. Hawke holds his own, and the film is really about how two very different guys view a difficult area of town, how it changes them both, and ultimately how their moral compasses end up on a collision course. One of the best crime framas out there, and quickly becoming timeless.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Denzel's brilliant acting on display
In his Academy Award Winning Performance,as best Actor.The movie, as the title suggests, follows a single day in the life of rookie cop Jake Hoyt (Hawk) as he is subject to a single day of evaluation by a senior, decorated police narcotics officer Alonzo Harris (Washington) to see if he has what it takes to be a 'narc'. Almost immediately Hoyt is placed on the back foot, constantly caught off guard by Alonzo's nature, his ability to switch between a cold, no- nonsense street-wise player, a genuinely caring and good intentioned leader, and occasionally jovial companion. From their first encounters though, where Hoyt tells Harris he will do "anything you want me to do", the situations Hoyt is taken into become more and more morally ambiguous, from the simple use of excessive force to outright illegal activity, forcing Hoyt to decide which side Harris is truly on, whether to trust him, or whether Hoyt is the unwitting centerpiece of a huge and complex web of lies and set- ups in order for Harris to for fill his own sinister motives. This is a must watch! The one thing that made this film really shine was the performance by Mr. Washington. To me, a good actor is someone who just IS a character...if it isn't obvious that they are acting than they are doing a good job. That was the case with Washington. He just was Alonzo. Every pantomime, every word, every glance was performed masterfully. Did Mr. Washington deserve his Oscar? Absolutely. 200%. Some people say, "not Oscar material" and I must wonder, what film...what performance were they watching?
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Training day
Miles burton26 March 2016
I absolutely adore this movie! My favourite Antoine Fuqua film by far. I absolutely love the tensity in Denzel's character, and at the the same time his emotion. Denzel makes this movie. He makes it a success, with some of the best acting I have ever seen on screen. Ethan Hawke also does a great job with the Innocent cop, but Denzel just steals the show. With high tensity and action packed police drama, this is definitely a film to see! Furthermore, there is disturbing dialogue within the film. But once you get past that and get into the world of good cop, bad cop you get into the mind of how Ethan Hawkeyes character is feeling and how he is thinking, and how he is being played for a fool by Denzel. Truly a masterpiece in the making!
1 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
One session you'll want to skip
raisleygordon26 February 2016
If only the preceding moments were just as interesting...

When Jake is held at gunpoint in a bathtub, that's when Training Day comes alive. Now why couldn't everything that came before be as good? For a while, this movie sounds better on paper than acted out, and that's unfortunate, despite a great premise, that, for a while, goes absolutely nowhere. Hawke is completely miscast, and Washington just can't save it. Now, I enjoyed it a little more when it's just these two, but when they're around others, that's when the movie goes flat. And a two-hour running time? Are these filmmakers serious? I can't help thinking the boring stuff would have been more forgivable had they been, at the very least, even slightly shorter. Want to see a good movie? See "The Man" instead. While it's a comedy, and this one is action. it is at least much, much better than this misfire (mostly, anyway).

** out of ****