IMDb > See the Sea (1997) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

See the Sea More at IMDbPro »Regarde la mer (original title)

Page 3 of 4: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]

Extremely disturbing, albeit in a subtle way

Author: glabrezu from St.-Petersburg, Russia
5 March 2003

The visual sequence of this film is excellent as for any other film by Ozon. I don't know where he gets the camera people, but they all are top-notch.

The scenes that might seem illogical at the beginning keep providing more substance to the characters, and the final (I liked it a lot that it wasn't in the list of the possible outcomes that I had in mind) everything suddenly snaps into places.

The dilemma with this film is that watching it early in the day will probably keep you uneasy for the rest of it, and watching it late in the night might easily make your sleep less sound. The choice is up to you.

Yeah, and Ozon is brilliant in shooting women with cigarettes.

A very unpleasant little film

Author: planktonrules from Bradenton, Florida
15 November 2006

MAJOR SPOILER ALERT--Don't Read This if You Haven't Seen the Film! This little picture is slightly less than one hour long, but due to its being a rather disgusting little picture, it seemed longer--I simply didn't enjoy it at all and found it tough going. It's the story of a screwy young lady and her baby at the beach. They meet a very strange female drifter and they become friends, of sorts. Then, rather out of the blue, the film has a very, very bloody and unsettling ending--complete with very explicit nudity and violence.

The very end of the story I found to be very confusing, as it was hard to figure out exactly WHO murdered WHO (I am sorry for the spoiler, but this is a truly confusing film). Apparently I got it wrong who perpetrated the attack when I first reviewed the film, as an alert IMDb reader noted. And while I usually don't make these sort of errors, I tried re-watching the film just to see how I could have made this mistake. And, even the second time, I could see how this occurred, as the body and perpetrator were only VERY briefly seen at the end. This ambiguity may have been intentional--I just don't know. Another reason I think I didn't exactly understand who did what is that what DID occur didn't make much sense to me at all--it seemed like a gratuitous and senseless ending and the motivation for this act was unclear.

Predictable and Ultimately Dull

Author: Bill from Williamsburg, VA
21 May 2003

After quite a good setup of the sparse seaside landscape and the frustrated housewife with baby it degenerates into a "thriller" that delivers a few shocks (or more correctly disgusting moments) but no true surprises or twists.

The drifter is a stock character with no depth or distinguishing characteristics from other such characters (nor is any added by the actress in a flat performance) so ultimately there is no menace to sustain even a film this short. The housewife fares better, particularly in the first half, with a little more depth but even that is discarded for the "surprise" ending. And if you were surprised then you weren't paying attention (probably because you were nodding off).

The film is shot in a harsh, minimalist way that tends towards realism which intrigues during the initial setup but is betrayed by the often unrealistic (or at least they felt that way) goings on that are played straight with no stylistic touches whatsoever. And in such a short film several scenes really have no bearing on the plot and really add nothing to the characters. As such the film ultimately lacks depth and tension and ends up being just, well, dull.

fabulous

Author: wildstrawbe from home
8 August 2001

I just loved this film. I was thinking about it for a while and it made me feel sympathy for Tatiana. I really liked the fact that the characters never speak about their feelings just the way it happens in real life. That's something you can pnly find in european or asian movies. Everything is unclear in this movie. We never really understand if the married woman is happy, if the travelling woman is happy, why she finally does what she does, whether she had it all planned or if she was testing the woman. This film is pure poetry.

Regarde la porte

Author: bobscott from Nebraska
28 December 2002

See the door? If this movie is on in your vicinity, perhaps now would be a good time to open the door, step outside, and close the door, making sure it's locked behind you. It's just that bad. It's even worse than another François Ozon film I've seen called "Water Drops on Burning Rocks."

At 50 minutes, this film is excruciating. Some may call it a brilliant art film, but to call it a film is to simply say that anything that IS filmed can be considered a movie. Which is true, to some extent, but that is far from saying that everything on film is a something that people would like to see.

The concept of this film seems to be one of "Oh boy, cynicism!" The characters are empty glasses at the start, filled a bit with their actions, only to be emptied again at various points so that completely unbelievable things can occur. And these unbelievable things... They advance the plot, right? Nope! They're just thrown in there to remind us all that the world is a horrible place and everyone in it is potentially going to despoil your like-new toothbrush and perhaps do a few other things that aren't very nice for no particular reason.

This is a film that asks the audience to draw their own conclusions, I suppose. But when all is said and done, what conclusions can even be drawn from it? Not many, and those few that can be drawn aren't too remarkable. This is an empty film. Out of a 10, I give it a 2.

Shows the more glib aspect of Ozon's rarely absent desire to shock.

Author: Chris Knipp from Berkeley, California
21 July 2007

A scruffy girl backpacker Tatiana (Marina de Van) shows up at the beach house of a Parisian young mom, the English Sasha (Sasha Hails), who has a 10-month-old baby--and demands permission to pitch her tent in the back yard. The dad is working in Paris and only shows up at the end of the film's 52-minute running time. (De Van was to appear again in Ozon's Sit Com). The mom precedes to trust the obviously suspicious and ominously aggressive and affect-less outsider far too much--to the torment of nervous viewers. A rather minimalist horror flick, this shows Ozon's characteristic visual elegance and economy but leans dangerously far toward the more glib aspect of his rarely absent desire to shock. One of the hardest of his films to watch, but not one of the more convincing ones. Various elements strain credulity and others are not even really made clear. Roger Ebert wrote a very good (if typically over-kind) review.. This was Ozon's longest film so far. Though not well reviewed in this country his Criminal Lovers/Les amants criminels (1999), with the naturally combustible couple of Jeremie Renier and real-life girlfriend Natacha Regnier, was longer (96 min.) and a huge improvement.

Truly disturbing. My last Ozon.

Author: spong-3 from Cologne, Germany
20 December 2008

Call me a sociopath, but after watching See The Sea I took out the DVD (a short movie anthology) and threw it away. Okay, the movie is done excellently. You have this uneasy gut feeling about the woman from the very beginning, and it slowly creeps up your body until the pretty disturing resolution.

This is the emotional equivalent to having someone kick you in the stomach and vomit into your mouth. I honestly don't know why Ozon would want his audience to feel that way. I was impressed enough by 5 X 2 to give this one a try, even after the letdown of ANGEL. But I don't think I will go and watch another OZON after this one. Okay, "§$% you've accomplished your goal. You've gotten your reaction. Now leave me the "§$% alone.

Yeah, this proves it...we Engleesh can speak French

Author: michael-1151 from United Kingdom
10 December 2008

It's amazing, an English actress playing a moody, sensual French young mother, hiding an enigmatic darker side, unleashed at the end of this film. Sasha Hails walks the walk and talks the talk, strangely unfazed by the threatening presence of a course, uncouth backpacker, initially camping in her backyard, but before long babysitting, almost playing the role of au pair, which had first borough Sasha to France.

The visitor, Tatiana, played by Marina de Van (surely it should be vin, given the amount of wine they consume?) is obviously the unsettling element - initially. But as with all good French movies, even short ones like this, you're left wondering who, in the end, is stranger, Sasha, having sex with strangers in the woods while leaving her baby on the beach or Tatiana, with the apparent nihilism of her diary, dark hangmen, twisted doodles and a propensity to ask strange, detailed questions about childbirth? I was flumoxed by the ending; who had done what?

In the end, I deduced with Sherlock Holmesian logic, it must have been Sasha, how else could the ropes have been tied? But then, going on a boat, uncaring, nonchalant, as her husband arrives home from his business trip to Paris, unzipping Tatiana's tent, making a discovery enough to put him off camping for life? Ah, yes, now I know: Sasha is really the dark player, the other girl, merely the mixed up backpacker. I think. Not horrific, not a masterpiece, a 52 minute vignette of Anglo French foibles and sexual deviance. Forgive me, I must go and lick my plate clean.

See The Sea a prelude to real life infant kidnappings....

Author: Ronzique from United States
10 July 2008

When watching See The Sea on DVD recently, I saw a trend from the movie that was actually done a few times in real life since its 1997 release. In the United States, there were reports of mentally unstable women, usually those who had a bad experience with the birth of a child or the child was aborted for some reason, who broke into homes where other women lived with their newborns, leading them to murder the mother and kidnap the child. In those cases, the kidnapper/murderer was arrested by the authorities. However, in one other incident, the kidnapper/murderer committed suicide.

When Sasha Hails character invites Tatiana (Marina de Van) into her beach side home, she invites her own death and the kidnapping of her little Samantha (played by Hails' real life daughter, who was born prior to the making of the film). What Francois Ozon does well is to slowly unravel the Tatiana character's intentions as the film progressed. Even Sasha finds out late in the story about the real person behind the backpacker who admitted that she had lost her child. To make matters worse, Sasha is a victim of her naivety.

Amazingly, this film lasts only 51 minutes. You would think that this thriller would go, at least 90 minutes, but not enough material was written to extend the movie's length. However, I would have been happy to have seen the kidnapper/murderer get caught by the police to put closure on the case. But the film ends with a crime committed, the perpetrator running free with the baby. Apparently, European films deal more with unsolved answers to problems than finding solutions. How sad.

Very Strange but somehow engrossing

Author: from United States
3 March 2006

This movie holds your attention for some reason. However, let me warn you it is very strange. 1.) What mother would leave her child with a stranger she JUST met while the mother goes shopping? 2.) What mother would leave her baby hundreds of yards away ALONE on a beach while the mother gets oral sex from a gay man in a gay assignation wooded lot? 3.) Nice bodies on the two women - ugly face on the backpacker though. 4.) What is the story for the backpacker? The short conversation between the backpacker and the mother about the birth process for the mother is "revealing" but does not seem to really develop the backpacker's rationale. 5.) The ending would seem logical for a suspense/horror film if there had been more background earlier in the film. 6.) This film could be considered a "short" due to its low level of character development - but the film is almost one hour.

Page 3 of 4: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]