IMDb > No Ordinary Love (1994) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

No Ordinary Love More at IMDbPro »

Something for everyone: Comedy, Drama, Action, Sex

Author: Legion from Pennsylvania
22 January 2002

I wasn't sure what to expect from this movie but I found it an enjoyable romp through the lives of disjointed housemates.

The movie is actually several movies rolled into one, with each story only receiving a portion of the total film. Each story suffers because of this intercutting, but at the same time you are drawn into each of the stories because of how they interrelate the characters with one another. This is very much the daytime drama (soap opera) approach, and as long as you are comfortable with the format, you should enjoy the film.

As an independent film, the acting and production values are not on par with big budget films, but there were no glaring issues that kept me from enjoying the movie (though the nebby mother's bad wig did stand out).

The best plot of the whole film was the burgeoning romance between the young college student and the gangbanger neighbor. It was touching and romantic, but also revealed the problems that some people face as they start to experiment.

All told though, this is a film that people will either really love or really hate. I for one loved it.

overall - not bad for an indie amateur film

Author: amberbaer from West Chester, PA, USA
1 July 2005

The cast needed to be more polished in their craft The sets were so bland for a house full of gay and bi people - too suburbia looking to be believed The wig that the mother wore - too fake, and if that was her real hair, she should go bald! The gay part of the movie, not explored enough, just in snippets The young lovers, not believable at all - you could tell they had no chemistry between them off-screen to make the on screen at least interesting. The stereotypical fat gay man - horrible - he looked like Divine out of drag and his lisping was too offensive, even to gay old me!

The plot needed so work done to it - it could have been more interesting had the bi man's female lover not known about his gay life, but to think that they were all living together just doesn't work.

By the end of the movie - you're seeing where it's all going to lead to, and it does, but it just doesn't seem "real" in parts, almost too staged and too acted out.

A good rewrite and recast should have been done, but at least the one gay roommate was hot - and the poster of himself on the wall is smoking! Pure eye candy for any gay man who likes his A&F boys!

Decent storyline vs bad acting

Author: MACmovie1 from United States
3 May 2006

I just recently watched this movie on here! TV. I must say that I got taken in by the storyline of a group of "roomates" who get caught in stuff way over their heads. Yet, I was quite disappointed by the lack-luster acting provided (down right awful)!! There were, though, a few standouts: The token fat guy - at least he was a bit more convincing than the others; and the mother - she somewhat reminded me of the remarkable Andrea Martin (just a lot less talented). With more experienced and motivated performers, the relationship between Ramon and Vince would have seemed more natural and associative and not forced and unbelievable!!!