IMDb > Message in a Bottle (1999) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Message in a Bottle

Message in a Bottle More at IMDbPro »

Page 8 of 23: [Prev][3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [Next]

A movie with a message and a sad ending. Good part for Newman

Author: Italy-Wedding from Lochristi, Belgium
4 November 2001

It is a very sad movie, about love and death. It made me silent, especially the end was hard. The actors (Robin Wright Penn, Kevin Costner and paul Newman) did a great job, but what would you aspect with such talented people. That the title was very good chosen because it is all about that message. Looking for love and hold it is for me the message in this film, and we have to keep this message in mind.

Newman was for me very remarkable in his part of Dodge as the father of Kevin Costner. He is still great, I hope he will make more pictures in the future.

It was a good movie but not the best that I ever saw, Splendor in the grass with warren beatty was a little bit like that and was a little bit better, but you have to see the film when you are a romantic person!

rating: 8/10 or *** out of ****

Disappointing

Author: spacegal-1 from New York
12 May 2001

Last week I read the book "Message in a Bottle" by Nicholas Sparks. Tonight I watched the movie on cable TV. I was extremely disappointed in the movie rendition of a wonderful story line, so much so that I feel I wasted 2+ hours! The movie leaves huge gaps in the story, rushes the characters through the scenes and takes such liberties that I truly wonder if the screenwriters/director/ producer even bothered to first read the book. While the core of the story remains the same, the fringes are sorely lacking and more often than not don't even resemble the printed page. If you want to enjoy a beautiful love story, read the book and don't bother with the movie.

Mostly loved it, but it falls short sometimes

Author: gmoore-4 from California, USA
22 January 2001

The scenery and music are beautiful, as is the story. Overall, I thought this was an excellent movie, but there were little things that detracted from it. I liked much of the dialog, but there were some poorly written scenes, including a couple of very dramatic scenes. I thought Robin Wright Penn and Paul Newman's acting was excellent, but there was something missing in Kevin Costner's performance--sometimes he would seem very much like Kevin Costner acting, rather than his character, which was especially troublesome when he was in scenes with the two other main characters. The editing of one scene near the end was awful--there was an abrupt change in what was shown of a main character's emotion, which left me feeling like I had missed something, which reminded me I was watching a movie, and then I was no longer as caught up in the character's emotions. Yet, most of the editing seemed very good. Similarly, most of the directing seemed very good, but there were some scenes that seemed like they must had a substitute director. I definitely recommend this movie, but I also recommend expecting a few shortcomings and being prepared to overlook them. I liked the movie enough to buy it, and I don't buy many movies.

If you liked City of Angels, this is a must see movie!

Author: Chris Brown (chrisbrown6453@hotmail.com) from Fresno, CA
2 September 2000

***Warning, review is full of spoilers***

City of Angels (1998) has had the distinct honor of being the only movie to make me cry by the end. That was until today when I watched Message in a Bottle. Kudos to Luis Mandoki for directing such a beautiful film, and creating that unique feeling of grieving over a lost love, finding love again, and ultimately grieving over another love lost. As with City of Angels, Message in a Bottle takes you on a journey through the trials and tribulations of loosing a loved one and trying to cope with the loss.

Garrett Blake (Kevin Costner) has lost his wife to an ailment brought on by their first pregnancy. Blake has spent the last 2 years of his life mourning the loss by `cocooning' himself and cutting the world off. He has his father Dodge, played brilliantly by Paul Newman, and his love of restoring old boats, which he takes very seriously.

Theresa Osborne (Robin Wright) works for the Chicago Tribune in the research department. While on a trip to the cape, to drop her son off with her ex-husband, she discovers a bottle on the beach. The bottle contains a message addressed to a Catherine, and goes on to say how sorry the writer is for `not understanding' and `not helping in her time of need'. The more she reads, the more she feels the love the writer has for this Catherine, and how much she really meant to him. The letter, as precious as it is, is signed simply with ‘G'. The editor of the paper where Theresa works decides to print the letter in the paper, and hundreds of letters are sent in return. One particular letter contains a copy of a letter found by another woman in a town a few states south of that cape where the original letter found by Theresa surfaced. With this second letter, Theresa begins to piece together the puzzle, and when a third letter, this one not addressed to Catherine or signed by ‘G' but on the same stationary is found, she convinces her editor to send her off and find this ‘G'. Theresa gets the name of the author of the letters, and goes to his small town to meet him. When she does, she begins to fall in love with him, just like she fell in love with the letters. After learning much of each other, Garrett (G) begins to have strong feelings for Theresa, but his undying love for his deceased wife Catherine keeps him from expressing those feelings.

As time wears on, Theresa heads back home to Chicago, and doesn't hear from Garrett for a few weeks. Finally he calls her, and they set up a trip for Garrett to visit her in Chicago. While there, he ultimately finds the bottle and letters in her nightstand drawer and storms out of her home. Garrett heads back home, and Theresa starts to put her life back together.

Weeks go by, and Theresa receives a letter from a Garrett telling her that he has finished building the boat that he and his wife started, and will be sailing it on a specific date and invites her to join in the festivities. She does, and when she arrives she hears Garrett christen his boat, the ‘Catherine', with loving words about his lost wife. Theresa leaves, and later Garrett catches up with her where they discuss what future they have. Together they ultimately decide that they have no future, and Theresa heads back to Chicago.

At this time, Garrett and his father have a touching heart to heart talk, and Garrett finally realizes that he isn't willing to let Theresa walk out of his life. He writes another letter, this one to tell Catherine that he loves Theresa `…just as much as he loved her.'

In the final scenes of the movie, we see Garrett take his boat out to sea presumably to throw one final bottle into the water, and begin his life with Theresa. While sailing, Garrett reaches another boat in distress with a family on it. The treacherous sea has damaged their boat, and Garrett tries to save them. He manages to pull the father and daughter aboard his boat, but the wife is still in the water. He decides to jump in and swim to her, but when he gets to her he realizes that he has no chance, and in the end he and the woman drown. The final scene shows Theresa receiving a phone call from Dodge explaining to her what has transpired, and we leave watching Theresa and Dodge after the funeral hugging and grieving with each other.

Choosing Kevin Costner for this role was brilliant, and Paul Newman added that sentimental appeal of Garrett's father. The choice of Robin Wright for the role of Theresa might have been a little too rushed; I really could have seen Kelly Preston (For Love of the Game) in this role. The story is original even though the ending may have not been (City of Angels). The movie grabbed my attention from the opening scene, and held onto it until the last of the credits were shown. Throughout the entire film, Catherine's family wreaks havoc on Garrett's life regarding possessions of Catherine's that he will not let go of. The moment we meet them, we hate them; however, by the end of the film, they have changed and we begin to understand what they feel, and begin to like them. All in all I liked this film very much, and I would recommend everyone see it. Now if you'll excuse me, I need to get another box of tissue.

A great romance story.

Author: (sabrinasackfield_2006@hotmail.com) from United States of America
15 June 2000

This is one of the best love movies that Kevin Costner has acted in.Kevin Costner Plays Garret Blake who is grieving over his loss of his wife . When Robin Wright Penn finds a message in a bottle and it touches her heart. So she sets out to find out who wrote them. She soon finds out that who wrote them will change her life forever. When she finds out about Garret past and that he still loves his late wife she backs away. After she left Garret writes the finial letter to wife and said to her that he has fallen in love with another woman but the letter never gets out to sea you have to watch the movie to find out what is next and all the other details. Overall I say it is a must see next time you are out to the store buy a copy of it , it is worth ever dime.

A great romance story.

Author: (sabrinasackfield_2006@hotmail.com) from United States of America
15 June 2000

This is one of the best love movies that Kevin Costner has acted in.Kevin Costner Plays Garret Blake who is grieving over his loss of his wife . When Robin Wright Penn finds a message in a bottle and it touches her heart. So she sets out to find out who wrote them. She soon finds out that who wrote them will change her life forever. When she finds out about Garret past and that he still loves his late wife she backs away. After she left Garret writes the finial letter to wife and said to her that he has fallen in love with another woman but the letter never gets out to sea you have to watch the movie to find out what is next and all the other details. Overall I say it is a must see next time you are out to the store buy a copy of it , it is worth every dime.

A beautiful example of Fate.

Author: (angelsk8r05@aol.com) from USA
31 May 2000

I found this movie to be moving in that the two Characters were brought together by fate. The characters were very well played and I feel that the director did a very good job indeed on choosing the actors. Although I found the novel by Nicholas Sparks to be much more detailed and more moving as well.

Absolutely Enjoyable

Author: nymosa (nymosa@aol.com) from New York
27 April 2000

I was surprised myself that I enjoyed this film, as I am not a fan of Hollywood blockbusters. However, wonderful production design and excellent casting won me over in this event. I notcied some say "hard to believe" and "wouldnt likely happen", but that is the art of cimena. I was rather sad at the conclusion of this film and wished things had gone the other way. Anyhow, well done and enjoyable

A spectacular and sweet romance

Author: Michael Hollywood
25 April 2000

Watching "Message In A Bottle" was incredible because it was the type of movie that allowed me to clear my mind of everything else and allowed to relax in my chair.

This movie completely swept me away to another place that gave me the chance to watch a brilliant film with no worries and enjoy an epic romance.

Kevin Costner, Paul Newman and Robin Wright Penn share the screen to tell the incredible story of one reporter's mission to locate the writer of three mysterious messages that turned up ashore. What follows is a tender and sweet romance between Garret Blake played by Costner and Theresa Osborne played by Penn. Also, mixed into this wonderfully crafted plot is Newman who plays Dodge, Garret's father who acts as a calming effect for his son when trying to deal with his newfound feelings about Theresa and those for Catherine, the object of the mysterious messages.

The performances by Costner, Penn and Newman seemed so natural it was enjoyable to watch actors not try so hard to do their best. I got the feeling that the actors truly cared about making this film the best they could for their fans because of the integrity and sincerity they brought to their characters.

"Message In A Bottle" was a powerful and inspirational movie to watch and will be treasured by me for years to come. In addition it had two of my favorite actors and it gave me the opportunity to watch a brilliant actress come in to her own.

Highly unlikely but entertaining love story

Author: Brian J. Smith from Gloucester, Ontario, Canada
30 March 2000

Message in a Bottle is one of those Hollywood love stories that are unlikely to ever happen in real life but are nonetheless entertaining to watch.

Robin Wright Penn plays a newspaper researcher who stumbles upon a bottle on a beach containing a message. She is moved by the message and sets about to find out who wrote it. As luck would have it, it turns out to have been written by Kevin Costner who is grieving the recent loss of his wife. Well, you know what happens next.

Costner, after those two mega turkeys "Waterworld" and "The Postman", turns in a good performance as Garret, and Wright Penn is adequate as Theresa, however, it is veteran Paul Newman who walks away with the picture as Costner's father. He still has that screen presence and charisma that have kept him a star for over 35 years. Robbie Coltrane also contributes a nice but brief appearance as Theresa's boss.

The ending is a bit unexpected, but all in all, Message in a Bottle provides for an enjoyable evening's entertainment.