IMDb > Message in a Bottle (1999) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Message in a Bottle

Message in a Bottle More at IMDbPro »

Page 5 of 23: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [Next]

Inspired in one of the finest romantic novels... which works and doesn't work out at the same time

Author: Atreyu_II from The world of artists
10 March 2008

"Message in a Bottle" is one of the most beautiful and intense romantic novels ever written. It is a favorite of mine, not only for a Nicholas Sparks's book, but also for the genre itself. "Message in a Bottle" is a wonderful book, together with "The Notebook" (another brilliant romance).

Of course that, as an assumed fan of the book, I had to write something about this movie and that is precisely what I'm gonna do now.

This is one of those cases which the movie isn't as good as the novel. I used to like this movie better than nowadays, perhaps because I knew it before the novel. However, after reading the novel, my point of view about this movie began to change a bit.

The movie is not bad. Far from that. What happens is that the movie is clearly more incomplete comparing with the book and that's exactly here where the movie fails. I'm not the kind of person to list the differences between a movie and a book one by one, so all I can say is that the movie is romantic, emotional and dramatic, while the book is not only much more complete but also more intense, more beautiful, more enchanting, more romantic, more emotional and more dramatic. Perhaps that's why this movie is so dramatically underrated. I can sort of understand why people in general don't like the movie as much as the book, but many people also talk about this as if it was terrible, which is so not true.

If the movie isn't as excellent as the book, on the other hand the movie has its good side too. For example, it shows us some beautiful landscapes, wonders of nature and details, such as sunrises, sunsets, seas, lakes, wind, beaches, green places, sailing boats, etc...

About the actors, Robin Wright Penn was very good looking in this movie as Theresa Osborne. Kevin Costner has one of his best performances and roles here as Garret Blake. Paul Newman, on the other hand, plays Dodge (the same name of a car's make), Garret's father, a serious but simultaneously funny guy with a very particular sense of humor. This is Paul Newman's best role after the voice of Doc Hudson in Disney/Pixar animated movie "Cars".

Deliver the message that this is a great movie

Author: Michael Sibley
30 July 2004

Spread the message and let everyone know that "Message In A Bottle" was an incredible sight to behold because it was the type of movie that cleared my mind of everything else and allowed to relax in my chair.

"Message In A Bottle" along with the writers as well as Kevin Costner, Paul Newman, and Robin Wright Penn swept me away to another place that gave me the chance to watch a brilliant film with no worries and enjoy an epic romance.

Costner, Newman and Wright Penn share the screen to tell the incredible, emotional and powerful story of one reporter's mission to locate the writer of three mysterious messages that turned up ashore.

The following events set off a tender and sweet romance between Garret Blake played by Costner and Theresa Osborne played by Penn. Also, mixed into this wonderfully crafted plot is Newman who plays Dodge, Garret's father who acts as a calming effect for his son when trying to deal with his newfound feelings about Theresa and those for Catherine, the object of the mysterious messages.

The performances by Costner, Penn and Newman seemed so natural it was enjoyable to watch actors not try so hard to do their best. I got the feeling that the actors truly cared about making this film the best they could for their fans because of the integrity and sincerity they brought to their characters.

"Message In A Bottle" was a powerful and inspirational movie to watch and will be treasured by me for years to come. In addition, it had two of my favorite actors and it gave me the opportunity to watch a brilliant actress come in to her own.

Excellent Film

Author: dara_09 (dara_09@hotmail.com) from Vancouver, B.C.
4 May 2004

I thought that 'Message in a Bottle' was a great movie, definitely one of Kevin Costner's better films in recent years. Unlike the last reviewer, I did not feel that the movie was too long, although I saw it on television and it may have been cut considerably. Robin Wright Penn and Paul Newman also put in excellent performances and follow a great plot by Nicholas Sparks. It is quite an emotional film about losing and finding love; a real tearjerker. The beauty of the North Carolina location adds to the background of the movie and heightens the depth of emotion expressed by the actors. The film is reminiscent of 'A Walk to Remember (also a Nicholas Sparks novel turned film) and will probably be enjoyed by the same audience.

A very romantic movie and a great love story

Author: KristinNAz from Arizona, USA
21 February 2004

**POSSIBLE SPOILER*** If you like a good, soppy love story (and WE ALL do on occassion), this movie hits the spot. The two attractive characters (Kevin Costner and Robin Wright Penn) have great chemistry, and the story (though a little unprobable) appears to work. Kevin Costner is a widower who lost his wife to cancer. After she died, he wrote letters to her to help with the grieving process, and he put them in bottle, and threw them out to sea. A writer, played by Robin Wright Penn, stumbles across one of them while jogging on the beach, and then she comes across more. She does research and finds out who the gentleman may be, and finds him in North Carolina, where he has a boat and lives with his father (played by Paul Newman). She pretended to not know about the letters and she starts a relationship with this guy. She falls in love with him and he doesn't find out about the letters until later. Another tragedy occurs in this movie as well- I won't give away everything- but this is one of my favorite love stories, and one of Kevin Costner's better movies.

I Felt Cheated

Author: Hairfish from California, USA
29 December 2003

If you're looking for a movie that will manipulate you like a seasoned con-artist, and then kick you in the gut at the end, this is it.

I haven't been so depressed by the end of a movie since...well, *ever*.

a heart-warming tear jerker

Author: PeepingThoughts from USA
8 July 2002

This is an ideal movie to watch with your closest loved ones. I never read the book but I feel the movie did a excellent job in capturing a range of emotions in one fat film. I was practically mesmerized with the whole story of a couple who were possibly brought together under so-called fatefully strange circumstances.

A really true love story

Author: sue-82 from Liverpool, England
23 June 2002

A wonderful film. a real true love story. Kevin Costner gives what I consider to be one of his best performances. Although you know it's a film, it is believable in all aspects. The interaction between all the characters is so realistic. A must see film.

A Masterpiece - Brilliantly Portrayed and Executed

Author: kstephan from Escondido CA
12 April 2001

I think that this film is a masterpiece! I do not know why it seems to get so little respect. I dislike stereotypes, boilerplate plots, and predictable character behavior. I do not think this fine film had any of these negatives. I felt as though the actors were portraying real, honest to goodness people - people with whom I can relate and not gross exaggerations, or caricatures. I actually know people like those in this film, and they say similar things and act in a similar manner.

Bottom line is that this film grabbed me from the beginning and never let me go until the end. The sound track is terrific - I went to the local record store and purchased it the next day. Cudos to Mr. Luis Mandoki for his fine directing and to Kevin Costner, Denise Di Novi, Leslie Weisberg, Jim Wilson for their skillfull production.

And finally, great praise should go to Robyn Wright Penn for her masterful portrayal of a real person.

I recommend it to anyone.

Top 10 Movies of 1999

Author: Darbe369 from Las Vegas, Nevada
6 February 2001

This is a "must see" for anyone who has loved and lost a spouse through death. Although it is a tear jerker, I thought it was absolutely fabulous and would highly recommend seeing it. I usually don't like movies with a sad ending, but this was an exceptionally well-done movie. But be forewarned, bring tissues!

Despite obvious and almost crippling weaknesses, Message In A Bottle comes out on top.

Author: Michael DeZubiria (wppispam2013@gmail.com) from Luoyang, China
30 January 2001

Message In A Bottle is the interesting but extremely unlikely story of a woman who tries to find the author of a romantic message she found in a bottle that had washed up on a beach. Robin Wright plays the part of Theresa Osborne, who works for the Chicago Tribune. She is touched by the beautifully written note, and upon her return to Chicago, she manages to get it printed in the newspaper. Needless to say, the paper is flooded with responses, someone reports having found a similar note, and the search begins.

This is where the real problems come along, because some of the clues that come along and the way that they are followed are just too unlikely, and this is made even worse by the quickness with which Theresa finds Garrett (Costner). Think about the possibilities of finding a note in a bottle on a beach somewhere that been floating for who knows how long, conducting some kind of search (however thorough), and then finding the person who wrote it.

(spoilers) On the other hand, this is a romance, and the premise is nothing if it's not romantic. Because of that, Message In A Bottle makes a great date movie, but in that case, the ending was probably too much. It's cool to go out and watch a tear jerker every once in a while, but you don't want your date to be crying her eyes out all night. That's not cool.

It's actually kind of hard to form a quick opinion of Message In A Bottle, because the way that Garrett was searched for and eventually found, although it was probably the most efficient method, was extremely unlikely. But on the other hand, it makes for some quality romance. Then you find that the ending was almost too painful for it to be effective as a romance film, but on the other hand, at least they didn't slap on a cutesy happy Hollywood ending to make all the saps happy. I have to admit that that impressed me, because it makes this a unique film. While I was actually watching the movie, I noticed a lot of things that really bothered me, but when I looked back after it was over, I could see that it was really a good film. The ending doesn't satisfy as a romance, but it's good to see something different once in a while.