IMDb > Message in a Bottle (1999) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Message in a Bottle

Message in a Bottle More at IMDbPro »

Page 11 of 23: [Prev][6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [Next]

Wonderful chick flick

Author: Larkin-2 from Washington State
27 August 1999

"Although this movie tends to drag and suffers from melancholy, I did enjoy watching Kevin Costner. While the movie was pleasant enough, the book is certainly much better."

This is what a good friend of mine said about the movie.

This is what I have to say about it.

The actors had no drive whatsoever, the screenplay was just bad, the sets looked fake, and there was hardly any talk in it.

I found it to be very boring and dull.

The end gets to be a lot better, and so does Robin Write Penn's acting.

I thought the only really good actor in it was Paul Newman.

He was very funny, and was right to the point.

Two movies that reminded me of this one (which were much better than this keep in mind) were, Up Close and Personal, and To Gillian on her 37th Birthday (Both Michelle Pfeiffer movies).

I don't recommend this movie to any guy, or young teenager.

But it's probably more of a movie for an older middle-aged woman.

Tearjerker

Author: Roger Zotti (rogerzotti@aol.com) from Preston, CT. 06365
18 August 1999

Message In A Bottle isn't a good movie; at the same time, it isn't a bad movie. For sure, though, it's much too long. Kevin Costner whines too much, and Paul Newman as his father (good bit of casting) is a tad too grumpy. Robin Wright Penn is the best thing about the film: She's an undervalued, underused, intelligent actress. (She runs well, too.)The folks who made the film should have studied some of those 1940 weepers more closely, which is what this film unsuccessfully aspires to. Those great Bette Davis, Olivia DeHavilland, Claudette Colbert films were nicely paced and moved right along. As far as Message is concerned, I wanted to shout, "Get on with it, gang!" So let's give it **1/2....

great movie, great plot, pathetic ending

Author: Robert S. Rissler (demnos@hydrosoft.net) from Terre Hill, PA
9 August 1999

This was an exceptionally good movie. I was captivated during the entire film. That is until the end. The ending was one of the worst I have ever seen in my life. The writers/directors really bombed on that part. Other than the horrible ending though I really enjoyed the movie.

Best movie in a long time for Kevin

Author: mcjarget from Indiana
9 August 1999

Outstanding. Definite improvement for Kevin. Great surprise ending. Emotional all the way. Paul Newman still shows without a doubt why he has always been such an outstanding actor. Age has only brought a richer vintage. The characters portrayed are so down to earth and so very realistic in actions, emotions and dialogue. I'm not a "chick flick" person, but this movie grabbed me.

Definitly a women's film, however...

Author: jnj from San Diego, California
7 August 1999

Si-Fi action adventure thats my kind of film. This one is definitely a women's film, a love story that I only ran to mollify my wife. However, this wasn't a boy meets girl story. It was Man meets Women, a real man, a guy you'd like and convincingly played with more ability then I thought Kosner had. And the women, not the paper cut-out girl from The Prince's Bride but an adult women with some depth character play by a Robin Wright. Consider, if this film touched me, a Si-Fi nut, what will it do to you?

jnj

one of the best romance I have seen

Author: Ellen-21 from Ottawa
3 August 1999

I have watched it six times now and I still have tears in my eyes. One of the best movies I have seen in a while. I am buying this movie and will watch it again. It brought me and my boyfriend closer.

How love becomes beauty

Author: Cynder from Hamilton, Ontario
1 August 1999

Everyone dreams of a love so beautiful and true, one that wraps your heart up in knots but in a way that makes you happy. After watching Message in a Bottle, I felt inspired that this kind of love does exist. Whether it may be for me or others, it is rewarding to know that if someone can write a story of love so beautifully, then one can live it as well.

a perfect love story

Author: Batur Güney (baturgun@hotmail.com) from Ankara, Turkey
27 June 1999

I went to see Message in a Bottle with no great expectations. In fact I had deep preconceptions because of Variety's panning review. But what a pleasant surprise it was! The mood and pace of the film were cleverly arranged to have you wrapped within a wave of emotions. By the end of the film all I could do was to clear my throat, leave the theater and rush out to buy the soundtrack. I think this is one of those films where the soundtrack plays a great role and the images are fixed to your brain in close relation to the music. Gabriel Yared's original score really blew me in this context. Hollywood is so lucky to have discovered him. Is there another composer currently working who gave three awe-inspiring scores back to back? After The English Patient, City of Angels and now this, he's one of my top three composers. The cast was mostly on autopilot but Robin Wright Penn did a good job expressing her character's feelings about this man of sea in a convincing manner. This surely is one of my all-time favourite romantic films, right up there with Titanic and City of Angels.

High quality chick flick

Author: Nicksy from Coventry
23 May 1999

I really enjoyed Message in a Bottle. Okay the plot is not exactly original but the story is romantic and most definitely hooks the viewer, so much so that I was weeping and wailing by the end.

Tip: don't go to see this film with your boyfriend.

An incredibly romantic movie!

Author: Stardancer from North Carolina
14 May 1999

Message in a Bottle is not just a 'chick-flick'. It's a movie for anyone that has loved & lost, then had the courage to try again. It was interesting to watch the mystery unfold as the female lead tracked down the author of the notes. When she finally finds him, the interactions of the couple is wonderful. It was interesting to watch two people wounded in previous relationships slowly reaching for what might become that 'one true love'. The end will blow your mind! It was the first time I've cried in a movie in years. It took my breath away! The photography was spectacular and the sailing scenes (big water, wooden boats, etc). are outstanding. It's a movie I would see again and again and one I will most definitely purchase.