IMDb > "Hercules" (1998) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Hercules"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratings

"Hercules" More at IMDbPro »

Playing with Greek Myths, what fun!

Author: maxvaughn from Arizona, USA/Hull, England
19 July 2002

I wish I had watched this series in it's first run, but I figured "Oh great, another badly done TV series" (I was still bitter about Aladdin and Gargoyles being cancelled). Then, directly before it went off the air I found these sound clips from the show that were so funny that I decided to watch it. I loved it. The show is full of vague references to Greek myths and plays. The more Greek you've been made to study, the more amusing Hercules is.

Some facts about Hercule's story

Author: Jessica Carvalho from Brazil
20 January 2006

''Hercules'' is a cute cartoon from Disney, but it does not tell the exact story of this mythological and famous hero, as also does not show all of the things Hercules have passed through. Well, anyway... Hercules and their parents Hera and Zeus live in the Olympus, and they have a nice and calm life.One day,Zeus was going to introduce Hercules to the other gods in a party,when Hades,the god of the sub world, angry because he was not invited for the party was decided to take off Hercules' immortality. He sent his two pals Panic and Pain to do this mission, and they were going well taking Hercules powers, until they listened to a noise and they let little Hercules with his strength. Panic and Pain thought Hercules was a mortal,so nobody else was worried with Hercules powers and he was adopted by a mortal couple,living well and thinking about himself as a strong human. Only with the time, when he met Meg,Zeus,his unicorn and Puk he is going to know that he is actually son of a God.

A Cute, Halfway Intelligent Kids Show

Author: Gislef from Iowa City, IA
27 July 1999

Hercules hits all the typical Disney/kid-show notes, delivering moral messages and a lot of humor. Like the original Disney movie, but unlike shows like Aladdin and Little Mermaid, Hercules toss in lots of modern-day in-joking which keeps it somewhat interesting for the adults (like myself) to watch while the kiddies enjoy the show. There's also a lot of quality voice talent assembled here (how did they ever get James Woods??). Overall, this somewhat skewed look at Greek mythology is humorous enough.

One of Disney's most underrated TV shows.

Author: furienna from Sweden
20 March 2011

Sure, it takes a lot of liberties with Greek mythology and Greek history. It's not even totally faithful to the 1997 movie with the same name, to which it's supposed to be a "midquel". But still, "Hercules" is rather educational (there are facts about mythology and history in it, if you only care to look for them) and really funny. It must be one of Disney's most underrated TV shows ever!

It follows the adventures of the young demigod Hercules, who's not only a hero in training (he lives with his trainer Philoctetes), so it's often up to him to stop the plans of his evil uncle Hades, the lord of the Underworld, or to solve other problems. But he also has to go to High School, just like any other teenager, and face typical teenage issues. He's got two best friends, Icarus and Cassandra, but he's often taunted by Adonis, the arrogant prince of Thrace, who considers him "a loser".

The ancient Greek gods, like Zeus, Hera, Ares, Athena, Apollon, Artemis, Demeter, Bacchus, Aphrodite, Poseidon, the Muses and Hermes, all make appearances, and so do many heroes and monsters from Greek mythology. And like other reviewers have said, this show also have an impressive cast list, even for guest roles. So if you can, check it out!

A fun, cute little series, and one of Disney's most underrated

Author: TheLittleSongbird from United Kingdom
6 March 2012

I remembered seeing this show as a kid, and I also remembered liking it. To this day at 19 I like how fun and cute it is, and I do consider it one of Disney's most underrated. The 1997 movie Hercules I admit is not one of my favourites from Disney, but it is a very enjoyable movie, funny with great vocal talent, and one that I have learnt to appreciate more over-time. I like this series even more. True, like the movie it is not true to Greek mythology, though I much enjoyed the facts brought forward for educational value, but it is vibrantly animated, has a catchy theme tune, has some interesting story lines and has some really funny and witty writing and jokes while leaving some moments of cuteness and sometimes poignancy. I loved all the characters, Hercules is for me much more likable than he is in the movie, while everybody else, some from the movie some not, fare even better with fun personalities. Hades especially is hilarious. The voice acting, I agree it is just a treat of a cast both on paper and in voice work, is just terrific, hard to pick a favourite. All in all, fun, cute and underrated, it may not be among Disney's very best but I can think of worse ways to waste my time with. 8/10 Bethany Cox

"Bless my soul... Herc is on a roll!"

Author: Anthony Einsel from Olympus
9 September 2000

In a sea of obscurity from Disney (from Dinosaur to Inspector Gadget to Recess to Disney's Doug to whatever things they destroyed) Hercules is one of those shows that has a lot of creativity. Now mind you, the Movie wasn't up to Disney Standards in any way you put it but was an interesting feature film that many other animated features will try to emulate. But actually the Hercules Cartoon is actually very nice.

The cast of characters are very interesting and is definitely making fun of Greek mythology and today's pop culture. This series' was more well executed that the movie of the same name. Animation is sortof typical for this kind of show, but (my God) look at the celebrities they casted for the roles. Everybody like Robert Stack (Unsolved Mysteries), Eric Idle (Monty Python) and even James Woods (The original Dead-Head: Hades) gave their talent to this show. It's sortof amazing in a sense. But I digress, this show is still much more better than the crap they put out now on Disney's One Saturday Morning but I think will never replace Disney's Nostalgic shows like Ducktales, Darkwing Duck, or even Gargoyles. Still, it's a nice show. Recommendable if you ask me.

what a cast list!!!

Author: garynamy-2 from washington dc
17 August 2001

I'm completely blown away at the cast list of this very funny, clever show. How in the world did they get (almost literally) every major living star to do a voice? I'm particularly impressed by how faithful (mostly) the stories are to the Greek and Roman sources

One of the best cartoons around today.

Author: buffy-40 from Cardiff
27 November 1999

I never saw the Hercules movie but I have seen loads of episodes of the TV series and it is a very funny show which adults will appreciate as well as kids.

It's quite educational in the fact that you get to know a lot about Greek Mythology.

The most astonishing thing about it is the voice over cast with the likes of Tate Donovan, French Stewart, Sandra Bernhard and James Woods among the regulars. And an amazing guest star cast which has seen everything from Sarah Michelle Gellar, Jenifer Aniston, Lisa Kudrow to William Shatner and Robert Stack doing voices.

To sum up a very witty show.

Intelligent, morally filled, highly recommended

Author: fmarkovic8 from Podgorica, Montenegro
31 May 2015

A great, intelligent show! Each episode presents some part of the Greek mythology in a very funny and ethic way. Really love the show! The characters are great, friendship they have is very enlightening for youngsters. It is a very good manifest for the young generations. Adults can easily watch the show as it has quite a lot of hilarious moments. Highly recommend! I am very amazed how it did not get the respectful critics and popularity. On the other side the animation is not as good as in original cartoon from 1997. However the story is still great! There is even a Disney "wiki" page which has a lot of explanations and descriptions of the characters. A great way to popularize Greek mythology in this era.

A crazy irreverent little romp!

Author: taraterm2 from USA
7 October 2002

....and one that's *way* more than halfways intelligent- indeed one needs to be half way through highschool to get half the jokes- and a few years of college don't hurt either. Hilarious,wonky, bittersweet and adorable the series follows the adventures of young teen Herc and his friends as they grow up during their high school years with surprising realism and candor for what looks at first to be a standard Saturday morning kiddie cartoon. Take the time to discover it and you''ll find it's possibly the best series Disneys ever done with Broadway quality show tunes and over 160 TV and movie guest star voices ranging from Garrison Keillor to William Shatner. James Woods and French Stewart fans are in for a special treat.

Disneys Hercules the TV Series