IMDb > "Cold Squad" (1998) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Cold Squad"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Cold Squad" More at IMDbPro »

The West Coast Edge

Author: dlhunt from Toronto, ON
5 July 2002

Miami Vice, move over. Way over! Cold Squad encompasses the drug trade, prostitution, murder, child sex abuse and political corruption. All this is investigated with cold leads that are years, sometimes decades, old.

Ali McCormick (Julie Stewart) is among toughest of cops portrayed on North American TV screens and she leads a team of cops who investigate the grittiest of crimes in the Greater Vancouver area. As a cop with an erratic schedule, Ali decides to become a Big Sister to a pre-teen girl and then develops feelings for the father of the girl. This makes her work/home life more complicated.

The complexities of being a cop on Cold Squad are further complicated by the personalities and talents of other members of the team. There is the ambitious office assistant, Christine Wren, (Joely Collins) who embarrasses superiors with her correctness and knowledge, a former undercover RCMP officer Nicco Sevallis, (Gregory Calpakis), who mixes up his alliances, the hardworking, but not very careful Mickey Kollander (Tamara Craig Thomas) and the right-wing Christian fundamentalist, Len Harper, (Matthew Bennett) who listens genuinely well before making his thoughts known to Ali.

Stewart, who has played motherly and romantic roles in the past, can glory in her success as one of the most watched hard-edged lead roles on TV today as she enters another "seasoned" season.

If her performance and scope continue, in few short years she will take her place alongside actors like Helen Mirren. Go for it, Julie!

Gripping Police Drama

Author: echo_37 from New Glasgow, Canada
30 December 2000

"Cold Squad" scores with its engaging plotlines, terrific acting (especially Julie Stewart as Sgt. McCormick), and taut direction. Hats off to CTV and the show's creators for creating and airing such a terrific Canadian police drama. For all of you Canadians who are disappointed with the quality of Canadian television series, and for TV viewers all over the world who want a good drama and are capable of receiving a Canadian show, this is for you. It's now on Saturdays at 9pm EST on CTV, so watch it! It's great!

Good, but not amazing

Author: nassty_hobbitses9 from Canada
18 June 2005

While I enjoyed this series in that it was Canadian, well acted, fairly well scripted and with a good plot, it is my personal opinion that it fails to reach the standards set by such series as CSI and Law and Order. The over-involvement of the squad's personal lives is what I think galled me the most. Don't get me wrong, I like a little personal spice thrown in here and there, but it often seemed to be more about the investigators than the investigation. But hey, if that's what you're going for, then this is certainly the show for you. I'm certainly not a expert, having only seen one season, but I did see the entire first season, and what I saw there mostly pleased me. There was a good, solid plot; a script that is much more high-brow and MUCH less painfully corny than the twenty million other hack cop shows being aired; More than decent actors who are decently but not unrealistically beautiful and who wear clothes detectives would actually WEAR; and for the fellow science nuts out there, forensics is added JUST enough to make it interesting from that aspect. All in all, I'd say, for a Canadian thing, its pretty darn amazing- but out of the whole world, I've seen better.

They're Back With A Vengeance

Author: Christopher D. Borden from Nanaimo, British Columbia
5 September 2004

After a fifteen months hiatus most of the gang is back with a few new faces - new office - same problems. A hurting Ali is back to hopefully complete a task she left unfinished before this last season closes for a final wrap. A great cop show that displays a true view into the lives of real policing in a real city setting of Vancouver, British Columbia. This series is actually shot in a location were many US TV series are shot for Hollywood North productions. The issues promoted throughout the production are about everyday subjects and one specific area of endeavor - cold cases - which haunt most big city police forces. Cold cases are matters of investigation that had roadblocks caused by insufficient evidence to closing a matter of a death by misadventure (or unexplained outcome). Persistence pays off with dogging investigators who have to play by the rules with "clientale" who committed the crime who don't play by the rules. Justice is not always swift and solved in 59 minutes and 59 seconds time frame. A strong showing by a cast that works together - not perfect but displays the quirks that naturally arise from normal people living under some unrealistic stress to please the brass, politicians and public who want the answers. Keep the faith and the job will get done. Good luck in your final season. (Thanks from an ex flatfoot) CDB

My review of Canada's series Cold Catch

Author: suzzy500 from United States
3 August 2013

I was disappointed after watching 3 episodes of this series on Hula....I'm a huge fan of crime shows and would consider myself a connoisseur of such. Our American Cold Case was a superior series, as is our CSI's and La Law's and the majority of our crime oriented well known series, are mostly quality.... I am also very familiar with several European crime series's such as Wallander , MI5,and what i consider the cream of the crop Euro crime shows...having watched many episodes of several European crime series, there is little to compare with their excellence. The Canadian production of Cold Catch i found to be mediocre at best. Poor plot construction..lots of no-brainer twists that lack substance and oh so cliché. The relationship between the redhead what's her name and her co-workers is hostile and not cohesive and has no real depth..plus as much as i hate to say it, she's not a good actress at all, and could learn much from some of our diva crime scene actresses.... I feel bad that my review is not a good one, having lived in Canada for 4 yrs..a lovely country with great people. So come on Canada you can do much better than this!

Canadian CSI: Vancouver Edition!

Author: (sylviastel@aol.com) from United States
1 September 2007

Okay, I watched the Cold Squad a few times. Expect for the fact that we have so many CSI and Law and Order shows on the air, Cold Squad would have been a great stand out. I applaud Canadian actress, Julie Stewart, who plays the lead cop, Ali McCormick, in all 7 seasons. She is on par with Dame Helen Mirren in the Prime Suspect series in England. Of course, her hairstyle reminds me of American mystery writer, Patricia Cornwell at times. The show's strength is on the location in beautiful Vancouver as Vancouver. Of course, the show has weaknesses with trying to maintain originality and uniqueness from the American shows like CSI and Law & Order. I appreciate that it is a Canadian show and I love Canadian television but I'm tired of these crime shows trying to outdo each other. There are just too many of them and they begin to resemble each other.

Not just another cop show...

Author: Lezley Gold (lucky@starplace.com) from Toronto, Ontario
27 January 1999

It's not just another cop show, it's much more than that. Very rarely have I seen a truly Canadian show that is this amazing. Filmed and set in Vancouver, BC, makes it more appealing to Canadians. Check it out, Fridays at 10pm EST on CTV.

The West Coast Edge

Author: dlhunt from Toronto, ON
5 July 2002

Fantastic first 2 seasons, then...

Author: templeorder from United States
15 August 2011

This WAS a top notch show. I'll state that i could not finish season 3. My wife and i rate season 1-2 as 9 out of 10, FANTASTIC! It was good acting, the cases were interesting, the actors were great, there was some good interpersonal tension, good mix of personal drama, and some really interesting long story arcs weaving through the seasons. Season three started and it was utter garbage. All the characters were hollywoodized, the interpersonal interaction was hostile and they ruined everything she worked for in the first 2 seasons. The actors were more U.S. glamorous, the focus was on personal lives, the cases not as interesting, and the characters were just felt corrupt and lame. Sad and pathetic. I was so sad the series nose-dived - the whole flavor changed. Julie Stewart was the only redeeming part of season three - and they took away her as a focus... she was still great.

COLD SQUAD, about his seventh season

Author: amaliacontursi from Buenos Aires, Argentina
2 March 2004

I'm a huge fan of this canadian series, which is running in our country through cable channel AXN. I consider it as outstanding as Prime suspect or Homicide,life on the streets. On august l3, 2003, their producers Keatley, MacLeod and Alliance Atlantis announced the starting of their seventh season, which first episode would be titled Mr.Bad Example. Now, since we have no further information about it, I would be very grateful if somebody would answer me if it's going on or what's happening in Toronto. We would be very sorry to loose it. I thank you in advance and send you my best wishes.