IMDb > Man of the Century (1999) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 6:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [Next]

One Note Gag that Works like the Bee Knees

Author: the_mad_mckenna from Chicago, IL
18 May 2004

Some movies are just meant to be a great deal of fun, and this is one of them. What a delight - I'd never heard of it but stumbled on it on IFC and adored it. The sweetness and good-natured aspects of the film are part of the charm, as is the dead-on dialogue, situations and even camera angles/cinematography. For people who try and find reasons why this guy exists or why women would date him, you're missing the point of the movie. The Marx Brothers ending (no spoiler really), and the short Egyptian tomb sequence show the care that was taken with getting all the 1920's aspects down perfectly (and don't forget the musical numbers, when people would break into song in any sort of film back then -well, the talkies at least). Going incognito as Harold Lloyd? too funny - don't pass this one by when it shows up next time!

A New Cult Classic

Author: artzau from Sacramento, CA
13 August 2002

I chanced to see this on a Blockbuster shelf and in the dearth of anything else worth seeing, decided to take a chance. How glad I am! This is the funniest movie I've seen in years. In spite of being the original tightwad, I've ordered the DVD and have even sent one to my son whose humor runs in the same crooked gully as mine. The gimmick of a living anachronism is a powerful one indeed but to someone like myself who was raised on reporter movies of the 20s, who saw Cagney, Raft and Powell play these kinds of roles, using the same slang and expressions, now so out of date, I literally howled with delight. The acting is wonderful. As one reviewer here noted, everyone seemed to be having a delightful time. The film is just great, from the scratchy opening credits to the final scenes. Also, if you get the DVD, be sure and check out the reference section and scene set-up after the film is over. They are just delightful. Plot? What plot? The story is an eternal one: Virtuous young man in the face of chaos struggles to maintain the fabric of order in a basically disorderly universe while falling in love and being too virtuously shy to declare his feelings to the girl he loves, beating up bad guys and defending the honor of helpless young women and, revealing to the world the archvillain at the root of the evil in the empire. And, he does it all without getting dirty, mussed or messed up and losing sight of his goal. Wow. Get this. See it. Share it. It's just too damn good to miss. You'll be glad you did, kiddo.

Lots of fun

Author: mattymatt4ever from Jersey City, NJ
20 February 2003

I've always been fascinated by the way the characters in old movies talk, with their lightning-fast wits and one-liners. So the idea of a man stuck in the 20's and speaking like those characters sounded intriguing to me. And I was impressed. Gibson Frazier perfectly inhabits his fish-out-of-water character, not missing a single beat. I can tell him and the co-writer/director did much research prior to making this movie. There are moments, like the climactic scene, which pay homage to the old slapstick farces.

"Man of the Century" is funny, original and bursting with imagination. It's an independent gem. And at only about 78 minutes, it's short and sweet. Those who are unfamiliar with old movies may not be as amused, but those who are familiar should have a ball.

My score: 7 (out of 10)

You won't regret watching it

Author: ctsteele-1 from United States
18 December 2007

Just want to get one point across: Watching this movie won't be one of those experiences were you waste a couple hours of your time, and come away with nothing for it.

Some of the posters have brought up that the movie may have some improbable quirks, etc. The beauty of this movie is that is original and entertaining. Its not deep, exciting, or pompous; but its funny and completely different than the formulaic junk being churned out right now.

If you do watch it, you'll feel you have to at least tell someone about it. That's also unusual.

fun throwback

Author: backseat-2 from Chicago
26 January 2003

I read Ebert's review of Man of the Century back in 1999, and wanted to see it ever since. Just noticed it on the Blockbuster new releases shelf and immediately forget what it was I went there for. What a treat this little gem is! The wisecracking dialogue, the homage to old movies, the snappy old songs and even some neat dance scenes contribute to the offbeat comedy. Unless you are a teenager with a 5 minute attention span and a chip on your shoulder, you will love this film.

Banana Oil!

Author: Quicksand from United States
12 May 2004

Caught this on cable quite by accident-- the idea behind it seemed really cute, and I decided to give it 10 minutes, to at least see how long it took for the filmmakers to screw it up.

Surprisingly, it held my attention for the entire film. The gimmick never got old; just when it seemed in danger of doing so, something new would happen to keep it fresh. A new character here, a plot twist there. Good, thoughtful filmmaking... and I really dug the 1920's slang. I wish I could remember more of it. Why DID we stop talking like this, anyway?

Good acting, some clever writing and a smartly-plotted story. The ending was a little cheesy, I thought, as I wanted to know the fates of the characters beyond the newspaper-story driven plot. But considering the source material, it really ended the only way it could have. So it's an amusing distraction for 90 minutes or so. And kind of educational, too. Banana Oil!

Harold in Manhattan

Author: ptb-8 from Australia
27 February 2004

If Harold Lloyd had lived in 1999 and Woody Allen starred him in a new black and white film set in MANHATTAN, well this would be it. The idea for this film is very funny and it does deliver, musical numbers and all....there is even a Shanghai Lil style detour. It could have easily been more of a musical and easily have tossed in more episodes of Johnny Twennies wrangling modern mannerisms. Gibson Frasier is a real silent movie or Vitaphone hero and the IT girl sensibilities of 'his girl' works. It is only 77 minutes and I actually wanted more. As Johnny says in one very funny toss away line........RATS! The soundtrack which I also have at home as a Saturday morning pick-me-up is cute and accurate for the feel of the film.

Great idea, great fun, wonderfully acted

Author: bobjm from Macungie, PA
9 February 2000

A newspaperman (Johnny Twennies) living in the 90's with a complete 20's personality and lifestyle - fedora, manual typewriter, the Charleston, the works. It's a great idea for a movie and it couldn't have been done better.

Johnny doesn't miss a cliche, but never uses the same one twice. You'll find yourself anticipating his reactions to the harsher '90s world as the movie goes along, you'll often guess right - but that makes the movie just that much more fun.

Lots of fun when Johnny is called on to save the same damsel in distress (named Virginia, natch) on three different occasions. She responds with appropriate fluttering eyelids each time.

His reaction to independent women, openly gay men, and the general '90s milieu is delightful. He remains happily oblivious.

Don't worry, the movie never takes itself seriously. Nobody preaches about the evil of the present, or the shallowness of the past. You end up with a warm feeling for all the characters, even the bad guys. This was one of those rare movies where you can actually feel that the performers are thoroughly enjoying their characters. The film makers make sure you know that with a delightfully offbeat ending.

Laughed so hard...

Author: JPauloDesigns from United States
28 January 2006

This movie is nothing like I expected. It was the funniest thing I've seen in a long time. The acting of Gibson Frazier is wonderful. It was as if they picked him up right out of the 20s and dropped him modern day times. It really shows the difference of then and now. I loved all the references to the 20s and dialogue. If you don't really know a lot about the 20s, or films from that time, you won't get a lot of the humor. There is simple humor, such as the "one lump or two" bit or the way he holds the gun when you takes it from the "henchmen". There is also some racial humor in it as well. Not bad I'd say, but funny. The plot you can see unfold rather quick. But that's how most movies from that time took place. Well, I take that back, at the least the majority of movies I've seen from the past usually don't take a lot of thinking to figure out. Overall, I'd recommend this movie to anyone, young or old. If anything, just watch it for his rants in 1920s dialogue. Simply brilliant!

Strange Little Indie Effort

Author: ccthemovieman-1 from United States
22 May 2006

This strange, independent film is inhabited by a bunch of no-name actors except for Frank Gorshin, who himself hadn't done much since TV shows in the 1960s. However, the acting was fine: no complaints there. The black-and-white cinematography also is good, actually VERY good. The photography, and the 1920s expressions (the era here with this story) on Gibson Frazier's face, are the best things about this film.

The worst things is almost-nothing story and too much profanity in the last 20 minutes by the hoods. The latter is overdone and left this reviewer with a bad taste in his mouth about the film in general although the very ending features a "cute" musical tune. Actually, the music is good in here all the way through. As you can gather, this is an odd film.....but definitely work a look if you are seeking something a bit different.

Page 1 of 6:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [Next]