IMDb > Hit and Runway (1999) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Hit and Runway

Hit and Runway More at IMDbPro »

Endearing if not forced at times..

Author: Boy_Anya from Ny, Ny
7 March 2004

Hit and Runway was a formulaic film school comedy. Pitting two opposited working for a common goal. What can go wrong?

Lots.

But Hit and Runway works because although filled with stereotypical characters, (The self-loathing, nebbish gay middle-aged jew and the macho, slightly homophobic, sexist young itallian.) the two actors try to get past these stereotypes by giving honest performances rather than playing the stereotypes.

I had fun watching this film. It was cleverly funny at times and the writing was great although as aforementioned sometimes it had to rely on the stereotypes of its main characters to further the plot.

7 out of 10

A relationship comedy for the new millennium?

Author: Havan_IronOak from NYC/FL
14 July 2002

This movie is a wonderful variant on a traditional movie theme, the romantic comedy. Only in this variation it would be best to call it a relationship comedy. The two protagonists meet and although they are initially uncomfortable around each other, they are forced to work toward a common goal. In doing so they form a relationship. When that relationship ends, we see a parting scene that recalls many great parting scenes of the past.

Now for the twist, it is not a romantic relationship that ends but a friendship between a straight man and a gay man. This movie has been compared to `Kiss Me Guido' but folks that feel that way are missing the point. This story is about the development of an accepting friendship between a gay man and a straight man without the issue of sexuality. Yes, the straight man starts with the stereotypical panic that the gay man will somehow take advantage of him carnally. But he needs the gay man to help him write a screenplay and as they work together they form a bond as friends. As they collaborate on the screenplay they talk and learn important life lessons from each other. The gay man helps the straight man becomes a more insightful person and with the straight man's encouragement the gay man begins to develop some self-assurance.

At one point they are so comfortable with each other that they both get drunk and end up clinging to each other for stability as they walk through the writer's apartment. They end up passed out in the same bed and in the morning the straight man has an anxiety attack that shows he's not completely over his stereotypes.

Overall I found this to be a well-crafted and engaging film. I only wish that the relationship could have turned out differently in the end. And who knows, it might.

For the Top Ten junk, movies like this are worth your time

Author: Rob/SMCA from Santa Monica, CA
5 March 2001

Hit and Runway has the same spirit of Good Will Hunting, and is done equally as well. Geez, movies where you come to know the characters, like them and care what happens to them -- individually and their relationship. What a concept! Sure, the urban setting of NYC is an easy mark for a story like this, but at least the main characters aren't yuppies and this movie shows real people living like real people. I thought this was going to be an indie film shot on a miniscule budget, but I never saw a shot that looked it. Everything seemed as well done as with a big budget throwaway (of which there are so many these days). I thought I might like this movie but didn't expect to love it. I loved it. Everyone involved should feel proud.

Movie about Friendship and Perseverance above all

Author: HALIFA_le_X from Halifax, NS
25 December 2002

Hit and Runway may at first glance appear to be another one of those movies about struggling screenwriters trying to write a movie. But unlike most of their blockbuster counterparts, this movie is not about the movie that Alex and Elliot are writing, but it is about the friendship that they forge throughout the experiment. Although the screenplay they are writing is not particulary good, the broader movie is able to focus on human nature, and the inexperienced actors are good in delivering timely humor. On the whole, a strong movie and a good career start for up-and-coming director Christopher Livingston. Well Done.

This smart, warm & funny independent offers much needed relief from big studio stupidity

Author: Darren Uhl (darrenuhl@hotmail.com) from Las Vegas, Nevada
15 May 2001

I went to see "Hit and Runway" on the same day I went to see "The Mummy Returns." After enjoying the former, I couldn't even sit through twenty five minutes of the over-produced and under-written "Mummy" sequel. "Hit and Runway" is a true gem--not perfect by any means--but so much more bright and engaging than most of what Hollywood has to offer. It is a "story within a story/odd couple" film. Though not entirely original, it does everything it sets out to do well and with great humor. Anyone who wears glasses, is Jewish, Italian, gay, writing a screenplay, looking for love, interested in how Hollywood works, and/or simply appreciates intelligent, off-beat comedy should enjoy this film. It has the sensibility of "Ben Stiller meets Woody Allen." If any of this sounds good to you, see it.

Likeable, funny film with great characters

Author: Douglas (simonson@pixi.com) from Honolulu, Hawaii
8 April 2001

I liked Hit and Runway. I went into it with just a vague idea of what it was about, and wound up being thoroughly charmed by it. It made me laugh and it kept me interested all the way. Sure, it looks a bit low-budget at times, but that's not necessarily a bad thing.

Sometimes, and particularly with this film, it can make the characters more accessible. My idea of a successful movie is one that makes me feel sad when it ends, because I'd like to spend a little more time with the people it's introduced me to. That's how I felt at the end of this film. (By the way, I also liked the music.)

Pleasantly Surprised!

Author: V-for-Vendetta from United States
12 March 2001

I have never commented on the IMDB before but felt compelled to do so when getting home from the theater. I was pleasantly surprised and enjoyed this film very much. The writing was clever, the directing excellent and the cast fantastic. I felt the editing may have needed a bit more attention...at a few moments. I don't know the actor Michael Parducci nor have I seen any of his work, but I think he did an amazing job. You really grow to like this "cool Italian guy". I hope to see more of Christopher Livingston's work in the future. Nice job!

On Becoming A Writer

Author: Lechuguilla from Dallas, Texas
11 March 2009

Set in New York City, this thoroughly modern story centers on two young men who collaborate on a screenplay, in an effort to become professional writers. Their arrangement is a kind of literary odd-couple. Alex (Michael Parducci) is an overly confident and slightly pugnacious chump who is straight. His writing partner is Elliot (Peter Jacobson), a timid gay man who lacks confidence in himself. The two are polar opposites. Yet each has personality traits important to their collective endeavor. Alex has the confidence and the dreams. Elliot has the talent.

The strength of the story is in the characters, and in the dialogue, which can be amusing at times, like when self-assured Alex says: "Hopeless is not a word in my vocabulary". To which the cerebral Elliot responds: "I suspect there are a lot of words that are not in your vocabulary".

Much of the plot is propelled by verbal conflict between the two. At one point, they are discussing a story character named "Inuska", a young woman. Alex says: "Now what was so terrible about what we were writing? It was funny, it was sexy". Elliot responds: "Inuska, the leading lady, she was two-dimensional". To which Alex fires back: "What are you talking about, two-dimensional? She was stacked!"

Some of the plot's romantic encounters are distracting. Yet they are probably necessary to engage much of the audience, as the process of writing is not visually exciting.

Alex and Elliot are two very different personalities. Yet each learns from the other. And the film's theme is about how people's lives affect their writing, and how their writing affects their lives.

"Hit And Runway" is a smart, sometimes funny, extended sitcom about two very imperfect people who must work together. The film is not some big budget, grand epic with a profound message. But it's well made. And for what it sets out to do, I think it succeeds reasonably well.

loved this film!

Author: barbragon (barbragon@hotmail.com) from Bobbi Ragon / Washington, DC
10 December 1999

This is a very well-written and entertaining movie. Elliot and Alex are great as two screenwriters with quite different personalities who collaborate on the script for a cheesy movie. Alex is a struggling Italian-American cafe worker who takes screenwriting classes at night; Elliot is a gay Jewish writer with a major crush on a very cute coworker of Alex's. Problem is, Alex doesn't seem to have any writing skills and Elliot doesn't have any confidence. A hilarious series of events conspire to bring the two together as co-writers aspiring to the shark-eat-shark world of Hollywood.

Excellent Story, Excellent Comedy; One of the best gay films ever.

Author: bc-1 from Hartford, CT
11 June 2001

The main purpose of this comment is because I was so disappointed by the other review on this site. It completely misses the point of the movie and I would hate for someone to only read that one and then not see the movie. The story is very well put together. It begins with rough, thumbnail (almost stereotypical) characters and you are ready to be put off. Then the story gradually develops and we get to know the two main characters in a full, three dimensional way. Each comes forward through the story line as complete, reasonable, and likable. The message of the movie is presented in a systematic and approachable way, without being in any way obvious or predictable. I can highly recommend this movie to anyone who is halfway sensitive and open to seeing gay people beyond the usual four corners often found in gay pride parades. By the way, if you like this movie, you will really like The Big Eden, probably opening near you soon, if not already.