IMDb > Fifteen and Pregnant (1998) (TV) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]

A great film

Author: Kayley Duffill from United Kingdom
11 June 2006

I watched this film whilst on holiday in Tenerife last year. I had to stay in and look after my then 18 month old daughter whilst my partner went down the pub with his friend. The film really hit reality for me. I was 17 when i fell pregnant and 18 when i gave birth to my daughter so a little older than Tina Spangler in the film but i could relate to all the emotions, hopes, the gutted feelings, the ups and downs that Kirsten Dunst played so well. When her friends turned against her, it was exactly what happened to me. But i soon found out into motherhood that you grow up quickly, you make new friends and have new prospects but best off all you have somebody to lavish all your love and attention on. I do not regret having my daughter and although i think this film would be fantastic to show to younger people to show them how hard pregnancy and parenthood can be, i don't think it would put teenagers and young mums off becoming a parent full stop. It was good to know that other people can understand and relate to teenage pregnancy and to make a film out of it was perfect.

Good Movie To Show TeenAgers

Author: Celine-4
21 February 1999

This is a pretty good movie and an excellent movie to show to teenagers who thinks they are ready for a baby.

Fifteen & Pregnant stars Kirsten Dunst (Interview With The Vampire) as Tina, a 15 year old girl who thinks she has the perfect life. Parents she occasionally gets along with, a lot of friends to hang out with, and a boyfriend she loves and who acts like he loves her back. Then the unexpected happens. She gets pregnant. Then her whole life is changed forever. Her mother played by Park Overall (Empty Nest) doesn't want to give it up for adoption but isn't too thrilled with the idea of her keeping it either. Her father, who is trying to be forgiven for an affair is supportive of Tina, mainly cause he doesn't really know what else to do. Her brother and sister are embarrassed by her. Her so called boyfriend is more like a wolf in sheep's clothing. She has a friend, who is single and a little older than her and has a baby. Her friend can see Tina has no idea what she's getting herself into.

As I've said, the movie is a good movie to show to a teenager who thinks they are ready for a baby. The performances are good, especially from Park Overall and Kirsten Dunst. I only have two problems with this movie. First is that none of the characters are very likable. Even Tina the main character. She's a real bitc* to anyone who looks at her wrong and I had a hard time feeling sorry for her and feeling anything for her really. I wanted to slap her a few times. Park Overall's character is also a bit hard to like.

The second thing I don't like is that the first hour and a half of the movie is very believable but during the last 1/2 hour it loses its realism and goes for the happy ending where everyone is suddenly happy and everyone is one big perfect happy family. It's as if the past hour and a half never happened and everyone changes personalities overnight.

Grade wise I'd have to give it a C+ for lack of sympathy for any of the characters and the ending.

Good for a night in, but hardly true to life

Author: sweetpuppylove from United States
13 May 2005

Fifteen and Pregnant is a typical 'Lifetime Network' Movie. Girl gets knocked up, family in turmoil, family gets over it, girl has the baby, movie skims over the gory details of teen motherhood.

Kirsten Dunst plays a teenager still in high school who gets pregnant by her loser boyfriend. She has a friend who was a teen mom and offers Kirsten's character 'real world' advice. The movie ends after Kristin's character gives birth and leaves many realities of being a single teen mom out of the movie. All in all, it's a good story that focuses on the relationship between Kirsten's character and the father of the child and how her family triumphs over adversity. The story is more of how her family, her friends, her relationship with her boyfriend are all affected by the pregnancy and her personal struggle with her feelings and the other characters regarding the pregnancy.

It's a good movie to see once if you like LMN and Lifetime Movies.

Lessons in life can change your life.

Author: Michael O'Keefe from Muskogee OK
4 July 2001

A very good movie for both young guys and girls to watch; especially when they think they are ready for the real world. Lessons learned are not easy and even blessings can come from mistakes. A teen(Kirsten Dunst) and her estranged parents(Park Overall and David Andrews)try to deal with the girl's unplanned pregnancy.

Dunst gives you a peek at a rising star. Overall showed the best talent in her emotional role. Supporting cast includes: Julia Whelan and a very dramatic Marlyn Mason.

this film is so awesome

Author: georgina1519 from United Kingdom
3 July 2006

I first watched this film when i was ten years old and i loved it. i love babies and anything to do with babies. I now do health and social care and i realised what percentage of teenage girls actually get pregnant in a year. where i live in northolt we the second highest teenage pregnancy rate in england. But the main reason i liked this film is because it looks at what teenage mums or mums-to-be go through during or after their pregnancy. Fifteen and Pregnant also involved the good and bad possibilities that can happen and i think it showed any teenage girl who watch this film what to expect and will in the future. I would recommend this film to my friends. And it's one of those films that you watch over and over again. To be honest i watched it two days ago on true movies on sky. I think that more true stories like this should be shown in schools to cut down on pregnancy rates across the world. It may help, it may not, but we can try.

Child becomes Mother

Author: Burn4me81 from Alabama
31 December 2002

In this movie a 15-year-old gets pregnant, and fears telling her parents. Although this girl is very young, she decides right off not to have an abortion or give her child up for adoption. She makes and adult decision when she decides as a mother that her child has a better chance with her than with some other family. This movie is a prime example of how teenagers will be teenagers, siblings will fight, and parents will be there until the very end. The main focus of this movie is young Tina who will soon give birth to a child. In the begining of this movie you will see how she is just a child, sand proves it in many ways. Throughout the movie you will see her grow out of immaturity in to a young woman before her child is born. All teens should have to watch this child struggle with the fact that she is going to have to be a mature woman and mother to the child on the way. There are the "religious view of others" that are strictly opinion about how this child is going to raise her baby. They are wrong. At the end of this movie it left you on a high on how her family accepted Tina and her baby. I feel that the reason they gave this impression is that the damage has been done why cause more damage to this young life who now has a child top raise? We all know what will be coming in the years ahead.

A good TV movie.

Author: (llihilloh)
5 December 2000

This is just an all-right movie. Nothing great, but interesting enough to watch. The cast, plot, and writing was all good, but it kept getting off track.

If this movie is about a teen pregnancy, than it should stay focused on that topic. A couple of different situations were played around with. Evie and Cal's failed marriage was a subject that should have been left out. Rachel's wanting to live with her grandmother was another topic that had no effect on the main one. It was just an easy way to fade her out during the final months of Tina's pregnancy. Stay on the topic mentioned in the title, and we might be okay.

The cast was very well put together and they worked really good as a fictional family. Kirsten Dunst was excellent in the role of Tina Spangler. I think that she's the kind of person where you can get adjusted to her in any role. As always, she is why this movie is good. Park Overall, was very good as well. She added a certain mother-like atmosphere to the movie. Dave Andrews, who kind of stood back, played a believable parent also. Julia Whelan and Zach Sherman added their parts of sibling rivalry when it was necessary.

Another thing that I didn't like about this movie is that there were too many characters. The Spangler family, grandma, Melody, Jane, Laurie, and Ray, were all given parts to where they were important parts in the movie, but it was just overcrowded. The main characters like Tina, Evie, and Cal are okay, but everyone else sort of popped up whenever those three needed to talk to somebody. Tina's boyfriend, Ray, was obviously a very important part, but he could have had a bigger role with more lines.

The writing was enjoyable to watch, but it still had something wrong with it. Maybe it was the long scenes with no point to them. The scenes with Evie and Cal were especially unnecessary.

Overall, this was a well designed, low budget movie that had its faults but was still good. Since this movie is very real, it would be good to show to teenagers who think that they are ready for a child. I'm pretty sure that they might change their mind if they knew what comes along with having a baby. There's a couple of things that I would change about Fifteen and Pregnant, but I still liked it. It was a good TV movie.

Stupid characters in a stupid movie

Author: (nathanhydes@hotmail.com) from Chicago
10 June 2001

"Fifteen and Pregnant starts" off trying to give teenage pregnancy a bad image (which was the right approach to take), but by the end it decides to dump the realism and go for the feel-good ending. Big mistake. At no time in the movie is any real thought given to adoption. The young girl and her mother take on the ultimate selfish perspective when they say, "We just can't stand the thought of having one of our 'own' living in the world without us." Only the younger sister had the brains to get up and say, "Hey, give this kid to a two-parent household who can take care of it." Too bad no one listens to kids. I kept thinking something was going to happen, but nothing did. We just sit for two hours and watch a young girl with a lot of potential throw her life down the toilet while her apathetic parents stand beside her and applaud. Very sad.

Fantastic movie

Author: Deeni Aarts from perth, Australia
15 December 2004

i found "fifteen and Pregnant" to be a real moving story, also very true as to what would happen if a young girl was to get pregnant. Kirsten is a fantastic actor, especially in heart moving films like this one. her boyfriend is a drop kick and you can tell from the very beginning that he wont stick around, also the way he has the nerve to show up at the birth with his new girlfriend after just dumping Tina! very unappealing!

but overall this movie will make you laugh, cry and sometimes get mad all at the same time. i put this as one of my most favorite movies yet. Fantastic Film!

A bit too lax on the difficulties of being a teen mother

Author: Mel J from Dundee, Scotland
17 May 2006

'Fifteen and Pregnant' is a made-for-TV film clearly aimed at warning teenage girls (and boys) that unprotected sex is a big no-no but while it is an enjoyable film in itself about how families must pull together, it just isn't hard-hitting enough to get the message across.

Kirsten Dunst is in the role of fifteen-year-old Tina, who ends up pregnant after losing her virginity to her lay-about boyfriend. Of course, despite his promises, he quickly takes off as Tina's bump begins to grow leaving her to cope with the dual difficulties of teen pregnancy and single motherhood. Meanwhile, Tina's family are left reeling with the news that their teenage daughter is about to make them grandparents.

The film did raise the interesting point of how younger children feel when their teenage siblings fall pregnant as well as depict the shock, shame and worry parents are left languishing in at such news. However, it would have been far more effective as a teaching tool had Tina had a harder time of things (she was lucky that she had a supportive family, something not all teen mothers will have) and had we been able to see her cope with the sleepless nights and endless crying when the baby finally arrived.

That said, it would probably was quite effective in some way in showing teens of the Ninties that a baby at fifteen is not like caring for a doll. However, to be quite honest, to have an impact in today's schools, Tina is a bit old for a teenage mother. I imagine in a couple of years time, this film will be re-made with a pre-teen moppet cast in the role of Tina and be re-named 'Twelve and Pregnant'.

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]