IMDb > Black Cat Run (1998) (TV) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Black Cat Run (TV) More at IMDbPro »

Strong road-chase action film, comparable to Duel.

Author: Gary Imhoff (gary@dcwatch.com) from Washington, DC
7 October 1999

Black Cat Run has a plot that could be written on a napkin, and drives down a well-traveled road, but generates more excitement than many "better written" movies. It's a chase film -- the hero tries to overtake and rescue his captured girlfriend before he himself is caught by pursuing policemen. But in it car stunts that we've seen many times before seem fresh and exciting, and the bad guys, who are almost as uniformly menacing as the monsters in a horror movie, are still authentically scary. The closest parallel is Spielberg's Duel, in which the characters are monotoned, the plot is straightforward and simple, but the thrills are real. In both cases, the director deserves the credit for knowing how to pace, time, frame, and present simple material in order to involve the audience emotionally.

Give it a dance.

Author: rarematters from Midwest
4 January 2004

"That boy's dumber than a barrel of hair," actually an unexpectedly funny line from the movie. Some one-of-a-kinds. This movie isn't necessarily a mystery (as IMDB listed), not necessarily an action/drama as stored at Movie Gallery, and surprisingly by the laughs I got, isn't necessarily a comedy. It will not win any awards, but it's a bunch of entertainment in one box! Did anyone take Smokey and the Bandit seriously - besides people who went out and bought black Trans Ams - but, it was great for two hours of looks. And so is "Black Cat Run." Warning: Overwhelming shoot 'em in the head violence, but there's lots going on here and the gore just comes and goes - not as revolting as you would guess. Jake Busey adds more than his annoying character takes away. There were a couple of reviews I ignored when I gave this movie a dance. If you even remotely like squealing tires, dusty car chases, or a guy fighting for his girl, dance a little baby.

"ARMAGEDDON" thrills on a "Blair Witch" budget

Author: Christopher T. Chase (cchase@onebox.com) from Arlington, VA.
1 February 2000

Okay, so maybe the budget wasn't quite that miniscule, but you can tell this isn't one of the pictures that would be "big" enough for a Joel Silver or a Jerry Bruckheimer to bother with. But that's fine, because even with the tried-and-true action sequences, the execution is well-done and fast-paced. Frank Darabont contributes some solid character development, a real change for an action picture, so anybody out there with ADD may want to fast-forward through the first third. Of course it won't make any sense without the initial set-up, but since when did that bother the majority of the audience this flick is aimed at?

And to paraphrase the old saying, what's the most important thing about a low-budget action flick? Casting, casting, casting. You'll never find nastier or more dependable villains than the ones that Peter Greene (THE MASK, PULP FICTION) and Kevin J. O'Connor (DEEP RISING, THE MUMMY) specialize in. Not to mention Russell Means, for that extra touch of "desert ethnicity." Patrick Muldoon and Jake Busey were castmates in Paul Verhoeven's STARSHIP TROOPERS, and character favorites Rex Linn, Jeffrey DeMunn and Lois Chiles round out the lineup. Can't go wrong with a roster like that.

Not a movie that pretends to be anything but what it is, so when you want high-speed chases and shoot-'em-up, blow-'em-up-real-good sequences, fire up the VCR with this one, pop the popcorn and have at it.

Good

Author: southernblond15f from Texas
14 September 2003

I really like this movie.It is always nice to see the very hot and handsome Peter Greene play the mean,nasty villain and of course the very beautiful Amelia Heinle.I can't forget Patrick Muldoon.He was hot in this movie also.

Lots of action and I love the cool cars.The only part of the movie I had a problem with is when Johnny Dale backed out of the garage through a brick wall being so close...*L*....Overall the movie was awseome and full of excitement.

Goal of Entertainment Acheived

Author: Scottie (umassjsp@yahoo.com) from Cape Cod, MA
24 December 2003

Caught this on HBO. Thoroughly enjoyed it but not one for the kiddies to watch. Gratuitous violence wasn't necessary but more shots of female lead would have been appreciated. For someone living up here in the Northeast it was very interesting seeing the landscape down in the Southwest. Bottom line was that I was entertained and this could be a cult film staple. Catch this one if you can.

The little action movie that could...

Author: bball-4 from Pasadena. CA.
14 June 1999

Small budget action film with strong Frank Darabont (Shawshank, Green Mile) characters and nice direction. Better than most 60 million dollar studios films. Rent it and have some fun.

Homage to old UIP action film

They Got Sara Jane!!

Author: ehrldawg from illinois
17 October 2011

I was trucking along down the back roads of Texas. When all of the sudden, a platoon of smokies is headed my way at a high rate of speed. I instinctively looked into my right convex before I pulled over on the shoulder. But there was a sweet black Olds 422 riding the shoulder at about my trailer tandems. Just as soon as the smokies passed,the 422 took off like a trucker headed for the buffet table. Im thinking maybe Mr 422 had a thing with the sheriffs daughter.

Amelia Heinkle and Lois Chiles is hot!!

---One Truck Drivers Opinion---

erldwgstruckermovies.com

Classic Hostage Flick

Author: sydneyswesternsuburbs from Australia
15 August 2011

Director D.J. Caruso who also created the classic flick, The Salton Sea 2002 has created another gem in Black Cat Run.

Starring Patrick Muldoon who has also been in other classic flicks, Home Room 2002, Chain of Command 2000 and Starship Troopers 1997.

Also starring Peter Greene who has also been in other classic flicks, Training Day 2001, Under Siege 2: Dark Territory 1995, Pulp Fiction 1994 and Judgement Night 1993.

Also starring Amelia Heinle.

Also starring Jake Busey who has also been in other classic flicks, Identity 2003, Starship Troopers also with Patrick Muldoon and another classic hostage flick, S.F.W. 1994.

I enjoyed the chase scenes and violence.

If you enjoyed this as much as I did then check out other classic hostage flicks, Twelve Rounds 2009, Bone Dry 2007, Born to Fight 2004, Buffalo '66 1998, Buried 2010, Caged 2010, Cellular 2004, Cohen and Tate 1988, Cube 1997, Deadly Outbreak 1996, Die Hard 1988, John Boorman's The Emerald Forest 1985, The Girl Next Door 2007, Hostel 2005, Joshua Tree 1993, The King of Comedy 1982, The Loved Ones 2009, Marine 2006, Martyrs 2008, Mum & Dad 2008, Night of the Juggler 1980, No Contest 1995, Oldboy 2003, Otis 2008, P2 2007, Forced to Kill 1994, The Pack 2010, Phone Booth 2002, Point Blank 1998, The Sadist 1963, Saw 2004, Saw II 2005, Sudden Death 1995, Taken 2008, This Night I'll Possess Your Corpse 1967, Films to Keep You Awake: To Let 2006, Trapped 1989, The Way of the Gun 2000, Riot 1997, Whisper 2007, Wolf Creek 2005, The Baytown Outlaws 2012, Olympus Has Fallen 2012, Airheads 1994, No One Lives 2012, Julia X 2011 and Dying Room Only 1973.

lean, gritty grinder with a beautiful soundtrack

Author: JamieWJackson from United States
28 May 2014

I've read the other reviews posted here so far, and pretty much agree with all of them, both good and bad. It isn't an Oscar movie and yeah, there are some silly -- and typical -- violations of physics and logic in places. Despite those flaws, I really enjoyed this one a lot. All the characters felt real -- at least, real enough for an action movie. Some very droll lines sprinkled around, although not enough to recommend it simply on that basis. The pacing was good and I never knew for sure what was coming next. I felt like the movie had a good sense of itself and held its direction throughout.

The one thing I want to call out, though, which nobody else has mentioned, is the luscious soundtrack. Some really tasty, slow guitar on top of businesslike chord structures. It's not flashy, but it is soulful and sweet. Great sounds and the mixing was spot on: the music was there when it should be but never stepped on any dialogue. Great job!

I wouldn't mind having this soundtrack, and I never say that.

Bad Ass Car

Author: sv_gc_jaycee from United States
26 November 2006

The Car that is in this movie is by far my favorite car ever for any car enthusiast you would like this movie for that specific reason. (It's an Olds 442 with A big Nitrous Bottle) Cars are my life so that is why I love this movie so Much Hopefully you will enjoy the movie as well just keep an open mind about all of the poor acting but there are some up and coming Stars such as Jake Busey, who is in the new Road House 2 movie. As we all know Jake Busey is the son of Gary Busey the wacky but extremely good actor Who has stared in numurous movies with some of my favorite being another Black Sheep in which he plays a really crazy war veteran but can you really imagine Gary Busey playing any other character but a crazy one? I really like him on celebrity fit club too he was the heart and soul of the whole program during that season.