"ABC Afterschool Specials" Seasonal Differences (1987)

« Prev | 109 of 156 Episodes | Next »

Bring back the after school specials! We Need Them!

Author: (sylviastel@aol.com) from United States
9 June 2007

Seasonal Differences had a great cast including the wonderful, incomparable Uta Hagen as a Holocaust survivor Omi and family matriarch. Her Jewish American granddaughter played by Canadian actress Megan Follows who is under-rated, is dating a non-Jewish boy. Friction occurs at school when the nativity scene raises highbrows and causes problems among religions. What I remember most about this after-school special was the seriousness and delicate approach that was made to understanding two people from different religions, Judaism and Christianity. The special was special because it taught and displayed religion as a positive rather than negative around the holiday time. When her boyfriend and Omi talk about Christmas presents, he makes a negative remark but Christmas is about miracles in general. We need miracles no matter what faith you are in this day. Seasonal Differences was a great example of teaching students and teens like I was about respecting and tolerating differences and sharing them and celebrating them too.