IMDb > Fight Club (1999) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Fight Club More at IMDbPro »

Page 10 of 299: [Prev][5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [Next]

You Are Not Your F'king Khakis.

Author: The Seperator _
7 February 2014

Nearly everyone knows the rules, number one of which I'm about to break.

What do you do if you're sick of your boring, pathetic life? In the most cathartic, DIY approach possible, Fight Club answers this question: you change it. The absolute prototype of an existential thriller, it wouldn't be taking too much of a leap to suggest that Fight Club is one of the best films ever made.

Jim Uhls' excellently adapted screenplay of Chuck Palahniuk's novel (this is the only major work by Uhls that I can find), this thriller has been exciting male audiences the world over since its release in 1999. Even Palahniuk himself said the film was amazing. In fact, he admitted that film was so good, the book in comparison made him feel ashamed.

A nameless, pitiful, seemingly friend and family-less Office worker (Edward Norton) suffers from insomnia. True to Palahniuk's style, the solution to the insomnia comes in a bizarre way. He finds relief by attending support groups for diseases, diseases he doesn't have; these people really listen to him, and afterwards, he sleeps. At these meetings he meets Marla Singer (Helena Bonham Character), a nemesis and lover, and it is through her that Mr. Office worker discovers his true self, but not until after he's transformed more than just his own life.

Mr. Pitiful Office worker meets Tyler Durden (Brad Pitt). Durden helps Mr. Pitiful Office worker admit to his misery once and for all. Channeling their suppressed male aggression in its rawest form, they start fighting each other. Soon Mr. Pitiful Office worker realizes that he and Durden are not alone.

Men, downtrodden, tired of their insignificance as worthless individuals all aim to do something greater. They jump at the chance to vent their primal steam, and the solo fights turn into group fights.

Durden's vision eventually transcends aggression in its physical form and becomes something much greater, a community where the individual ceases to exist. As part of this whole, every unnamed member is an equal and significant contributor, and it is through the whole that the individual finds meaning. As part of the whole they are changing the future together.

This movie is a directing marvel. With time shifts, psychological manipulations, and very meticulous scene planning, we are kept on the edge of our seats for the entire film. Accompanied by the pounding soundtrack composed by the Dust Brothers, Fincher achieves the rarity of making a movie better than a book. Fincher turns the concrete basement of Lou's Tavern into perhaps the most famous arena in all of modern film. The house on Paper Street, a lone abandoned mansion, becomes a factory of redefinition, of reinvention. In the final scene an amazing mesh between the visuals and the music, The Pixies' "Where is my Mind," Fincher creates one of the most stunning combinations of sight and sound in all of film. And it's a pretty damn good ending to the plot too.

The most memorable scene is when Durden is behind the wheel of a car full of passengers. He buckles up, pins the gas, and lets go of the wheel. The car veers off the road and crashes, flipping multiple times. We are force fed the hard truth here. The Fight Club mantra: to change to our lives we need to rid ourselves of our past failures, forget the job, the kids, the car, the living room, the flat screen HDTV, and just let go.

Get more at David Fincher and more at getthebonesaw.blogspot.com

Great movie worth watching over and over.

Author: Jon Brown from Ohio
20 January 2014

Really enjoyed this movie, even where it differed from the novel, which is rare for me. From the first scene to the end credits I was completely memorized by the constantly evolving story lines and instantly classic quotes. This combined with the large numbers of great actors makes this one of my personal favorites. I highly suggest that anyone who hasn't watched this movie to give it a chance. Among my favorite scenes were the ones involving Tyler speaking about his father while taking a bath, and the scene where he is addressing the members of fight club saying how a whole generation is stuck pumping gas and wasting their lives. The two monologues that he gives in those scenes emphasize some of the more major concerns that men in today's society have to face everyday.

Author: casajb91 from Italy
20 January 2014

The fight club is an vent valve, frequented by people from every social class, a place where violence extinguishes the pains of the human soul and the fear outside the borders our body. An introspective film, with an ending that twists the full sense of the history that makes it the second poor vision. The characters, both protagonists who do not, I think they are deliberately not outlined, but at the same time very charismatic. The location, very evocative soundtrack and a very good standard, giving the feeling of a oppressive society, who can not find a way to go, in a world created by the powerful for the powerful. The climate is perpetually tense and the the rhythm is very smooth, all seasoned with a good director.

MY REVIEW: Join the Club!!

Author: Sandeep Gupta from Jaipur, India
13 January 2014

Fight Club. Starring Brad Pitt and Edward Norton. Edward an insomniac office worker looking for a way to change his life crosses paths with a devil-may-care soap maker Brad and they form an underground fight club that evolves into something much, much more. It's not an easy movie, it's dangerous, brutal, confrontational, a satire on modern life, brilliantly acted, packs hell lot of clap worthy one liners and above all has a distinctive tone to himself that you can't take your eyes off even for a second. Director David Fincher quite clearly understands when to go fast, when to pause so that you can enjoy the delicious scenes. He takes you through a thrilling roller coaster ride with an array of crazy characters in crazy places and in crazy circumstances. I personally did not like the way it ended but that's just a nitpicking. Don't Miss It!!

cool movie

Author: grotasbatam batam from Indonesia
12 January 2014

Fight Club is multi-faceted movie about a man who is deeply unsatisfied with his life in the modern age, even with all the trappings of success that much of our society is based on, and decides to go off the beaten path to find his own personal satisfaction. From that point on the movie spirals out of control and into the abyss. This is a good thing. The movie holds many meanings and shows the characters in favorable and unfavorable ways. It does not try to cast things in a typical good and evil view point, nor does it say whether the choices the protagonist and the rest of the cast make are sound ones. One of the things it does do is look into the nature of our past, viewing the structure of our society and analyzing why we do what we do to live. It isn't until the narrator (Edward Norton) begins to destroy himself that he finally comes to realize what matters to him. That is when he meets two important characters, Marla Singer and Tyler Durden. It is during this time that the narrator escapes from his normal life by hosting with Tyler an underground fight club that evolved from the two just fighting outside of a local bar. Taking in Tyler's view on life, which is somewhat refreshing and scary at the same time, they form a close bond strongly resembling a married couple. The two do everything together and the narrator begins to emulate Tyler more and more, all the while the fight club grows stronger and stronger until it has become this cult-like phenomenon with Tyler and the narrator as leaders making rules for conducting fight club. Anarchy and non-conformity is their message, which I believe is meant to underscore the irony of fight club and their non-conformist, fight the man attitude. As the group evolves into something more dangerous, this irony becomes more apparent in the way those who once questioned the established authority, now blindly follow their "non-conformist" new group. Its been a little over a decade since Fight Club "enlightened" me, but it still gives me the same conflicting feelings about its message and the nature of humanity in general. There are those who would take it at its face value and see nothing but frustrated, grown men beating each other senselessly, and that's a shame because there is definitely much more going on then that. David Fincher has crafted an excellent movie: it's disgustingly stylish in its execution...almost too much, if that's possible. The sound track, done by the Dust Brothers burrowed it's way into my brain and never left. The movie would not be the same without it. As far as the actors performances, Ed Norton and Brad Pitt both have a strong rapport and the scenes come off naturally, while Helena Bonham Carter's Marla is hauntingly tragic, and filled with a desperate, but subtle sadness to her. At the time of the original screening this movie polarized people into the two camps of love or hate, due to it's ability to offended or amaze, but I wouldn't have it any other way

Fight club depicts the loneliness of a man in the modern age

Author: Hisham Tarar from Pakistan
27 December 2013

Fight Club is a unique movie.It provides quality entertainment. Basically it depicts the boring and dull life of an average western person.He is so fed up of his routine office life that he starts to find joy in fighting, which he starts by himself in a club.Later on, people start entering in his fighting club.They start to grow from a few to thousands and up to the level that they create chaos in the whole country. Theme of the movie is that in the modern age people are slaves of the system and they have no freedom for pursuing what they desire.They have to walk on the guidelines of the society and at last die. The hero is actually shown suffering from some sort of personality disorder but on the other way around it shows that due to his dull life life he has got no real friend and he enjoys his own company by hanging out by himself.Its the dilemma of modern age.

An engaging and gripping ride that rarely lets up and shines with humor and style

Author: Trevor Mangum (madinpoland) from United States
15 December 2013

The action and intensity of Fight Club (1999) starts immediately and rarely lets up throughout this captivating and thrilling ride. The unnamed Narrator (Edward Norton) suffers from insomnia and after his failed attempts to seek medical attention to help him sleep, he finds his treatment in support groups for people suffering from life threatening illnesses. Although not suffering from cancer himself, the Narrator finds himself able to sleep because he's able to cry and release himself during these group meetings. His ability to cry at these groups and in turn the ability to sleep is all but ruined when Marla Singer (Helena Bonham Carter) forces him to stop attending the meetings. The frequent use of voice-over narration is used "as an expository device to convey necessary background information" (Boggs & Petrie, 2008, p. 275) throughout the film. A young professional who's a slave to material possessions and expensive lifestyle works as a Recall Coordinator by day and his very existence has been in buying things he thinks he needs and that will complete him. While away on travel, the Narrator, still suffering from insomnia, meets Tyler Durden (Brad Pitt) and exchanges contact information that later leads the Narrator to a complete lifestyle transformation. The newly discovered therapy eventually becomes the underground boxing arena known as Fight Club that exists only during certain hours and is something nobody's supposed to talk about.

The distorted and often industrial sounds give a glimpse into the troubled mind of the Narrator unlike any other (Boggs & Petrie, 2008). The growth of Fight Club from an every Saturday meeting, turns into a nightly club spanning the country which takes form and evolves into something much more with plans to destroy the current social and economic system that Fight Club denounces. The action scenes literally provide an explosive and awe inspiring reaction on all fronts in addition to gruesome and visceral fighting scenes. The low-lighting in the grimy basements focus the attention solely on the action in the center and the bone-crunching sounds of men fighting provide frightening realism. Only after the Narrator's struggle to contain what he's started does the choice come for him to make a decision that will ultimately define his and Marla's life for the future. A gripping, stylish, and very cerebral ride through the senses can be likened to the film Pulp Fiction by Quentin Tarantino. The dark humor and ironic themes prevalent throughout take charge in a film that provides a somewhat eclectic timeline but still organized structure and emphasis on action and spoken dialogue. Fight Club will demand multiple viewings not just to fully grasp the story, but to experience the timeless mastering of an all out assault on the senses. By realizing that the possessions the Narrator worked so hard to own end up owning him, Fight Club encourages, inspires, and provokes thought that give the audience an interesting and unique perspective that will not be forgotten.

Boggs, J., & Petrie, D. (2008). The Art of Watching Films (7th ed.).

New York, NY: McGraw-Hill. Fincher, D. (Director), & Uhls, J. (Writer). (1999). Fight Club

United States: Fox 2000 Pictures.

great movie with "that 180º turn" in the end

Author: zemnas from Portugal
10 December 2013

I didn't know what to expect when i saw this movie, people talked about it and how great it was and that ending... and one day i wanted to know what all that fuss was about and i don't regret it.

The story is really well crafted and the passage from one scene to another can be great, a very pretty movie with unusual camera angles.

The actors were a good choice and they give a great performance to characters that have a strong personality, and it is a testament of the world we live in.

I really love the movie and recommend it to everyone that loves a good movie with great twists.

Author: mishellbg
9 December 2013

The unnamed narrator is a traveling automobile company employee who suffers from insomnia. His doctor refuses to give him medication and advises him to visit a support group to witness more severe suffering. The narrator attends a support group for testicular cancer victims and, after fooling them into thinking that he is a fellow victim, finds an emotional release that relieves his insomnia. He becomes addicted to attending support groups and pretending to be a victim, but the presence of another impostor, Marla Singer, disturbs him, so he negotiates with her to avoid their meeting at the same groups.

After a flight home from a business trip, the narrator finds his apartment destroyed by an explosion. He calls Tyler Durden, a soap salesman whom he befriended on the flight, and they meet at a bar. A conversation about consumerism leads to Tyler inviting the narrator to stay at his place; outside the bar he requests that the narrator hit him. The two engage in a fistfight, and the narrator later moves into Tyler's dilapidated house. They have further fights outside the bar, and these attract a crowd of men. The fighting moves to the bar's basement where the men form a "fight club", a routine opportunity to fight recreationaly.

A true man movie!

Author: TrayvonMartin from United States
2 December 2013

I warned of spoilers in that little box up there, so don't be blacklisting me! I don't necessarily give movies a 10 because they seem like infallible movies from heaven above. I give movies a 10 because they are so kick razz that I watched them 100 times and I still love each viewing.

Ratings are really relative to the personality of the viewer and/or reviewer. Fight Club is superbly made with the awesome Edward Norton whose alter-ego/second personality is Brad Pitt.

They start bad razz clubs underneath bars for men to kick the living crap out of each other to attain some relief. How awesome is that? I won't spoil it too much, but I did give warning. I'm going to skip over most of the surprises within the movie, but will say that Meatloaf has a nice rack.

Lastly I do want to say that a weird cult that starts taking down corporate overlords is totally awesome. We are a generation of men raised by women. We spend fake money on stupid shlt we don't need.

Very deep and just totally awesome to me. Censors, well I censored my own naughty words I believe. If not, do it for me!

Everyone watch this. Especially if you are drunk with the guys. Don't be surprised when the cops respond to the noise complaint as you cheer the revolution on.