IMDb > Fight Club (1999) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Fight Club

Fight Club More at IMDbPro »

Page 9 of 277: [Prev][4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [Next]

Excellent

Author: yareninmekani
10 February 2014

This movie is very beautiful.I watch one of the most beautiful movie. Brad Pitt is excellent actor. i like this movie. I was surprised but i have got a problem. if the narrator is Tyler, who stole car? How the narrator watched this event outside. I felt sorry for dövülmüş.I think the narrator should be treated. Marla that is very unnecessary. If she not to be never doesn't change anything for the movie. I think people shouldn't get away of their problems. In my opinion, last of movie shouldn't surprise. I'm confused. But nonetheless, it was very nice. It should be continue. Because I was very impressed. I would like once again.

Fabulously Shot

Author: (vorachonprinceofretail@gmail.com)
7 February 2014

Lovely movie that picks at your brain. Great cinematic effects with superb performances. One of Brad Pitt's best. Helena Bonham Carter as usual is in her prime performing on screen. Subtle contemporary costume design and marvelous editing. Extremely hesitant of watching this movie but decided to pop it in one day. Very great movie but not exactly one of my favorites. Entertaining enough but definitely not something of my usual taste!

Edward Norton is also not to be unnoticed. Far from what I expect with a twist on character arches. Personally I thought this literally would be a movie about fighting. However I learned more about the complexities of the mind through each chapter of this picture.

You Are Not Your F'king Khakis.

Author: The Seperator _
7 February 2014

Nearly everyone knows the rules, number one of which I'm about to break.

What do you do if you're sick of your boring, pathetic life? In the most cathartic, DIY approach possible, Fight Club answers this question: you change it. The absolute prototype of an existential thriller, it wouldn't be taking too much of a leap to suggest that Fight Club is one of the best films ever made.

Jim Uhls' excellently adapted screenplay of Chuck Palahniuk's novel (this is the only major work by Uhls that I can find), this thriller has been exciting male audiences the world over since its release in 1999. Even Palahniuk himself said the film was amazing. In fact, he admitted that film was so good, the book in comparison made him feel ashamed.

A nameless, pitiful, seemingly friend and family-less Office worker (Edward Norton) suffers from insomnia. True to Palahniuk's style, the solution to the insomnia comes in a bizarre way. He finds relief by attending support groups for diseases, diseases he doesn't have; these people really listen to him, and afterwards, he sleeps. At these meetings he meets Marla Singer (Helena Bonham Character), a nemesis and lover, and it is through her that Mr. Office worker discovers his true self, but not until after he's transformed more than just his own life.

Mr. Pitiful Office worker meets Tyler Durden (Brad Pitt). Durden helps Mr. Pitiful Office worker admit to his misery once and for all. Channeling their suppressed male aggression in its rawest form, they start fighting each other. Soon Mr. Pitiful Office worker realizes that he and Durden are not alone.

Men, downtrodden, tired of their insignificance as worthless individuals all aim to do something greater. They jump at the chance to vent their primal steam, and the solo fights turn into group fights.

Durden's vision eventually transcends aggression in its physical form and becomes something much greater, a community where the individual ceases to exist. As part of this whole, every unnamed member is an equal and significant contributor, and it is through the whole that the individual finds meaning. As part of the whole they are changing the future together.

This movie is a directing marvel. With time shifts, psychological manipulations, and very meticulous scene planning, we are kept on the edge of our seats for the entire film. Accompanied by the pounding soundtrack composed by the Dust Brothers, Fincher achieves the rarity of making a movie better than a book. Fincher turns the concrete basement of Lou's Tavern into perhaps the most famous arena in all of modern film. The house on Paper Street, a lone abandoned mansion, becomes a factory of redefinition, of reinvention. In the final scene an amazing mesh between the visuals and the music, The Pixies' "Where is my Mind," Fincher creates one of the most stunning combinations of sight and sound in all of film. And it's a pretty damn good ending to the plot too.

The most memorable scene is when Durden is behind the wheel of a car full of passengers. He buckles up, pins the gas, and lets go of the wheel. The car veers off the road and crashes, flipping multiple times. We are force fed the hard truth here. The Fight Club mantra: to change to our lives we need to rid ourselves of our past failures, forget the job, the kids, the car, the living room, the flat screen HDTV, and just let go.

Get more at David Fincher and more at getthebonesaw.blogspot.com

A Classic that still holds up after all these years

Author: BlueStrawberrySwirl from Australia
22 January 2014

Such a visual feast! One of David Fincher's finest! I am such a huge fan of this film. Basically, the film is about an underground fight club created when our narrator loses his home. Whilst the clothing is dated - the performances and the message of the story are still so powerful. Helena Bonham Carter is outstanding as Marla Hooch! Such a dark, morbid character. Edward Norton is at his "dual-self" best, and Brad Pitt is mind-blowing. Meatloaf actually proves he can act (- and very well) Jared Leto has a small but definitely memorable role - as "Angel Face" Definitely a great film. I really wish that The Dust Brothers and David Fincher would collaborate again! I do love the Reznor/Fincher collaborations - but the Dust Brothers certainly added a wonderful element - particularly to this film. I give it 7/10

Great movie worth watching over and over.

Author: Jon Brown from Ohio
20 January 2014

Really enjoyed this movie, even where it differed from the novel, which is rare for me. From the first scene to the end credits I was completely memorized by the constantly evolving story lines and instantly classic quotes. This combined with the large numbers of great actors makes this one of my personal favorites. I highly suggest that anyone who hasn't watched this movie to give it a chance. Among my favorite scenes were the ones involving Tyler speaking about his father while taking a bath, and the scene where he is addressing the members of fight club saying how a whole generation is stuck pumping gas and wasting their lives. The two monologues that he gives in those scenes emphasize some of the more major concerns that men in today's society have to face everyday.

Fight Club

Author: casajb91 from Italy
20 January 2014

The fight club is an vent valve, frequented by people from every social class, a place where violence extinguishes the pains of the human soul and the fear outside the borders our body. An introspective film, with an ending that twists the full sense of the history that makes it the second poor vision. The characters, both protagonists who do not, I think they are deliberately not outlined, but at the same time very charismatic. The location, very evocative soundtrack and a very good standard, giving the feeling of a oppressive society, who can not find a way to go, in a world created by the powerful for the powerful. The climate is perpetually tense and the the rhythm is very smooth, all seasoned with a good director.

MY REVIEW: Join the Club!!

Author: Sandeep Gupta from Jaipur, India
13 January 2014

Fight Club. Starring Brad Pitt and Edward Norton. Edward an insomniac office worker looking for a way to change his life crosses paths with a devil-may-care soap maker Brad and they form an underground fight club that evolves into something much, much more. It's not an easy movie, it's dangerous, brutal, confrontational, a satire on modern life, brilliantly acted, packs hell lot of clap worthy one liners and above all has a distinctive tone to himself that you can't take your eyes off even for a second. Director David Fincher quite clearly understands when to go fast, when to pause so that you can enjoy the delicious scenes. He takes you through a thrilling roller coaster ride with an array of crazy characters in crazy places and in crazy circumstances. I personally did not like the way it ended but that's just a nitpicking. Don't Miss It!!

cool movie

Author: grotasbatam batam from Indonesia
12 January 2014

Fight Club is multi-faceted movie about a man who is deeply unsatisfied with his life in the modern age, even with all the trappings of success that much of our society is based on, and decides to go off the beaten path to find his own personal satisfaction. From that point on the movie spirals out of control and into the abyss. This is a good thing. The movie holds many meanings and shows the characters in favorable and unfavorable ways. It does not try to cast things in a typical good and evil view point, nor does it say whether the choices the protagonist and the rest of the cast make are sound ones. One of the things it does do is look into the nature of our past, viewing the structure of our society and analyzing why we do what we do to live. It isn't until the narrator (Edward Norton) begins to destroy himself that he finally comes to realize what matters to him. That is when he meets two important characters, Marla Singer and Tyler Durden. It is during this time that the narrator escapes from his normal life by hosting with Tyler an underground fight club that evolved from the two just fighting outside of a local bar. Taking in Tyler's view on life, which is somewhat refreshing and scary at the same time, they form a close bond strongly resembling a married couple. The two do everything together and the narrator begins to emulate Tyler more and more, all the while the fight club grows stronger and stronger until it has become this cult-like phenomenon with Tyler and the narrator as leaders making rules for conducting fight club. Anarchy and non-conformity is their message, which I believe is meant to underscore the irony of fight club and their non-conformist, fight the man attitude. As the group evolves into something more dangerous, this irony becomes more apparent in the way those who once questioned the established authority, now blindly follow their "non-conformist" new group. Its been a little over a decade since Fight Club "enlightened" me, but it still gives me the same conflicting feelings about its message and the nature of humanity in general. There are those who would take it at its face value and see nothing but frustrated, grown men beating each other senselessly, and that's a shame because there is definitely much more going on then that. David Fincher has crafted an excellent movie: it's disgustingly stylish in its execution...almost too much, if that's possible. The sound track, done by the Dust Brothers burrowed it's way into my brain and never left. The movie would not be the same without it. As far as the actors performances, Ed Norton and Brad Pitt both have a strong rapport and the scenes come off naturally, while Helena Bonham Carter's Marla is hauntingly tragic, and filled with a desperate, but subtle sadness to her. At the time of the original screening this movie polarized people into the two camps of love or hate, due to it's ability to offended or amaze, but I wouldn't have it any other way

Great Movie

Author: polish56 from Canada
11 January 2014

In this darkly comic drama, Edward Norton stars as a depressed young man (named in the credits only as "Narrator") who has become a small cog in the world of big business. He doesn't like his work and gets no sense of reward from it, attempting instead to drown his sorrows by putting together the "perfect" apartment. He can't sleep and feels alienated from the world at large; he's become so desperate to relate to others that he's taken to visiting support groups for patients with terminal diseases so that he'll have people to talk to. One day on a business flight, he discovers Tyler Durden (Brad Pitt), a charming iconoclast who sells soap. Tyler doesn't put much stock in the materialistic world, and he believes that one can learn a great deal through pain, misfortune, and chaos. Tyler cheerfully challenges his new friend to a fight. Our Narrator finds that bare-knuckle brawling makes him feel more alive than he has in years, and soon the two become friends and roommates, meeting informally to fight once a week. As more men join in, the "fight club" becomes an underground sensation, even though it's a closely guarded secret among the participants. (First rule: Don't talk about fight club. Second rule: Don't talk about fight club.) But as our Narrator and Tyler bond through violence, a strange situation becomes more complicated when Tyler becomes involved with Marla (Helena Bonham Carter), whom our Narrator became infatuated with when they were both crashing the support-group circuit. Based on the novel by Chuck Palahniuk, Fight Club was directed by David Fincher, who previously directed Pitt in the thriller Seven.

Great movie to watch 10/10

Excellent Movie

Author: Colin Hassett from Maine
11 January 2014

I absolutely loved this movie. The first time I watched it I was very confused at what was going on since I didn't pay full attention but after I have viewed it many times, it has become one of my all time favorite movies. Both Brad Pitt and Edward Norton are amazing in this movie as well as the rest of the cast. This movie is great, it keeps your attention and makes you want more. The whole plot line and the way it was directed made this movie what it is. I loved it. This movie has a lot of different twists and turns to it as well so you really have to pay attention to what is happening other wise you will get lost and have to watch it all over again, but believe me you wont regret it. This movie has a near perfect view on modern society and Tyler Durden is the voice of revolution. It sparked my interest in questioning the way the world is and looking at everything different. This movie is one of the greatest movies of all time in my opinion. If you haven't seen it and love complex, smart movies you need to watch this!