IMDb > Fight Club (1999) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Fight Club

Fight Club More at IMDbPro »

Page 9 of 286: [Prev][4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [Next]

Horrifying and brilliant - absolutely amazing!

Author: mariaschouhansen from Denmark
19 April 2015

I first saw this movie in school (Not for any particular reason, we had a substitute), and i loved every minute of it. The violence, that's overwhelming in every single second, at the horror, that makes this movie breathtaking. But the best part, and I think not a single person would disagree with me, is the ending. The movie takes a great twist, that makes it one of the most surprising and brilliant movies, I've ever seen. Because it suddenly becomes clear to all, that this movie is not just about violence, but about a lost human being, that ends over the edge trying to feel, trying to make a difference in the predictable, boring nightmare he lives in. After reading some of the user reviews on this page, its clear that a lot of people don't get the movies message, and actually accuses it for promoting violence and terror actions. While watching the horrifying level of violence, just keep rising through the movie, I'm pretty sure to say, that the directors of this movie thinks violence is a bad idea. Especially, when an innocent man, who you have gone to love and sympathies throughout the movie, dies. I love the way Tyler Durden reacts to the society, by keeping questioning the things we along the way have taken for given. I, for one, highly promotes these kind of thoughts, and i think everybody should watch this movie, and then go out question the world we live in. That's how we grow as a society. So, point of this hole thing is, that if you think this movie is all about half-naked men fighting each other, you're terrible wrong. And just by the record, I'm a thirteen year old girl, so the thing about this being only a movie for men has kind of fallen to the ground. I would proudly recommend this movie to any person I know, because its quite incredible.

Best movie ever!

Author: josebarrantes from Colombia
11 April 2015

Fight club is the best movie ever! I never get tired of watching it! It didn't need to be a commercial hit to be recognized as one of the best movies in the 90's and probably in history. The performances of Brad Pitt and Edward Norton in this movie are so far the best of their acting careers. The strong messages against consumerism are the best of the film. "You're not your job" "We buy thing we don't need, with money we don't have to impress people we don't like" are only a few of Tyler's quotes. The fact that you have to pay attention to understand what's going on is another reason this movie is so great. If yo expect tons of special effects and no argument Fight Club isn't for you.

fight club

Author: Mariamalbander from Australia
9 April 2015

outstanding performance by all cast. this movie will make anyone lean on their seat wanting to see what happens next. there is a giant plot twist to the ending,which is a nail biting experience.this movie contains a lot of fighting and gory scenes, but apart from that it is fantastic. David flincher really did an excellent job like always.this movie is a mix of drama, comedy, romance, action and much more. there is no plot, but many. that is what makes this movie one of my favorites as well as many other people. Edward Norton and brad Pitt have good chemistry in a weird way, but that is what makes this film unique.i would definitely recommend this film for people who like action and rebel movies.

wow

Author: Daniel Ferch from Los Angeles, CA
8 April 2015

love love love love this movie. wish there was some kind of sequel or something. wow what a movie i believe in it except for the fighting we can live without.love love love love this movie. wish there was some kind of sequel or something. wow what a movie i believe in it except for the fighting we can live without.love love love love this movie. wish there was some kind of sequel or something. wow what a movie i believe in it except for the fighting we can live without.love love love love this movie. wish there was some kind of sequel or something. wow what a movie i believe in it except for the fighting we can live without.love love love love this movie. wish there was some kind of sequel or something. wow what a movie i believe in it except for the fighting we can live without.love love love love this movie. wish there was some kind of sequel or something. wow what a movie i believe in it except for the fighting we can live without.

This is Fight Club

Author: Dester Linares from Venezuela
7 April 2015

In my opinion, one of the best films in the world. its realization impeccable and very current topic today. The human being as human being is the blood of the fighters of fight club; them shows that we are living and for a moment, only acts our real "me" without material prejudice of any kind, such as when our own lives we are in a critical situation where danger our lives, then we understand how fragile is life and the value. We often forget what truly we are, when cling us with our belongings that clouds the vision of balance that represents our live. Follow your dreams and your heart!

PD: Sorry for my English, Is not the best

Attachment and Heavy Involvement

Author: Gaurav Thakur from India
6 April 2015

Fight Club Actually fights with the audience involvement to make audience go deeper and deeper into the movie. Characters are well Justified. Brad Pitt is the Show-stopper for this Movie . His Characteristics will make you think twice about his unpredictable behavior . His Coop Involvement with Edward Norton has a good Flow and keeps audience in suspense about the activities that are shown. Overall the Movie is outstanding. A special Message to the Director "You are the Man". Your storytelling through this Film has reached and settled the Audience with Entertainment and mind pleasing Satisfaction All over the World.

Thank you For a Great Movie and Cheers to the Efforts of all the people involve in it .

A very original film.

Author: Morten_Kaa from Copenhagen, Denmark
2 April 2015

After reading the book by Chuck Palahniuk I thought this book would be impossible to make into a movie. But Fincher nailed it. He made a really good and very disturbing picture, about society falling apart. What many people forget to mention about this movie, is that this movie, as most other Fincher films, has a very very very good soundtrack. I'm not talking about the music, but the sound design as a whole. If you are looking for at good movie to test your surround sound system with, look no further!

The film is thought provoking, and would keep you on the edge of your seat, for the entire running time. The visual quality of the cgi work in this film, is kind of outdated, but since Fincher choose to use the graphic in a more artistic way, than those effects are normally used for, it do not ruin the film in any way. This movie is a perfect example of Hollywood meeting the Art-house. And it made it into my top twenty of best films ever.

Awesome entertainment, excellent acting, muddled message

Author: Crispy Quartz from United States
31 March 2015

"Fight Club" (Fox, 1999, USA) is a David Fincher dark comedy satirizing corporate-driven materialism and follows the Narrator's (Edward Norton) violently insane search for balance in this spiritually wanting world. You'll need to suspend your disbelief to enjoy this movie, even while it raises valid points without taking itself too seriously.

The setting is anonymous urban USA (Wilmington, DE). The setting and narrator are drab and nondescript at the start.

The Narrator is an auto recall assessor by day and a cynical, insomniac who is only able to get sleep by attending support groups and weeping with unfortunates in even worse shape than he's in. As soon as Marla Singer (Helena Bonham Carter), a chain-smoking misfit with a death wish, starts crashing the same meetings (for conditions such as blood parasites, brain tumors and testicular cancer) the Narrator can't get back to sleep and his mental condition starts deteriorating again.

Narrator and Marla make a deal to divide which groups they go to before he leaves town. On a plane, the Narrator meets Tyler Durden (Brad Pitt), a cocky playboy who sells soap, wears flashy clothes and preaches nihilism. They become fast friends, hit a bar and then get into a fight, starting fight club.

Fight club is a gathering of disaffected men seeking release thru bare knuckled underground fights. It grows, becomes the first of many clubs, then becomes a kind of national movement and cult led by Tyler. The whole thing escalates into something dangerous and absurd that counters and emulates the conformity the Narrator left behind.

The movie is bleak and features sardonic humor about the ways of big business and materialism. The film posits that our society is in decline, and your Average Joe doesn't have enough room to be a man. So people limit themselves, look for fixes in all the wrong places or join fight club to regain that manly feeling.

The Narrator is a case in point. He hates his job, his company would rather let customers die than lose money on a recall, he fantasizes about IKEA, thinks he hates Marla when he really wants her, and lacks passion. BTW, he never gets called by his name, although from his narrations you might deduce that his name is Jack, but you can't be sure because he refers to himself in the 3rd person.

Edward Norton shows his chops, doing a solid job playing an alienated guy who's more passenger than driver in his own life. But as events get more insane, he begins to find his center, maybe because of the physical toll it takes on him. By the end, he has his epiphany, still standing after being ground up.

Tyler OTOH is a peacock, dynamic, persuasive and no matter how insane the idea, he's decisive. Tyler doesn't deliberate or reflect and the "random" jumps in the story other reviewers mention are most abrupt when he's up to something. He's always stirring stuff up. Tyler represents everything the Narrator wishes to be, stylish, handsome, virile, resourceful, witty, and an admired leader of men. He lives in a dilapidated house in an industrial neighborhood and sells soap made from body fat procured from the local liposuction clinic.

He talks about the uselessness of material possessions and detests social norms. He throws himself and others into danger without the slightest thought, causing mischief, danger and destruction. He starts Fight Club by inviting the Narrator to hit him. The irony is viewers must suspend *their* disbelief while characters under Tyler Durden's spell constantly re-up their misplaced faith. By the time the Narrator is able to believe in himself, catch up to Tyler and confront him on his insane antics, Armageddon has already begun.

Brad Pitt embodies what this movie is all about and his performance is the picture of extra, hyper masculinity that's inadvertently ironic. Tyler constantly questions the gym bodied, preening underwear model type images fed to us, even while Pitt represents that image, especially here. He questions the rat race, but his alternative is to siphon people off into destruction. Tyler is at the center of a study of how men who have nothing to believe in can fall into following a crazy person.

Marla Singer might be the only truly aware person in the entire movie. She appears at the most crucial points in the Narrator's development, and in spite of her off the wall craziness, Marla's relationship with the Narrator lends him a foothold on reality. She calls it like she sees it and is the only one willing to tell the Narrator how messed up he is. She's played well by Helena Bonham Carter who gives us the perfect mix of neurosis, honesty and unwitting humor to push the pace of the movie and keep us interested.

Overall the movie is highly entertaining and I recommend it. It's not as profound as some people make it out to be, but it forthrightly challenges the more greedy and superficial aspects of US culture. David Fincher's shots are great, the way the colors on the actors pop out from the grim or sterile settings really conveys the sense that insanity is what it takes to set yourself apart in the world of Fight Club. The music is unobtrusive and the film's pace is fast, sometimes bordering on frenzied, especially after the Narrator discovers the twist.

The dispiriting meta-problems of greed, vanity, soulless institutions and alienated consumer citizens don't get solved in the film. Tyler Durden's problem is he sees no value in anything except destruction. As for solutions, Fight Club entertains us with the crazy fantasy solution so we can easily dismiss it. Is it that there is no sane solution? Is it that everyone just needs to exorcise their inner demons before the solution is possible? Fight Club doesn't tell you, but it looks damn good saying what it does have to say.

awesome

Author: escamillaj-66334 from United States
31 March 2015

The Concepts and theory were amazing. Too Deep ' If you watch it try to pay as most attention as possible. If you miss something rewind it, or it might throw you completely off through the rest of the movie. That happened to me and I had to pay attention and really understand what the movie was about

I had to re-watch the movie. that Might be a spoiler alert. thats why I checked it.

IF you're trying to learn the movie without having to watch it. Please read a different review.

Twitter @ImTheFutureTho first review any comments Feel Free to comment

I'm probably breaking rule 1 since I'm talking about Fight Club but this movie's so great, I can't resist talking about it.

Author: Brian Berta from United States
28 March 2015

This movie is about a troubled man who meets a stranger and they decide to open up an underground boxing club which eventually grows out of control. The movie is dark and unorthodox. The brutality helps drive the movie and it shows how a simple fighting group can go out of control and take a dramatic turn. It has a surprising twist ending which will knock you out cold. It was very surprising and I liked the choice it made. The movie gives clues throughout the movie that most if not all people would miss the first viewings which leaves room for re-watching it. Every time I give it another viewing, there is always something new to be found. Many people might turn away when they see the brutality but it didn't bother me. What makes this movie so special is that it dared to go where no film has ever attempted to go before and that's what makes it so special. I think that this is one of the best movies of the 90's. Its creativity can inspire hours of discussing and it will be a film which will probably age well.