IMDb > Fight Club (1999) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Fight Club

Fight Club More at IMDbPro »

Page 5 of 302: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [Next]

One of the most frustratingly misunderstood films of all time...

Author: KennethWasHere from United States
2 August 2010

To criticize a film for having a shallow or confused message is understandable. The problem with this criticism is that, in the case of "Fight Club", the movie's message is not confused. It knows exactly what it's saying; but many people don't.

Not only do some people jump to the conclusion that "Fight Club" is condoning violent or sociopathic behavior, but they think it's condoning fascism and terrorism, when it's actually outright mocking it. It's showing the juvenile pointlessness of it. Not only do some people miss that it's satirizing the teenage-rebellion mentality, but they assume it's pandering to it.

"Fight Club" is the story of two people representing two extremes: the Narrator, a white-collar worker who's become a slave to consumerism and the social construct around him, and the other is Tyler Durden, a violent nihilist with no regard for society or others, who feels the human race has been emasculated by materialism and advertising. Essentially, these two are exact opposites. But as the two of them become friends, they start an underground boxing club for the catharsis of people who feel just as trapped and emotionally apathetic as they do. Ultimately, Tyler takes this entire concept and evolves it into "Project Mayhem", a group devoted to vandalism and general mischief, but from there, it actively grows into a terrorist organization.

The thing that SHOULD be the giveaway that it's not promoting this behavior is through the DEATH of an innocent man as the result of these actions, and the fact that we see the misguided members of Project Mayhem lose their personal identities to a dangerous cult mentality.

I said it once and I'll say it again: Project Mayhem and their violent beliefs are not being condoned. And yet, to give you an idea of just how much the themes in "Fight Club" are taken out of context, there was a real-life incident with a kid in Manhattan who, influenced by the movie, attempted to blow up a Starbucks, as the Space Monkeys are seen doing in this movie. Of course, despite how obvious it was that this behavior was being mocked in the movie (and, once again, how they show an innocent man get killed as a result), authorities proceeded to scapegoat this movie, as if it was the fault of the film itself that someone foolishly misinterpreted the message and attempted an act of terrorism.

The film blatantly portrays Tyler Durden as a fascist and a terrorist, and yet, people actually think it's promoting him, simply because it doesn't outright tell you what to think. "Fight Club" is attacked by everyone from politically correct New-Agers and prudish moralists with mantras of "ZOMG THIS MOVEEZ VIOLINZ FOR THE STOOPID TEENAEGERS LOLZ!11" (and of course, shouted down by so-called cinephiles for being unconventional in nature, and for being a Hollywood film). I recommend actually thinking this film over instead of going by knee-jerk reaction. If the things that happen in this movie disturb you (especially the ending), then good. They SHOULD disturb you.

In short: "Fight Club" is condoning Tyler Durden's actions and beliefs as much as "Schindler's List" is condoning the Holocaust.

Of course, that's my take on how the message is misconstrued, so what else does "Fight Club" have to offer?

Well, as you'd expect from Fincher, it's a remarkable-looking movie, and the actors make the absolute best of it. It's consistently funny, full of unforgettable characters and dialogue, and most of all, it captures the world and feel of Generation X quite unlike any movie I've ever seen. But therein lies something fascinating: it's the absolute film for its time and place, yet it doesn't feel dated at all. The reason, I theorize, is because it does such an outstanding job of making you a part of the time in which it's set, and giving us something timeless to think about.

So what, in my opinion, is the true message of "Fight Club"?

"Fight Club" is--and this is important--NOT telling you what to think. It's simply asking you to reflect, question things. Question society, question the false prophets. Keep the balance between these two extremes (Narrator and Tyler)by being an individual.

An awful bore

Author: tedwards77 from Australia
31 January 2002

I really didn't enjoy this film at all & I fall into the target group (male 20-30). 2/10 I'd give this.

There seems a belief too that anyone who doesn't enjoy it is either thick, against violence or especially 'doesn't get the message behind it'. Well, none of those apply to me.

In this flawed film, I understand that it was any of: a)a group of young men rebelling against a Borgeousie consumerism society. b)one man seeing how he is totally dissatisfied with life and how his mind tries to change things or c)people stopping to watch Cornelius fight himself because voyeurism is human nature the film makes a deliberate attempt to make the viewer feel guilty for being a voyeur. (I'll come to that later)

You can take your pick really, whatever way, I still find it crap. Any film (Shawshank Redmeption excepted) which concerns 'one mans' anything, generally creates no emotion in me other than boredom. The whole tagline to the film makes me want to puke: "one 30 year old man's journey of self-discovery."

So what? Are we supposed to sympathise with Norton because of this? I'm sorry but I have sympathy in films with people dying, or who's family have been killed. John Hurt triumphing over cancer in Champions, Tom Hanks in Saving Private Ryan, thousands of others. Even Norton himself actually in the brilliant American History X. In the 2nd half, I sympathise with him for the life he has found himself with.

But in this (and I find myself saying the same as I did with the equally awful American Beauty) Just because some blokes fed up & having a midlife crisis we're supposed to feel for him. Oh diddums. The only film where this premise has worked brilliantly is 'It's a Wonderful Life' with James Stewart. He was in crisis (and justifyably too) but never resorted to any of the levels stooped to here.

(That might seem a weak point, but It's just come to me & I can't put my finger on exactly why Wonderful Life is so far superior to Fight Club in tackling a midlife crisis, but they are as far extreme as you can get)

I'd also question whether we're all voyers? For every moron that slows down on a motorway to look at an accident on the other side, there's a 100 or so that can't believe the stupidity of it.

There are countless flaws too. The scene prior to the car crash wouldn't have worked? Who was Norton talking to? with the passengers there? Where did he acquire his knowledge of soap from? Would people have watched 1 bloke fighting himself? and much more too. Ok, maybe one or 2 of those have answers but I couldn't find them.

I think to really enjoy this film, you have to have clicked or empathised with the main character, and if you did, I feel a bit sorry for you. It would however account for the popularity of such things as marriage guidance councillors, drugs, footballers agents, even to a degree religion (but only when it becomes absolutely fanatical & life revolves around it).

Maybe it's just me & I'm fortunate but so many people seem unable to get through the little problems that life throws up on their own & without help of any kind anymore, like inventing a friend for one thing.

I know plenty of people who like this, intelligent some of them, so I've no problem with people who enjoy 'Arty & deep' films with psychological meaning to them. I just don't. But not through failing to understand them, Just merely through not connecting with characters who suffer problems like a 'mid-life crisis for non deserving reasons'.

On top of all of that, it was a very slow film too.

Fincher's half

Author: Miles Charrier from London, England
6 February 2005

I sat through the first half of this movie with my mouth open. It was so exciting, brilliant, a Fritz Lang for the new millennium. Edward Norton's face. That insomnia that he carries all over him is so magnificently drawn that creates the opposite effect on its audience. I was awake, very awake, sitting on the edge of my seat, devouring every moment, enjoying it like hell. Helena Bonham Carter was a like a great silent movie star doing her first talkie. Pola Negri, Theda Bara. As if this wan't enough, Brad Pitt, and Brad Pitt is Brad Pitt with all its fabulous connotations. Then, can you explain to me why I detested this movie? Why it made me so angry? Can you? I can only tell you that half way through I turned against the movie or the movie turned against me, either way I didn't like it. I felt cheated in the worse possible way. I felt treated like a moron. You start promising me the most unique film experience I've had in a long time but what you delivered was a tired, opportunistic, gimmicky, easy piece of nonsense. Why? David Fincher is one of the most consummated craftsmen American movies have ever had. Don't you agree? He can tell you a story, even something like "Seven", a horror thriller, in a way we've never seen before, at least half of it. He has an eye like no other. That's why my frustration. An artist like that putting himself at the service of something that's not done, not finished not worthy of his talents. You may think I'm being a bit too hard on the man. But let me tell you, it's out of love. I expect so much from him, I've seen what he is capable of. But so far have been only halves. Brilliantly acted, sensational to look at, but halves, just halves. He should look at Fritz Lang, Pietro Germi, Alfred Hitchcock, Michael Powell, William Wellman and naturally John Ford, Martin Scorsese and Steven Spielberg. Fincher already inherited something from each one of them. Now the trick is that it isn't a trick. Half is better than nothing. But in the grand scheme of things, it's not enough.

Highly Entertaining and Instantly Rewatchable

Author: saburns-64822
21 February 2017

The 1999 film Fight Club is a psychological dramatic thriller that was directed by David Fincher and is based on the book of the same name. The film revolves around a nameless narrator, played by Edward Norton, who is a material-obsessed, office working, insomniac in desperate need of a change of lifestyle. That change comes when he meets Tyler Durden, played by Brad Pitt, the eccentric soap maker who is everything the narrator wishes he could be. Together they form an underground fight club which slowly evolves into something much bigger, to the point where it becomes out of our protagonist's control.

Before I watched this movie for the first time, I was skeptical that it would just be another run-of-the-mill action movie with not much deep thinking and lots of violence. What I wasn't expecting, was a thought-provoking, funny, dramatic, psychological thriller. But that's exactly what this movie is, and I loved every minute of it. Fight Club will keep you hooked for over two hours as it takes you through the narrator's journey from being your typical everyman to becoming the ringleader of his own group of anarchists. All while providing interesting insights into what humans really desire in life.

While Edward Norton's portrayal of our mostly clueless protagonist is very good in its own right, Brad Pitt really steals the show here. His performance as Tyler Durden is highly entertaining and his cool guy attitude adds a lot of personality to the film. Helena Bonham Carter also does a great job in her role as the not-so-innocent Marla Singer. Overall, these characters are very dynamic and are expertly performed by these actors/actresses.

The best part of the film would have to be the big twist at the end. Not only because it is a genuinely surprising moment, but also because it makes the film that much more incredible upon second viewings. If you re-watch this movie you be able to pick up on so much more after knowing what the twist is. It just makes the writing seem that much more clever when you watch it again.

This movie has it all; captivating acting, an intriguing story, brutal action, excellent special effects, a great soundtrack, and many twists and turns all the way to the very end. I would strongly recommend watching this movie, and then watch it again, and again, and again, so you can truly appreciate the greatness of this film.

Inévitable

Author: capC from France
15 February 2017

Inévitable ! A must seen movie. you didn't see it already? run to to the supermarket , or rent it on VOD as soon as possible! that movie is awesome, i'll never be tired about seeing it. The criticize about the system is really nice. The actors are fantastic. one of my favorite's film !

Fight Club

Author: Djuan Ballinger from United States
27 October 2014

This was a good movie. I recommend everyone to see it Great actors I would like to see a sequel I love martial art movies Great storyline I loved it The movie couldn't have been better I recommend it to the martial artist Awesome. I don't want to spoil the movie plot or story line but if you are a martial arts lover or have any type of interest in it, I think this is one movie that's for you. How many martial arts or fighting movies leave an impact like this this one?! Off hand, besides this one I couldn't tell you off the bat. But a film like this definitely with great actors, good story, climax, and resolution is a box office hit that everyone will enjoy from youth to adults if you're looking for an action packed film.

Impossible premise makes a Pop movie for young male adults!

Author: Dr_Sagan from the Edge of the Cosmos
24 October 2014

First rule (and second too) of the Fight Club is "You do not talk about Fight Club"! Well...hm...yeah, but the Fight Clubs keeps getting bigger and bigger! So how this can be possible???

Anyway that's just one of the B.S. that this movie feeds you, from the beginning to the end. And there are countless!!

When you know the "surprise" ending and try watching the movie again to see if any details in some scenes can give it away, you end-up empty handed! The movie does not take care this aspect of the plot at all.

****ENDING SPOILER STARTS: For example Norton's alter-ego Pitt takes a serious beating and his face is totally messed up. Next day though Norton went to his job to see his boss and his face is perfectly OK before he pretends to take another beating in his boss's office. If Norton/Pitt took the beating the day before and went to his boss already beat up, his little trick wouldn't do him any good. ****ENDING SPOILER ENDS****

My point is, that this movie is not well thought, like, for example, 6th sense ,where the ending is in accordance with all the scenes previously seen in the movie.

But, if not to take it seriously, this movie is fun somehow, and pop. Addressed obviously to young males.

Overall: Stick it to the man!

A depressed, lonely, man meets the charismatic Tyler Durden. Together, they start a therapeutic club where people can beat the hell out of each other. Fight Club.

Author: Ryanbarnett123 from United States
18 October 2014

When Fight Club was released in 1999, it was critically panned by critics. This remains a mystery to me. Perhaps they did not understand the subtle and dark implications this film has to offer. Perhaps they did not appreciate the eerie and dark tone. Maybe it was the dark comedy that they didn't take into account. Fight Club remains one of my favorite movies for those three reasons and many more. Fincher created a hysterically dark yet emotionally powerful masterpiece that has very little equals. I could go on about the fantastic, career defining performances by just about every single person in this film, or I could go on about the brilliant and thought- provoking third act, ended beautifully by the intentionally incomplete ending, but I'm sure you've heard it all before. Fight Club is a love it or hate it film. It's one that should be watched multiple times for an adequate experience, and it's one that you should keep a topic of conversation for years to come. Fight club demands your attention.

wonderful classic!

Author: Kayla Corbin
6 October 2014

Fight Club is an extraordinary film that depicts the life of a (not really) average Joe who seems to have met the perfect new best friend to spice up his life. Why anyone would dislike this movie is beyond me. Yes, it's pretty graphic and violent, but it was a new outlook on an underground activity that hadn't been approached much before. Along with that, it touched on the human mind and what it's actually capable of doing. At the box office, the film only reached around 37 million, in contrast to their estimated budget, which was 63 million. Why did this movie bomb? Maybe it was bad promotion, maybe people didn't realize how hot Brad Pitt was (and still is), but whatever the case, it's still a legendary movie. Almost anyone knows the famous line, "first rule of fight club, don't talk about fight club." It's widely recognized and changed into many different varieties, even 14 years later. And the ending is a real shocker! You wouldn't see it coming. When the DVD was released, word spread much more quickly about small details in the film you wouldn't have noticed in the theater. People wanted to analyze the plot twist for themselves. The thought that was put into making this whole movie come together is wonderful, and I think many movies lately need to use this movie as an example of how to correctly write a memorable classic.

best acting,best storyline,best ENDING,and best of everything

Author: Shainky Singh from chennai
1 October 2014

This is the rarest movie i have come across.this movie is my all time favorite and by all time I mean all time favorite. I am a big fan of Brad Pitt and after watching Fight club i am a huge fan.When someone suggested this movie he told me do not watch any of its trailer or read any reviews, just watch it and this is what I would I suggest anyone who haven't watched this movie. PLOT: Now the movie starts with with an ordinary man(Edward Norton) bored of his life, suffering from insomniac and as the movie goes on come the guys who will change everything in his life,Brad Pitt, and both of them start a fight club to give some thrill, purpose and some action to their life.This club takes a whole new level in their and waiting for the ending worth every single second of movie and its so so so awesome that you can't stop yourself from watching it again, talking about it to everyone...