IMDb > Fight Club (1999) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Fight Club

Fight Club More at IMDbPro »

Page 5 of 278: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [Next]

A very important movie masterpiece

Author: wiseguygabriel
27 September 2014

This movie is something for those who have more intelligence then most.

For the people who get something about the world and the society we are in today and have been for a long time.

It has many important messages for all generations and everyone should watch it as many times as possible.

if you don't understand it then watch it again.

If you still don't get it watch it again(etc) One day you will get it and when you do this movie will be your bible and one of most prized possessions.

Share this movie with everyone and spread the message.

A must watch.

A movie for all generations.

Fantastic

Author: Roxanne Ebrahimi from United Kingdom
23 September 2014

What a messed up amazing film. It took two watches of this film to fully understand what was going on. even now if you watch the film you can still piece together bits you may have missed from before. I adore the way this was made. The texture and feel to this film are great too. Great characters played well by each actor. There are some great quotes and there are lots of awesome shots in this movie. Its a definite classic, one not to be missed in my opinion. The fight scenes where well put together but I did find I did have to squint my eyes at some parts but that's just because I am a bit squeamish! I would say this film was violent with a splash of giggles and a clever script that makes you think.

Great movie

Author: multiseven
20 September 2014

One of my favorite movie, really stands out from the ordinary "my life is crap" dramas, it has deep meanings and social critic too.

The no name main character, The Narrator is your ordinary clerk guy, with nothing special about him or his life, but everything changed when he met with a mysterious stranger on a plane.

Very interesting the flow of the film, it's on the edge of a comedy- drama and a really meaningful philosophy work.

Based on a book, the plot changed from the original work, not a great deal but the end is really different and it may cause dissatisfaction among fans.

A controversial satire and a contemporary classic. perhaps the most post-9/11 film to have been made pre-9/11

Author: badfeelinganger from United Kingdom
19 September 2014

Solid Acting and Amazing Direction A movie that wants to keep its audience unsettled from beginning to end. perhaps the most post-9/11 film to have been made pre-9/11, capturing perfectly both the stirring discontent of the Nineties and the madness both geopolitical and especially economic, that would erupt globally in the decade to come. Wildly inventive, exceptionally cast and undeniably controversial, there's an endless list of subtexts and viewpoints which will fuel debates for years. Fight Club is not just a movie, but a wake up call to a disenfranchised generation sick of being told by advertising what to drive, wear, buy, smoke, drink and eat in order to be cool. Fight Club is still today a definitive film, a statement as strong as any rock anthem and twice as packed with power chords.Essential Hollywood film of 1999.

Legendary

Author: Sdibaei-990-381355 from United States
15 September 2014

My Godfather got me into this movie. Perfect movie to distinguish between actors, real-life, and combining them both into this action-packed film.

"Badass". Yup that's word that comes to mind when I think of this movie. Brad Pitt emulsified the rendition of pretty-boy meets tough. Not only did he depict himself in a whole new light, but he enlightened my opinions on Edward Norton.

Edward Norton's American History X and Fight Club have become the core film's that have gained my utmost respect for his work.

When I met Pitt, he wasn't any different. He brings the family man he is to the table, that dedication and loyalty to set, and most of all; trust and 110% effort to his career and colleagues.

First Rule of the Fight Club.

Author: Sean Conway from United Kingdom
13 September 2014

Okay, so I am not exactly breaking the rules in talking about the Fight Club. If you're reading this, you've seen it so there is no point in keeping silent. After seeing this again last night, I decided to share my views on it. As evidence shows on the Top 250 list... Fight Club is one of the greatest films of all time.

First, let's talk about the cast: Edward Norton was a great choice, we can see that he has had to loose the beef from his previous credit, American History X, but this gave it an, almost, realistic approach to the film. He wasn't quite how the character is described in the book, but we can let that off, he still looked pretty fantastic, even in the insomniac look. Brad Pitt was an almost perfect casting, he was no longer a pretty boy who couldn't act. He was a great god on the screen, he fitted the role and, in my eyes, portrayed Tyler almost perfectly. We all know that H,B-C was a good cast, she's nearly crazier than Tim Burton... Which fits the role.

Now we can move onto the Film vs Book argument. Obviously they have to change certain parts of the book to make it fit into a 100-150 minute film, otherwise they'd do what happened to The Hobbit. The ends of both the film and the novel differ drastically. In the novel, the Narrator does shoot himself through the cheek, just as Jack does in the film. What happens next in both stories is quite different. In the film, Jack is reunited with Marla and they watch the buildings disappear from the skyline. In the book, the Narrator shoots himself but then wakes up in what he believes is Heaven, however it is described that Jack is actually in a mental institution. The Narrator believes his psychiatrist to be God. Now, that is the biggest difference made, yes there are other big changes, yes there are story changing tweaks, but I did this one because it is a stand out difference. In my opinion, I am not too bothered by the change, it makes it more applicable to a film. It brings us into suspense as we try to figure out what happens after: Does the building blow up? Does Jack die by Marla's side? As the transition to the credits appear, it is obvious, though that is only a flash, it may be a reference to one of Tyler's jobs. Feel free to respond and counteract. This is my first review.

Read this review

Author: Marky Mark from United States
10 September 2014

Roger Ebert says the second half of this movie turns into the most unremitting violence ever shown on film. He says the movie makes the mistake of masquerading as philosophical, and the point of the movie was probably taken the wrong way by many viewers. Roger Ebert is my favorite movie reviewer of all time, but he is dead wrong. Whatever you take away from Fight Club is whatever you take away. It is what is. This is the smartest movie I have ever watched and the best movie of 1999. You should definitely see this movie. Talk about it with your parents, smart friends, dumb friends. Different people see the point of this movie in different ways. At the end of the day, Fight Club does one simple thing. It empowers people to live more productive lives. Do something new, be a part of life. Or don't. Be the most productive person you can be in whatever you want to be productive in. Fight Club- 10/10

(SPOILERS) Watched This At Random, Became My Favorite Movie

Author: jnchristensen from United States
5 September 2014

I had seen the previews for this movie, and I had written it off as, well, guys fighting each other. I was pretty disinterested.

One night I had 24 hour duty, and this movie was playing. Without trying to spoil it, this quickly became my favorite movie. Nope, not because of the soap or fighting scenes. I was in the process of becoming a Psychology major, and I realized this movie epitomized the dissociative identity disorder diagnosis.

After seeing the movie, I decided to read the original book by Chuck Palahniuk. Mind... = BLOWN. If you haven't seen this yet, read the book first.

Mind boggling! Awesome! One of a kind!

Author: anush-shukla from India
21 August 2014

The entire movie until the very end keeps you deluded and excited.

And in the very end it surprises (astound, to be more subtle) you which is even more exciting. This review's time-stamp is quite in accordance with present time, so let me tell you this, that this movie is mesmerizing and is a cult kind of movie (at least for me it is).

Not much action if that is what you are looking for as brawling is the only action in the movie. Neither romance present. Drama is there but not melodrama, mind you.

Mind teasing this movie it is (in my opinion), to fit and hit the exact genre.

Don't talk about Fight Club

Author: slightlymad22 from United Kingdom
18 August 2014

The first rule of Fight Club is "Don't talk about Fight Club." But we're going to break the first rule of Fight Club and talk about Fight Club.

Fight Club is possibly one of the last original movies made, before Hollywood started ripping off, reimagining and remaking everything that ever made Tinseltown money.

So if for some reason, if you haven't seen Fight Club yet, when you get done reading this, go out and rent Fight Club.

A good movie for me is one that does not end with the credits. And Fight Club is a good movie. And one that stays with you long after the credits begin rolling.

I can't praise the cast enough of this movie enough here. Brad Pitt (Who I'm not a fan of by the way) is perfectly cast as Tyler Durden (and he seems to be having a very good time here) Helena Bonham Carter can always be relied upon for a good performance, here once again, she is superb. As for Edward Norton, it became apparent the year before this movie, with 'American History X' that he was one talented actor destined for great performances in great roles.

His first movie was opposite Richard Gere in Primal Fear in 1996. He was nominated for an Oscar for Best Supporting actor which he lost to Cuba Gooding Jr. for 'Jerry Maguire' He also won a Golden Globe. Not bad for his first time out. He the. Worked with Woody Allen before his second Oscar Nomination for 'American History X' he lost this time to Roberto Benigni for 'Life is Beautiful'. Benigni also beat out Tom Hanks for 'Saving Private Ryan'. Boy did the Academy get that one wrong!

But this was to be his last great movie. (As of 2014 at least) He has had had a few minor hits since then but there has been something missing in most of his work between then and now.

So, what the hell happened?

Bottom line, Norton got a reputation for being difficult. Lots of people think of Norton as an absolute control freak. That Norton is not someone you want to work with.

Also, Norton isn't shy about airing his opinions to anyone who will listen. If Norton feels like he hasn't gotten the credit he is due, he will shout it from the rooftops. If he isn't happy with the final cut of a movie, he simply promote it. That is frowned on in Hollywood where stars are expected to support their movies no matter what.

Brad Pitt (as I've said I'm not a fan) settled for being a famous A List superstar than making good movies I often said outside the Oceans Franchise ensemble, and with the exception of 'Inglorious Basterds' and 'The Assassination of Jessie James By The Coward Robert Ford' Pitt has not made a good movie since Seven. But I love his performance here. I don't believe another actor could have played the role of Tyler Durden as well as Pitt.

But back to the movie.

Given the talent involved, I'm not surprised this found an audience despite the premise of the movie. The studio wanted to market Fight Club to women because of Pitt. But they knew the film's violence would appeal more to men. It was a tricky one. In the end they hired an ad agency. They did a great job of promoting a tricky movie.

Go watch Fight Club.