IMDb > Fight Club (1999) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Fight Club

Fight Club More at IMDbPro »

Page 5 of 272: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [Next]

"This is your life."

Author: Al_The_Strange from United States
13 April 2014

I am Jack's review of the movie Fight Club. If you don't know what that means, it's just a small taste of how sardonic this whole film is.

At first, I assumed Fight Club was just a movie about a bunch of guys beating each other up. From the moment it starts, however, it proves to be much more than that. It's actually a very strangely neurotic and mesmerizing descent into a testosterone-fueled madness. Actual fighting is limited; what you get instead is a storytelling experience that's so warped, it will challenge your perception of what is and isn't real in the film. The film itself even gets warped, with such bizarre effects as having single frames of images mixed into random spots, and one frenetic scene where the negative appears to come undone. Throw in some wild computer-generated modelling effects and some brisk editing, and the film becomes a highly stylized and entrancing experience.

The story is a real doozy. It kicks off strong and hard, showcasing the insomniac protagonist and chronicling how he went from being an average office worker with everything into a deviant with nothing (and nothing to lose). Things get thrilling when the actual fight club takes off and anarchy starts to spread, but the main focus is always on exploring the characters, and it all builds up to an unpredictable climax. There is a massive plot twist in the mix, but it's one of those that holds up extremely well on repeat viewings (even though it can be a little hard to believe). Characters shine really well, thanks to their nuanced performances, their sharp dialogue, their convoluted relationships, and the nature of the plot, which really makes us stop and think about what's going on in their heads.

There are a number of themes that can be extrapolated from this crazy story. The most blatant messages concern anarchy, as the characters constantly criticize the modern consumerist culture and emphasize "letting go." Much of the story is really about them abandoning the common goals of wealth, success, or material things, and just being yourself. There are moments where the film also seems to dig up deeper metaphysical questions and meaning, especially regarding morality and the perception of reality.

As noted above, the film has one heck of a style. The camera work is very solid and good, while the editing tends to be very inventive and wild. Acting is great; Edward Norton, Brad Pitt, and Helena Bonham Carter are effectively perfect in their roles. Writing is awesome, and there are tons of great lines. This production uses some very great and detailed-looking sets, props, costumes, and special effects. Music by the Dust Brothers can be a bit nutty, but is mostly pretty awesome.

Fight Club is a movie with some serious attitude and style. The experience of watching it is like going through that feeling of wooziness after being punched in the face, for it is that trippy. I could say more, but the first and second rules of Fight Club forbid me...

5/5 (Experience: Perfect | Story: Perfect | Film: Perfect)

Fantastic

Author: allstarbacon101
10 April 2014

there is really nothing to say about it. fight club is just..well, excellent in every way.

Its plot is fantastic and had a twist i really wasn't expecting.And it has a lot of rewatchability. i have watched this movie over 10 times and still noticed new things. Like how Tyler Durton appeared in every scene before we meet him in the plane. And the famous dick at the end of the movie. (Google these two things in case you don't get it).

What stands out is the acting, soundtrack, and camera-work. If you have seen fight club you would know what i am talking about

but besides all that there is something else that stands out. i don't know what it is though. the movie gives of a feeling but i don't really know how to describe it. i am just going to say that i never got bored during this film. maybe there is no other thing and i am just finding things to praise this movie for. idk

i love this movie to death and you should to. this is one of the best movies ever made

A movie that forever stands the test of time

Author: fahad_riaz from Dubai
7 April 2014

When I watched Fight Club for the first time (back in early 2000) I ended up scratching my head, I kinda liked it but for some reason I felt I am missing out something. After few years I watched it again, and this time I ended up speechless. The depth of the characters the minute details and of course the dialog's all were perfect, not to mention the score and the opening scene. The chemistry between Edward Norton and Brad Pitt is perfect. I recommend everyone to watch this masterpiece. The movie deals with materialism, social norms and the machine life that we all are living. A dark twisted yet humorous at time, Fight Club proved that it will forever stand the test of time.

Existentialism and eroticism in a stylish package

Author: Sankari_Suomi from Australia
2 April 2014

A brilliant existential thriller, in which Edward Norton's brutally masculine character dominates an effeminate Brad Pitt.

Despite its heavy-handed homoeroticism the movie is a powerful celebration of contemporary heterosexual manhood.

Trapped within his corporate prison, the protagonist slowly undergoes a shocking transformation into the ultimate Nietzschean Übermensch and destroys society in a final act of triumphant nihilism.

Meat Loaf makes a brief appearance as the bisexual Mormon who has lost his testicles to cancer (some extrapolation is required here).

Helena Bonham Carter is also present in certain scenes.

I rate 'Fight Club' at 26.64 on the Haglee Scale, which works out as a solid 8/10 on IMDb.

An insomniac worker meets a soap maker and forms a underground Fight club

Author: maneesh-gaddam from India
30 March 2014

Fight club is a modern bible which has possible solution to the misery life man has living. As mentioned in one of the other reviews it was a tight slap in the face of consumerism. The film stars Brad Pitt, Edward Norton and Helena carter deals with a insomniac worker (Edward Norton) who struggles with his life meets a Nowhere destined girl Marla(Helena) and the way things have changed in his life which made him to meet Tyler Durden (Brad Pitt) a Soap maker.

David Fincher was spot on in capturing the spirit of the book in to a full length feature film. His direction was impeccable. The back ground theme "Where is my mind" comes in perfect sync with the story line. It may take you to watch the movie multiple times to understand its plot. But trust me once you understand it you will own it and always remember "Things you own end up owning you".

I apologize for breaking the first two rules

Prepare your mind...

Author: Alejandro Balian from Venezuela
23 March 2014

I lost my virginity to this film... no, it's not what you're thinking, I mean my mind virginity... if there is such a thing... allow me to explain: If you're a twelve year old boy who's only contact with movies are the cheesy Disney flicks or the brainless action/comedy films coming from Hollywood, then to see "fight club" is like being turned to pieces and reassemble from scratch; nothing was the same, this was one of those game-changing movies for me. But what is it about Fight Club that makes it unique? In one word: EVERYTHING. The plot is revolutionary (no pun intended) because it starts as a meditation on alienation and loneliness and evolves into a political commentary on today's society. The atmosphere that David Fincher (one of the true masters of today's cinema) builds is one of a world falling to pieces, just like the central character: dark, gritty, nihilistic... the performances are outstanding, specially on the behalf of Brad Pitt, who plays the guy we all want to be at some point: anarchic and free in all the ways possible. In short, a movie that dares to go where few film dare: to the heart of darkness of postmodern society...

An intellectual thrill ride that has a sense of dark comedy where the movie know what it is.

Author: Carrie
23 March 2014

This movie is directed beautifully by David Fincher and screenplay by Jim Uhls. It follows the story of a man who hates who he is and is bored of being average, his severe case of insomnia doesn't help. To help his dignity and boredom he is a huge consumer and buys any piece of furniture he feels is unique. He starts going to self help meetings about different diseases and illnesses but he doesn't have any of them. He just goes and cry's there because it helps his insomnia. Although when he meets this woman there, Marla Singer, it stops working. He goes back to being an insomniac and he's miserable again. But when returning from a business trip he meets Tyler Durden, (Brad Pitt). They start talking and Tyler gives him his card. But when The Narrator's apartment blows up he has nowhere to go and he calls Tyler. He moves in with him and they become friends. They start fighting behind a bar just because it's fun and when a couple of guys join they seemingly create Fight Club. Fight Club is a cult like nightly venue where people just punch and get punched and the only rule is "Don't talk about fight club' but when The Narrator's sanity comes into play and Tyler starts keeping secrets and talking about this "Project Mayhem" things go downhill.

Now this movie is a amazing and very unique. The tone and dark comedy of this movie is perfect and it's an exhilarating, mind bending thrill ride. I highly recommend David Fincher's Fight Club starring Edward Norton and Brad Pitt. RATING: 9/10

One for the classics

Author: Jackson John from India
22 March 2014

When one of friend suggest me this film i had no idea about it. The title make the film looks like another fight/action film, but, this film made all my assumptions worthless as its one of the BEST films ever. It gives a message that your life is worth living no matter you like it or not. The character Tyler Durden played by one of favorite Brad Pitt shows you how to make life easy. The character portrayed by Edward Norton is another example of how to make a silly looking average man into something more than that, his look and mannerisms shows he is the best for the role. This is one for the classic. It is one of my all time favorite films

Compared to A trip to London.

Author: Counter Fit from Deep In the Hood Of LA
13 March 2014

Once then before forth given once again and surely. The Ufc is a reminder of the first rule broken again and again. Under no such reason would one give the first rule out with joy and glee. Real battles rage in the streets. I want more fist fighting less arm bars and broken toes. Them dude be slamming steroids and drinking human h g h with glee. I think i know a short Korean man that can win any fight ever he knows i knows it please kids breaking arms and s'ss in your c over you bs taking shits doing dips and slumping old dudes the only way to prove your grand standing in the world of street battling. beyond my view this movie was the best about fighting besides Pop- Eye you knows whats up when you lean over the plate and toss out a KO on a 48 year old IT at best buy yeah you fast buddy lost a eye in that one.

Pure Fincher Talent.

Author: amber_maishment from United Kingdom
8 March 2014

"You cannot be told what Fight Club is; you have to see it for yourself. But only if you think you're hard enough."

Fight Club, directed by David Fincher already had an established fan-base before it hit theatres in 1999 due to the cult novel it was adapted from by Chuck Palahniuk. It is very clear from Fincher's previous work such as Seven (1995), that he has a talented knack for capturing the murkier side of life. He is one of the most alluring visual stylists in cinema who has a very shadowy vision of human nature. These visualisations are portrayed through his narratives which are usually violent and very distinctive; mostly dark, stylish thrillers where every single frame has been calculated to push us closer to the edge as the films progress. Fincher has shown this very effectively in Fight Club, as this movie is no less dark or disturbing than his other work.

Fight Club is a dark comic drama, which takes you on a wild ride, luring you in before turning you upside down with a brutal, shocking and frequently unpleasant story; but it is also one of the most brilliant films I have ever seen. It is certainly not a movie that deserved to flop massively on its original release. Some of this negativity could be down to the social context of the time; including the horrific 1999 Columbine shootings. A fraction of the public saw the use of guns and violence in the movie inappropriate for what was happening during this period, which evidently dented the box-office revenue.

Edward Norton gives the performance of his career, playing the narrator; there is an on-going debate about whether his name is Jack (the name he refers to during the movie), or Joe (the name he refers to in the book), or whether neither of these are really his name…so we'll stick with calling him the narrator for now. The narrator is a 30-year-old single, nerdy, insomniac, with a highly unsatisfactory white-collar job, which he gets nothing from. He starts searching for some form of emotion in his soulless world by attending support groups for illnesses, such as testicular cancer. Before long, this becomes a weighty addiction. Finding comfort in these sessions, the narrator comes across a trampy but sexy, sceptical, free spirit junkie, Marla, played by the forever-amazing Helena Bonham-Carter. Doing what she does best; Carter is playing her fearless yet dark roles, which are also later shown in the very successful Harry Potter series and Burton's Sweeny Todd (2007). As Marla invades more and more of his gatherings, the narrator is feeling uncomfortable and is in need of a change.

His stimulus and motivation arrives with Tyler Durden. Once again in Fincher's hands, Brad Pitt is at the top of his game and at the heart of this black comic picture, not afraid of getting his pretty little face dirty. As Fincher throws us more twists and turns on his narrative roller-coaster ride, the narrator's apartment explodes and he has nobody else to call upon but Durden. So they share a beer and indulge in a bizarre fist-up in a car park. Although he is black and blue, the narrator has never felt so alive and before we know it, they have routed their aggression into a shocking form of therapy; beating each other up. This initiates pain not only for each other, but for the viewer also, causing our stomachs and guts to turn and flip; however we simply cannot look away.

Brad Pitt is a great choice and memorable actor to play the very anti-consumerist Durden, who is fed up of the material world that we live in, where "the things you own end up owning you". He plans to abolish this nature of society by creating Project Mayhem. Project Mayhem follows Marxism, where in this society the rich upper class that owns the means of production exploits the labour of the lower class. Also anarchy, in the remarkable final scene of the movie where Durden blows up the sky-scraping incorporate businesses and credit card companies, results in the erasing of all debt and making all people in society equal. Fincher develops the narrative by using the occasional freeze-frames to punctuate the action and the subliminal flashes are added for humour. The light comedy contrasts the dark atmosphere and mood of the film and its violence. Although it is violent and funny, it is also a very psychological and complex film to follow.

There is an amazing choice of actors who all ensemble together creating worthy and very plausible chemistry on screen. Pitt has highly dangerous yet completely fearless behaviour, presented in the shocking chemical hand-burn scene. He plays his role with such intensity but is also very comical. Norton demonstrates his talent, giving a very unique performance, which cannot be as easy as he makes it look. Bonham-Carter plays the femme fatal manic- depressive character, although somehow still portrays her mysterious and sexy side very successfully.

Every aspect of this amazingly directed and performed movie has been worked at until perfect, comparable with all of Fincher's work, from the music, cinematography, screenplay, lighting and pace. Fight Club is one of the few films that I can bear to watch more than once or twice. However, since watching this adrenaline rush of a movie, I have watched it maybe 6 or 7 times at the very least. It is a film that you can watch over and over again without getting bored, but still finds new things to love and enjoy every single time you see it. It's a film you can continuously laugh and cringe at. You can attempt to close your eyes at the extreme violence but continuously fail at doing, wanting to witness more of this incredible picture. 'Mischief. Mayhem. Soap'