IMDb > Fight Club (1999) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Fight Club

Fight Club More at IMDbPro »

Page 4 of 296: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [Next]

Overrated!!

Author: adonis98-743-186503 from Greece
14 October 2015

Saw this film a couple of months ago it was boring and crap both Pitt and Norton are ridiculous the so called action scenes are brutal but stupid and the dialogue is so funny and let's not forget Man tits. And It gets even worse with the ending i wish David Fincher makes a film that is worth it maybe a sequel to The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo would be fine since that is his only good film that i can remember. Most people will enjoy this movie because it's crazy and it's directed by Fincher but we can't all have the same opinion this movie is overrated and it deserves lower than a 8.9 for sure. A 3/10 for me it was boring and stupid!!

Fincher's weakest work

Author: Truckhitterfilms from United States
16 November 2014

"Fight Club" is one of those movies where you need to watch it more than once to fully understand what happened in the movie. The problem is that "Fight Club" leaves you with no reason to re-watch it other than to know if the movie is actually a complex but brilliant masterpiece, or an overrated film that just barely rises above mediocrity. I guess I will have to stay with believing the latter because nothing makes me want to return.

The narrator (Edward Norton), who is suffering from insomnia, meets Tyler Durden (Brad Pitt) on a company trip. When the narrator returns to his apartment, he finds that it has been destroyed and, with no one else to go to, calls Tyler. The narrator moves into Tyler's house and one night, upon Tyler's request, the narrator punches him. The two begin to fight and attract a crowd of people, which becomes Fight Club.

"Fight Club" is hailed as a brilliant social commentary about consumerism and how we as people live our lives now, though it isn't saying anything more than any other person or form of media that has spoken up about consumerism, and at the same time is feeding the viewer a false idea. Tyler says, "An entire generation pumping gas, waiting tables; slaves with white collars. Advertising has us chasing cars and clothes, working jobs we hate so we can buy sh*t we don't need." Right, because there are no other reasons why people would be working these jobs that they hate? Not everything is about consumerism. Some people have jobs for that reason, but others have certain situations in their lives which makes them have to take these white collar jobs even if they hate it. In all fairness, the movie does save itself a bit by disapproving of Tyler's radical plans, but it is still trying to pass off his ideas as an important message when his they are flawed.

Carrying on the theme of trying to be brilliant but failing, let's take a look at the plot. So, Tyler is just a figment of the Narrator's imagination because of his insomnia. Okay, got it. So, the Narrator is fighting himself in the parking lot of the bar when a group of guys comes out to watch and decides that they want to fight as well, which means that they were the first people to join fight club. But, they saw that there was obviously something wrong with the Narrator because he's fighting himself, so why would they end up following a guy who was obviously not all there? He wasn't spreading his propaganda about consumerism at the time either, so they weren't following him because they believed his ideas. Then, the twist that Tyler was in the Narrator's head the whole time is one of the laziest twists in cinematic history. Ignoring the fact that it barely makes sense like with the example I gave above, the twist of something being in a character's mind is like a film student level idea when they're trying to be deep. Then, to get rid of Tyler, the Narrator shoots himself in the head and that somehow kills him. I've heard that it's supposed to symbolize that the Narrator was finally able to let go of Tyler and is able to make his own choice now, but to me, symbolism only works if it makes sense. What it's symbolizing makes sense, how it's done doesn't.

Along with Pitt and Norton, Helena Bonham Carter (Marla) also appears in the film, who is used for nothing more than additional pointless drama, that makes no sense in the grand scheme of things. It is said throughout the whole movie that the Narrator doesn't like Marla, but the side of him that's Tyler at least tolerates her or has romantic feelings towards her or something. So, at the end, when Project Mayhem is about to go through with its master plan, the Narrator warns Marla to leave town and when she's captured, he goes to help her. Now, it makes a little sense that he might feel guilty about getting her involved, even though he was willing to let her die earlier in the film, but then it implies some sort of deeper connection between them, even though it was the Tyler side of the Narrator that liked her, and it's shown that the Narrator and Tyler both have different ideas and thoughts, so they are individuals, but now the Narrator suddenly cares about Marla.

"Fight Club" is a movie with a flawed understanding of society that, while it's condemning the actions of Tyler Durden, it is promoting his flawed logic as some sort of important message about society and how we live our lives. This movie comes off to me one of those films that actually has very little or nothing new to say, but people believe it has an important commentary to it and praise it even though it's nothing more or less than mediocre and barely worth remembering. I like David Fincher a lot and while, based on what I've seen, I don't believe he's made a bad movie yet, this is cutting is pretty close.

mind blowing ..!!!

Author: sharath reddy from hyderabad, india
21 March 2013

first of all let me tell you this is the first time ever i am writing a review so if there are any minor mistakes please don't bother. when i searched for the best mystery thrillers on IMDb i first found this movie on that list, when i searched for the best dark comedies, again i found this movie there, and when i searched for best crime thrillers, there also i found this movie, but its name "fight club" suggests action, so i was wondering what is this movie actually about so gave it a try and trust me this movie has everything action comedy suspense crime just everything. not even for a single second i felt bored watching this, right from the first frame you will be into it, and that climax twist was just mind blowing, i really did't except this movie will turn out to be such entertaining. really a grate movie well directed good acting and i still don't understand why this movie did't get an Oscar!!? i highly recommend it to all those movie buffs over there and i tell you, without "fight club" any of your movie collection is incomplete.

Words are not good enough to describe this movie

Author: Haziq Showkat from India
20 June 2012

i gotta say this is one of the best movies i have ever seen,if not the best.Every scene is just pure awesome,and its really film making at its best although definitely not for "casual" movie watchers who just want to have a good time because they cant appreciate the genius of this film.In short this movie is definitely the masterpiece of movie creation and get ready to be blown away by this movie.

so just go and buy a copy and experience this amazing film and experience the awesomeness oozing from this movie.Right from the start to the great great ending,this movie takes you away on a roller coaster ride and you will definitely enjoy this modern masterpiece with awesome performance from all the actors especially Brad Pitt.

What are you waiting for?

One Of The Most Remarkable Films Ever Made.

Author: Liam Tennant from United Kingdom
17 June 2012

Fight Club Is without a doubt the craziest film I have ever seen. The twist in the film was spoiled for me so I won't spoil it for any of you guys. It took me way too long to finally watch this film and I regret not watching it earlier, it stars my favourite actor, Edward Norton, who's performance in American History was jaw dropping and another great actor known as Brad Pitt who stars in se7en which is also directed by David Fincher. Fight Club see's a no named man known as The Narrator (Edward Norton) go through his life dealing with insomnia. During this remarkable journey he meets a man called Tyler Durden (Brad Pitt) on plane. After an accident which causes The Narrator's apartment to explode, then leads to him living with Tyler. After a night of drinking, the two drunk friends then start to fight each other, however, it isn't a fight to do with hate, the two remain friends. They fight once again after another night of drinking but this time they are spotted. The two that found Tyler and The Narrator fighting then ask if they can join in, this leads to more and more people joining in. They decided to call it Fight Club. I won't go any further as I don't want to ruin the story for anyone. Fight Club is probably my favourite film of all time and it should be watched ASAP. The acting and story make Fight Club arguably one of the greatest films ever made. I give Fight Club 5 stars.

strange film

Author: edwardnutbeam from Spain
24 November 2015

A difficult to understand film, that borders boring at some points, the fact that it has such a high rating is quite mind boggling. At some points interesting, but not the most thrilling piece of cinematography that I've seen, plays with the psychological aspects of humanity, and in the end is a confusing expo of a delusional persons realty, illustrated through "fighting" with ones self and then recruiting others to demonstrate similar violence as if it were to contribute in the bettering of individuals who ultimately degenerate in a seudo-terrorist activity and is only ended when one of the two polarities of the protagonist, causes a shot to his head, ending the personal torture of enduring this film.

Fight Club: A Misguided Attempt at Presenting Ideas

Author: klarsbar
11 June 2015

Watching "Fight Club" made me feel the same way I do about watching most Stanley Kubrick films. There are revolutionary ideas in such films, but they are either presented in an insulting, incoherent, or an ineffective manner. "Fight Club" falls into the first category "insulting." To present some very good ideas they have to use a person with Schizophrenia to present those ideas. "The Narrator" Edward Norton falls into great peril because of his disorder. I'm usually a pretty accepting person, but I don't understand why more people aren't insulted by this. They use him as a pawn to get their point across. There must have been a more creative way to do this. Some of the ideas in the film are relevant to that time, and because of that, I understand why some people like the film. Corperations are corrupt, material possessions are too prevalent etc. I don't know if blowing up buildings is the way to solve those problems however. The script wasn't bad. Pitt, Norton, and Bohem- Carter gave solid performances. The film is just empty, immoral, and I felt that the first 1/2 hour of the movie could have been edited out. This is not the worst film I've ever seen, but it is far from one of the greatest of all-time.

** Two out of five stars

Highly Overrated!!!

Author: Pumpkin_Man from United States
10 June 2015

Last night was the very first time I have ever watched this movie. One of my Facebook friends bought me a copy because I had never seen it. I knew this movie had a cult following and after finally watching, I'm trying to understand why. Maybe if I watched it several more times, it'll grow on me, but I have a feeling I won't for quite a while. It wasn't all bad. It did have some decent and funny moments. I liked Helena Bonham Carter's character. The middle half of the movie was probably the best, but it went down-hill for me when the 'fight club' basically turned into a cult and the weird twist involving Brad Pitt's character.

Edward Norton stars as a traveling automobile company employee who suffers from insomnia. He's known as The Narrator because he visits support groups to see how other people suffer. He eventually meets a woman a lot more miserable than him named Marla Singer. After his apartment explodes, he calls up Tyler Durden, a man who he befriended on a plane. They slowly start a 'Fight Club' where guys meet up and just beat each other up. If you like movies that are supposed to be considered 'great' you might enjoy FIGHT CLUB!!!

Self help to the extreme.

Author: Michael O'Keefe from Muskogee OK
26 April 2009

A dark comedy with a cult following. Director David Fincher takes Chuck Palaniuk's novel to maybe a harsher and dangerous place. Known only as The Narrator(Edward Norton)is a corporate employee that is no longer enchanted by his elaborate apartment and its expensive furnishings and pretty much disenfranchised from life itself and is concerned with his lack of ability to sleep. He attends self-help groups to relish in not being as miserable as the people surrounding him. He meets a suicidal Marla Singer(Helena Bonham Carter), but wants to distance himself from her. Life changing is his meeting with a soap salesman Tyler Durden(Brad Pitt), who is anarchy's poster child. Durden thrives on being a roguish rebel and convinces The Narrator into staging impromptu boxing matches in parking lots and deserted building basements. These matches are bare chested and with bare knuckles. The fighters beat the living crap out of each other until one yells stop. Durden is credited with starting fight clubs across the nation; and eventually turns the clubs into aggression laden pranksters releasing their malice on corporate America.

Brutal violence and strong language is to be expected along with some pretty graphic images. Also in the cast: Meat Loaf, David Andrews, Zach Grenier, Jared Leto and Eion Bailey.

"Fight Club" requires a lot of viewer trust and patience, but the reward is a very fine movie.

Author: TxMike from Houston, Tx, USA, Earth
11 August 2000

"Fight Club" runs a bit over 2 hours. For the first 1 hour and 51 minutes I found this movie very difficult to watch or enjoy. I kept wondering why Ed Norton's character continued to put up with Brad Pitt's out-of-control character. To me the movie seemed to be one big mess. However, my patience, and trust in the director, paid off and I had to watch much of the movie twice to really appreciate how good it is. I rate it 9 of 10 and predict it will be one of those ground-breaking films that viewers and critics refer to for years, much like "The Matrix" and "The Sixth Sense." It is definitely for someone with a mature mind, who can understand subtleties, and who enjoys "studying" a film. This film is definitely meant to be a funny and absurd take on life, but with a very dark tone to it. It isn't really about "fight clubs", although the fighting is presented as an avenue for characters to deal with their inner conflicts. It is not intended to represent reality, nor to suggest that fighting is good. It's closest prior film is perhaps "Doctor Strangelove."

I saw this film on DVD. The sound is perhaps the best I've heard so far. There are several crashes and explosions throughout the movie and the realism is just so good it made me cringe. But you have to have a good subwoofer to enjoy it all.

Now - CAUTION - SPOILERS FOLLOW - READ AT YOUR OWN RISK.

However, I think most people will enjoy the movie more, on first viewing, if they understand the total concept. So here it is.

Norton plays the "narrator", and in the introductory scenes we find out he has a conventional existence, a traveling job as a "recall coordinator" for a major automobile manufacturer. By his own admission he is "a slave to the IKEA nesting instinct", travels with his "CK shirts and DKNY shoes", and says of his total existence "close to being complete." "Fighting" is completely foreign to him. But, deep in his subconscious he hates what he is becoming, and if he were to die now his life will have been meaningless.

Brad Pitt's character, Tyler Durden, is Norton's alter-ego. They are one and the same person. In opening scenes you see various single-frame flashes (stop-action on DVD helps see this clearly) of Pitt's 'Tyler', we assume still in Norton's subconscious as he first begins to realize he hates his existence.

Then, on a buisness flight, while talking to the lady seated next to him, Norton thinks "I pray for a crash or midair collision", which is quickly followed by a highly realistic "dream collision", then Pitt's Tyler Durden the rest of the trip is actually sitting next to Norton, conversing with him. This "prayer for a crash" is the consciousness that first makes Pitt's Tyler totally real to Norton.

The rest of the movie has many scenes with both Norton and Tyler but, we see later, no one else ever sees Brad Pitt's "Tyler", they only see Norton as "Tyler." Brad Pitt's Tyler is explained this way, "You were looking for a way to change your life. You could not do this on your own. All the ways you wish you could be - that's me. I look like you want to look... am free in all the ways you are not. Little by little you're letting yourself become - Tyler Durden."

The movie's title is unfortunately misleading, because only a small part of the movie is really about the fighting, which is used as a way for disillusioned men to get out their frustrations. One line by Norton, "This kid from work, Ricky, couldn't remember if you ordered pens with blue ink or black. But Ricky was a 'god' for 10 minutes when he trounced the maitre d' of the local food court", explains the gist of why they fight. It symbolizes the one area where they are in complete control of their pleasure and pain.

That last comment, "maitre d' of the local food court" illustrates the comedic approach to much of the movie. Who ever heard of a food court having a maitre d'? How much lower in the food chain could you get? Or Ricky supplying ink pens at work? One of the fight club "assignments", to pick a fight with a stranger, then lose", has a number of very funny sequences in it.

The movie turns very dark when the fight club kicks itself "up a notch" and begins to plot the destruction of all major buildings housing credit card companies. The rationale - destroy them and all their records of debt, and everyone can start again at ground zero. When Norton's Tyler finally at 1 hour 52 minutes into the film finally figures out what he had done, he tries unsuccessfully to twarth the plan. The final scene shows him and his girlfriend standing before a window in a high-rise, and sequentially all bombs go off and the buildings crash into various piles of rubble. Reminiscent of the final scene of "Doctor Strangelove", where all the nuclear bombs are going off, destroying the world.

The closing line, Norton says, "Everything will be alright. You met me at a really strange time in my life." Again, dark humor.

The genius of this film, if there is any, resides in the premise that the two main characters represent the two extremes of the same person, and in the end the "real" Tyler Durden meets them in the middle. Once you know this premise, and can watch the whole movie in this context, I found it much more enjoyable, made much more sense, and every scene with both Tylers is done completely in character with the premise.

The DVD also has a second DVD which is devoted to extras which are in themselves very interesting if you like to study the art of film-making. However, plan to spend a minimum of 5 hours total in viewing and studying this film to get its full impact.