IMDb > Fight Club (1999) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Fight Club

Fight Club More at IMDbPro »

Page 3 of 313: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [Next]

Superb

Author: grantss from Sydney, Australia
19 April 2014

Superb, and truly one of the greatest movies of all time.

It starts with the screenplay. Adapted from, and very faithful to, an excellent book. The book by Chuck Palahniuk was perfect for a movie: vivid, powerful, challenging, original, unpredictable. Considering how perfectly formed the book already was, the screenplay would have been a doddle.

Some very interesting themes are explored - consumerism, class warfare, multiple-personality disorder, male bonding, terrorism and anarchy - without being judgemental.

Direction is spot-on. Perfect cinematography, pacing and editing. The twists and nuances of the book are captured perfectly.

Edward Norton and Brad Pitt are perfectly cast as the two lead characters, and deliver in spades. Helena Bonham Carter is a strange selection to take on the role of Marla, as she tends to act in Shakespearean dramas and other period pieces. However, despite this, her performance is very convincing.

An absolute classic.

"This is your life."

Author: Al_The_Strange from United States
13 April 2014

I am Jack's review of the movie Fight Club. If you don't know what that means, it's just a small taste of how sardonic this whole film is.

At first, I assumed Fight Club was just a movie about a bunch of guys beating each other up. From the moment it starts, however, it proves to be much more than that. It's actually a very strangely neurotic and mesmerizing descent into a testosterone-fueled madness. Actual fighting is limited; what you get instead is a storytelling experience that's so warped, it will challenge your perception of what is and isn't real in the film. The film itself even gets warped, with such bizarre effects as having single frames of images mixed into random spots, and one frenetic scene where the negative appears to come undone. Throw in some wild computer-generated modelling effects and some brisk editing, and the film becomes a highly stylized and entrancing experience.

The story is a real doozy. It kicks off strong and hard, showcasing the insomniac protagonist and chronicling how he went from being an average office worker with everything into a deviant with nothing (and nothing to lose). Things get thrilling when the actual fight club takes off and anarchy starts to spread, but the main focus is always on exploring the characters, and it all builds up to an unpredictable climax. There is a massive plot twist in the mix, but it's one of those that holds up extremely well on repeat viewings (even though it can be a little hard to believe). Characters shine really well, thanks to their nuanced performances, their sharp dialogue, their convoluted relationships, and the nature of the plot, which really makes us stop and think about what's going on in their heads.

There are a number of themes that can be extrapolated from this crazy story. The most blatant messages concern anarchy, as the characters constantly criticize the modern consumerist culture and emphasize "letting go." Much of the story is really about them abandoning the common goals of wealth, success, or material things, and just being yourself. There are moments where the film also seems to dig up deeper metaphysical questions and meaning, especially regarding morality and the perception of reality.

As noted above, the film has one heck of a style. The camera work is very solid and good, while the editing tends to be very inventive and wild. Acting is great; Edward Norton, Brad Pitt, and Helena Bonham Carter are effectively perfect in their roles. Writing is awesome, and there are tons of great lines. This production uses some very great and detailed-looking sets, props, costumes, and special effects. Music by the Dust Brothers can be a bit nutty, but is mostly pretty awesome.

Fight Club is a movie with some serious attitude and style. The experience of watching it is like going through that feeling of wooziness after being punched in the face, for it is that trippy. I could say more, but the first and second rules of Fight Club forbid me...

5/5 (Experience: Perfect | Story: Perfect | Film: Perfect)

A controversial satire and a contemporary classic. perhaps the most post-9/11 film to have been made pre-9/11

Author: badfeelinganger from United Kingdom
19 September 2014

Solid Acting and Amazing Direction A movie that wants to keep its audience unsettled from beginning to end. perhaps the most post-9/11 film to have been made pre-9/11, capturing perfectly both the stirring discontent of the Nineties and the madness both geopolitical and especially economic, that would erupt globally in the decade to come. Wildly inventive, exceptionally cast and undeniably controversial, there's an endless list of subtexts and viewpoints which will fuel debates for years. Fight Club is not just a movie, but a wake up call to a disenfranchised generation sick of being told by advertising what to drive, wear, buy, smoke, drink and eat in order to be cool. Fight Club is still today a definitive film, a statement as strong as any rock anthem and twice as packed with power chords.Essential Hollywood film of 1999.

It's not the concept, it's the way the film presents it

Author: gasmaskproductionsbooks from Canada
17 January 2017

Fight Club is that one film you always hear about in colleges and universities, hailed as some sort of 'stick it to the man rebellion' story with all these pretentious meanings that apparently need to be analyzed in great depth to the point where I can't start a conversation about films without hearing Fight Club come up at least once. Pseudo-intellectuals, perverts, frat boys and emos all get obsessed with this one like moths to a flame. Of course, it would be the most spoiled, coddled and secure of society's demographic that enjoy Fight Club because they say it speaks so much to the hurt and anger they apparently experience on a day-to-day basis. I'm sure they'd change their tune and perhaps value humanity over themselves more if they'd grown up in earlier eras, but that's getting rather off-topic.

Fight Club is not a terrible film. It has interesting characters, a decent plot and it follows the original book very well. The soundtrack is dated, the themes are dated, the dialogue is vulgar simply for the sake of being vulgar, and the entire thing as a whole is just trying way too hard to appeal to a certain type of entitled, self-absorbed and immature Generation X/ Millennial crowd (although really I think films are subjective and can be enjoyed by anyone). Fight Club is offensive in every sense of the word, disgustingly crass at times, weird, overly long, and yet I still liked it - but I think it's incredibly overrated for what it is, and I don't think the viewers of it really seem to grasp the full idea it was trying to put out there.

The film is more or less a very nihilistic portrayal of a young man rebelling against modern corporate capitalism and society in general by forming an underground fight club with his SPOILER ALERT!!! imaginary friend and alter-ego Tyler Durden. Durden is a character, but at the same time an embodiment of everything bad, wasteful, annoying, volatile, cruel, narcissist and utterly pointless albeit intellectual that the main character himself is putting out into the world by his own attitude. Anarchy and rebellion, and the aftermath of them, remains one of the biggest themes in Fight Club alongside being an entertaining comedy. However, many viewers of the film just pick up on the vulgar one-liners about women and masturbation and sex, the heavy violence and Tyler's selfish view that humans exist to please themselves, not to care about others, and that the world, everything and everyone in it is just a game to be played. Viewers of Fight Club I've noticed retain the idea that if you show emotion, compassion, pity, sadness or kindness, you're an overly sensitive baby. "Real men" cause chaos, have sex constantly, swear their mouths off, go out of their way to offend others and don't give a damn about anyone else but #1. And naturally, when the main character grows up and matures slightly in the end, people find this confusing. Basically, the main character thought he knew how cruel and ugly the world was, but he was just a bored kid and a hypocrite. In fact, the majority of young adults are hypocrites who think the world revolves around them and their views. I was that way when I was that age, too. I went through a "pro-pollution" phase where I littered on purpose and refused to recycle. Why? Just to stir up trouble. I went through a goth phase where I wore black lipstick and thick black eye makeup to make a panda bear green with envy. Why? Just for shock value and to tick off my teachers. I went through an emo phase, cutting my arms with plastic cutlery and dying my hair black with pink streaks, listening to depressing music and whining about being depressed, while the popular blonde cheerleader sitting in the desk next to mine really WAS suicidal and it went totally unnoticed. Why? Because I was too wrapped up in my own teenage angst garbage to bother helping anyone or anything else. I wanted attention, I wanted to be noticed, but looking back on it a few years later, I realize how insignificant it all is. All teenagers are dumb. I have never come across an intelligent teenager. I've come across many intellectual teenagers, but not intelligent ones. Durden is exactly the figure most teenagers, teenage guys and college guys especially, emulate.

...Okay, that's really getting repetitive now. Like the films 'Donnie Darko' and 'A Clockwork Orange', I think the themes of chaos, nihilism and anarchy are important, but Fight Club is so overrated for what it is. How it has such a high rating over films like 'The Killing Fields' and 'Threads', I'll never understand. Reviewers keep raving about its aesthetics and its depth, but it's no more deep than many other films. ANY film with a social commentary is considered "deep". Fight Club I think just hit the world at the right time, plus it's making a comeback for many nostalgic hipsters, so it will definitely continue to be highly regarded for many years to come, which is not necessarily a bad thing, yet Fight Club shares what, exactly, with the world? Young adults are jerks? Have I missed some vital bit of info to make Fight Club so popular and beloved, or what?

A complete classic.

Author: Onur Gül (HJPOG@hotmail.com) from Turkey
16 July 2016

First, for this great masterpiece, I would like to thank David Fincher. The film gives a great message on psychology. But the main purpose is to show what level shambles of today's youth. The film tackles the decline of today's youth in a very hard way. Officially something new comes out after today's young people run the thing themselves or dedicate themselves to always search for a leader, this problem offers in a great way the audience. Acting I can say enormous. Formally integrated the roles of the players. Already today, many people have come by Tyler Durden character of history is considered as the best anti-hero. Every part of the film is filled with great criticism about our day. Also great to send on to mention other films. One of the most important elements of the film I'd say the mystery. Indeed, for someone with no knowledge of the subject monitors and film for the first time in a very difficult prediction about the end of the film. Absolutely should for everyone to see, and even to do bedside film is a masterpiece..

Edward Norton finds his life a compete loss until he meet Tyler, the soap salesman

Author: butterysandwich from United States
30 September 2014

Fight Club is a rather dark drama filled with subtle comedy and with a rather dark ending. The ending is actually the most important scene in the movie and the director decided to begin the film with it too. However, he purposely leaves out the major twist you learn at the end. This is obviously done not to ruin the rest of the movie. However, the fact that you never learn the narrator's real name the entire movie is the most important part of this plot twist. When you learn that Tyler is actually just the narrator's mental projection, your entire understanding of the movie is changed. Tyler is the narrator's mental projection of what he wants to be. During the movie, the narrator's physical appearance worsens while Tyler's actually gets better. This was a consciously made decision by the director in the film. "We decided early on that I would start to starve myself as the film went on, while he would lift and go to tanning beds; he would become more and more idealized as I wasted away." The fact that the narrator's physical appearance degrades over the lapse of the film is an excellent choice to show how actually his mental state became worse and worse. This is not only because of his continuous insomnia throughout the film, but also for his own self-hatred for how average his life has become. This is why he eventually creates Tyler as an image of a true man and what he actually wants to be. What he wants to see in himself he envisions in Tyler.

Tyler is very masculine, handsome, and confident. All of these characteristics the narrator lacks. Tyler is what the narrator actually sees himself as becoming. He falsely sees partaking in these underground fight clubs to make himself more masculine. This is why Tyler's appearance becomes more ideal, while the narrator's worsens. He only sees himself become this more ideal person while in reality; he is not bettering himself at all. He quits his job, loses all connections to his friends and family, and completely loses track of who he actually is. The reason why the narrator creates Tyler is not only because of his hatred for his own lifestyle, but also how emasculate he felt in society. He has no confidence in his own self-image and who he is. When he goes to these self-help groups, he actually gains little confidence in himself seeing that there are actually people who are less of a man than he is and has bigger problems than he does. The first time he actually embraces this is when he is at the self-help group for men with testicular cancer. He convinces himself that he is also a victim. He is not actually a victim to the same circumstances these men face, but feels just as emasculate as they do. This is actually what relieves his insomnia. It isn't actually until he meets Marla that he sees how fake both of them are by going to self-help groups for their own pleasure that his insomnia worsens and eventually meets Tyler.

The physical appearance of the characters in the movie Fight Club is an unnoticed decision the director made that emphasizes a crucial point in the movie. The fact that the narrator projects what he wants to be through Tyler is seen through his appearance. Tyler becomes more attractive while in reality, he becoming worse off and just more battered and beat up as the movie goes on. The narrator never comes to grip with this until the final scene of the movie. Once the narrator realizes that Tyler is just what he project, he sees how far Tyler has taken his role. He finds a middle ground between Tyler's over masculinity and his low self-esteem as 'kills' Tyler once and for all.

Alternative story

Author: doc from Colombia
6 October 2013

This film impressed me because it is not the typical story you find in books or movies. I'm a fan of black humor and it is quite funny how the characters laugh at themselves, at their lives and problems, and I think even moral fags will laugh on this and will be surprised. Also I found interesting the way the story develops, which has an alternative end that one doesn't expect to happen at all, but if one pays enough attention, there are a pair of details that suggests how it might end. It is a movie that makes you think about your own life, about scary things that happen around you and you don't even notice it. So it is not actually so far from reality. Actually a friend of mine has told me he found the movie better than the book itself.

Cult Classic

Author: rickyspanishhhhh from United States
8 July 2014

As a dude, I feel obliged to watch this movie at least once a year. No seriously, it's good for your testosterone levels.

I first watched Fight Club in high school, and although I didn't get it at first, I've been watching it ever since with increasing pleasure. Arguably David Fincher's best movie for a multitude of reasons, namely that sweet blend of dark humor, violence, and bad-ass performances by the actors.

Cinematography is great, even though the special effects are sometimes questionable/dizzying/cheesy, it never seems to bother me; call me nostalgic, I think it just adds to the overall flavor of the film.

People kinda either hate or love this movie. Either way, if you haven't seen it yet, something's wrong with you.

In a year of amazing films, this one always stands out for me.

Author: book 5678 from Canada
23 November 2013

Whenever I talk about different years in movies, I always pick 1999 as my favourite year. So many amazing films came out such as American Beauty, The Green Mile, The Matrix and Being John Malkovich. Out of every movie that came out this year, one stands out for me and that is Fight Club.

The first time I ever watched this movie was really late at night and I had waited for it to come on T.V and had to wait until everyone was asleep. I was in absolute awe over the sheer brilliance of the film. everything about it is amazing.

The first thing I noticed was the cinematography. Every time I watch this movie, the opening shot gets me excited and ready for a powerful film.

The story itself is so interesting, it doesn't have any dull moments. Even when a character's life is portrayed as boring you are just hooked in wanting to see what will happened next. The way the story develops also is very fascinating.

Then we have wonderful performances from both Edward Norton and Brad Pitt. But I think that the real standout here is Helena Bonham Carter. She plays one of the only female characters in the movie and truly makes you think about everything in the movie.

There is one negative point though, the fact that a few scenes feel random and tacked on, along with some plot holes.

Overall, if you haven't checked this out, this is a must for every person as long as you aren't squeamish.

Rating: 6.8/7 (or 9/10)

The first rule of Fight Club is to watch Fight Club!

Author: connorstelle from United States
16 June 2013

I watched this movie along with District 9 on a long car ride. I approached both the same way I approached the 1986 version of The Fly: is this going to be so disgusting I'm going to barf ten minutes in? Luckily, like The Fly, both movies were incredible, and Fight Club was definitely the better of the two. The plot tells the story of an insomniac man (Edward Norton in his best role) who wants to improve his life. He gets that chance when he meets Tyler Durden (Brad Pitt in one of his best roles), an increasingly insane soap maker who creates the fight club of the title. Finishing off the terrific team is director David Fincher, whose work includes Se7en, The Game, and The Social Network. Without giving anything away, the 3/4 mark of the film gives us a MAJOR unexpected twist. After finishing the movie, I didn't know what to make of it. Five minutes later, I knew this film was a modern masterpiece that deserves its place at #10 on the top 250 list.