IMDb > Fight Club (1999) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Fight Club

Fight Club More at IMDbPro »

Page 15 of 305: [Prev][10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [22] [23] [24] [25] [Next]

One of the best of 90's

Author: MovieNewsAndUpdates from India
11 November 2012

I am really in love with the decade of 90's which gave us such unforgettable masterpieces like Pulp Fiction, matrix, Usual suspects, American History X and many more. But this is definitely the stand out film amongst the many mentioned above.

With Impeccable duologue's, amazing performances from all the three central characters, exceptional direction, unforgettable story, the only thing i feel that went wrong with the movie was the title(according to me). Because like few others i started off watching this film expecting it to be an action thriller but i ended up watching a mind boggling art.

I had seen a few movies of David Fincher like Seven and Panic Room and frankly, it was not enough for me to become an avid follower of his movies. But since Fight Club he has become one of my favorite director and i have enjoyed his movies and to a certain extent interpreted his way of story telling.

Fight Club opens up with a very unique way of story telling with Ed Norton as the Narrator of the film and Brad Pitt as Tyler Durden. As the movie progresses and the audiences begin to believe that it is not just about a fight club but there is much more to the story as it becomes equally confusing as to what exactly the movie is referring to, Is it about fight club or is it about the characters in the film. But above the story and characters it is definitely David Fincher who deserves the major lot of the credit for directing such an engaging story. Fight Club at times can be disturbing but it keeps you stuck to your seats for entire 140 minutes.

It was extremely surprising to note that the movie got nominated for best effects and sound effects editing and not for best film, or director or any actor. Although the movie has not won any Oscar, it remains to be a masterpiece.

Where was my mind?

Author: Joe Stracke from United States
18 October 2012

This film has been out long enough to make a legitimate review either irrelevant or redundant; unless of course you've never seen it, in which case you really should decide for yourself its merits or lack thereof.

I will comment on the appreciation I have for the sound work in this film; especially the treatment given to the final musical selection (i.e., it's near impossible to hear a song in its completion and without a severe hatchet-job in any movie, for obvious reasons)… most attempts at incorporating popular music end in MTV-esque sound bites that resemble a delusional DJ with ADHD.

Lastly, kudos to Mr. Fincher's menu concept for the Blu-ray release; even knowing what the film was about, I was still taken off guard.

Fight Club

Author: lanceshiff93 from United States
2 October 2012

The narrator, who is played by Norton, is identified in the script as Jack but is left nameless in the film. He suffers from insomnia and is just missing something in his life, but he does not know what that something is. He can't sleep, can't think, basically a zombie. He goes to support groups for clarity on anything at all and it makes him happy. After a woman starts showing up to these support groups, he returns to his sad, insomniac ways. He drives himself so crazy his mind creates "Tyler," whom he starts a fight club with. He creates Tyler because that is the thing he is missing. He wants to be the person he created but just is not that person so he creates him in his mind, so only he can see and hear him.

Throughout the beginning of the movie, before Tyler is introduced, you see the a flash of a person just standing in random places for a split second. This is when the narrator is at his worst with his insomnia. The flash you see turns out to be Tyler. The narrator is so sleep deprived, he imagines these things that aren't actually there. When the narrator is on the plane and meets Tyler for the first time, it shows both characters' brief cases. They are identical. Also at work, the narrator's boss wears different colored ties on different days, and they are said to determine the day and mood of his boss.

There are so many scenes that are so significant in this film. However, each character has a scene that is so important to the entire film. For Marla, who is Tyler's/ the narrator's lover, her big scene is when she is introduced. She comes into the film with a bad reputation already, saying how she ruined the narrator's life. She appears to be the root of all that is evil in the film. Had she not have gone to the support groups, the narrator would still go to them to be happy and actually get sleep, which would lead to the narrator not having to create Tyler, then start fight club and eventually blow up half the city. She is the base for all that happens in the rest of the film. For the narrator and Tyler, I believe a big scene for them was when they first fight in the parking lot of the bar. It just went on to show how rapidly something like that grows because within the next month it was huge. For the narrator, his scene is after the scene in the bathroom with Tyler, when he is at work. He is talking with his boss and usually when he talks with him, he is polite and obeying, but this time was different. The narrator lashes out on him after his boss questions him about a paper that was on the copier. This is where you can tell the narrator is growing to be more and more like Tyler. He just stopped caring altogether. The big scene for Tyler was when he went over the rules of Fight Club. The first two rules are that you do not talk about Fight Club. Tyler stresses the importance of secrecy for the whole operation and you could tell this is where Tyler knew it was going to be big.

By seeing how the narrator creates Tyler, how he goes to support groups, him blowing up his own apartment, starting Fight Club, and eventually starting a cult-like group goes to show just how sad he really is. Even if they don't directly go out and say he is not happy, it shows throughout the movie that he is a sad, lonely, and quite frankly, a straight up crazy person. All of these instances are just a few from the movie, but there are plenty more that show he's insane. Starting a cult-like group does not occur this once for Norton's career. His character in "American History X" does almost the same thing.

As far as knowing the narrator was a little crazy, it was obvious to tell he was maybe just a little. You could say it he is a little strange because he wakes up in different places and does not remember how he got there, or because he goes to support groups just to help him sleep at night. But nothing to the extent of what it showed at the end. He creates this alter ego that in the end almost ends up killing him and succeeds in blowing up buildings and never realizes it was really him until Tyler tells him about it. I don't think anyone saw that coming, but you could definitely tell something a little weird was going on with the narrator.

The movie itself I feel would be difficult to create but the director nailed it. The scene where Tyler burns the narrator's hand with a chemical is where you can really see the power Tyler has and you can tell the narrator starts to get a little frightened of him and his intentions. Another is when you find out Tyler was really just in the narrator's head and they recap points in the movie where you thought Tyler was the person doing these things but it turns out it was really the narrator. That scene answered any questions of how they did it. Also throughout the movie it did a really great job at hiding but at the same time hinting Tyler was just a figment of the narrator's imagination. The only thing I would question about the movie is when the narrator meets Tyler in the airport and sees Tyler leave in a car he just stole. I personally do not see the importance of him stealing the car and I don't understand who actually stole the car.

Mischief. Mayhem. Soap.

Author: Mara Deckard from Australia
22 September 2012

Nothing says "ANARCHY!! COS F**K YEAH!!" like a healthy punch to the ear. And if you are in the mood to scream a big, fat "F**k You" to the world, then this is the film for you.

Fight Club's nameless protagonist (Edward Norton) begins unravelling as he endures a destructive bout of insomnia. After following his doctor's advice, he becomes addicted to therapy groups and meets Marla Singer (Helena Bonham Carter). After this short-lived encounter with the only female in the movie, our narrator meets Tyler Durden (Brad Pitt) on a business flight. Their camaraderie eventually sees them starting a fight club built on the philosophy of anarchy and rejection of societal status quo. But is anarchy really the answer? How far do you take it?

If you have ever felt like a consumerist machine then I urge you to try this for kicks. The novel by Chuck Palaniuk is also a must read (but should be judged separately from the film as they differ in many aspects).

Stand outs: Meatloaf as "B**ch-tits Bob": has to be seen to be believed.

A memorable, iconoclastic, disturbing film

Author: fidelio74 from Sydney, Australia
21 September 2012

'Fight Club' is a memorable, iconoclastic, disturbing film. Director David Fincher's visual style is really on display here - he has an exceptionally good eye, and the film is not only thematically dark but also quite dark visually. The visual darkness of this movie recalls Fincher's earlier film 'Se7en', which also starred Fincher regular Brad Pitt.

The Narrator (who remains unnamed throughout the course of the film but who is played by Edward Norton in a wonderfully neurotic performance) is an insomniac office worker who feels as though he is a slave to corporate ideals and senses that his humdrum life has no meaning. Things change drastically via a chance meeting with an anarchist soap salesman named Tyler Durden (Brad Pitt). Together, the two men channel their latent male aggression by forming a primal 'fight club' which meets on a regular basis in the dank basement of a seedy bar named Lou's Tavern. This cabalistic club invites fellow frustrated angry young men to find catharsis by fighting each other and rediscovering their baser instincts. But Tyler has an even more ambitious agenda in mind...

This film, while highly recommended, is definitely not for the squeamish. Special makeup effects genius Rob Bottin provides some very graphic makeups and, while the film is about a lot more than just violence, there are some pretty horrifying moments. The violence depicted here is stomach-churning and horrific, and this is precisely how violence SHOULD be presented on screen. This is, after all, what real violence is like.

'Fight Club' has become a cult classic and rewards repeat viewings. The source material - Chuck Palahniuk's 1996 novel - is an excellent read shot through with a dark vein of black humour. Returning to the film, particular mention should go to British actress Helena Bonham Carter, who is wonderful as the bonkers Marla Singer, a suicidal woman who is sucked into Tyler's world. Carter made her name in period pieces like 'A Room With a View' and 'Howards End' so it is exciting to see her play a very different role here. And she has great fun with it.

I sense that 'Fight Club' is going to live for a long, long time. For a mainstream film, it is intelligent, vital, and has a great deal to say about modern society and the way we live our lives.

One of the most engrossing movie's I've ever seen

Author: pcast99-1 from Ohio
6 September 2012

Fight club is a very baffling film that may change you're perceived outlooks on life and society. Brad Pitt and Edward Norton give in my opinion the best performances of their careers, and it's David Fincher's best film to date.

The film deals with an unnamed narrator who works for a crooked insurance agency and the dullness begins to eat away at him until he develops insomnia. later on he meets up with a man named Tyler Durden, one of the best movie characters ever. They begin to cause all kinds of chaos to vent their frustrations on society.

The writing is very captivating and crisp, and as the movie progresses I completely lost track of time and couldn't get up for anything until the movie was over and literally left me speechless.

Some viewers may be confused about the message and the ideas presented will anger some, but it's still incredibly good and the most underrated movie ever.

Oh the sweet smell of subversive societal sweat!

Author: cwbellor from Oregon
22 August 2012

When Fight Club was released ...ahem... bestowed upon a generation so eager to see the lack of meaning in their lives, it felt like a veritable cinematic gift. And who was most eager to receive that gift? Frat boys! Meat heads! Athletic uber-tools! Confused males with no idea what to do with their testosterone or intelects could give a collective and resounding "I get it!" after declaring that this was their favorite film. And there was nothing wrong with that because this was not a disposable Michael Bay juggernaut of ejaculate. It wasn't even a Tarantino powerhouse of poised pulp! No, this movie was challenging! Unfortunately, as much as society's chode children loved it, they didn't get the message. They didn't get it like the anti-establiSHAM grim and grime enthusiasts got it. You see, there is a truly provocative, truly subversive message to this film that just sweats insight and bleeds truth. That message? Life is not Disneyland, people! Oh no! You thought life was sunny and fun? Get off your Donny Osmond douvee and stop drinking that Yoohoo! Life is a dark, bleak, damp mess and everything that doesn't come from IKEA smells like fecal matter. Fight Club shows us that in this day and age, life is so terminally f***t that finding a support group without a voluptuous obese man is as likely as buying soap that isn't made from human fat. Fat Club ...ahem... Fight Club shows us that in this world, the only truth you'll find is the truth behind a punch to the face ...or the truth between Meat Loaf's mammaries. Never before or since has there been a film that so effectively told us that our lives had no meaning. Except for maybe Twilight! Keep up the good fist, Fight Clubbers!

This film is one of the best of 1999 and of the films on the top 250.

Author: croberton from Canada
22 August 2012

I hadn't seen Fight Club when it was released in 1999. I discovered the film many years subsequent to its release. I originally watched the film for the first time on late night TV. There are many clues in the film as to what is actually happening, but whether someone picks up on them or not on the first viewing is another thing altogether. For myself, I did not catch the many underlying clues the first time but the majority of viewers don't and won't no matter how clever you are. This film was brilliantly assembled with the dialogue, vernacular, and visual style. Fight Club has a non stop pace in its 2 hour and twenty minute running time. The Sixth Sense, Go, Election, Memento, and Election are similar in the sense that they all replay scenes that clarify the real meaning of the film or key scenes/information for each viewer. All of these films are very rewarding in that respect because each of these films enighten the viewer instead of frustrating them with a feeling of insipid, senseless visuals and dialogue that leaves no lasting memorable experience. All of the actors portrayals in Fight Club are exceptional even the supporting actors comprised of David Fincher usuals for those who have seen his other various other films in the 90's. The narrative in the film is intricately layed out so that even if you believe you have the full picture on film you don't until you've seen the entire film. Go features disparate characters who are connected and who intersect through one anothers lives through a drug deal gone awry and a rave party. The Sixth Sense features Bruce Willis as a child psychologist who has an intense meeting with a former patient of his at the beginning of the film and from there on set his goals on aiding an adolescent who has similar cerebral disorders as the patient who he failed to assist who broke into his home. Election features Reese Witherspoon as an overachieiving high school student who is attempting to win the presidency at carver high. Matthew Broderick plays a teacher who intevenes against her quest as president and enlists the aid of another student who is a jock to thwart her possibility of becoming the next school president. He basically is envious of her capabilities and that is why he alters the election scenario. In memento, Guy Pierce is trying to locate his wife's killer with clues that he has tattoed on himself and notes that he writes himself because his memory fades after a few minutes. The film is shown backwards and makes the audience feel as confused as Leonard(Guy Pierce) does. The film is shown backwards because Leonard's mind is backwards. The technique of showing a film like this is fascinating and unique. This film is the only film to utilize this technique setting the film apart from any other film.

1999 and 2000 for the prevalent years of the psychological film. The films that I've seen from those two years up to this day include The Matrix, The Sixth Sense, American Beauty, The Gift, Election, The Talented Mr. Ripley, Dogma, Memento, Snatch, American Psycho, Requiem For A Dream, Charlie's Angels, The Cell, Go, Final Destination, Cruel Intentions, Traffic, Sleepy Hollow, Stir Of Echoes, The Ninth Gate, and Analyze This. That is the full amount of films I can recall from those years that were linked in the style and overall impression that they left audiences with. I grew up with these films, I was 10-11 when I saw most of these films and the quality of these films is in no comparison to the inferior quality of the films produced today.

Order from chaos.

Author: dhiman90 from Kolkata
15 August 2012

"What's the thing that I want most? Where do I want myself to be 10 years from now? What is that goal whose accomplishment will make me die a happy man? It's certainly not a chic apartment with a fat paycheck (some of it, but not all of it). The point is that they are simply a means to contentment, not happiness itself."

These were my thoughts when I finished watching Fight Club. Jesus, what a movie. It took me a whole evening to shake of the hangover. I was so hooked on to the theme of the movie. Mayhem...anarchy...the point of no return...nothing to lose. It all seems too good to resist at first.

However, after a while, I say to myself, "Hey! What was I thinking? I need to snap out of it. It's just Hollywood. Over-glamorized stuff. Nothing but marketing nihilism and calling it art...." No amount of convincing proves to be too good though. These was one of the things that was here to stay. A doubt and that irresistible desire to push everything off the edge. Even if it offered no solution. No promise to change things. No hidden messages. Everything lashed straight out. On the face. Raw and powerful. But superbly stylized all the same.

That's Fight Club. 8.5/10.

P.S. That's the second movie that gave me an overpowering urge to start working out. The first one was off course, Rocky.

Now at the top of my list

Author: motorfocus82 from United States
5 August 2012

This is the one. I saw it in the theaters at the ripe old age of 17, and was too blown away to fully process it. I've owned several copies of it since, and I've tried not to watch it too often so I can retain some fresh perspective when I do. This one isn't like the other movies. This one belongs in a different category, somewhere that serious-budget movies almost never dare to tread, but somehow, this was made. Between the stunning screenplay based on the fantastic book, and the amazing directing and basically perfect acting, there is no slack to even try to critique it as a normal film. It is inspired art. Some people will hate it. In fact, lots of people will hate it. Given the intelligence of the average consumer, that's the finest calling card I can imagine for a mainstream concept film.

I'm a capitalist with an economics degree, so don't take this the wrong way, but this movie is the perfect assault on the concept of the economy being anything more than a means to an end, both critical and wary of the hollow, pathetic stupidity and vulnerability of the populace that has nothing better to do than participate in it and buy their hopes and dreams off the rack at Target. Even beneath this, the strong flavor of empowerment, Nietzsche-style, makes itself known with the charisma of the finest salesman and challenges everyone to find a better way. At once subverting society and subverting itself, the layered texture of the whole thing is probably too good for mass consumption. Well done. This one is now at the top of my list for best, and therefore most entertaining, films I've ever seen. Perfect ten.