IMDb > Fight Club (1999) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Fight Club

Fight Club More at IMDbPro »

Page 12 of 282: [Prev][7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [22] [Next]

Pure Fincher Talent.

Author: amber_maishment from United Kingdom
8 March 2014

"You cannot be told what Fight Club is; you have to see it for yourself. But only if you think you're hard enough."

Fight Club, directed by David Fincher already had an established fan-base before it hit theatres in 1999 due to the cult novel it was adapted from by Chuck Palahniuk. It is very clear from Fincher's previous work such as Seven (1995), that he has a talented knack for capturing the murkier side of life. He is one of the most alluring visual stylists in cinema who has a very shadowy vision of human nature. These visualisations are portrayed through his narratives which are usually violent and very distinctive; mostly dark, stylish thrillers where every single frame has been calculated to push us closer to the edge as the films progress. Fincher has shown this very effectively in Fight Club, as this movie is no less dark or disturbing than his other work.

Fight Club is a dark comic drama, which takes you on a wild ride, luring you in before turning you upside down with a brutal, shocking and frequently unpleasant story; but it is also one of the most brilliant films I have ever seen. It is certainly not a movie that deserved to flop massively on its original release. Some of this negativity could be down to the social context of the time; including the horrific 1999 Columbine shootings. A fraction of the public saw the use of guns and violence in the movie inappropriate for what was happening during this period, which evidently dented the box-office revenue.

Edward Norton gives the performance of his career, playing the narrator; there is an on-going debate about whether his name is Jack (the name he refers to during the movie), or Joe (the name he refers to in the book), or whether neither of these are really his name…so we'll stick with calling him the narrator for now. The narrator is a 30-year-old single, nerdy, insomniac, with a highly unsatisfactory white-collar job, which he gets nothing from. He starts searching for some form of emotion in his soulless world by attending support groups for illnesses, such as testicular cancer. Before long, this becomes a weighty addiction. Finding comfort in these sessions, the narrator comes across a trampy but sexy, sceptical, free spirit junkie, Marla, played by the forever-amazing Helena Bonham-Carter. Doing what she does best; Carter is playing her fearless yet dark roles, which are also later shown in the very successful Harry Potter series and Burton's Sweeny Todd (2007). As Marla invades more and more of his gatherings, the narrator is feeling uncomfortable and is in need of a change.

His stimulus and motivation arrives with Tyler Durden. Once again in Fincher's hands, Brad Pitt is at the top of his game and at the heart of this black comic picture, not afraid of getting his pretty little face dirty. As Fincher throws us more twists and turns on his narrative roller-coaster ride, the narrator's apartment explodes and he has nobody else to call upon but Durden. So they share a beer and indulge in a bizarre fist-up in a car park. Although he is black and blue, the narrator has never felt so alive and before we know it, they have routed their aggression into a shocking form of therapy; beating each other up. This initiates pain not only for each other, but for the viewer also, causing our stomachs and guts to turn and flip; however we simply cannot look away.

Brad Pitt is a great choice and memorable actor to play the very anti-consumerist Durden, who is fed up of the material world that we live in, where "the things you own end up owning you". He plans to abolish this nature of society by creating Project Mayhem. Project Mayhem follows Marxism, where in this society the rich upper class that owns the means of production exploits the labour of the lower class. Also anarchy, in the remarkable final scene of the movie where Durden blows up the sky-scraping incorporate businesses and credit card companies, results in the erasing of all debt and making all people in society equal. Fincher develops the narrative by using the occasional freeze-frames to punctuate the action and the subliminal flashes are added for humour. The light comedy contrasts the dark atmosphere and mood of the film and its violence. Although it is violent and funny, it is also a very psychological and complex film to follow.

There is an amazing choice of actors who all ensemble together creating worthy and very plausible chemistry on screen. Pitt has highly dangerous yet completely fearless behaviour, presented in the shocking chemical hand-burn scene. He plays his role with such intensity but is also very comical. Norton demonstrates his talent, giving a very unique performance, which cannot be as easy as he makes it look. Bonham-Carter plays the femme fatal manic- depressive character, although somehow still portrays her mysterious and sexy side very successfully.

Every aspect of this amazingly directed and performed movie has been worked at until perfect, comparable with all of Fincher's work, from the music, cinematography, screenplay, lighting and pace. Fight Club is one of the few films that I can bear to watch more than once or twice. However, since watching this adrenaline rush of a movie, I have watched it maybe 6 or 7 times at the very least. It is a film that you can watch over and over again without getting bored, but still finds new things to love and enjoy every single time you see it. It's a film you can continuously laugh and cringe at. You can attempt to close your eyes at the extreme violence but continuously fail at doing, wanting to witness more of this incredible picture. 'Mischief. Mayhem. Soap'

brad pit just seems to be in a lot of places in this movie

Author: jessegittens from Trinidad and Tobago
25 February 2014

I recently watched a couple of movies. Very old movies more from the nineties are rather interesting. The two thousands has it's quirks. It occurred to me that although movies from the past are better. Movies at present are starting to be a lot more educational. Take for example " the butler" is an educational and inspiring. So i cant be biased and say that old movies are the best. When there are some really good ones at present to be highlighted. Movies are windows for one to access the world. May the movie world live long. Although they may not be all we expected we must still appreciate the time, money and effort that actors and directors and producers take to make these movies.

I don't get it. Or maybe I do.

Author: Neil Welch from United Kingdom
17 February 2014

The (unnamed) narrator encounters this bloke called Tyler Durden, and they take to knocking seven bells out of each other. As you do. If fact, it's so much fun that they recruit others into their Fight Club, and other Fight Clubs start up. And then there is a revelation, welcome to a shock disclosure, which makes everything which has gone before a bit difficult to credit. Then there's a bit more, then it's the end.

This is pretentious stuff. But because it is so down, dirty and gritty, it has acquired a reputation as being Significant and Important. It isn't. It is definitely moderately entertaining (if seedy and unpleasant), has some good performances and dialogue, and the twist/reveal is effective, but I am somewhat bemused at finding it occupying 10th best film ever as of today's date.

It's OK, but overrated.

Excellent

Author: yareninmekani
10 February 2014

This movie is very beautiful.I watch one of the most beautiful movie. Brad Pitt is excellent actor. i like this movie. I was surprised but i have got a problem. if the narrator is Tyler, who stole car? How the narrator watched this event outside. I felt sorry for dövülmüş.I think the narrator should be treated. Marla that is very unnecessary. If she not to be never doesn't change anything for the movie. I think people shouldn't get away of their problems. In my opinion, last of movie shouldn't surprise. I'm confused. But nonetheless, it was very nice. It should be continue. Because I was very impressed. I would like once again.

Fabulously Shot

Author: (vorachonprinceofretail@gmail.com)
7 February 2014

Lovely movie that picks at your brain. Great cinematic effects with superb performances. One of Brad Pitt's best. Helena Bonham Carter as usual is in her prime performing on screen. Subtle contemporary costume design and marvelous editing. Extremely hesitant of watching this movie but decided to pop it in one day. Very great movie but not exactly one of my favorites. Entertaining enough but definitely not something of my usual taste!

Edward Norton is also not to be unnoticed. Far from what I expect with a twist on character arches. Personally I thought this literally would be a movie about fighting. However I learned more about the complexities of the mind through each chapter of this picture.

You Are Not Your F'king Khakis.

Author: The Seperator _
7 February 2014

Nearly everyone knows the rules, number one of which I'm about to break.

What do you do if you're sick of your boring, pathetic life? In the most cathartic, DIY approach possible, Fight Club answers this question: you change it. The absolute prototype of an existential thriller, it wouldn't be taking too much of a leap to suggest that Fight Club is one of the best films ever made.

Jim Uhls' excellently adapted screenplay of Chuck Palahniuk's novel (this is the only major work by Uhls that I can find), this thriller has been exciting male audiences the world over since its release in 1999. Even Palahniuk himself said the film was amazing. In fact, he admitted that film was so good, the book in comparison made him feel ashamed.

A nameless, pitiful, seemingly friend and family-less Office worker (Edward Norton) suffers from insomnia. True to Palahniuk's style, the solution to the insomnia comes in a bizarre way. He finds relief by attending support groups for diseases, diseases he doesn't have; these people really listen to him, and afterwards, he sleeps. At these meetings he meets Marla Singer (Helena Bonham Character), a nemesis and lover, and it is through her that Mr. Office worker discovers his true self, but not until after he's transformed more than just his own life.

Mr. Pitiful Office worker meets Tyler Durden (Brad Pitt). Durden helps Mr. Pitiful Office worker admit to his misery once and for all. Channeling their suppressed male aggression in its rawest form, they start fighting each other. Soon Mr. Pitiful Office worker realizes that he and Durden are not alone.

Men, downtrodden, tired of their insignificance as worthless individuals all aim to do something greater. They jump at the chance to vent their primal steam, and the solo fights turn into group fights.

Durden's vision eventually transcends aggression in its physical form and becomes something much greater, a community where the individual ceases to exist. As part of this whole, every unnamed member is an equal and significant contributor, and it is through the whole that the individual finds meaning. As part of the whole they are changing the future together.

This movie is a directing marvel. With time shifts, psychological manipulations, and very meticulous scene planning, we are kept on the edge of our seats for the entire film. Accompanied by the pounding soundtrack composed by the Dust Brothers, Fincher achieves the rarity of making a movie better than a book. Fincher turns the concrete basement of Lou's Tavern into perhaps the most famous arena in all of modern film. The house on Paper Street, a lone abandoned mansion, becomes a factory of redefinition, of reinvention. In the final scene an amazing mesh between the visuals and the music, The Pixies' "Where is my Mind," Fincher creates one of the most stunning combinations of sight and sound in all of film. And it's a pretty damn good ending to the plot too.

The most memorable scene is when Durden is behind the wheel of a car full of passengers. He buckles up, pins the gas, and lets go of the wheel. The car veers off the road and crashes, flipping multiple times. We are force fed the hard truth here. The Fight Club mantra: to change to our lives we need to rid ourselves of our past failures, forget the job, the kids, the car, the living room, the flat screen HDTV, and just let go.

Get more at David Fincher and more at getthebonesaw.blogspot.com

Great movie worth watching over and over.

Author: Jon Brown from Ohio
20 January 2014

Really enjoyed this movie, even where it differed from the novel, which is rare for me. From the first scene to the end credits I was completely memorized by the constantly evolving story lines and instantly classic quotes. This combined with the large numbers of great actors makes this one of my personal favorites. I highly suggest that anyone who hasn't watched this movie to give it a chance. Among my favorite scenes were the ones involving Tyler speaking about his father while taking a bath, and the scene where he is addressing the members of fight club saying how a whole generation is stuck pumping gas and wasting their lives. The two monologues that he gives in those scenes emphasize some of the more major concerns that men in today's society have to face everyday.

Fight Club

Author: casajb91 from Italy
20 January 2014

The fight club is an vent valve, frequented by people from every social class, a place where violence extinguishes the pains of the human soul and the fear outside the borders our body. An introspective film, with an ending that twists the full sense of the history that makes it the second poor vision. The characters, both protagonists who do not, I think they are deliberately not outlined, but at the same time very charismatic. The location, very evocative soundtrack and a very good standard, giving the feeling of a oppressive society, who can not find a way to go, in a world created by the powerful for the powerful. The climate is perpetually tense and the the rhythm is very smooth, all seasoned with a good director.

MY REVIEW: Join the Club!!

Author: Sandeep Gupta from Jaipur, India
13 January 2014

Fight Club. Starring Brad Pitt and Edward Norton. Edward an insomniac office worker looking for a way to change his life crosses paths with a devil-may-care soap maker Brad and they form an underground fight club that evolves into something much, much more. It's not an easy movie, it's dangerous, brutal, confrontational, a satire on modern life, brilliantly acted, packs hell lot of clap worthy one liners and above all has a distinctive tone to himself that you can't take your eyes off even for a second. Director David Fincher quite clearly understands when to go fast, when to pause so that you can enjoy the delicious scenes. He takes you through a thrilling roller coaster ride with an array of crazy characters in crazy places and in crazy circumstances. I personally did not like the way it ended but that's just a nitpicking. Don't Miss It!!

cool movie

Author: grotasbatam batam from Indonesia
12 January 2014

Fight Club is multi-faceted movie about a man who is deeply unsatisfied with his life in the modern age, even with all the trappings of success that much of our society is based on, and decides to go off the beaten path to find his own personal satisfaction. From that point on the movie spirals out of control and into the abyss. This is a good thing. The movie holds many meanings and shows the characters in favorable and unfavorable ways. It does not try to cast things in a typical good and evil view point, nor does it say whether the choices the protagonist and the rest of the cast make are sound ones. One of the things it does do is look into the nature of our past, viewing the structure of our society and analyzing why we do what we do to live. It isn't until the narrator (Edward Norton) begins to destroy himself that he finally comes to realize what matters to him. That is when he meets two important characters, Marla Singer and Tyler Durden. It is during this time that the narrator escapes from his normal life by hosting with Tyler an underground fight club that evolved from the two just fighting outside of a local bar. Taking in Tyler's view on life, which is somewhat refreshing and scary at the same time, they form a close bond strongly resembling a married couple. The two do everything together and the narrator begins to emulate Tyler more and more, all the while the fight club grows stronger and stronger until it has become this cult-like phenomenon with Tyler and the narrator as leaders making rules for conducting fight club. Anarchy and non-conformity is their message, which I believe is meant to underscore the irony of fight club and their non-conformist, fight the man attitude. As the group evolves into something more dangerous, this irony becomes more apparent in the way those who once questioned the established authority, now blindly follow their "non-conformist" new group. Its been a little over a decade since Fight Club "enlightened" me, but it still gives me the same conflicting feelings about its message and the nature of humanity in general. There are those who would take it at its face value and see nothing but frustrated, grown men beating each other senselessly, and that's a shame because there is definitely much more going on then that. David Fincher has crafted an excellent movie: it's disgustingly stylish in its execution...almost too much, if that's possible. The sound track, done by the Dust Brothers burrowed it's way into my brain and never left. The movie would not be the same without it. As far as the actors performances, Ed Norton and Brad Pitt both have a strong rapport and the scenes come off naturally, while Helena Bonham Carter's Marla is hauntingly tragic, and filled with a desperate, but subtle sadness to her. At the time of the original screening this movie polarized people into the two camps of love or hate, due to it's ability to offended or amaze, but I wouldn't have it any other way